More hope...... maybe I shouldn't (Rubio rumor)

i agree that it would be great if we could get him with the 4th. but i thought he'd be comfortable playing in memphis since marc gasol is there.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think we WILL have to trade up, because, correct me if I'm mistaken, Rubio has already implied that he'd stay in Europe if he wasn't a top 2 pick?

More leverage for both Rubio and the Kings though. Maybe we can just take on Jaric and the #2 for KT's expiring and #4? I'd also throw in #31 if people thought it was robbery.

More leverage for both Rubio and the Kings though. Maybe we can just take on Jaric and the #2 for KT's expiring and #4? I'd also throw in #31 if people thought it was robbery.
what people? the people that let allstar pau gasol go to the lakers for kwame brown, marc gasol and some change? its times like this where i wish the memphis front office are really that dumb and we steal away the #2 pick and jaric for the #4 and noc

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
The Clippers will take griffin with out a doubt, and it seems Fegan think Sacramento is the next best place for Rubio. Maybe we could get something done if rubio would threaten return to europe before playing for memphis.

I posted this earlier in another thread but it seems more relevant here:

I think that we could potentially trade with Memphis. They really need a big more than a point guard. It would make sense for them to either trade with the Clippers for the 1st pick. Something along the lines of #2, Gay and Gasol for #1, Kaman and Thornton. Clips get a future stud PG, shed salary and get a good wing. The Griz meanwhile upgrade at PF and C and get a poor man's version of Gay back.

If they can't work that out, they may be content to get another legit PF like Hill if we throw in some young players and picks, since they already have Conley at PG. Something along the lines of the 4, Greene and #23 for #2 + filler.

Talked with a couple of knowledgeable friends who aren't Kings fans about this and consensus was don't hold your breath, but it sounds workable. It just depends on if Chris Wallace thinks Rubio is a potential star or just marginally better than Conley.

Report: Rubio doesn't want to play in Memphis or OKC

While Oklahoma City would obviously be extremely interested in the prospect of acquiring the top pick and drafting local product Blake Griffin, there is one team standing in their way – the Memphis Grizzlies, who own the #2 pick. From what people around the league are saying, Rubio’s camp may already be sending out feelers indicating that he’s not interested in the least bit in playing in Memphis.

“Rubio doesn’t want to go to Memphis, and he especially does not want to pay money out of his own pocket with that huge buyout for the honor of doing so. Fegan [Rubio’s agent] wants him in L.A., and if he can’t have him there, he wants him in Sacramento. Definitely not Oklahoma City.

Unlike Griffin or Hasheem Thabeet, who don’t really have any choice where they will play next season if a team decides to play hardball, Rubio has a reasonably attractive alternative option at his disposal—returning to Spain.

“He’ll pull out if he doesn’t like what he’s hearing,” the NBA source tells us. “Or he can stay in and force the Grizzlies to call his bluff—would they really take him knowing that he may never come over? That’s one way to get him to fall to three.”

Fegan is already highly experienced in these matters, having unsuccessfully attempted to navigate fellow client Yi Jianlian towards the team of his choice in the 2007 draft, only to see Milwaukee foil his plans and pick him anyway. This time, though, he has a lot more leverage, as Rubio would likely have no problem staying in Badalona for another year or two or more if push came to shove. His buyout after all, is yet to be resolved, which in this case may actually be an advantage.

The Grizzlies are clearly aware of the politics surrounding their pick, but do not appear to be in any rush to make any decisions. “We’ll talk about all those things when they come up,” their General Manager Chris Wallace told us. “Right now we’re still in evaluation mode. We haven’t had any conversations with him [Rubio] or anyone else in his camp.”

Wallace shared that he will be headed out to Spain this weekend to watch Rubio compete in game three of the ACB playoffs, where Joventut will try to advance to the semifinals with a road win over Real Madrid. “I sent someone out there last week to watch him in the playoffs just in case we were able to move up,” Wallace told us. “He’s hardly a sleeper and he hasn’t been very difficult to track. We feel very comfortable with what we know about him right now.”

When asked whether Mike Conley’s status as Memphis’ tentative starter will deter the Grizzlies from selecting another point guard, Wallace indicated that that won’t be a factor. “We’re not in a position to be drafting for need. We’re going to go after the biggest talent available, whether that’s a big man or a point guard or whatever.”

What might make the most sense on paper would be for the Clippers and Grizzlies to work out a trade in which Memphis could take Griffin and Los Angeles would get Rubio. For that to happen, Memphis would have to part with one of their core assets, likely Rudy Gay. Obviously we’ll have to stay tuned, because as John Hollinger correctly indicated in his latest column last night’s lottery left more questions than answers for the teams drafting in the top 5.
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#NBA-Draft-Roundup-May-20-3224

:eek:Boy do i hope we somehow snag Rubio. One thing is for certain...getting the Number 4 pick has definitely sparked what will be some crazy rumors and conversation around here for the next few weeks.

is he serious? his agent?

if he is i see a trade up coming through

i really hope so.

strategically if his agents want rubio to get MORE and legit playing time its here... cause we all know wed rather see him start over udrih..

Last edited:

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Didn't work with Yi and it certainly won't work with Rubio!
The problem is that had Yi stayed in China, he might not have been thought of as highly, could have had a bad year, etc. - some people still don't think he's as young as he says he is. Playing for the People's Republic is different than playing in Spain. Rubio can spend the offseason working on his release and other aspects of the game, and come back stronger. Rubio can very happily go back to Spain for another year because of the ridiculous buyout he's been saddled with. In this case, I agree with the article in that Rubio has a ton more leverage than Yi did.

Either way, when was the last time a player said he wanted to come to Sacramento? Strike while the iron's hot.

The problem is that had Yi stayed in China, he might not have been thought of as highly, could have had a bad year, etc. - some people still don't think he's as young as he says he is. Playing for the People's Republic is different than playing in Spain. Rubio can spend the offseason working on his release and other aspects of the game, and come back stronger. Rubio can very happily go back to Spain for another year because of the ridiculous buyout he's been saddled with. In this case, I agree with the article in that Rubio has a ton more leverage than Yi did.

Either way, when was the last time a player said he wanted to come to Sacramento? Strike while the iron's hot.
Look nothing would make me happier than to see Rubio in Kings' purple.

But lets be realistic here. The team will call his bluff. He is too competative and too much of a talent to play europe for years. I read somewhere that his buy out actually goes up after this year which really throws the spanner into works. If that is the case then finacially it makes most sense for him to come out this year.

I could potentially see Memphis getting scared and picking Thabeet especially if the reports that they really like him are true but Presti is a smart operator and a great negotiator, he WILL pick Rubio.

Now, we can all come up with dream trade scenarios but chances are nothing short of JT and pick 4 gets us pick 2 or 3 to get Rubio.

Look, I would love to have this kid on our team and surely we are due for some luck but looking at this realistically, its highly unlikely that he gets overlooked by Memphis AND OKC. Our best chance to get him is to move up and trade with Memphis but really, I can see them asking for JT to be included in any package deal. Don't get me wrong, JT is tradeable but getting Rubio at the expense of JT would cover one hole but open up another one.

Other than JT, I don't think we have the pieces that Memphis would find attractive. They need a PF in a major way and the players we would be willing to give up are the ones that they have enough of. With Mayo and Gay they have the 2 and 3 spot covered and those would be the type of players we would be willing to offer.

We could take back a bad contract but that really impact our ability to land that FA to complement the young players we have.

But this line up would at least be watchable next season

Hawes
Thompson
Nocioni
Martin
Rubio

^^ that may be true. But if he really doesn't want to play for memphis then why would he pay to play there? Like the article says, there's a ton of risk for both OKC and Memphis to because if they draft him, he could potentially go back to Joventut to finish his contract (I think 2 years?).

And again, why would anyone pay to play in a place you don't even want to be in? IMO it's not a bluff and that he'd actually do it. Fegan is his agent and he almost did it with Yi, who had no leverage whatsoever. Rubio, however, has all the leverage in the world. He can pull out of the draft and still be eligible to enter 2 or 3 more times (I think). He can get drafted, but go back to Europe to finish up his contract. Both of those options are very real and WILL scare Memphis and OKC.

All in all, I'd like to see a more legit source than DX. Hopefully, Fegan and Co. make it a really public thing like they did with Yi. All the better for Sac if the media (especially the Spanish media) gets involved.

Edit: Just to clarify, I don't think Rubio will slip to #4. We will definitely have to trade up with Memphis, but I don't think we'll have to give up much. Like the article says, #4+#23+KT(expiring) for #2 and Marko Jaric/Adriana Lima. Memphis will be more willing to deal if Rubio keeps up the pressure. They need a PF and will become enamored with Hill at the Combine IMO in light of this. I doubt they go the Griffin route. They'd be giving up too much and the Clippers fanbase (if they have any) will commit mass suicide. Griffin SHOULD be picked #1. That's not set in stone though, since it is the Clippers after all.

Last edited:
Repost from closed thread:

First off, Fegan tried this with Yi Jianlian, they called his bluff, and he ended up looking like an idiot. I don't think his preferences carry much weight.

Second, I'm still just not very excited about Rubio.

i think rubio has more going for him than yi.

but i agree with you that there is not much to be excited about this draft aside from the possibility we can trade up. and the other options we have.

this is a weak draft compared to last year.. but its not as weak as the year kwame was drafted thats for sure..

seriously this could be our chance...

is he serious? his agent?

if he is i see a trade up coming through

i really hope so.

strategically if his agents want rubio to get MORE and legit playing time its here... cause we all know wed rather see him start over udrih..
Well, not only would he get a better shot in Sac at the starting PG position from the start, but GP has a history of making careers out of international players, and having the fanbase embrace them, something I don't think is lost on Rubio and his agent.

In Memphis, he would be competing with Conley, and may not start. Plus, they may not even pick him. In OKC, he would be competing with Westbrook. His best position as a top pick for making a splash in the league is here with the Kings.

Last edited:
the thing is, Rubio's preferences do. He can still pull out of the draft or he can get drafted but never come over ala Fran Vazquez. Does Memphis or OKC really want to gamble on that?

I also don't think he's a diva at all. He's pretty much PAYING to play in the NBA. Why pay for a team you don't want to play for? It's not like Yi. Yi didn't have 7 million to pay. Ricky does. Simple. He has more leverage than you think due to the options he has, which, again, are VERY REAL.

Story has now been showing up on some more of the more popular NBA rumor sites. Take them with a grain of salt, but the more publicity this gets, the more real it sounds.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12714

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NBA&hl=115716&id=1596

Well, not only would he get a better shot in Sac at the starting PG position from the start, but GP has a history of making careers out of international players, and having the fanbase embrace them, something I don't think is lost on Rubio and his agent.

In Memphis, he would be competing with Conley, and may not start. Plus, they may not even pick him. In OKC, he would be competing with Westbrook. His best position as a top pick for making a splash in the league is here with the Kings.

oh yeah petrie has been making stars out of international players.. peja and hedo are two of his examples...

udrih has performed well here too.. compared to his other seasons.. vlade made his mark here.

sac is the best choice.. he could revive the jwill days in sac. only with better defense

Love the rumors, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Memphis and the Clippers swapping picks, with Memphis sending another player or taking a contract