ESPN taking note on JT's crying

S

sactownfan

Jason Thompson, Kings
On his way out of town, Brad Miller mentioned that Thompson needs to stop complaining to the referees so much. It's time JT does exactly that. He's not getting calls, but neither are most rookies on most nights.

It's true Thompson plays with toughness and gets into lots of contact situations. But maintaining his composure and just battling hard every night accomplishes two things: (1) It keeps him focused on the tasks at hand, and (2) prevents him from earning a rep as a whiner. Both are net positives for Thompson and the Kings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=thorpe_david&page=Rookies-090225

YOU know its bad when freakn brad miller is telling you to dial it down. wow!
seriously JT needs to shut his mouth.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Last game it looked like he may have been consciously avoiding the demonstrative stuff -- think somebody said something to him.

And yes, when Brad Miller says you should tone it down, that's pretty humiliating.

Jason Thompson, Kings
On his way out of town, Brad Miller mentioned that Thompson needs to stop complaining to the referees so much. It's time JT does exactly that. He's not getting calls, but neither are most rookies on most nights.

It's true Thompson plays with toughness and gets into lots of contact situations. But maintaining his composure and just battling hard every night accomplishes two things: (1) It keeps him focused on the tasks at hand, and (2) prevents him from earning a rep as a whiner. Both are net positives for Thompson and the Kings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=thorpe_david&page=Rookies-090225

YOU know its bad when freakn brad miller is telling you to dial it down. wow!
seriously JT needs to shut his mouth.

haha... I wonder where he learned it from....... *ahem.... Brad... :rolleyes:

Haha that is pretty telling.. Seriously though I find myself telling my TV to stop whining about the calls at least once every game. It's my least favorite part about JT right now.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
You know, when I watched the Dallas game it was the first Kings game I've been able to watch in at least a month and I distinctly remember two times that Thompson got called for a shooting foul when his hands were straight up in the air, he didn't move, and the offensive player jumped into him. The first time it was Dampier and the second time it was Dirk. I don't like players whining to the refs on every call, but if he's been getting a lot of calls like that against him I can understand his frustration. The refs would never give him that call against Dirk on the other end of the floor. Maybe as he rookie he just has to suck it up until he learns all the same crafty ref baiting tricks as everyone else, but I hardly blame him for getting a little hot headed at times if it makes me mad just watching it happen.

I think its about time we stop giving JT crap for this. He's realized what he was doing and from the looks of the last game he's trying to change it. Lets not patronize him while he's learning.

Entity

Hall of Famer
yeah the whinning gets old. But also in his defense he gets foul called on him for things that other players do the whole game and never get called for a foul. In fact I see fouls all during the game alot worse that aren't called.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I do think a big factor in JT's constant whining was Mr. Miller. If brad would have just shut his mouth and played the game instead of whining every other trip down the floor JT probably wouldn't be complaining to the extent he has been. Of course part of the blame is on JT, but his surroundings(Brad) didn't have a real positive effect on him.

In his defense, he is getting hacked alot, purely because the other players know he is a rookie and won't get that call.
Exactly...

He shouldn't complain about it but at the same time I understand. It's like there are different rules for JT.

Oh, and I hate it when people use the word crying....he's complaining and I didn't see any tears coming down his face...

I do think a big factor in JT's constant whining was Mr. Miller. If brad would have just shut his mouth and played the game instead of whining every other trip down the floor JT probably wouldn't be complaining to the extent he has been. Of course part of the blame is on JT, but his surroundings(Brad) didn't have a real positive effect on him.
Maybe that's why we saw sudden improvement in the last game.

JT gets a block or two a game that the ref always calls a foul. Sure his complaining is excessive at times, but I think its not too big of a problem. Once the refs start to respect JT more and give the correct calls, he'll respect them right back.

I don't understand why it's always been okay that rookies and young players are officiated differently. The nba would benefit if the rules were rules instead of how the league is now, where the unwritten rules apply more often than the written rules. People just accept something that is wrong merely because it has existed for a long time.

Not sure why Brad is talking about crying? He's the biggest cry baby in the league... :confused:

I definitely agree with him though. I've been noticing this alot. JT throws a temper tantrum every game. How about you start worrying about your *****y *** defense and shut up about the calls. You're not the first rook to not get calls. Quit your crying and quit falling for every damn pump fake.

isnt JT's dad a referee i can understand why he is going to be frustrated with a lot of fouls called on him when HE KNOWS if its a foul or not... rookies tend to be magnets to foul... next year he will settle down and get a little more comfortable on defense

but overall what do you guys think of JT's Defense...

off topic

how bout hawe's too? was there an improvement little or none