Rubio renegotiating buyout may enter in 2009

I would have used Jason Williams as the low lever prediction.. Reason why is that he will show you passes that are Williams'esque.
Well, that's not that important really. Also, Ridnour can make some pretty spectacular passes himself, he just isn't as wild as jwill to actually do them in a game. I thought Ridnour was more comparable athletically to Rubio than Williams.

Ha. I like how you lump Paul, Deron, Nash, and Davis in there. Com'on, I suspect even Rubio lovers don't believe he'll be in those company in terms of offense.

So if being in the company of Rondo, an over-the-hill-Kidd, and Calderon warrants a top 3 pick to you; I have nothing to say.

We need a PG though, not a slow unathletic SG... Harden does nothing really for rebuilding of our team with a 10m/yr SG in front of him.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I love how you've already decided that I haven't seen hiim play.

And I love that you somehow know that I have a stereotypical Euro nonsense.

I have seen him played both at international and club levels. On nbatv and international channels both in the states and overseas. And the more I see him play, the less I like him. I'm not going to repeat what his weaknesses are, you guys know that already and you still like him. Fine.

But I suspect that if any of you watched him play as much as I did, your opinion would be similar to mine.
Thanks for your input. It seems like the people who have actually seen him play aren't huge fans.

Thanks for your input. It seems like the people who have actually seen him play aren't huge fans.
I have seen him quite a bit and I have liked him more and more each time I see him play. Download some of his games on bittorrent providing the seeds are there.

Think of a bigger taller Jason Williams who is a better defender. Think of Arco (and the new Arena when built 'crosses fingers') full to capacity cheering everything this kid does. Think of the team getting better because we have a real PG and not some undersized SG masquerading as a PG like Teague, or Curry.

Now POTENTIAL wise think of a JWill type passer with a Nash type floor IQ, and a Calderon type A/to ratio. Potentially we could have this with Rubio..

I have no idea why someone might not like his potential.. They say he's too slow or whatever or not strong enough, but the kid is 18.... He will get better. I have never seen a basketball player peak at 18.

Take a look at the source and who he wants..

I have watch a fair amount of Rubio's games and highlights... I'm a fan of his as well, he does have a risk factor coming in because I'm not so sure he'll be used to the pace of the NBA which make some of his passes and chances on defense higher of a risk. He does have poor form for a jump shot, and he really doesn't have a quick first step but I think his overall speed is pretty quick. He does have GREAT court vision and basketball IQ, he always knows where his team is on the court and has the ability imo to turn things into fast breaks with those skills. He's pretty smart with the ball, he does take his chances but they are usually in his favor (like I said I'm not sure how it'll work out in the NBA but you have to assume the best) I think he'd be a great pick for us because he can distribute the ball amazingly well which is one of the things that absolutely plagues us, and plays defense (another weak point we currently have). Sure he probably won't shoot as well as Beno or Bibby, but I feel he's going to be an elite ball distributor who won't turn it over. That's my stand on him, I'm willing to live with the negatives because they are things he can work on (except for the quick first step)

I have no idea why someone might not like his potential..
To be fair, no one on this board said to dislike Rubio's potential.

The difference is how good they think Rubio will be and whether his projection is good enough to be a top pick in each person's respective opinion.

My mistake.. Thought u wanted Harden above any other player if we had the #1.. If that's not the case then sorry.

When watching a guy like Rubio it's really hard for me to see why people might not like him. Especially in a draft like this years where pretty much every player is a question mark. Why not take the question mark we need most which will put fans in the seats? Worst case we have another JWill type player who ooooooooo's and awwwww's the fans.

If you had to think about any player in this years draft who would put fans in the seats who would it be? Rubio definitely. Plus he has pretty much the same potential that all the others have so it would be a win-win situation for the Maloofs. Also, Geoff loves players like Rubio as well, and I am sure he has either scouted him or sent someone to scout him.

I know I know.. BPA... If Rubio were 22 - 23 years old then I might think twice, but PG being the hardest spot to fill IMO because of the issues with chemistry, and making everyone around you better as well as yourself, I would have to go with a PG of Rubio's potential.

Last edited:
My mistake.. Thought u wanted Harden above any other player if we had the #1.. If that's not the case then sorry.

When watching a guy like Rubio it's really hard for me to see why people might not like him. Especially in a draft like this years where pretty much every player is a question mark. Why not take the question mark we need most which will put fans in the seats? Worst case we have another JWill type player who ooooooooo's and awwwww's the fans.

If you had to think about any player in this years draft who would put fans in the seats who would it be? Rubio definitely. Plus he has pretty much the same potential that all the others have so it would be a win-win situation for the Maloofs. Also, Geoff loves players like Rubio as well, and I am sure he has either scouted him or sent someone to scout him.

I know I know.. BPA... If Rubio were 22 - 23 years old then I might think twice, but PG being the hardest spot to fill IMO because of the issues with chemistry, and making everyone around you better as well as yourself, I would have to go with a PG of Rubio's potential.
I have no idea how anyone can watch him and not be at least a little terrified that he could bust for lack of athleticism.

I have seen quite a bit of Rubio, and he would bring Jason Williams like excitement back to the Kings. He would put butts in the seats, and he has a higher ceiling that Williams.

He didn't do the greatest in the Olympics, but you have to remember this was a 17 year old kid playing against top NBA, and world talent. You can see by watching him how good he can, and will be.

If he was available this year the Kings would be dumb not to take him.. It would be a financial as well as a team improving decision.

I am being totally serious when I write this, but this kid really does have the potential to be a 15-20ppg 10-12apg 1.5-2.5spg kind of player who makes players around him better. He's that good. Plus he's still real young. We would have him at 19 years old.
This coming from a guy who's favorite player is/was Shelden Williams.

I understand your point. Truly, I do. And if Rubio is the BPA then I'm all for picking him. It's just that I think we need a franchise player, be he a SF,PF or other positions, more than we need a PG. I do think there is a franchise player in this draft, as a small market team, we cannot afford to pass up a superstar in this rare chance at a high pick.

I do think Rubio is good but he's not franchise (strictly imo). I can see him being a good fit with the Kings but I cannot see him as player who carrys a team on his back like a CP or Deron. While there are a couple of other guys who may just be the type who can carry a franchise (but the jury is still out of course).

I'm not basing any of my observations on stats, but from how they looked in the game. Regardless of how many points he scored, there's no way in a million years I would have come away from that game thinking that Rubio and LeBron have equal abilities because they had similar stats.

Regardless of Navarro's skills, he looked quicker than Rubio and influenced the gold medal game much more. I'm not saying we should go sign Navarro, but rather just pointing out that that Navarro had trouble in the NBA in part because he wasn't quick enough -- and yet looked quicker to me than Rubio.

Unless Rubio is getting quicker as he ages (which I suppose is possible, but not usually how it works), he's going to have problems in the NBA.
And let's also add that to be worthy of a lotto pick in NBA draft, esp. Top 5, you should be scoring double figures in the Euro league, I don't care how old you are. Rubio is scoring, what, 5 points a game, that doesn't cut it, even if he is a pass first player.

A lot of the fascination over this guy I think is because he has a cool name, has a cool style and look, which of course amounts to diddily squat when it comes to wins and losses.

In my mind, you put this guy through the pre-draft work out, assess his size and speed, performance in shooting drills, 2-on-2 games, etc. If this turns out all positive, and I trust Geoff's assessment, then we take the kid. Until then, he is a bust waiting to happen.

Seems like a lot of people are comparing Rubio to Jason Williams. But Jason Williams was actually an excellent athlete, with hops and quickness. He also had a decent jumpshot. The only things Rubio have on Jason is height and basketball IQ. Jason had alot of talent, but he wasn't the smartest player around. Jason would eat Rubio alive in a game of one-on-one.

Seems like a lot of people are comparing Rubio to Jason Williams. But Jason Williams was actually an excellent athlete, with hops and quickness. He also had a decent jumpshot. The only things Rubio have on Jason is height and basketball IQ. Jason had alot of talent, but he wasn't the smartest player around. Jason would eat Rubio alive in a game of one-on-one.
I don't know about that, I think Rubio has some pretty intense defense as well... But what would a 1v1 game matter between them? It's all speculation that wouldn't lead to anything meaningful in this thread

This coming from a guy who's favorite player is/was Shelden Williams.
lol sure dude.. I said he was one of my favorite COLLEGE players, and I still am a fan of his because I had been following him for so long.. BTW what the heck does being a fan of someone have to do with this? Pure retardedness on your part.

Last edited:
He will never be the star athlete but I am sure he will improve greatly as he is only 18.
Most people are as athletic as they're going to be at 18. They get better and stronger and more skilled, but in terms of sheer quickness and running and jumping, who you are at 18 is pretty much who you are.

Most people are as athletic as they're going to be at 18. They get better and stronger and more skilled, but in terms of sheer quickness and running and jumping, who you are at 18 is pretty much who you are.
True statement
But then against not everyone develops the Court Vision, BBall IQ, and distributing the ball as well as a Rubio with all the natural talents!

wouldnt say that i was way more sluggish when i was 18 that was 4 years ago im a lot quicker and stronger now though.... and hell im not an athlete :D im lazy

regardless... maybe we can use some of that 500k that we got from cap relief and actually help buy out rubio... you dont pass up on an 18 year old with the brains of a veteran with the leadership and swagger...

the kid has been playing against men and i repeat MEN.... unlike most college players who play at the same age....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYV5Lykiz8I&feature=related

at 1:48

that was pretty good eh

Last edited:
wouldnt say that i was way more sluggish when i was 18 that was 4 years ago im a lot quicker and stronger now though.... and hell im not an athlete :D im lazy

regardless... maybe we can use some of that 500k that we got from cap relief and actually help buy out rubio... you dont pass up on an 18 year old with the brains of a veteran with the leadership and swagger...

the kid has been playing against men and i repeat MEN.... unlike most college players who play at the same age....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYV5Lykiz8I&feature=related

at 1:48

that was pretty good eh
That was pretty impressive, and to Marc Gasol too haha.. who needs an elite first step when you can handle the rock like that?

Yah he get's at least 1-2 of those JWill type passes a game. Definitely a fan of his, and been waiting a couple of years for him to declare.. Hope I don't have to wait another year.

I would love for him to be a King. he is sick, cant teach talent.

He needs to get stronger and work on his jumper. can you imagine with Coachies help how much better of a offensive threat he would be?

I've watched several of Rubio's highlights and it did not impressed me. Did you not see the level of play in those videos? The games all look like high school games. What is worse is that 90% of the players he made looking bad are the typical slow and unatheletic white Euro players. I wonder if he can do his tricks at the level of NCAA. Well, maybe he can once in a while, but I think never on a consistent basis.

The problem with Rubio is he does really look "illusionally" awesome playing against the unathletic and slow players in Euro. He does looked very good and fancy as a PG, but I don't think he can do his tricks against a higher level of athletes. Or maybe once in a while we will be impressed if he does, but that will just be because he would be our favorite. It will be very much like we see Martin. We always thought that Martin is so awesome, eventhough he is not even half the talent of Kobe Bryant.

But then again, and since there are no Superstar-type players in sight among the potential draftees, I am willing to gamble on him because of our need of a true PG, and only if we cannot get Thabeet. I would like Blake Griffin, but Griffin is just too much of a duplication of what we have now in terms of contribution Hawes and Thompson can bring.

Last edited:
...What is worse is that 90% of the players he made looking bad are the typical slow and unatheletic white Euro players. I wonder if he can do his tricks at the level of NCAA. Well, maybe he can once in a while, but I think never on a consistent basis.

The problem with Rubio is he does really look "illusionally" awesome playing against the unathletic and slow players in Euro...
Typical slow and unathletic white Euro players have cost USA dream team a couple of gold medals if I remember correctly. And the last gold was not a gimme as well.

Please do not equate Euroleague with NCAA basketball. It is a professional league and not sub 23 year old kids learning basketball.

Let's take Childress for example (I believe it was Brick saying in the beginning of the season that he will dominate Eurolegue). He is averaging 10.2 pts, 5rpg in just over 26 minutes per game playing against above mentioned Euro players. Compare those stats with his NBA statistics (yes I would like you to do some homework). And you can do some more research and compare Arroyo, Nachbar (who is not even playing in Eurolegue) and similar players with comparable NBA statistic.

I would argue that Rubio would be a superstar in NCAA.

On his quickness or lack rather "lack of it". He reminds me of another great Euro player who was slow, unathletic, slow first step, slow release... Dejan Bodiroga. But he dominated the game. It is the amazing change of rhythm and foot work that enabled him to frustrate everyone. Rubio very much reminds me of Dejan regarding his rhythm. Him being the superstar in NBA is far fetch but him making Kings superteam is not.

What do you want? Next "Kobe" averaging 35 ppg and not making playoffs or having a title party in Sacramento?

thats kind of stereotyping euro players... when in fact when it comes to skill set Euro players are more diverse and well rounded than college players....

again...

rubio plays with MEN not kids who will have an off game cause they had to study for the exam or got sidelined for having a bad grade and cant play till he pulled it up..

you cant just say that euroleague is a lesser level of talent and competition compared to NCAA cause majority of players there are white and "slow"

i mean bargnani for example... people actually think hed be a total bust.. but now hes actually contributing to toronto...

having a one man scoring team is just too overated.........

cause of these guys like Kobe...carmelo.... etc its so sad that guys in their mold has overshadowed the concept of TEAM basketball which rubio actually brings to the court...

Last edited:
thats kind of stereotyping euro players... when in fact when it comes to skill set Euro players are more diverse and well rounded than college players....

again...

rubio plays with MEN not kids who will have an off game cause they had to study for the exam or got sidelined for having a bad grade and cant play till he pulled it up..

you cant just say that euroleague is a lesser level of talent and competition compared to NCAA cause majority of players there are white and "slow"

i mean bargnani for example... people actually think hed be a total bust.. but now hes actually contributing to toronto...

having a one man scoring team is just too overated.........

cause of these guys like Kobe...carmelo.... etc its so sad that guys in their mold has overshadowed the concept of TEAM basketball which rubio actually brings to the court...

Thank you thank you thank you. The NCAA is not the benchmark for phenomenal basketball players. What is Jennings doing in the Euroleage? Wasn't he supposed to be the next great thing? It's a more physical, more exausting, more demanding leauge. I laugh whenever the "experts" on ESPN debate about how tough it is for college players to play when they have to worry about an exam, or fly 500 miles for a game. Try playing when you haven't been paid in 2 weeks and your family has nothing to eat, when you're traveling 10 hours by bus and don't have a hotel room to sleep in. Then go play in an arena where the fans threaten to kill you and mean it, and HAVE done it before. Anybody who equates the two leauges is about 10 years behind this conversation, before the rest of the world caught up and beat the USA in fundamental basketball. The US still has unrivaled athletes, but as has been proven time and again, this is a team sport. To state that a player will not do good in the NBA because they play against slow, methodical white Euro players has not followed basketball.

Just as an aside, how many NCAA atheletes actually get drafted or play in the NBA. % wise? I would love to get that number.