Teague vs. Rubio

Teague or Rubio?

• Teague

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Rubio

Votes: 71 83.5%

• Total voters
I'm going to state my beliefs about these two players, and when I give them props it's not to say THE other ISN'T also good at it, I just think one player excels at it a tad more.

Rubio

• Defender (Possible drawbacks are some of the chances he takes intercepting the ball)
  • Passer (Same possible drawback as above)
  • Court Vision
  • Bball IQ
Teague

• Athletic (Definately above average, I say bordering the "freakish" term)
  • Great shooting % (some are down on his form, I don't put as much stock into form though when guys can make shots)
  • Quickness, First step (He can get to the rim at will which can open up shots for his teammates)
  • Scoring

That's just how i stack them up vs. each other, how do you guys view the match up? Please don't take this as me thinking Teague can't pass, doesn't have BBall IQ or Court Vision though!

I wouldn't put Rubio as a defender ahead of Teague -- Rubio seems to have great hands, but I'm really not convinced he's going to be able to stay in front of NBA point guards. And Teague also has good hands. At best the jury is out on that.

I of course haven't made any secret that I much, much prefer Teague. People have been passing around Rubio highlight reels. Have you seen Teague's?

How about this high flying act (and yes, offensive foul, but still):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrGMw7RrmI4&feature=related

Or this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMloa7mmJPU&feature=related

Want to see him get to the rim? Check out the FSU game recap video here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=290450154

Want to see passing? Check out the BC recap video:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=290390154

Meanwhile, he's shooting 50% from 3 point land. 50%!!!

The knock on him is that he's not really a point guard. But he's not playing point guard for Wake. He has good vision, but he plays off the ball and just isn't really called upon to make things happen. Ask Dino Gaudio why that is.

You want star power? Go with the freakish athlete who can shoot, get the rim, and handle. I'd much rather bet that Teague becomes a better passer than I would pray Rubio is going to be quick enough to handle the quick PGs. Teague can improve his passing. Rubio can't improve his quickness.

Last edited:
Yep, I've seen Teague's highlights and I've seen a few games of his as well! I never stated who I liked better, I just wanted to get an in depth discussion started about two PG's we should be focused on if we were to take one with our first rounder :)

As you said the Jury is out on Teague's PG skills, but I think he can definately learn them. My only drawback on him he sometimes to be moving faster then he can think at times with what to do with the ball (which means he's way faster then any defender to keep up).

The only reason I put Rubio ahead of Teague is his knack to predict the balls movement. Whether he's on the man knocking it out on the dribble or watching a passing lane to intercept it he always seems to have a great lock down on the ball

Actually I didn't even think about a Poll, just wanted to get people do discuss... Maybe when/if a mod strolls by they can add a poll to the thread

What is the track record of PG's in the nba that either dont run the point in college? I'd bet not too great.. perhaps its just a matter of taste, and I for one prefer the brand of basketball that is orchestrated by a master passing point guard over any other style really. I admit to have only seeing about 2 games of Teague's so I'm not an expert on him, but what is his upside? Arenas? cant name 5 players i would want to build my team around LESS than Gilbert..

What is the track record of PG's in the nba that either dont run the point in college? I'd bet not too great.. perhaps its just a matter of taste, and I for one prefer the brand of basketball that is orchestrated by a master passing point guard over any other style really. I admit to have only seeing about 2 games of Teague's so I'm not an expert on him, but what is his upside? Arenas? cant name 5 players i would want to build my team around LESS than Gilbert..
well russell westbrook isnt doing too bad. And teague's dunks kind of remind of westbrook's dunks last year. I kind of want to see one of teague's games now.

My only question with Teague is his frame. Even though most pgs like arenas and bibby are shoot first a lot of their game also depends on their ability to drive finish around the rim, body control, speed and strength. Both Arenas and Bibby are pretty strong PGs. I know he won't have a lot of trouble scoring but I'm pretty sure his frame will effect him on defense.

Last edited:
Yes he is doing well, but he is not a point guard
This isn't a Quincy Douby situation where he would need to develop ball-handling skills and passing. He has all the raw skills, for whatever reason his coach just decided that he should play off the ball, even though they don't even have a true pass-first point guard. There would be an adjustment and he doesn't have Chris Paul-like passing abilities, but he's also not a selfish player who lacks the raw abilities. He projects as a scoring point, but given the roster and the fact that the Kings badly need someone who can get their own shot, I'm not sure that's such a bad thing.

Teague can improve his passing. Rubio can't improve his quickness.
Biased statement at best. I can say vice versa, and we can sit here all day. How would one improve passing? Repetition, experience, right? The highest that can go is one's natural court vision and ability to process what happens a moment before it does.

Now, how can one improve quickness? Exercise, plyometrics, repetition, right? Otherwise we would all be as quick as we are now. However, the highest one can go is their natural genetic disposition.

I know you're saying you value athleticism over skill in this instance, but to say one can be improved and the other not is pure fallacy.

Teague >>> Rubio
Rubio >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Teague. Teague is a rich mans Quincy Douby... If you want Teague sitting behind Martin for five years by all means the Kings should draft him..

But I thought the Kings needed an actual PG not an undersized SG. Didn't we just waive one? Do you actually think Petrie will draft a SG this year?

Entity

Hall of Famer
Biased statement at best. I can say vice versa, and we can sit here all day. How would one improve passing? Repetition, experience, right? The highest that can go is one's natural court vision and ability to process what happens a moment before it does.

Now, how can one improve quickness? Exercise, plyometrics, repetition, right? Otherwise we would all be as quick as we are now. However, the highest one can go is their natural genetic disposition.

I know you're saying you value athleticism over skill in this instance, but to say one can be improved and the other not is pure fallacy.
Then you got to think Rubio hasn't been sitting on the couch eating ruffles. He has been playing professional basketball working out and getting plenty of exercise. I'd say he is in pretty damn good shape wouldn't you? So how much quicker could he get. As far as Teague goes I'd say his passing skills are better than Mike Bibby's who was the starting pg around here for a few years taking us pretty deep into the playoffs for a while.

Then you got to think Rubio hasn't been sitting on the couch eating ruffles. He has been playing professional basketball working out and getting plenty of exercise. I'd say he is in pretty damn good shape wouldn't you? So how much quicker could he get. As far as Teague goes I'd say his passing skills are better than Mike Bibby's who was the starting pg around here for a few years taking us pretty deep into the playoffs for a while.
I understand that he's been getting exercise. On the flip side, by this admission, you must think Teague hasn't been playing basketball correct?

To get better passing, Teague would need to focus on it. Perhaps he has, perhaps he hasn't. Same with Rubio. You can play the game out of shape. You can play the game, and not work out. Playing the game doesn't mean you are in top physical shape, your best top physical shape, and it surely doesn't mean that your passing skills are as good as they can get. I don't understand why you continue to pound your point with a logic that goes both ways.

Do you even see how everything you say in regards to this can be flipped back around?

btw, awesome exchange from vf and nbrans above.

Well, there are plyometric exercises, but I don't think they really improve one's athleticism that greatly. Improving his upper body strength and quickening his release as much as he can can go a long way in improving his penetration ability; he already has the impecably creative ball handling.

Rubio is as fast as he needs to be. Cp3 didn't drive around Beno tonight. He used a screen & played pick & roll with Chandler. Rubio plays the pick & roll just fine. As far as defense, if your going to throw Rubio under the bus because of his lack of quickness and poor defense, then we better trade Martin.

Teague, Douby, McCants...ect...., there are enough undersized SG with less than perfect PG skills. We've had our share, and some have even been successful. But, I'm really tired of seeing Jacks of all Trades, out on the court. Let's get someone who naturally plays the position, and then work on his deficiencys.

Rubio drove around Kid, down the lane & past our bigs, & finished strong, in the 1st quarter of the Gold Medal game. That is fast enough. In the quarter finals, he got a defensive rebound and took it all the way for a layup. That is fast enough. He knows how to defend the pick & roll, and can play great team defense. That should be fast enough.

I voted for Rubio

I think it is much easier to improve passing and finding open teammates than improving quickness, especially when I'm sure Rubio has been excercising, doing plyos, etc. as long as hes been a pro bball player. Guys just dont come into the league with moderate quickness, then in 3 years develop tony parker-like ability to penetrate and beat people off the dribble. On the other hand it is possible to learn the position of PG, and simply look for open teammates. Its not like teague needs to be steve nash, but I'm sure he can manage to find open teammates when his penetration ability opens his teammates up, and if you've seen sessions play, this is very similar to what he does, and it gets him a good amount of assists. Look at Billups, he came into the league as an undersized SG, and developed into a shoot-first PG with solid distributing skills.

I just dont see where everyone is getting these notions that Teague is a rich man's douby, and that he cant pass. The guy is a PG that is played at SG by his coach for some weird reason, and even while at the 2 he leads his team in assists and makes some damn good passes and reads. The guy can pass the ball and create for people, hes not arenas or ben gordon. Nbrans and I have made this comparison before, but Teague is very tony parker like in his style of play. Sure he doesnt drop dimes like chris paul, but his abilites and quickness lead to open teammates on offense, and steals on defense. People have made the westbrook comparison, but I think he is much much more fluid on offense than westbrook was in college, and his defense is not far behind.
Check out some nice passes(nbrans already posted this) but watch again: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=290390154

I dont dislike Rubio, and would not be opposed if we drafted him, but I just think the star potential of Teague is way higher than Rubio's, and thats something you need to consider in the top 5 of a draft. In all honesty though, if we have our choice, Petrie probably goes with Rubio.

Last edited:
I like Teague and it's a close call, but I still go with Rubio.

Order of preference (not necessarily order I want the Kings to draft in, but rather to end up with):
1. Rubio
2. Teague
3. Griffin
4. Monroe
5. Jennings

The order can very well change from here on out, but I'm pretty certain those are my top 5 guys for us in this draft.

I like Teague and it's a close call, but I still go with Rubio.

Order of preference (not necessarily order I want the Kings to draft in, but rather to end up with):
1. Rubio
2. Teague
3. Griffin
4. Monroe
5. Jennings

The order can very well change from here on out, but I'm pretty certain those are my top 5 guys for us in this draft.
I have the same top 5, but replace monroe with Thabeet and put Teague at 1 and Rubio at 2. I would be happy with any of those five.