Final Roster? To be formalized once the dust settles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AriesMar27

this wouldnt be that bad of a day if we hadnt signed beno over the summer and/or extending garcia or trading for nocioni. we dont need 2 back up sf's with greene still playing the role of bench warmer.... anyone but nocioni wouldve been a good deal. he was the one player i didnt want, i would rather have larry hughes than nocioni. think of hughes and thomas as expiring contracts instead of nocioni for 4 more years....

I don't necessarily want Gooden, but would it really be such a bad thing if McCants and Diogu proved themselves to be worthy of a larger contract? The purpose of a rebuild is to create a young core that can grow while still competing. It's not like they will be earning max contracts either.

With that said, I'm just going to wait and see what happens. If they don't seem to make the cut, then we have our expiring contracts. If they prove themselves and we find more pieces for a young core, then great. I don't know a whole lot about McCants or Diogu so I won't begin to pretend that i do. I just think that if they were to show worth to our team, it wouldn't be such a bad thing considering they are young and their contracts won't be too heavy.
No, not necessarily a bad thing in regards to McCants and Diogu ... if it's the real deal. But the worry is that when a guy who's been a headcase (McCants) or underachiever (Diogu) throughout his short career is given half a season to prove he's something different with the promise of a lucrative contract if he does, the guy pulls it together for the short term, we salivate over our good fortune of finding a diamond in the rough and end up with Beno Udrih.

True, hopefully Petrie has learned through Beno and if any contracts are offered to either of the 2, they won't weigh us down. At this point all we can do is wait and see how this rest of this season turns out.

Well... and K9 will be a coveted expiring next year right? So this is really truly not too bad a setup is it? The only real albatrosses are Beno and Nocioni, and they are neither FATALLY expensive nor FATALLY sucky players compared to some alternatives. You should be able to drag them around a few years at those wages and still be a good team if you don't make other errors.

I feel like Geoff sort of has gotten a mulligan on Shareef. Salmons and Mikki. Lets see what he does with it.
We suffered thru the K9 years, we should get the prize of his expiring contract.

One thing Hollinger mentioned in his chat. With the way things are going financially some teams my be willing to get rid of their all stars cheap to get well under the cap.

We suffered thru the K9 years, we should get the prize of his expiring contract.

One thing Hollinger mentioned in his chat. With the way things are going financially some teams my be willing to get rid of their all stars cheap to get well under the cap.
Then we should have kept Miller and used him to get a big star in 2009 (like the Blazers should have done with Raef)

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Well, one thing's for sure. We can't criticize Petrie for sitting on his hands anymore. He seems to have his hands in just about everything going on today. Nothing terribly exciting was accomplished, but he did manage to bring in a few young players (albeit restricted FAs this offseason) and shed a lot of dead weight. The Nocioni and Udrih contracts aren't back breakers. The only real party spoiler is the prospect of seeing Drew Gooden steal 30 minutes per game from Thompson, Diogu, and Greene but I suppose there are worse things in the world (please take KT off the active roster, please take KT off the active roster).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Drew Gooden is nursing a groin injury. I don't think he's going to miraculously heal or be in a big rush to come back and play major minutes for the Kings.

:p

Kingster

Hall of Famer
We obviously have a lot of flexibility this summer. I just don't see who we can possibly go after in the FA market that will help us or I would get excited about signing.
That's the thing - all of these trades are intermediate steps. They don't really give you anything but a possibility. Who is to say that the Kings spend any money during the summer? After all, the Maloofs, by all accounts are cash strapped. Based upon past performance, it's hard to be optimistic.

Ya, for some reason the only offseason money I see us spending are givng either mccants or diogu another contract. I dont see the maloofs trying to spend much at all.

I see them offering a contract to gooden not Diogu, and probably a contract level we don't like lol... If we're gonna be stuck with Nocioni for awhile, I can see us pursueing a PG in FA, but honestly I hope we dont go after anybody... Turn K9 + Houston pick into another lottery pick on draft day and call it an offseason as far as work goes

Status
Not open for further replies.