Why we shouldn't send Donte Greene to the D-League

P

PoundForPound

I like the way he acts during the game. He gets hyped up for his teammates. He rarely ever sits down and that's just nice to see because the Kings haven't really ever had too many players like that.

I like the way he acts during the game. He gets hyped up for his teammates. He rarely ever sits down and that's just nice to see because the Kings haven't really ever had too many players like that.
Who's tho say he won't be at the games? Reno is just a couple hours away, and remember when Farmar played in both a D-League and NBA game in the same day?

didnt say mateen is a star but it wouldnt take much to be better then beno right now
Guess you missed it by a mile. I was not talking about Mateen but rather about the likelihood of Greene developing into a star NBA player by being "one of the best players in the D-league".

I'm ok with Greene being sent to the D-league, as long as we bring him back once Salmons is shipped off.

This was my feeling a little while back regarding Donte going to the D-League.

Originally by Unicia03
I think that typically I'm in favor of sending a player to the D-League if they just aren't getting a shot at playing in the NBA games.
For instance, last season when we were severely under-utilizing Spencer, I wouldn't of minded seeing him get sent to the D-League for a bit to help with his game conditioning, work on settling down in the post, and getting used to a pace and physicality greater than what he was used to facing in college.

With that said, I'm not in favor of Donte going to the D-League this season. Primarily, this is for one reason: Chemistry.

I watch how Donte interacts with JT during the games while on the bench, and it looks as if they are developing a good chemistry together. I'm hoping that Donte, JT, and Spencer will be our 3, 4, & 5 of the future, and as such, I want them to spend as much time together as possible. Traveling together, practicing together, winning together, and losing together.

I don't want Donte to leave the team and begin to feel disconnected from our team and the rest of the young guys.

I'm expecting either a trade to free up some room for Donte, or a directive to play him more after the trade-deadline if no trade goes down. With the kind of season we're having, I can't imagine him not getting any minutes for the 2nd half of the season.
I'm actually going to change my tune just a bit due to the circumstances of today.
We get Coachie back, for the first time we actually have one of our kids move past a non-injured/suspended vet into the starting line-up in their natural position, and Donte goes to the D-League.

In my opinion it looks as if the goal is to finally develop the young guys, so I have to assume that management believes Donte is just going to fare better as far as his progression goes in the D-League then he would practicing with the Kings and riding the pine during games.

I'm still really hoping for a trade that will free up the congestion at the 3 spot and see Donte get back with the Kings and putting in 15 minutes a game after the trade deadline. I also hope that this move to send him to the D League won't hurt the chemistry of our young group in the years ahead.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm sure that's what Greene is aiming for...an NBA career spent entirely on the bench, cheering on his teammates.

Sending him to the D-League is a no brainer. Let him actually play the game - and when he's ready, hopefully there will be a nice slot open at the 3 for him to slide into...

;)

I'm really excited right now.

They've got the D-League games available to watch online.

I've just started watching the archived game between the Reno Bighorns and the Tulsa 66ers which took place on 1/4.

According to the announcers the Reno Bighorns are a team who likes to run, get out in transition and look to put up a shot early in the shot-clock. Said their goal is to get up a shot with-in 8 seconds of the shot-clock, by either getting a transition hoop, or trying to swing the ball around the perimeter to find a shooter ready to hit a shot. Sounds a lot like Golden State's style.

Probably will fit perfectly for Donte, I just hope that he learns how to play well, and doesn't pick up any bad habits. And it would have been great for him to work with Coachie, but at least he'll get real basketball playing time.

But regardless, I'll now be watching all the Bighorn games, and hopefully Donte will be getting 25+ minutes a game playing there really soon.

First three offensive possessions for the Big Horns
- Dribble penetration then kick-out for 3 point shot. (missed)
- Dribble penetration then kick-out for 18 footer. (made)
- Steal and break-away but was fouled.

This is going to be great.

Fun fun!

Anyone know where in Reno they play and/or where to get tickets? I live up the road from Reno and wouldn't mind going to see them once or twice now that Donte is going to be playing

Kingster

Hall of Famer
So you want to sacrifice Greene's long term development because you want to see a guy waiving a towel around on the sidelines?:rolleyes: This is great for Greene, and I think it's great for the Kings. They should have done the same thing with Martin years ago. I hope this becomes a trend, in fact, if they get a guy in the draft that is very raw and isn't ready to play in the big leagues.

As an aside, I think the new "scenery" should benefit Greene. He'll be able to see where he will end up if he doesn't develop as everyone thinks he should. No glamor. Little pay. Should be a great motivator for the young man.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We still hold his rights and can call him back up at any time. Think of the developmental league as a junior varsity of sorts...

I honestly hope he's not there long, just long enough to get playing time again and make further his defensive learning... Just long enough for a few trades to get nailed out to where he can get some consistant playing time on our team. He's always performed well I thought to give him 10m a game... Maybe there he'll get 20-35 a game

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Im scared to see greene go because it seems like everytime we send a guy to the d-league he never returns...and i REALLY like him...
If you're referring to Justin, he went to the D-league AFTER he was released by the Kings. Capt. Factorial, as one would almost presume, is correct in that we've never sent an active Kings player to the D-League before Greene.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I heard Henry Turner talking about Greene going to the D league on KHTK. He said that Greene is going to be challenged like you wouldn't even believe. Every player in the D league that he faces is going at him like it's a war. Even his own teamates. They are going test him BIGTIME because he is an NBA player and all the envy is translated into wanting to posterize him.

I think it's great for Greene. SAR is going to be with him, by the way, to tutor him. I heard they were going to try it for three games. Personally, I hope he's down there for the remainder of the season. Sounds like a good thing for the maturation process.

S

sactownfan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a61-nhmBsWQ

this ones even better... looks like Donte and Jason hit it off way before Donte was a King... Its kinda cool how things worked out for him. there was an interview he did with the rockets where he said that he was really bummed that the Kings didn't draft him.

If you're referring to Justin, he went to the D-league AFTER he was released by the Kings. Capt. Factorial, as one would almost presume, is correct in that we've never sent an active Kings player to the D-League before Greene.
Maby thats why ive never seen one come back! But what i was meaning to say was everytime someone gets sent i don't seem to notice their return. They usually just get lost in the fray. Do you understand my point thoe, i just don't want to forget about him :(