Thank you, Joe Maloof!!!

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I just want to give thanks to Joe Maloof. Artest's mouth has been running for far too long. He even mentions "Mama Maloof" in some of his rants. At this point, I think the Maloof Family, as owners of the Kings AND Ron Artest's bosses, had every right to stand up and tell him basically what we've been trying to say. Will Artest listen? Of course not. But at least he cannot say he wasn't told...in pretty plain language in the same media he has been using to vent his frustrations.

Once this stupid drama is over maybe we can all get back to talking about Hawes, Thompson, Garcia, Martin, Udrih, Singletary and the rest of the guys who aren't Shakespearean tragedy characters come to life.

GO KINGS!!!
Wasn't Joe Maloof one of the Maloofs who wanted to trade for Artest, who pushed the idea to Petrie? I think he's eating his "just dessert."

Wasn't Joe Maloof one of the Maloofs who wanted to trade for Artest, who pushed the idea to Petrie? I think he's eating his "just dessert."
Isn't this pure speculation. We have never heard of the Maloofs imposing their will on roster moves. Maybe I am mistaken, but I do not recall this. The Maloof's forcing Petrie's hand have always been the montra of those who want to believe Petrie can do little wrong.

The article said Joe "lashed out."

That's a bit of an exaggeration, I certainly don't blame Joe for saying out loud what everyone already realizes, and I think he put it in a relatively diplomatic way.
~~

The article said Joe "lashed out."

That's a bit of an exaggeration, I certainly don't blame Joe for saying out loud what everyone already realizes, and I think he put it in a relatively diplomatic way.
~~
I agree and I wouldn't have been surprised if he had really lashed out. Artest was totally wrong to bring "Mama Maloof" into his ravings ... they are too close knit a family for them to be happy and sit quietly about that. I think Joe had to say something ... and I thought he was very diplomatic and 'Mild'.

Agreed

I agree with VF's original post. I'm glad that Joe said that Ron talks too much. He does talk too much. It's entertaining when he's on Dave's show, and he doesn't seem like a bad guy, but still...this is just a guy's boss defending himself, and what he says is not only true but worded diplomatically. Good for Joe.

I don’t know what to make of Joe’s comments. I understand that he’s frustrated and everybody in the league already knows about Ron and his personality. But do we really need another response from Ron? He’s already going to the Denver papers and telling them that he’s not interested. I’d hate to see Ron go talk to every team he doesn’t want to be on and tell them not to waste their time. But I on the other side, I understand Joe’s reaction, especially after Ron was talking about their mother.

Btw. I love reading some people’s comments. SacTeamster from Sacramento Bee wrote:

They should have just let Ron walk, especially after he worked hard in Sactown. Just do it, Petrie. Show something the Maloofs lack, and that is class. Buy Ron out or trade him where he wants to go. You owe it to him.
We owe nothing to Ron. He had an option to leave and go for free agency and he didn’t have to be loyal to us and stay. Yes, it was nice of him to show us support after we took him in but he needs to relax and stick with his current team. You should not be demanding trades and he shouldn’t go telling certain teams that he won’t play for them. That’s unclassy.

He made a choice to stick with us for his last part of his current contract, and now he should get over it and, as certain people like to say, “man up” and come to play for the team he's on. July 1st is over and you can’t rewind time. Stop talking and just relax. He shouldn’t worry cause he’s going to get traded, but he doesn’t have the right to choose which team he’s going to go to. And aren’t we going to win a championship? Well, then be quite and win your ring, whether it’s here or timbuktoo and then sign your contract with whatever team you chose to go on.

I think Joe Maloof did the right thing of saying to artest he calm down... cause if artest keeps spamming and flooding the espn and bee with emails of ranting and raving this will reflect on the franchise itself... potential star players or even young players might not want to come here because management is screwing them over...aside from that bringing in the Momma Maloof into the conversation MAY lead to something artest doesnt want to lead to... lashing out to the owners who GAVE him a clean slate besides knowing his track record..and known off court distractions...

Artest was too full of himself to think that he IS THE KINGS FUTURE befriending the maloofs while thinking he has a done deal extensions on his contract and when it failed his ego got hurt, his plans and stuff got screwed and now he is flooding the media that he was "betrayed" by friendship... its good to be friends and good terms with the management.. assuming that they will tolerate your behaviour because you are "friends with them" and bring both Def and offense on court....it doesnt mean anything till you DO SOMETHING for the team and fanbase..

friendship has nothing to do with business...

artest has been on this road before in indiana and i think its time for him to go to another team... when artest retires i think hell be one of those rounin kind of players... no permanent address always moving to another team for a contender.....

i think the MAX year and deal for artest should be 2 years.... committing to him for more is a BIG BIG RISK

Last edited:
Joe did what he had to do. It was appropriate, perhaps even later in the game than what it could have been. I applaud him for that. Hopefully now, too, behind the scenes he finds a way to put a gag in Ron's mouth to stop all this foolishness until Geoff finds the right deal to ship him out of town.

I don't think anything Ron says will affect anything anymore. It's not like there are a few GMs out there living in a cave or something. All of them know about Artest, and they all know what they are going to get if they trade for them. I don't think Artest can do anything (outside of committing a crime) that will hurt his value anymore.
Completely agree.

Ron is no evolving personality to league GMs. The deal is and always will be does a team need better D to significantly improve, do they have a coach, surrounding cast that can handle Ron, and are they in a position where a potential one-year experiment is in order? Much to Ron's benefit, and assuming that Geoff will only take back contract(s) that expire very soon, the teams willing to deal for Ron will likely be those on the cusp of being able to challenge for the ring.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Isn't this pure speculation. We have never heard of the Maloofs imposing their will on roster moves. Maybe I am mistaken, but I do not recall this. The Maloof's forcing Petrie's hand have always been the montra of those who want to believe Petrie can do little wrong.
I'm not in that camp. But I am responding to those who said it was the Maloofs who pushed it on Petrie, and now they are congratulating the Maloofs for their sanctimony. Look, it's either Petrie and/or Maloofs. Someone in management is EATING IT right about now. They deserve every last bite.

maybe it worked? at least for a short time?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=jy-artestsummer071308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
All the Kings’ men might no longer include Artest

By Johnny Ludden, Yahoo! Sports Jul 13, 9:04 am EDT

LAS VEGAS – He still answers to Ron these days, even though he recently told a Sacramento radio station he’d prefer to be called Bill. He’s still as affable off the court as he is ferocious on it, and, yes, he’s still a Sacramento King, enough so that he hopped a flight here from New York to help cheer on the franchise’s summer-league team.
For a change, though, Ron Artest isn’t talking. At least he wasn’t saying anything of substance Saturday afternoon. No trade demands. No complaining about the Kings not committing to him. No regrets about not opting out of his contract. No…comment.
What are your thoughts on your future with the Kings?
“No comment.”
Do you want to have a future with the Kings?
“No comment.”
If you could be with any team next season who would it be?
“No comment.”

maybe it worked? at least for a short time?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=jy-artestsummer071308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
All the Kings’ men might no longer include Artest

By Johnny Ludden, Yahoo! Sports Jul 13, 9:04 am EDT

LAS VEGAS – He still answers to Ron these days, even though he recently told a Sacramento radio station he’d prefer to be called Bill. He’s still as affable off the court as he is ferocious on it, and, yes, he’s still a Sacramento King, enough so that he hopped a flight here from New York to help cheer on the franchise’s summer-league team.
For a change, though, Ron Artest isn’t talking. At least he wasn’t saying anything of substance Saturday afternoon. No trade demands. No complaining about the Kings not committing to him. No regrets about not opting out of his contract. No…comment.
What are your thoughts on your future with the Kings?
“No comment.”
Do you want to have a future with the Kings?
“No comment.”
If you could be with any team next season who would it be?
“No comment.”
That was *before* Joe told him to keep quiet.

The Maloofs should have done this a long time ago. They're the owners, they should have set the tone. Maybe they did in private with Bill/Ron, but obviously he didn't listen to them.