[WNBA] Comments that don't warrant their own thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snow probably could dunk without a runway, but she would first need to decide to play basketball as a whole to the extent of her talent and capabilities before there is much expectation of her to throw down.

I'm pretty certain if she wanted to Brunson could, her vertical from a standing position or even off a couple of steps is ridiculous. Parker's second dunk in college I felt was evidence of her ability to dunk off a couple of steps - she came back up for a tip in during the game LA had here that she could have pretty much dunked if she felt like it I thought. I would be suprised if Fowles couldn't.

Runnin or standing still...I think it's awesome!
It's exciting for the fans, teamates, coaches, & owners...
If only she played for anyone but LA:cool:

I still give her props & as a Rookie she has set a new standard.

I agree Brunson can probably dunk...without runnin, come on B when you gonna give the SacTown fans a throwdown;)

Early Brittney Griner alert...

Meant to do this earlier when I first saw it but it's been one of those weeks...

For the Brittney Griner WNBA fan clubbers who are close enough to the Bay Area for it to matter....

Baylor will be playing @ Cal on December 22nd...

Of course not. If it didn't happen in a regulation game, it might as well have been in somebody's driveway.
i disagree that it wasn't a regulation game ... not regular season, but definitely regulation ... the WNBA all star game is a select situation, hardly a driveway ...

not a big deal, but i call it a dunk ... fair and square ... she was wearing a jersey, the refs were calling fouls, game was on tv, etc. ...

i disagree that it wasn't a regulation game ... not regular season, but definitely regulation ... the WNBA all star game is a select situation, hardly a driveway ...

not a big deal, but i call it a dunk ... fair and square ... she was wearing a jersey, the refs were calling fouls, game was on tv, etc. ...
Everyone was standing around watching her dunk as the final seconds of the game ticked away. That's not a real game situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJOAYtY1f6c

I think this is evidence that Haynie wanted to fight for the starting job. Seems like Meadors had left the door open to anybody who wanted jobs/minutes to show her what they had.

Good to see that from Haynie...'bout time.

Congrats to the Dream as well.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Haynie runs that team better than Latta does. If this isn't evidence to support that, i don't know what is.
What?

Not for nothing, but Haynie and Latta were on the court at the same time for most of the second half. But I fail to see how Haynie having one good game serves as evidence of anything. Lennox and Latta are the only players on the Dream that are playing with anything resembling consistency.

Meadors wanted Latta to have the starting job all along, but she is now realizing how much of an asset Kristin can be for the Dream. Haynie sure could've come in handy when the Mercury was blowing out the Dream on national television, but she only played three minutes. Meanwhile, Latta was allowed to make mistake after mistake after mistake without getting pulled.

What?

Not for nothing, but Haynie and Latta were on the court at the same time for most of the second half. But I fail to see how Haynie having one good game serves as evidence of anything. Lennox and Latta are the only players on the Dream that are playing with anything resembling consistency.

I take it you haven't seen much of the Dream.

Earlier in the year, Latta forced bad shots and tried to thread the needle one too many times. She did know how to get to the FT line so that she wasn't coming up empty. As more teams started playing her for the shot, she began to find some passing alleys off the penetration. Still, she'd rather score than pass and most teams know that. This is why you'll see her chucking shots from 25 feet despite seeing Tamera Young wide open in the corner or Jen Lacy open downlow with good position.

Meanwhile, Haynie would drop a few dimes early in games and then disappear once teams started playing her for the pass. For some reason, she developed a reputation as a shooter while she was in Sacramento, and that's how teams played her early on. That's why she would be reasonably successful early on when she was the starter. Once they started playing her for the pass, she wasn't quick enough or creative enough to overcome that. The bench became her best friend.

Put more scorers on the team, and Haynie would be the starter. As it stands, they need Latta's scoring and that's one of the only reasons why she starts. You'll note that Feenstra and Strother have actually been contributing since Haynie's been receiving minutes. Again, if that's not a sign of who runs the team better, what is?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I take it you haven't seen much of the Dream.
You would take it wrong; I bought my dad season tickets, and have had a chance to see quite a bit of the Dream. Latta is better than Haynie. In fact, I can't help but recall how, every dozen games or so, Haynie would have a decent game for the Monarchs, and people would talk about how it was a sign that she was ready to step up and assume more responsibility. And she wasn't. And she still isn't.

The comparisons between Latta and Haynie remind me of the comparisons between TJ Ford and Jose Calderon. Except that Haynie isn't, you know, any good...

You would take it wrong; I bought my dad season tickets, and have had a chance to see quite a bit of the Dream. Latta is better than Haynie. In fact, I can't help but recall how, every dozen games or so, Haynie would have a decent game for the Monarchs, and people would talk about how it was a sign that she was ready to step up and assume more responsibility. And she wasn't. And she still isn't.

The comparisons between Latta and Haynie remind me of the comparisons between TJ Ford and Jose Calderon. Except that Haynie isn't, you know, any good...

Uh, you do realize that there is a big difference between talent and job performance, right?

I know that Latta is a better player than Haynie, and that will never change. But that does not mean that Latta knows how to run a team. She doesn't. Haynie is better at running that particular team. That doesn't mean she's a better player than Latta. She's not. It just means that she knows how to do her job better and the offense runs smoother when she's at her best.

For the record, I never thought Haynie was as good as she was touted, and I was thrilled to see her move on. She was a breathing turnover for the Monarchs in 2006 and 2007, and it was about time we abandoned that experiment.

Um...why in the HELL are the Mystics post players the only people scoring in their game today? Are Beard and Currie on strike?

(and can we get them in a package deal;))

And shoot, if I could ever get a sense when Langhorne is going to get to touch the ball and not just get a cameo, she'da been a nice Pick One today, she's earned more pre-doubling than the player I did take. Shoot...

You know...it must be nice when you can just fade away from Ruth Riley who is in your face and drop a three on command...I heart Alana Beard's game.

Thank you Tree for discovering Langhorne today...perhaps play her extended minutes more often? Very nice game from her....

Sigh...but no help overall from the Mystics...oh well...

Outside of Beard and McWilliams-Franklin, the Mystics have no leaders. The organization might need to clean house and start over. At that time, they can feel free to send Beard out to Sacramento.

Hey, when you have to clean house you have to be creative in your marketing...two for one deals will help Hargrove out and reduce the number of deals and phone calls she would have to make.

This probably does warrant its own thread or will at least at some point...but here are the Western Conf standings right now...

• San Antonio1 13 6 0.684 0.0

• Los Angeles2 11 6 0.647 (1.0)

• Seattle3 12 7 0.632 (1.0)

• Phoenix 9 9 0.500 (3.0)

• Houston4 9 10 0.473 (3.5)

• Minnesota 9 10 0.473 (3.5)

• Sacramento 8 11 0.444 (4.5)

I will root for some team to lose (preferrably both ;)) in the LA/Phx matchup tonight...but a huge two weeks for the Ms at home.
With Sea, LA, Phx and Atl.

While the Monarchs are at home 7/8-7/18 here's where the rest of the West will be....

San Antonio
NY W
@Chi (b2b)
Atl (b2b)
@Phx
@LA

Los Angeles

Hou (b2b)
@Sac (b2b)
@Sea
San Ant
@Phx
(which intestingly will start a another long#$# road swing which will keep them on the road up to the break)

Seattle
@Sac W
Phx
LA
@Indy
(the start of a 4 game road trip)

Houston
@Phx L
@LA
@Minn
Minn
(they will remain home up to the break)

Minnesota
Atl L
Hou
@Hou

Phoenix
Hou W
@Sea
@Sac
San Ant
LA

Last edited:
Watched part of the game on webcast...excellent composure at the end of the game. Haynie played very well, happy for them!
A special thanks for knocking off the Lynx;)

I saw they cut Lovelace...is she worth looking at?

Watched part of the game on webcast...excellent composure at the end of the game. Haynie played very well, happy for them!
A special thanks for knocking off the Lynx;)

I saw they cut Lovelace...is she worth looking at?
yeah, she played well. all the highlights on wnba.com involve a play by her. from steals to assists to that pretty cool cross-over for the game sealing basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.