Kings Select in the 2008 NBA DRAFT??

I think I actually like Arthur the best out of those guys because he plays the best D. Randolph has the most potential but also could be most likely to be a bust, Speights is kinda inbetween, and Arthur is the most sure thing out of the group IMO. I see Arthur as kinda like Rasheed Wallace(as far as style of play goes) in prime McDyess' body except he doesn't take 3 pointers. Speights reminds me of Al Jefferson a lot. Randolph could be KG or he could be Lamar Odom or he could be Channing Frye so I dunno about him.

But since we don't see like we'll really have a superstar, we're probably going to have to think about building a more complimentary team. I dunno if Speights doesn't develop defensively, if you win with a Speights/Hawes frontline defensively. But Arthur is a really good defender IMO, he just has some foul trouble that takes him out of games at times. Speights has a lot of room to improve on D but I dunno if he ever will. He has the potential/tools to do it but he's going to have to work on it.
I'm back and forth on Arthur and Randolph, I guess I gave Randolph the edge since most sites are ranking him much higher than Arthur. I'm pretty sure about the top 3 though. My problem with Arthur is I don't know if he'll ever get over his timidness, I think if he did and got some big league coaching he can become a borderline all-star. I think Speights has the best potential overall package.

News today was that Augustin's in, although he doesn't plan on getting an agent at this point. As for the others, that's unfortunate if true, but neither was anybody I had my heart set on, nor were they projected to go in the top dozen. For that reason, I don't think it'll hurt us in the first round. Maybe just slightly in the second.

Yeah, right after i typed that, i saw Dj is going.....I myself like Ty Lawson...hes a brusier....buff and fast as hell.....Dj or him would be ok..

I am happy with....A.Nicholas Batum...B.Jason Thompson.

I like the idea for Richard Hendrix with on of our 2nd picks! or Taj Gibson.

S

sactownfan

Dj Augustin's in for sure... the only reason he didn't hire an agent is in case he gets injured... if he doesnt get hurt hes in for sure.

Speights is gonna be a solid player. Hes young, and talented. i'd like our direction with this pick. We'd be filling out our future starting rotation with...

Hawes
Speights
? SF
Martin
Beno

6th Garcia

Yeah Speights is gonna be a solid player, but i see him going ahead of 12th

I know Kenny thomas is garbage.....but I think if ron gets traded...maybe play him alittle at the 3. behind Salmons/Garcia... he can rebound....just for some reason cant shoot anymore.

I know Kenny thomas is garbage.....but I think if ron gets traded...maybe play him alittle at the 3. behind Salmons/Garcia... he can rebound....just for some reason cant shoot anymore.
Anything is possible, but at the moment I don't see it. Now after Orlando he might move up, but that would also mean someone would move down. There are some scouts that have McGee ranked ahead of him purely on potential. Lets hope it stays that way.

I think that you and I are the only ones that bring up Thompson, who I really like. The only thing holding him back is the fact he played for Rider. If he had played for UCLA, the guy would probably be a lottery pick.

Then who drops?

Although the first couple of picks are franchise players, and the next few should be sure things, our #12 doesn't seem like a total waste of time this year, unless a lot of people drop out. How could it go wrong? Let's draw up the worst possible case, using the current predictions.

1. Beasley
2. Rose
3. Brook Lopez
4. Mayo
5. Bayless
6. Love
7. Jordan
8. Randolph
9. Augustin
10. Speights
11. Westbrook

In the above list, everybody who plays a position that we need is already taken. That leaves us with the extremely unlikely choice between Gordon, Gallinari, and guys like McGee, Arthur, Koufos and Robin Lopez. That would not be the end of the world.

So all we have to worry about is having guys drop out who were predicted to go in the top dozen. Lottery picks don't usually do that.

Then who drops?

Although the first couple of picks are franchise players, and the next few should be sure things, our #12 doesn't seem like a total waste of time this year, unless a lot of people drop out. How could it go wrong? Let's draw up the worst possible case, using the current predictions.

1. Beasley
2. Rose
3. Brook Lopez
4. Mayo
5. Bayless
6. Love
7. Jordan
8. Randolph
9. Augustin
10. Speights
11. Westbrook

In the above list, everybody who plays a position that we need is already taken. That leaves us with the extremely unlikely choice between Gordon, Gallinari, and guys like McGee, Arthur, Koufos and Robin Lopez. That would not be the end of the world.

So all we have to worry about is having guys drop out who were predicted to go in the top dozen. Lottery picks don't usually do that.
One of those eleven drop because I can guarantee Gordon does not drop out of the top ten. Also, as much as I dislike Randolph you have to think there would be a 50-50 that someone takes him top ten. Not very often a 7'0 SF with athleticism, and decent D come into the league.

One of those eleven drop because I can guarantee Gordon does not drop out of the top ten. Also, as much as I dislike Randolph you have to think there would be a 50-50 that someone takes him top ten. Not very often a 7'0 SF with athleticism, and decent D come into the league.
That's true about Randolph but there still needs to be a team that has enough patience to wait for him. Indy and NJ maybe.

One of those eleven drop because I can guarantee Gordon does not drop out of the top ten.
I agree, and I seriously doubt that Gallinari would drop out of the top 10 either. I was just concocting a scenario where all of the most esteemed bigs and PGs mysteriously went before anyone else, since that would be the worst possible situation for us. But even that can't leave us without acceptable options, unless a lot of lottery prospects withdraw.

I still don't quite get all the hoopla over Speights (6'10 250 lbs) - at least around 10-20 in the upcoming NBA draft. Is it just because the NBA mock draft on ESPN has him going to the Kings? I've been trying to see what he has over someone like Richard Hendrix (6'9 250 lbs) and I don't see the huge advantages. In fact, these two seem pretty similar - except that Florida Coach Donovan and virtually every coach in the SEC has said out loud or by voting for SEC all-conference teams that Hendrix is WAY BETTER. Stat wise Hendrix wins by a landslide. He's been more consistent in his college career since one of Speights biggest problems is disappearing in games entirely. Yes, Speights has that that so-called upside thing, but I'd rather have a player in the first round with proven, consistent, talent - like Arthur or Hendrix. Someone tell why I'm wrong on Speights and it seems every coach the SEC (including his own head coach) is so misinformed. IF (and i's a big IF) Hendrix can be had in the second round, then why not Speights too, or maybe the Kings should let someone else draft him.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20080311/NEWS/281940750/1011

I agree, and I seriously doubt that Gallinari would drop out of the top 10 either. I was just concocting a scenario where all of the most esteemed bigs and PGs mysteriously went before anyone else, since that would be the worst possible situation for us. But even that can't leave us without acceptable options, unless a lot of lottery prospects withdraw.

Oh I didn't even see Gallinari left off. Damn this draft is deep :D

I still don't quite get all the hoopla over Speights (6'10 250 lbs) - at least around 10-20 in the upcoming NBA draft. Is it just because the NBA mock draft on ESPN has him going to the Kings? I've been trying to see what he has over someone like Richard Hendrix (6'9 250 lbs) and I don't see the huge advantages. In fact, these two seem pretty similar - except that Florida Coach Donovan and virtually every coach in the SEC has said out loud or by voting for SEC all-conference teams that Hendrix is WAY BETTER. Stat wise Hendrix wins by a landslide. He's been more consistent in his college career since one of Speights biggest problems is disappearing in games entirely. Yes, Speights has that that so-called upside thing, but I'd rather have a player in the first round with proven, consistent, talent - like Arthur or Hendrix. Someone tell why I'm wrong on Speights and it seems every coach the SEC (including his own head coach) is so misinformed. IF (and i's a big IF) Hendrix can be had in the second round, then why not Speights too, or maybe the Kings should let someone else draft him.

The main thing is that I think Speight is expected to be a legit 6' 10" whereas Hendrix is more like 6' 8". Also Hendrix isn't better stat-wise. Per-minute they are virtually identical.

I still think Hendrix is a nice sleeper though.

Because they're ranking college player performances, they're not projecting towards the NBA which is a different game.

The main thing is that I think Speight is expected to be a legit 6' 10" whereas Hendrix is more like 6' 8". Also Hendrix isn't better stat-wise. Per-minute they are virtually identical.

I still think Hendrix is a nice sleeper though.
I think DJ White has a higher ceiling, longer arms, and is more athletic than Hendrix, but they both are good prospects. I think they both are either late 1st early second because of their height alone which kind of sucks imo.. But it could change based on if they are 6'8 or 6'7 w/o shoes.

Per40 stats last year. He would come in for only a few minutes a game, and just light it up. Some said last season that he was better than Noah was starting. A couple games where he got like 10-15 minutes he put up double doubles.. It was crazy. His per40's last year were something like 28ppg 18rpg 3bpg. This year it's not as godly but it's about 24ppg 13rpg 2bpg... Not bad at all. He's definitely what we need.

Oh, speaking of Florida Gators.. Nick Calathes is the player to watch next season. He is a 6'6 PG who had 2.13-1 asst/to ratio, 15.3ppg 6.6apg 5.2rpg 42%fg 72%ft 36%3pt.. If he works on his shot he can be one hell of a PG in the NBA.. He definitely has the size.

Per40 stats last year. He would come in for only a few minutes a game, and just light it up. Some said last season that he was better than Noah was starting. A couple games where he got like 10-15 minutes he put up double doubles.. It was crazy. His per40's last year were something like 28ppg 18rpg 3bpg. This year it's not as godly but it's about 24ppg 13rpg 2bpg... Not bad at all. He's definitely what we need.
You said it earlier, "damn this is a deep draft." I was thinking that the Kings should do every thing possible to move up and Coach Theus has mentioned that as a possibility. Now I'm thinking moving down (but not giving up first round pick) depending on what you get in return via trade/more picks is not such a bad idea.

Oh, speaking of Florida Gators.. Nick Calathes is the player to watch next season. He is a 6'6 PG who had 2.13-1 asst/to ratio, 15.3ppg 6.6apg 5.2rpg 42%fg 72%ft 36%3pt.. If he works on his shot he can be one hell of a PG in the NBA.. He definitely has the size.
Definitely has good size and skill, but I don't think he'll stick at PG full time in the NBA. Doesn't have enough foot speed and quickness.

I think DJ White has a higher ceiling, longer arms, and is more athletic than Hendrix, but they both are good prospects. I think they both are either late 1st early second because of their height alone which kind of sucks imo.. But it could change based on if they are 6'8 or 6'7 w/o shoes.
I wouldn't say White has a higher ceiling, but rather he has a better skill set for us considering he's more defensive oriented.

Higher ceiling based on your two qualities (length, and athleticism).. :D
I'm not trying to say they're the only criteria, but when you're talking young inexperienced players, there is possibility to improve in certain areas with those qualities while with players without there isn't as much. That's all, I'm not trying to say you completely discount skillset. Also, while I like White more because he's more of a defensive player, Hendrix has got some good length and solid athleticism too; it's not like White dwarfs him in these categories. Anyways, in the end I'd be happy with either one of them, I just see White as more of a Paul Millsap type and Hendrix as a poor man's Boozer; I think we'd be better off with the Millsap type even though the poor man's Boozer might be better overall.

Thompson is a bit on the skinny side, but has the frame to handle it imo.. I was able to download a couple of his games, and will upload to rapidshare if anyone wants me to. He's got a good post game, and a mid range jumper. Good rebounder too, and pretty good passer. I think a lot had to do with his brother being on the same team. They would set each others shot up a lot. That's probably where the high assist numbers come from, but I didn't see "Love" type passing or anything.. Good hands too.

I'm not trying to say they're the only criteria, but when you're talking young inexperienced players, there is possibility to improve in certain areas with those qualities while with players without there isn't as much. That's all, I'm not trying to say you completely discount skillset. Also, while I like White more because he's more of a defensive player, Hendrix has got some good length and solid athleticism too; it's not like White dwarfs him in these categories. Anyways, in the end I'd be happy with either one of them, I just see White as more of a Paul Millsap type and Hendrix as a poor man's Boozer; I think we'd be better off with the Millsap type even though the poor man's Boozer might be better overall.
Actually, the similarities between the two end at 6'8". White is much more athletic than Hendrix, and Hendrix is probably a little stronger than White. I've watched both these guys play and I like them both. I just like White better. Hendrix has played center most of the time, and has very bad lateral movement. Works OK at center, but I think he would have trouble guarding PF's in the NBA. I would project Hendrix as blue collar back-up. But I could see White actually working himself into a starting position for the right team.

Actually, the similarities between the two end at 6'8". White is much more athletic than Hendrix, and Hendrix is probably a little stronger than White. I've watched both these guys play and I like them both. I just like White better. Hendrix has played center most of the time, and has very bad lateral movement. Works OK at center, but I think he would have trouble guarding PF's in the NBA. I would project Hendrix as blue collar back-up. But I could see White actually working himself into a starting position for the right team.
I agree, I was just trying to stick up for Hendrix's athleticism and length, while it's not as good as White's he's still solid in both areas.

Thompson is a bit on the skinny side, but has the frame to handle it imo.. I was able to download a couple of his games, and will upload to rapidshare if anyone wants me to. He's got a good post game, and a mid range jumper. Good rebounder too, and pretty good passer. I think a lot had to do with his brother being on the same team. They would set each others shot up a lot. That's probably where the high assist numbers come from, but I didn't see "Love" type passing or anything.. Good hands too.
Thompson should not be in the discussion for the 12th pick.