Kings Select in the 2008 NBA DRAFT??

Lawson is a bit short and reminds me a lot of DJ Augustin but if Beno re-signs do we still pick a PG and ignore the PF position another year?
Yes. For several reasons.

1. the draft is before free agency. Who knows? Beno could pull a Bonzi. Crazier things have happened.

2. Still not sure where Beno could take us. Why not hedge our bets with another, potential star PG, waiting in the wings? It's a win-win, especially since we wouldn't have to throw the young PG to the wolves right away.

3. This is THE year to draft a PG. You can still try to trade for a late first rounder (Artest has to be worth something, right?) and get Thompson. Or wait for next year, and try to nab Blake Griffin.

Lawson is a bit short and reminds me a lot of DJ Augustin but if Beno re-signs do we still pick a PG and ignore the PF position another year?
I dunno. On one hand I'm thinking we take a PF cuz we've needed 1 forever but on the other hand I look at like last night's game vs GS and see how many extra assists Beno could have if he was a better passer. He misses Martin on alley oops AJ threw to him 2-3 times per game. He's not the greatest shooter either. If we had a better PG... I dunno.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080319

"And then there's the most polarizing NBA prospect of this decade, someone who's inevitably going to look awful in workouts (except for shooting drills) and runs like he's trying to find a bathroom. Yeah, Kevin Love is slow. Yeah, he can't jump. Yeah, he doesn't run as much as he waddles. Yeah, some NBA guys will abuse him on the low post, so you'd have to protect him with double-teams and a shot-blocker if you had one. Yeah, he's probably not posting up that many folks in the pros. Unlike Westbrook, Love brings a ton of stuff to the table but takes off some forks and a couple of knives and maybe even a dinner plate. I concede all of these things."

That description right there about Love is enough to scares me away from drafting him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080319

"And then there's the most polarizing NBA prospect of this decade, someone who's inevitably going to look awful in workouts (except for shooting drills) and runs like he's trying to find a bathroom. Yeah, Kevin Love is slow. Yeah, he can't jump. Yeah, he doesn't run as much as he waddles. Yeah, some NBA guys will abuse him on the low post, so you'd have to protect him with double-teams and a shot-blocker if you had one. Yeah, he's probably not posting up that many folks in the pros. Unlike Westbrook, Love brings a ton of stuff to the table but takes off some forks and a couple of knives and maybe even a dinner plate. I concede all of these things."

That description right there about Love is enough to scares me away from drafting him.
Yeah that's why I'm not for him also. He'll get abused in the post and you'll need to hide him on D. You'll need a shotblocker. We don't even have any of those right now. If we go with him we have to dump Hawes or go forward with a terrible defensive frontcourt for the next 10-15 years.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
The Sports Guy, AKA Bill Simmons, is the last person you should be looking to for draft advice. His comments are generally written to get a laugh. There is some truth to his statement, but it isn't as extreme as he's making it out to be. We'll find out very shortly how Love handles the tourney.

Furthermore, you should at least add this part of the same article:

"Just know this: Love always gets his 17-10 (at least) no matter whom the Bruins are playing. He's always in the right place at the right time. He always seems to get garbage points and tip-ins even when he's surrounded by three guys. He's a naturally gifted rebounder, averaging more than 10 boards in just 29 minutes a game this season. He's an absolutely outrageous passer, unquestionably the best passing college center since … since … I can't even remember. He's a natural 3-point shooter and even makes them with a hand in his face. Over the past 25 years, you could say this about only two other big guys (Bill Laimbeer and Rasheed Wallace)."

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If I had my druthers, I would love to draft Griffin, but we still don't know if he's coming out or not. My next choice would be Thompson. He sort of fits the bill of a lot of people. He's athletic. Maybe not as athletic as Arthur, but sill he's athletic. He's big 6'10" or 6'11" ( we'll know for sure after the pre-draft camp ), and he knows how to play the game. He has some skills to go along with upside and potential. He's not a polished player, but he's skilled enough that he could come in and contribute fairly soon.

I'm not against taking a pt guard, but only if its someone that truely warrants it. Such as Bayless or Augustin. I think their both going to be special players. I'm not a big fan of Lawson. I'm still on the fence with Collison. Lets see how he plays in the Tourney.

I agree with Gary that we certainly will have a pool of talented players to choose from.

This is why we need 2 first round picks more then ever... If we had a couple picks at around #13/#15 we could get Lawson/Augustin, and Love/Thompson..

This is why we need 2 first round picks more then ever... If we had a couple picks at around #13/#15 we could get Lawson/Augustin, and Love/Thompson..
Which is why I posted this thread ;)

But seriously. This draft is loaded with PGs. I'm not sure you it's safe to say Beno is the PG of the future (although I would re-sign him for around 4-5 years at the MLE, and worst case scenario he's a reasonably-priced holdover before the lotto pick can take over in a year or so).

Then I'd see if I could trade up with our second+filler (Douby?) to see if I could nab Thompson. Maybe even get another mid-first with an Artest or Miller deal. Or we could get a guy like Tyrus Thomas or Villanueva to try out by dealing one of our vets.

But this is the year to take a point guard. There will always be bigs next year (especially if Griffin and Robin Lopez stay). The way our roster is structured (too much dead weight in the frontcourt), and considering how many good PGs there are, you go PG, Beno or no Beno.

Which is why I posted this thread ;)

But seriously. This draft is loaded with PGs. I'm not sure you it's safe to say Beno is the PG of the future (although I would re-sign him for around 4-5 years at the MLE, and worst case scenario he's a reasonably-priced holdover before the lotto pick can take over in a year or so).

Then I'd see if I could trade up with our second+filler (Douby?) to see if I could nab Thompson. Maybe even get another mid-first with an Artest or Miller deal. Or we could get a guy like Tyrus Thomas or Villanueva to try out by dealing one of our vets.

But this is the year to take a point guard. There will always be bigs next year (especially if Griffin and Robin Lopez stay). The way our roster is structured (too much dead weight in the frontcourt), and considering how many good PGs there are, you go PG, Beno or no Beno.

At this point I think I'd go for a PG(Augustin best case, maybe Collison/Lawson if we don't get lucky) and try to trade for Tyrus Thomas. He never really got a chance in Chicago cuz they were looking for a post presence out of their PF(which GOoden has been for them).

Beno

I think you still re-sign Beno regardless if you draft a PG this year. It's the 1 or 2 hardest positions to learn/transition to in the NBA and all of the top will need a few to realize their potential (rose being the most likely to star immediately). Even Nash had to bounce around a bit before anyone knew what they had. Beno is a solid starter now and ready to see more minutes. remember, he still has some learning to do as he's never gotten extended mins since his rookie year. His asst numbers will rise, even though he's a shoot first kind of PG, just like Bibby was (MB did avg over 8 asst in Mem I believe prior to coming to the Kings). the MLE is not that taxing cap wise and you could still move him at that salary later if/when another guys deveops. JMO

I think you still re-sign Beno regardless if you draft a PG this year. It's the 1 or 2 hardest positions to learn/transition to in the NBA and all of the top will need a few to realize their potential (rose being the most likely to star immediately). Even Nash had to bounce around a bit before anyone knew what they had. Beno is a solid starter now and ready to see more minutes. remember, he still has some learning to do as he's never gotten extended mins since his rookie year. His asst numbers will rise, even though he's a shoot first kind of PG, just like Bibby was (MB did avg over 8 asst in Mem I believe prior to coming to the Kings). the MLE is not that taxing cap wise and you could still move him at that salary later if/when another guys deveops. JMO

It's the type of offense the Kings run (the reason MB averaged less assists right when coming over to the Kings). We are probably still half and half, and leaning toward the PG running it all again like most teams.. We did have a long run though using that Bigman passing offense.

Yeah, watching AJ has really made me jump onto the Augustin bandwagon. Beno, I think, has the scoring mentality that would make him a nice sixth man off the bench.
Yah, Beno totally reminds me of BJAX. Beno has better PG abilities, but BJAX is a bit quicker, and can score a little more.. But otehr than that they are pretty much the same player.

Yah, Beno totally reminds me of BJAX. Beno has better PG abilities, but BJAX is a bit quicker, and can score a little more.. But otehr than that they are pretty much the same player.
I'd say Beno has a ways to go before he is as good as B-Jax was defensively.

Also, even though I'm very very concerned about Arthur's rebounding and passing, he's got a skillset that is so reminiscent of Amare that it's scary. I'd hate to pass that up. He's already proven he can blend in with players who are very talented, so I think that his production is very translatable to the NBA.

Also, even though I'm very very concerned about Arthur's rebounding and passing, he's got a skillset that is so reminiscent of Amare that it's scary. I'd hate to pass that up. He's already proven he can blend in with players who are very talented, so I think that his production is very translatable to the NBA.
Taking Arthur if Augustin, Randolph, and Batum or gone is a good move IMO, considering if we're picking in the late lottery still (which is more than likely) then taking a kid who's got size, length, athleticism, and already has some good post skills is a solid pick. He's not a finished product and he definitely has some concerns, but he's moldable (totally made that up) and he can learn the skills he needs to, add the strength he needs to, and that could give him more confidence and assertiveness. He's not the ideal addition we'd like, but he's somewhat ideal at that spot and more ideal than Love IMO, who despite possibly losing some body fat and gaining a little athleticism is largely a finished product.

My problem with Arthur is that he's real small for PF (neither size or height), and does not have the skills of a SF. It's the ultimate tweener. His rebounding is at about the same clip as Corliss Williamson was in College. Rebounding is based a lot off of instinct, and if you don't have it in college than odds are you won't have it in the pros. Not many poor college rebounder's go on to make good NBA rebounder's, and that's one of our main weaknesses right now.

Both Amare, and Arthur were OK in high school though.. Jr. year Arthur averaged 17 boards per game, and Amare averaged 15. But Arthur's senior year he only averaged 10 a game.

Last edited:
When it comes to the PF spot, the one thing that a 4 absolutely must have is rebounding, imo. Arthur gives you everything but. Having lived through the Wyman Tisdale era, I'm terrified of PF that max out at 7 rebounds a game. Even if Arthur reaches his potential and scores 16 to 18 ppg, what are we to do with a PF that averages say, 17 and 6.5? We'd be outrebounded every night. Imo, Darrell is best suited for an up tempo team like the Warriors that can utilize his athleticism and doesn't require a lot of D from the big man.

At this point, there is no good choices to pair with Hawes. Arthur can't rebound, Love is a stiff, Thompson is basically a jump-shooting big man from what I can tell, Randolph is a SF, and don't tell me Hansbrough is the answer.

I'd go for a PG but I don't think DJ Augustin will drop to us, and I think Collison and Lawson are big reaches.

And if we take another SG/SF, I will puke. Although I'm intrgued by Javale McGee. Anyone saw this kid play?

Arthur may be skinny, but he's clearly not undersized heightwise. He was as tall as, if not taller, than both Horford and Richards when they played last year, both of whom are listed at 6'9. Height and athelticism isn't an issue for Arthur, but yeah, his rebounding really is a big red flag.

Amare has the athletecism but also had a very aggressive game that I think Arthur lacks too. But really, at #12, there are going to be some flawed prospects around, and Arthur just may become the lucky break this franchise needs. Or he could flame out, then it's back to square one.

When it comes to the PF spot, the one thing that a 4 absolutely must have is rebounding, imo. Arthur gives you everything but. Having lived through the Wyman Tisdale era, I'm terrified of PF that max out at 7 rebounds a game. Even if Arthur reaches his potential and scores 16 to 18 ppg, what are we to do with a PF that averages say, 17 and 6.5? We'd be outrebounded every night. Imo, Darrell is best suited for an up tempo team like the Warriors that can utilize his athleticism and doesn't require a lot of D from the big man.

At this point, there is no good choices to pair with Hawes. Arthur can't rebound, Love is a stiff, Thompson is basically a jump-shooting big man from what I can tell, Randolph is a SF, and don't tell me Hansbrough is the answer.

I'd go for a PG but I don't think DJ Augustin will drop to us, and I think Collison and Lawson are big reaches.

And if we take another SG/SF, I will puke. Although I'm intrgued by Javale McGee. Anyone saw this kid play?
I don't see how you can pigeon hole Randolph into the SF position. At this point whether he is a SF or PF depends on what he focuses on. He's easily got the size and length to be a PF, he's got shot blocking ability, and he has rebounded well at the college level (take it for what it's worth). He'd definitely be a perimeter oriented PF like Bosh, but that's the kind of potential we can really use. Also, what would be so bad if he turned into an all-star SF? Do we have that positioned locked up? Not from where I'm sitting.

I don't see how you can pigeon hole Randolph into the SF position. At this point whether he is a SF or PF depends on what he focuses on. He's easily got the size and length to be a PF, he's got shot blocking ability, and he has rebounded well at the college level (take it for what it's worth). He'd definitely be a perimeter oriented PF like Bosh, but that's the kind of potential we can really use. Also, what would be so bad if he turned into an all-star SF? Do we have that positioned locked up? Not from where I'm sitting.
My issue with Randolph is who here actually has seen him play? I haven't and I watch pretty much every college game, or at least Tivo them, and not once did I see an LSU game.

I guess if you have lived in Louisiana you might see him play, so I did the next best thing.. I went onto a LSU message board, and talked to people that have seen him play.. People that have seen him play a LOT.. They say;
1. Randolph is a beanpole, and not sure whether or not his frame can support much "bulk".
2. Has an OK jumpshot inside 15ft, but not very consistent. If he's on, than he scores inside of 15ft pretty easy.
3. He is decent at boxing out, but gets pushed around because of how skinny he is.
4. Good on the offensive glass because he is a good runner. A lot of his boards come on a quick shot by someone else, and he being the only big on that side to grab a board, and put back.

They said he also has a lot of potential, but he's not ready for the NBA life.

I saw him play 2-3 times. He looked pretty good to me. Similar to the description above but when he puts on weight and HE CAN IMO, he is going to be an ABSOLUTE BEAST. The guy can handle the ball and he's got a pretty nice J within 15 feet. He's a pretty good rebounder and his quickness helps him. Nice shotblocker as well. I dunno he seems to have the same concerns KG had when he was drafted. Am I saying he'll be KG? Not really but I think his potential is a poor man's KG which is still a hella good player. He's worth the gamble.

I also REALLY REALLY HOPE Westbrook from UCLA comes out. He has a ton of potential and they have Jrue Holiday and someone else I can't remember coming in next year as their starting guards. His stock is pretty good right now, like in the 10-15 area so we'd have a good shot at him. I think he has all the potential in the world to be honest. Reminds me a lot of Devin Harris.

My issue with Randolph is who here actually has seen him play? I haven't and I watch pretty much every college game, or at least Tivo them, and not once did I see an LSU game.

I guess if you have lived in Louisiana you might see him play, so I did the next best thing.. I went onto a LSU message board, and talked to people that have seen him play.. People that have seen him play a LOT.. They say;
1. Randolph is a beanpole, and not sure whether or not his frame can support much "bulk".
2. Has an OK jumpshot inside 15ft, but not very consistent. If he's on, than he scores inside of 15ft pretty easy.
3. He is decent at boxing out, but gets pushed around because of how skinny he is.
4. Good on the offensive glass because he is a good runner. A lot of his boards come on a quick shot by someone else, and he being the only big on that side to grab a board, and put back.

They said he also has a lot of potential, but he's not ready for the NBA life.
It's not like the dude has to put on 60 lbs or something, but he's 6'10-6'11, the dude can handle putting on an extra 30+ lbs. Is he ready for NBA life? I don't know, probably not, but that still doesn't mean he's destined to be a bust or something and at the 13thish pick what more do you really expect? We develop him slowly, probably put him in the D league at first. His problems can be solved with adding strength and experience to his game, he's got all the unteachable tools to work with.

It's not like the dude has to put on 60 lbs or something, but he's 6'10-6'11, the dude can handle putting on an extra 30+ lbs. Is he ready for NBA life? I don't know, probably not, but that still doesn't mean he's destined to be a bust or something and at the 13thish pick what more do you really expect? We develop him slowly, probably put him in the D league at first. His problems can be solved with adding strength and experience to his game, he's got all the unteachable tools to work with.

yah 30lbs should be enough.. Didn't say anything bad about him..

With a 13th pick I would try to get someone who is not going to have to be in the D-League. That's not what you are supposed to expect with any draft pick. If unteachable you mean height, and athleticism then yes.. He's got all of those features.. But that D-League comment was bit much. You don't want to pick a guy and have him go to the D-League to "ripen" for a year or two. I would rather take best available than have to wait to watch our pick play.

With a 13th pick I would try to get someone who is not going to have to be in the D-League. That's not what you are supposed to expect with any draft pick. If unteachable you mean height, and athleticism then yes.. He's got all of those features.. But that D-League comment was bit much. You don't want to pick a guy and have him go to the D-League to "ripen" for a year or two. I would rather take best available than have to wait to watch our pick play.

We're the 12th pick guys...

Anyway I don't think he'd have to go to the D-League.

But a guy like Randolph will be at least 3 years from contributing...

Again, See Love tonight? Anyone purchase the Direc-TV package? 4 games on one screen kicks butt. UCLA has one hell of a team Defense. The only way that anyone will ever threaten UCLA is if they play a team that has tremendous interior play. Kansas, Georgetown, North Carolina, Memphis, Stanford, and a couple others..

Texas A&M might give them some problems but in return UCLA will abuse them down low as well.. I predict a 66-57 game on Saturday for UCLA over A&M..

Duke stands no chance if they advance.. Not against UCLA's perimeter D. Purdue, Xavier are run and gun teams.. No chance.. UCONN? Maybe...

Where we're picking there are no guidelines, just what suits us best and right now we should be thinking about what will be the best for us in the future. If waiting is what you're concerned about then you're not thinking objectively because waiting is an inevitability we're going to have to get used to regardless of who we pick. I'd rather us be patient and have it pay off in the end than be impatient and draft someone who has little chance at ever being an all-star/cornerstone type player. While I'm not saying Randolph is a shoe in for that projection, it's certainly a possibility for him considering his size/length/athleticism and a base for a good skill set.

Also, it's not like I'm talking about sending him down there for a year at a time, I'm saying when he's not getting any PT up here, he can go down to the D league to work on his game; it's not an uncommon thing to do.