Kings Select in the 2008 NBA DRAFT??

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'd trade everyone on the Kings except for Hawes and Martin to get B. Lopez. They could play with just those three guys next year if that's what it would take. Lopez is the IDEAL compliment to Hawes. I like Collison also, but it's sooo hard to evaluate him for the next level.

As for the foul, too much emphasis on one foul calls. U - C - L - A!!!!
Ahh, but if the situation were reversed, would you feel the same way.. S T A N F O R D...

I don't think we should draft for position (with the exception of not drafting a pure SG). We could fill all of our positions with average/above average guys, but that won't win us anything. I think we should parlay with the Knicks about a possible Ron + Salmons/Garcia in an attempt to pry their pick from them, draft on pure potential, and hope one of the two turns out to be a star. To rebuild properly, you have to commit to it and you have to be lucky.

I think the two biggest needs on the Kings in the draft are a solid back-up PG or possible starter over Beno and a tall, banging, PF who will give the team a stronger inside presence. Shelden Williams is more like 6'7 than 6'9 from what I see. Hawes has shown he's not a banger, shot blocker inside, but has the potential to develop more of a game down low. They have enough wing players which are a dime a dozen in the NBA anyway. If one or both of the above can't be obtained in the upcoming draft, hopefully something develops via free agent market.
we already have our future backup PG in beno.

To rebuild properly, you have to commit to it and you have to be lucky.
so do you think the heat are "lucky"? they've basically thrown in the towel for the season... shut wade down. have a bunch of expirings coming off the books.. is that "luck"?

wade+marion+top 3 pick..+capspace(for top free agent signing)

wade/marion/beasly or rose and lets say a top flight free agent center or pg.

they'll be back in the mix in one - two years. us? who the hell knows with the way we're ------ around.

I like Westbrook too, but even though he's a good passer I don't really see him as a point guard, more like a slashing 2. He's more in the Dwyane Wade/Brandon Roy mold, although not nearly there yet, obviously. And while I like them both, I think Collison is a better fit for the Kings, assuming Kevin Martin is the future at the 2.

Here's why I like Collison more than Lawson and Augustin -- you're totally right, he's not flashy. He plays within the offense, he gets the ball down into the post, he makes his teammates better. That's my main complaint about Augustin and Lawson -- sure, they're gifted offensively, at least in terms of slashing, and they get their assists, but do they really make the players around them better? I don't see it in quite the way I see it with Collison.

Meanwhile, Collison can still take over games. You saw it last night -- Love went to the bench, UCLA needed a lift, Collison simply took over the game with his shooting and driving. He has a killer outside shot (almost 50% from three!), and he's good in the lane. He's got the whole package, he's just a team player and so you don't see him take over games as often.

And I like how his game translates to the NBA better than Lawson and Augustin. He's a better outside shooter than they are, meaning he'll probably adapt to the NBA three better. He'll run your offense and be a true point. The skill he's really good at that he can always fall back on is that he's a better defender than both of them combined. Worst case in the NBA he's a more-athletic Earl Watson. In the best case I really think he could be just a notch below Paul and Deron Williams -- and at #12 I think that's pretty solid.
I like Collison, he's a solid prospect. But looking at who we have for the future right now (Martin/Hawes being really the only guys we KNOW will be starters), we really need another guy who can create offense for the team. I think Hawes can be one of those guys as his postgame develops, but Martin really only creates for himself. We need another guy we can run our offense through. I really like Augustin because he creates offense for everyone through his quickness and vision. I don't know if Collison can do that on the next level.

Then again, we could use some perimeter defense out there. In all, I wouldnt' mind selecting Collison, but I would rather have Augustin.

we already have our future backup PG in beno.
I agree, and that's why I said, "or possible starter over Beno." It's very rare for a drafted PG to immediately come starting right away at NBA high level. Thus, Beno might still be starting next season (assuming he resigns with the Kings) or he could be a backup if the team lands a top NBA free agent PG or obtains one in a trade.

You know what has actually embedded itself into my brain? Remember the other night when Kobe took over and pretty much buried the Kings?

Well there is a guy in the draft with that potential. His name is OJ Mayo. I know he is small for a 2, and not up to playing 1 full time, but the guy can score, and the guy is pretty much one of the top two in pure talent. Why not look for our superstar? If things work out we have the future of the franchise.

Was just thinking.. I know I know.. Not the best thing to do with our pick, but Mayo is a guy that's going to be around int he NBA for a long time, and is about as sure of thing as there is.

Collison doesn't have the scoring ability to be much more than a role playing starter at best, he's not who we need as our franchise PG. He doesn't finish well enough for the NBA, he doesn't have much of an in between game, and his shooting off the dribble needs a lot of work. Augustin while is not as good of a defender is much better shot creator, he'll make plays.

Well there is a guy in the draft with that potential. His name is OJ Mayo. I know he is small for a 2, and not up to playing 1 full time, but the guy can score, and the guy is pretty much one of the top two in pure talent. Why not look for our superstar? If things work out we have the future of the franchise.

he seems to have a great work ethic from what i have been hearing, i think if he is still around when we pick their should be no doubt in the mind of kings big wigs.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
A couple of things. First of all, I'm not sure why Beno isn't considered our starting pt by some of you. His assist to turnover ratio is great. He's averaging more assists than Bibby was and certainly holding up his end on scoring. He a much better defender than Bibby and only 25 yrs old. The reason I mention Bibby is because most people were fine with him as a starter, so it confuses me a little when they don't even consider Beno as our future Pt.

As far as O J Mayo is concerned. He's a very talented player. Maybe even Michael Jorden type of talented. He has some point guard skills, but I see him more as 2 guard. He's an intriguing player. He could be the next Wade, or he could be the next Francis. I personaly lean toward his being the next Wade or Arenas. I suspect that he will be gone before we pick, but if he still there, I think we should take him.

As far as O J Mayo is concerned. He's a very talented player. Maybe even Michael Jorden type of talented. He has some point guard skills, but I see him more as 2 guard. He's an intriguing player. He could be the next Wade, or he could be the next Francis. I personaly lean toward his being the next Wade or Arenas. I suspect that he will be gone before we pick, but if he still there, I think we should take him.
I think Marbury would be the best comparison.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Mayo certainly has a Marbury-sized ego. If he declares, I doubt he'll be available when the Kings pick.

lets pretend we only win 4 more games.....where would our lottery chances be? and i have not problem losing to minn and clipps and any other team worse than us this year. helps our chances.

so do you think the heat are "lucky"? they've basically thrown in the towel for the season... shut wade down. have a bunch of expirings coming off the books.. is that "luck"?
No, that's being committed and making smart decisions. Drafting Wade was lucky. We have nobody on this roster that is on his level, and until we do, we're going to have to hope for some luck.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Did anyone else watch USC dominate Stanford yesterday? OJ Mayo, Taj Gibson, Dwight Lewis, and Davon Jefferson all had good games. Gibson was credited with 5 blocks for the game and I think most of those were on Brook Lopez. Oh yeah, and Mayo says he's staying one more year:

“So far, I’ll be returning,” Mayo said with a smile one day after declining comment on the future. “I don’t know. I think it’s kind of selfish right now to be worried about next year.
“It’s my first year. As a kid, I always dreamed about playing in March Madness.”

Did anyone else watch USC dominate Stanford yesterday? OJ Mayo, Taj Gibson, Dwight Lewis, and Davon Jefferson all had good games. Gibson was credited with 5 blocks for the game and I think most of those were on Brook Lopez. Oh yeah, and Mayo says he's staying one more year:

“So far, I’ll be returning,” Mayo said with a smile one day after declining comment on the future. “I don’t know. I think it’s kind of selfish right now to be worried about next year.
“It’s my first year. As a kid, I always dreamed about playing in March Madness.”
Hopefully (for his sake) that he keeps to his word because he's not ready.

No, that's being committed and making smart decisions. Drafting Wade was lucky. We have nobody on this roster that is on his level, and until we do, we're going to have to hope for some luck.
we don't have any of the above you mentioned.

committed? nada

smart decisions? SAR, Salmons and Mikki .. record speaks for itself

lucky? tied for the 6th or 7th and ended up w/ the 10th pick..

committed? nada

Weren't we tied with Portland and Charlotte for 8th?? Who then went on to draft Oden and Wright...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

committed? nada

and that 10th pick certainly looked good tonight. And John Salmons did a pretty good job against #24 on the opposing team.

I beleive that Hardin is going to be a very good player. He plays center for Cal, but I believe he'll be a PF in the NBA. Very athletic and is improving his game. I also think he has a bigger upside than some of the other PF's projected ahead of him.
Why not just take the PF from Cal, Ryan Anderson? He has a college career double double averaging over 21 points.

Plus he's a local kid from Oakridge (El Dorado Hills) who won a regional championship there.

Darrell Arthur. Hes a freak athletically and has a ton of potential. The way he plays at Kansas would be good transition to how we run the offense now.

We'll be fine if we take Thabeet or McGee. Obviously Thabeet is preferred, but he might not fall to us.

I still think we should work a trade with Phoenix. Give them Salmons like they want and take their (Atlanta's) draft pick and turn it into someone like Tyler Smith.

Re-sign Beno for 3 yrs and AJ for 1.

Beno/AJ
Martin/Douby
Garcia/Smith
Moore/Hawes
Miller/Thabeet