Gerald Green to Houston

Wow, no link yet but it looks like Gerald Green was traded to Houston for Snyder and a 2nd rounder. That's a great deal for Houston. Little annoyed that we didn't get in on that. Chad Ford said it's the biggest deal of the day, that's my source.

BTW, not confirmed as of yet. I'll delete this thread if it's not true.

Green is terrible.
He's young, he's cheap, he's exciting and he's got potential. I'm pretty sure he could have been had for AJ or Lue and a 2nd rounder. You're statement is only an opinion at this stage, he has a long career ahead of him. Players have proven again and again that they can go from so called "Scrub" to "Star".

Great deal for Houston. Lost next to nothing, and gained a good prospect.

Green has been compare to Tracy McGrady in term of potential when he was drafted. Who knows, maybe playing with Tmac will help elevate his game

He's young, he's cheap, he's exciting and he's got potential. I'm pretty sure he could have been had for AJ or Lue and a 2nd rounder. You're statement is only an opinion at this stage, he has a long career ahead of him. Players have proven again and again that they can go from so called "Scrub" to "Star".

No, he's terrible. He's been in the league three years and has shown no improvement. He's clueless on the court, he can't shoot, he has no handle, and the only excitement he brings is in dunk contests. If he had a long career ahead of him or if he were destined to go from scrub to star he would be showing improvement (and I guarantee you the two teams who have given up on him wouldn't have done so). Instead his numbers have gotten worse as time went on. He was in a perfect situation in Minnesota, couldn't take advantage.

Just because someone is hyped doesn't mean they're good. Green has gotten way more hype than he deserves.

Joe Johnson and Chauncey Billups are good examples. Although I don't think they were ever really scrubs, just Chris Wallace is a moron. Can you believe he couldve had Chauncey, Joe Johnson, and Paul Pierce all on the same team? He traded away Chauncey for some nobodies and the same with JJ. That'd be one hell of a perimeter.

Green was born in Houston and has always wanted to play for the Rockets. With his 6'8 open court style some dreamed he was the next T-Mac. He was a slam dunking high school sensation in Texas, but his pro career has not "rocketed" - so far.

No, he's terrible. He's been in the league three years and has shown no improvement. He's clueless on the court, he can't shoot, he has no handle, and the only excitement he brings is in dunk contests. If he had a long career ahead of him or if he were destined to go from scrub to star he would be showing improvement (and I guarantee you the two teams who have given up on him wouldn't have done so). Instead his numbers have gotten worse as time went on. He was in a perfect situation in Minnesota, couldn't take advantage.

Just because someone is hyped doesn't mean they're good. Green has gotten way more hype than he deserves.
Yeah, there's absolutely no hope for an insanely athletic 22 (?) year old. Your logic is not correct. Being traded multiple times does not mean you have no chance of success. I'm not saying he will be a star, but Houston clearly got the better end of the deal here.
It's like you have a personal vendetta against the man. I think I'll reserve judgement until he actually is given a chance to show his talents.
That's it for me, not bothered to argue about something like this right now.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah, there's absolutely no hope for an insanely athletic 22 (?) year old. Your logic is not correct. Being traded multiple times does not mean you have no chance of success. I'm not saying he will be a star, but Houston clearly got the better end of the deal here.
It's like you have a personal vendetta against the man. I think I'll reserve judgement until he actually is given a chance to show his talents.
nbrans did nothing to merit the "personal vendetta" comment. You need to take the attitude down a notch or so...

:rolleyes:

I happen to agree with those who don't think we missed out on much. And the Kings AREN'T involved in every trade negotation that goes on. So Gerald Green went to Houston. Big deal.

No vendetta here, I'm just calling it like I see it. The guy is shooting 33% this season. This is his third season. He was on a rebuilding team actively LOOKING for players like him, and they gave him away. He had every chance in the world to show his talents. He's still young, he may get better, but I don't think the odds are great. How many players do you know whose numbers (in terms of percentages/per minute averages) dipped two consecutive seasons and then went on to stardom? Check out McGrady's or Kobe's or Martin's first three seasons for some comparisons.

nbrans did nothing to merit the "personal vendetta" comment. You need to take the attitude down a notch or so...

:rolleyes:

I happen to agree with those who don't think we missed out on much. And the Kings AREN'T involved in every trade negotation that goes on. So Gerald Green went to Houston. Big deal.
Honestly, I had no intention of that comment being taken as an insult. My point was that nbrans, to me, seemed to be a little too down on Green. And I also didn't imply the Kings were involved in any talks regarding this, just that it's the type of deal we should be looking for.

No vendetta here, I'm just calling it like I see it. The guy is shooting 33% this season. This is his third season. He was on a rebuilding team actively LOOKING for players like him, and they gave him away. He had every chance in the world to show his talents. He's still young, he may get better, but I don't think the odds are great. How many players do you know whose numbers (in terms of percentages/per minute averages) dipped two consecutive seasons and then went on to stardom? Check out McGrady's or Kobe's or Martin's first three seasons for some comparisons.
nbrand, apologies if my post came out a little harsher than it was meant to, I really didn't mean for it to come out that way. Anyway, my main point was that I still think Gerald has a chance to succeed. Many NBA players develop late, although that's a trend usually followed by big men. Houston got him cheaply, they didn't have to give up much. At the end of the day, the got an athletic first round pick who is still very young for spare change. I like that deal for them, even if Green doesn't succeed. It's worth the risk.

no to mention, rick adelman may have a chance to guide green to being a solid player, and may realise his full potential.

if anyone can do it i think coach adelman can, although he had a problem with g-wall (which was really more of a playing time problem, with the likes of peja still in the team), players who came in to play with us during adelmans time here, usually had career best form. ala bonzi, damon jones. don't forget how he slowly brought up kevin.

let's hope rick can help this kid out =)

Green's problem is he plays no defense at all. He is a foul machine and that keeps him off the floor. He focuses on scoring instead of the things that will keep him on the court.

I was at Summer League this year. In the final game we watched Green play for the Celts. First of all he was a horrible ballhog who didn't really want to be a summer league. Second of all I was sitting next to a Celtics fan who just bashed and bashed Green for his horrible play. The guy is bad, isn't getting much better and probally will never get that much better. If he was so talented, why would he be traded for another nothing player in Snyder and included in the Celtics deal for KG since his contract is so small. The guy has been a total disappointment and has been immature since his coming into the league.