Tennis: Grand Slammin Australian Open 2008

It's a rare occasion when this aging man feels moved to forsake a night's sleep to take on a special event and this was such an occasion. My friend and i were uncompromising rebels willing to forsake our needed rest to 'experience,' if you will, the electric excitement felt throughout Melbo'n (they don't pronounce the r in Australia), Australia and the tennis nation for this fabled match between two new sensations (for once it wasn't Federer or Nadal taking their paces for still another racqueted duel) to crown a new men's champion.

I can't remember a moment where there was more anticipation for a men's championship - that built up gradually over this unpredictible tennis championship - than this particular match. You could feel it in the arena, sense it in the remarks of the commentators and taste it in the drinks and treats we all savored as we sat for this Super Bowl of tennis engagements.

Djokovic rose to the occasion. It appears Tsonga faltered. Certainly didn't match the crisp magnficence of his victory over Nadal a few nights earlier but then he was facing a much different type of challenge. Djokovic was ready to take on the mantle. He has arrived. No mistake.

Played brilliantly, intensely and after a shaky first set with a focus that would not be denied. The Serbian nation has been redeemed. They have their first champion with promise unwavering by the steady march of another probable champion - Ana Ivanovic.

Congratulations to all, players, fans and KFers. It was a memorable Grand Slam. We'll meet again in Paris, eh, to talk about this great game of Grand Slam tennis and enjoy the unprecedented thrill of watching these special warriors in the coliseum of power and artistry. It's a grand game. And a Grand Slam dunk for good times and spectacular conquests. Gnight, y'all. Gnight and good wishes until then...

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Incredibly refreshing to see a new name at the top... I tried my best but couldn't stay awake for the entire match. I'm really looking forward to the French Open. Congratulations to all our Serbian fans.

Djokovic majstore!

Silly question. When we are saying that Djokovic is a first Serbian grand slam winner, are we saying a first winner since Serbia as a country was formed? Wasn't Monika Seles still a Yugoslavian citizen when she won her grand slams in early 90s? And she is from Vojvodina which is part of Serbia.

Anyway.. :) Congrats to Nole!! I slept through first set but stayed up to watch rest of the game. My wife thinks I'm crazy to watch two people bounce a little yellow ball back and forth for 3 hours :)

piksi

Hall of Famer
Silly question. When we are saying that Djokovic is a first Serbian grand slam winner, are we saying a first winner since Serbia as a country was formed? Wasn't Monika Seles still a Yugoslavian citizen when she won her grand slams in early 90s? And she is from Vojvodina which is part of Serbia.

Anyway.. :) Congrats to Nole!! I slept through first set but stayed up to watch rest of the game. My wife thinks I'm crazy to watch two people bounce a little yellow ball back and forth for 3 hours :)

I changed my work schedule for the last 10 days so I can watch it It was worth it

I finally got some time to come here!Novak is the most loved Serb this days on the planet.30% of the kids in Serbia who were born lately got their names after Novak,Ana or Jelena!:D
Djokovic's hard work just payed of and I wish him to win all the Grand slams this year!Also,I have to say that we watched great tennis on this Australian open and I think Tsonga is going to reach the top 3 players pretty soon.
VF - I like your serbian!;)
vj9999 - Novak is the first SERB!Like you said,Monica was playing for Yugoslavia,that was kind of different country,bigger country.

I finally got some time to come here!Novak is the most loved Serb this days on the planet.30% of the kids in Serbia who were born lately got their names after Novak,Ana or Jelena!:D
Djokovic's hard work just payed of and I wish him to win all the Grand slams this year!Also,I have to say that we watched great tennis on this Australian open and I think Tsonga is going to reach the top 3 players pretty soon.
VF - I like your serbian!;)
vj9999 - Novak is the first SERB!Like you said,Monica was playing for Yugoslavia,that was kind of different country,bigger country.
Peja
Nice to here from the homeland. It's amazing how a culture can get behind a celebrated individual like one's tennis star and before you know it there are thousands of Novaks and Anas and Jelenas running around the neighborhood. Love of the game can bring good people together. And this is a great game.

I would say that while i was very intrigued by JW Tsonga i felt he has a way to go to get to the top three. Not because he doesn't have extraordinary skills. That guy is gifted.

But it's the mental game that makes all the difference in being a champion and Novak demonstrated that. With his preparation for each big match. With his tenacity on court. With his ability to create a point in the rally instead of rush the big forehand. And mostly his steadfast attention to the goal. He has been making his way to the top for some time.

The mental game is that hallowed place where champions dwell. Federer, Henin, Sharapova, Serena Williams, the beloved Monica Seles (who i miss so much) and many, many others.

I wish JW Tsonga well. He has charisma and excites the crowd. But i am not sure he is ready to hold the trophy of a champion...

Incredibly refreshing to see a new name at the top... I tried my best but couldn't stay awake for the entire match. I'm really looking forward to the French Open. Congratulations to all our Serbian fans.

Djokovic majstore!
Oh, you declined it perfectly (majstor/majstore)... I'm impressed.