Lakers discussion

What a game! And the Lakers didn't disappoint on Christmas day. I really like Andrew Bynum. 28 points, 12 rebounds 4 assists, 2 blocked... and owned Amare Stoudemire again. After the hype of D'Antoni getting upset for Jackson calling a timeout in Game 1, the Lakers didn't let down. If the Lakers keep winning at this pace, would Kobe finally win his first MVP???

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Futuristic is a Lakers fan. - VF21

Last edited:
What the???

Anyway I feel like PHX is never going to win a title with D'antoni as coach. Outside of the pick and roll they don't have any half court offense. When they get pounded in the post by a big like Bynum did tonight, they have no answer and they get slowed so they can't run as much. So then when they're in the half court Nash gets a pick and roll a couple times and if that doesn't work they can't get a good shot. They don't have much off the ball movement, they have nobody with a post game, they don't have great isolation players, they don't have great 3 point shooters(Nash is great at it but everyone else just seems like a volume chucker to me), when they get slowed down they suck. Their D is terrible. I would love to see them with a good coach.

What a game! And the Lakers didn't disappoint on Christmas day. I really like Andrew Bynum. 28 points, 11 rebounds 4 assists, 2 blocked... and owned Amare Stoudemire again. After the hype of D'Antoni getting upset for Jackson calling a timeout in Game 1, the Lakers didn't let down. If the Lakers keep winning at this pace, would Kobe finally win his first MVP???
Kobe's had an off-year so far by his standards. KG will probably win it.

You cheated Bynum out of a rebound, btw. ;) This is the 2nd time that a coach has vowed revenge for an earlier beating and then walked away meekly after 2 straight. The other being Coby's dad.

Last edited:
What the???

Anyway I feel like PHX is never going to win a title with D'antoni as coach. Outside of the pick and roll they don't have any half court offense. When they get pounded in the post by a big like Bynum did tonight, they have no answer and they get slowed so they can't run as much. So then when they're in the half court Nash gets a pick and roll a couple times and if that doesn't work they can't get a good shot. They don't have much off the ball movement, they have nobody with a post game, they don't have great isolation players, they don't have great 3 point shooters(Nash is great at it but everyone else just seems like a volume chucker to me), when they get slowed down they suck. Their D is terrible. I would love to see them with a good coach.
At halftime, Dan Tony's strategy was to "just keep scoring". That's about the gist of it. Kobe tore them up today, but JVG (who has an obnoxious personality) theorized that Mike would rather have Bynum work on them where they're helpless than to let Kobe shoot contested freakshots. So strike JVG off their short list for coaching candidates.

This Laker team is fun to watch. I bet Kobe is the first to say he was wrong about wanting to trade Bynum, and has been his biggest supporter since the games started. It's very good to see this team develop.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This Laker team is fun to watch. I bet Kobe is the first to say he was wrong about wanting to trade Bynum, and has been his biggest supporter since the games started. It's very good to see this team develop.
We have no problem with Lakers fans who want to come here and talk hoops. Be forewarned, however, that comments like the one above are fair game for any Kings fan to take potshots at.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985

Pot shots, VF21??

How about, Kobe has probably never said he was wrong about anything, nor will he? :p

Oh, about fun to watch...........the only Laker team that is fun to watch is a Laker team that loses. :D

Pot shots, VF21??

How about, Kobe has probably never said he was wrong about anything, nor will he? :p

Oh, about fun to watch...........the only Laker team that is fun to watch is a Laker team that loses. :D
Kobe is a saint... well, maybe in his own mind. ;) And I asked for it by saying the Lakers are fun to watch. I guess you've seen how fun they are for 10 games. :p

Kobe is a saint... well, maybe in his own mind. ;) And I asked for it by saying the Lakers are fun to watch. I guess you've seen how fun they are for 10 games. :p
I wanna see how committed Theus is to doubling/zoning/fronting him as opposed to focusing solely on Kobe. Interesting how the smaller teams of the league are perceiving Bynum now. And I also wonder if Phil is just as wacked out as I think he is if he puts Kwami back in the starting 5.

I wanna see how committed Theus is to doubling/zoning/fronting him as opposed to focusing solely on Kobe. Interesting how the smaller teams of the league are perceiving Bynum now. And I also wonder if Phil is just as wacked out as I think he is if he puts Kwami back in the starting 5.
I hear what you're saying. It will take a lot of BS for Kwame to start over Bynum... and a it will be a losing streak. If he (Jackson) does start Kwame, I hope he knows something we don't and he proves us wrong.

What the???

I can't stand D'Antoni. He throws fits and tantrums on the sideline like a little kid everytime a call doesn't go his way. He seems to have a sense of entitlement, like because his team can score a lot of points they should automatically win the title (that's just my opinion).

I have never really been a supporter of the Suns, despite popular opinion. They are too one-dimensional, Steve Nash handles the ball too much, and they shoot too many jumpers. When you have a guy as dominant as Amare Stoudemire and he basically goes silent for most of the game like he did today, there's something wrong with your approach. Nothing against Steve Nash, and as much as I can't stand Raja Bell, he's a pretty good all-around player. Other than that, the Suns have problems. I thought they had a shot at the championship this season, but after seeing them today, they have a lot of work to do if they want to beat the Spurs or Mavs in the playoffs.

I can't stand D'Antoni. He throws fits and tantrums on the sideline like a little kid everytime a call doesn't go his way. He seems to have a sense of entitlement, like because his team can score a lot of points they should automatically win the title (that's just my opinion).

I have never really been a supporter of the Suns, despite popular opinion. They are too one-dimensional, Steve Nash handles the ball too much, and they shoot too many jumpers. When you have a guy as dominant as Amare Stoudemire and he basically goes silent for most of the game like he did today, there's something wrong with your approach. Nothing against Steve Nash, and as much as I can't stand Raja Bell, he's a pretty good all-around player. Other than that, the Suns have problems. I thought they had a shot at the championship this season, but after seeing them today, they have a lot of work to do if they want to beat the Spurs or Mavs in the playoffs.
Bynum has had Amare's number for the 2 games they played this season. Check out the recap. http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7603532

The Suns have shown problems over the last few years in the playoffs. They can't stop contenders... I do agree with another poster..., I doubt they will ever win. What good is it to score if other team scores back?

Bynum has had Amare's number for the 2 games they played this season. Check out the recap. http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7603532

The Suns have shown problems over the last few years in the playoffs. They can't stop contenders... I do agree with another poster..., I doubt they will ever win. What good is it to score if other team scores back?
Bynum may have had good games against Stoudemire, but it's clear who the superior player is.

And the game today was nothing but the Suns not knowing how to pound the ball down low to the one player who can punish another team where it hurts most. Give the ball to Amare and get Bynum - an undisciplined defender - in foul trouble, make him a non-factor, let Odom be number two (6-18 in the game, right) and key in on Kobe.

But the Suns are too much of a guard-centric, shoot happy offense that wants to prove to the world that they can win a championship without the conventional defensive proficiency that champions historically have and without the ability to score in the paint when the other team's defense tightens up.

For now, Amare gets the nod because of his track record but defensively, he is not that much better than Bynum. And his rebounding, his shot blocking capability, and his ability to alter shots is inferior to Andrew's even in Andrew's "undisciplined" defense.

I don't know that the Lakers won't figure out a way to play good team defense on that style. But the Suns will always falter because they can't stop a power house, not that the Lakers are that kind of team. Not yet anyways.

The Suns might still have the Lakers number until they can beat the Suns in a series... but I'm liking the progress and they are headed towards the right direction. They're much improved, and players are improving by the game. Jackson is earning his paycheck this year.

For some reason the Lakers always give the Suns troubles. I'm not surprised the Lakers won the game. I am a little surprised at how well the Lakers have started off this year. Bynum looks good. For a team of scrubs they are doing pretty well. :)

For now, Amare gets the nod because of his track record but defensively, he is not that much better than Bynum. And his rebounding, his shot blocking capability, and his ability to alter shots is inferior to Andrew's even in Andrew's "undisciplined" defense.
Wow.

Andrew Bynum has a few good games, the Lakers start 8 games above .500, and now Amare Stoudemire only gets the nod because of his track record? Just wow.

I live in Southern Cali, and all the radio talk show hosts have been signing Bynum's (and Kupchak's :eek:) praises all day long, basically because of one game. Mychal Thompson even decided that Bynum is a top five center in the NBA (Thompson is out of touch with reality, clearly, but not many people were disagreeing with him after that assertion).

Amare is more polished offensively, more athletic, has more experience at only 25 years old, and has been referred to since his rookie campaign as a "man-child". This despite coming straight out of high school. He is a better man defender, blocks shots just as well as Bynum, and plays far more aggressively on both ends of the floor. Maybe Bynum is a better rebounder. I think that if Amare played on a more conventional team, he would put up better numbers offensively than any other big man in the NBA.

Bynum is in his third year out of high school, finally shows the promise that the Lakers hoped he would in his third year, and now he's a top five center in the NBA? 28 and 12 is great, especially for a guy that has been ragged on as much as he has been, but it's still just one game against a team that hasn't shown the ability to stop any big men ever.

You can discredit what Bynum did but the fact is, the Suns have been contenders for a long time, have owned the Lakers over the years, and Stoudemire has been a huge reason for it. It was a much-hyped game on Christmas, on national TV, and both teams played to win. 11/13 FG, 6/8 FT, 12 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocks vs. one of the premiere big men in the league after Andrew owned him earlier this year? That is impressive.

And if Stoudemire's track record is not good enough to get a nod over Bynum at this point of their careers, I don't know what is.

But I hear what you're saying. I'd like to see it in a series but I like what I've seen so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL - Bynum surprised many with the kind of start he has had, but I dont think he is there yet to be compared with all those greats and to be rated top 5 center etc. I agree that he has definitely dominated a few games against some elite big men like J oneal, amare, beidrins, kaman etc and played kinda even with yao ,mutombo etc. He was a non factor in the spurs game due to the refs but playing against the spurs again would be a good test for him, playing even the mavs would be good.

I would wait for atleast the all star break to make an assesment about him. But one thing I gotta give the kid, the lakers are not looking for him as the first option, he seems to be getting his points off of the lobs and easy dunks which is way after the guards break down the defense or of a pick and roll. I have to see a few one on one moves where he can score with confidence and consistency, see a few double teams and his reaction before I can say he is a legit top 5 center even as of now.

I'm with you. I don't know that he has a mastered go to move down low yet. We've seen flashes of that jump hook but it's not automatic yet. I think it comes with him knowing that the ball will come to him at a certain time for that shot. I think his positioning in the post is not as strong as it needs to be yet. He is exceeding most expectations this year and that's a plus for him and the Lakers. I'd like to believe he hasn't arrived yet, and that we're just seeing flashes. I do like the way he goes after rebounds, and he does block a good number of shots, altering even more.

Last edited:
Mychal Thompson even decided that Bynum is a top five center in the NBA (Thompson is out of touch with reality, clearly, but not many people were disagreeing with him after that assertion).
Thompson has always been a big brother type, he was to Vlade back in the day. I think he's speaking from his heart more than his head in regards to the Lakers, but then again, he may not be that far off. How many centers are better than Bynum if he keeps putting up 12/10 & 2? Plus .600 FG. No more than 10, if that many. Or maybe I'm giddy like Myc.

Last edited:
Here's a quote from USA Today about Bynum...

"The 20-year-old Bynum has developed into an integral piece as well. He is averaging 17.9 points, 11.0 rebounds and 2.6 blocks over the last seven games while shooting 73.6 percent from the field."

I'm probably like you and Mychal Thompson... he's probably not that far off. That is tearing it up! And he has been topping his career high over that span of time.

"The 20-year-old Bynum has developed into an integral piece as well. He is averaging 17.9 points, 11.0 rebounds and 2.6 blocks over the last seven games while shooting 73.6 percent from the field."

I'm probably like you and Mychal Thompson... he's probably not that far off. That is tearing it up! And he has been topping his career high over that span of time.
I think Phil is sending strong messages to Bynum that he needs to "stay humble" and keep this up or he'll go back to Kwame. He likes to pit players against each other, esp at the same position. There are no sure things in Phil's world. Andrew had better keep it up, because as it is, Kwame is less inept while flanked by Kobe than he would be off the bench. Otoh, Bynum off the bench could make some teams play their starting C longer than they'd like to. As long as Bynum understands what up, there could be a distinct advantage to him coming off the bench.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The judgments on Bynum before this year were very bleak yet the kid just turned 20. It shows how unreliable one's predictions can be made off the early years. As a matter of fact, Martin is similar in that I believe most people thoug

It also tells you how difficult the draft is. Certainly early choices tend to be better than later picks but the variation at any given draft position is huge.

I really like Bynum and I hope he learns a few low post moves. As it is, he is relying an awful lot on pure athleticism. This may be why Jackson is playing with him.

Well Brad Miller has averaged 17.5ppg 9.3rpg 3.1apg and a steal a game over the last 8 games, plus 55%fg 33%3pt 76%ft but I am not about to say he is even top 8 in the league..

I agree that Bynum at this point gets the nod over Miller, but give him a year or two before we say he is in the top 5.

Bynum has monster potential though. Lets see what he has done after the year is over.

Well Brad Miller has averaged 17.5ppg 9.3rpg 3.1apg and a steal a game over the last 8 games, plus 55%fg 33%3pt 76%ft but I am not about to say he is even top 8 in the league..

I agree that Bynum at this point gets the nod over Miller, but give him a year or two before we say he is in the top 5.

Bynum has monster potential though. Lets see what he has done after the year is over.
I don't agree. Miller is clearly having the better year. Lakers fans ought to wait until Bynum as played a solid half of the season before they open the better then Amare junk.

I think Phil is sending strong messages to Bynum that he needs to "stay humble" and keep this up or he'll go back to Kwame. He likes to pit players against each other, esp at the same position. There are no sure things in Phil's world. Andrew had better keep it up, because as it is, Kwame is less inept while flanked by Kobe than he would be off the bench. Otoh, Bynum off the bench could make some teams play their starting C longer than they'd like to. As long as Bynum understands what up, there could be a distinct advantage to him coming off the bench.
The Lakers are winning and Andrew is gaining valuable experience doing so. I don't think they should change anything once Kwame is healthy unless Kwame beats Bynum.