Kings Select in the 2008 NBA DRAFT??

See I'd rather get a PF like DeAndre Jordan or Arthur depending on where are pick is(Beasley if it's high and Rose is gone) and grab a PG like DJ Augustin from Texas than a PG like Bayless or Lawson+Hendrix.

Miller you would pass on Bayless wow! why no love for him?

Have you seen any games? hes pretty good.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WHYd40OFTXI

And Richard Hendrix is a small player 6'7" ok he is a good rebounder but.....6'7"?? I mean cmon. lets just say we fall to pick 16, Im taking a chance on Hardin. we need size, either a point or a pf.

Bayless and Martin would be a crazy backcourt.

Last edited:
I personally think Justin is better, more athletic than hibbert, we got Kevin who atleast to me is a great #2 option. we just need our star. every good team has a star player, we had weber, richmond....we need a 1st option type player. and of course a guard. I think that if beno keeps it up we should resign him also.

Miller you would pass on Bayless wow! why no love for him?

Have you seen any games? hes pretty good.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WHYd40OFTXI

And Richard Hendrix is a small player 6'7" ok he is a good rebounder but.....6'7"?? I mean cmon. lets just say we fall to pick 16, Im taking a chance on Hardin. we need size, either a point or a pf.

Bayless and Martin would be a crazy backcourt.

Nah I really like Bayless. I'm just not sure if all the athletic bigs would be gone by the time our next pick is up assuming we even get one. And our D is a huge problem. Theus's D has looked good to me but we still need a shotblocker and rebounder, than our D would be great. I saw Bayless on ESPN actually and he had like a 19/9/9 game(not sure if it was the same game, I don't remember). So he has impressed me. More than Collison(well to be fair to him he hasnt played yet) or Lawson. I think a PG like Augustin who we might have a shot at later in the draft is better than a big like Hendrix. So it's just trying to choose the best combination of players assuming we can even get a PG/PF combo, which is pretty much our glaring needs.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
My top ten..

OK, now that I have a few games under my belt, I will give you my top ten players that have impressed me the most up to this time. By no means am I saying that these are the top ten players in the draft. They simply are the ten best players that I have personaly seen at least 2 games or more. They are listed in my order of preference.

1. Beasley: PF. Kansas ST. Anyone who doesn't think he can play PF, simply hasn't seen him play. The game comes easy to him. Maybe too easy. Time will tell.

2. Love: PF. UCLA. Im impressed with his size and his toughness. He really knows how to play the game. Great passer.

3. Bayless: PG-SG. Arizona. Very impressed with his quickness and size. Has good pt instincts but needs to utililize them more. I think he will be a great combo guard, and with work a very good pt guard.

4. Rose: PG. Memphis. Great size for a pt guard and outstanding quickness. A pure Pt guard with all the instincts. Needs to work on his outside shot a little more. My only disapointment is is sometimes lack of aggression. Could just be a learning process.

5. Griffin: PF. Oklahoma. I hadn't heard much about him, so I was surprised how good he was. Outside shot needs a little work, but who cares. The guy is a beast.

6. Anderson: PF-SF. Cal. He doesn't get the publicity that Hardin gets, but puts up similar numbers in rebounding and is a much more polished offensive player. When I say similar I mean in the game that Hardin had 16 boards, Anderson had 12. I think at 6'10" he's more of a PF. It cracks me up the ESPN lists him as SG and when you click on his name it gives the stats of Ryan Anderson from Nebraska.

7. R. Lopez: C-PF. Stanford. Finally getting his chance with his brother suspended and taking advantage of it. I wasn't his biggest fan, expecially when last year, neither he nor his brother could stop some smuck named Hawes. Got to give him his due. He's scoring and rebounding and blocking shots. He's better than I thought.

8. Hardin: PF-C. Cal. Pure PF in my mind. Great defensive player and outstanding rebounder. I'm disapointed in his offense. I expected more from him this year. In his defense, he doesn't get that many shots sharing time on the floor with Anderson.

9. OJ Mayo: SG. USC. In my humble opinion he's a shooting guard. If he has pt guard skills he left them in highschool. Will he be a star in the NBA? I think so. He's very skilled offensively. The problem I have with him is that he doesn't make those around him better. He actually reminds me a lot of Stevie Franchise. I hope not. He's young and has a lot of time to develop.

10. Budinger: SF-SG. USC. A player who does make everybody around him better. A very good all around player who goes about his business and gets the job done. Good shooter and passer. A lot more athletic than I thought, and a lot quicker than I thought.

Some second round people to watch.

1. Caracter: PF. Louisville. Huge body at 6'9" and 260 pounds. He takes up space under the basket, and surprisingly enough he's a lot quicker than one would think. My one worry is his weight and keeping it under control. The word is he loves to eat. Just hear say though.

2. Nelson: PG. Duke. He sort of fell off the radar screen with injurys the last few years. One has to remember though that he was on of the most sought after PG's coming out of highschool. Worth watching his progress this year to see if he can recapture what he had.

Last edited:
See I'd rather get a PF like DeAndre Jordan or Arthur depending on where are pick is(Beasley if it's high and Rose is gone) and grab a PG like DJ Augustin from Texas than a PG like Bayless or Lawson+Hendrix.
Jordan isn't a PF. I'd prefer Arthur, but I'm just saying Hendrix is a good value pick in the late first. Not trying to say he needs to be our franchise PF or anything.

I'm really not big on Beasley at the 4, his defense is pretty bad and it's not likely to get much better.

I like Augustin. I see him as a 15 and 7 solid PG.

Jordan isn't a PF. I'd prefer Arthur, but I'm just saying Hendrix is a good value pick in the late first. Not trying to say he needs to be our franchise PF or anything.

I'm really not big on Beasley at the 4, his defense is pretty bad and it's not likely to get much better.

I like Augustin. I see him as a 15 and 7 solid PG.

I don't see why Jordan can't play PF. He has the quickness and athleticism to do it. He has the size. We already have a skilled frontcourt player like Hawes. I think he has potential to be a Jermaine O'neal or Rasheed Wallace sort of player. I think that's kind of like saying you couldn't pair up Sheed and Vlade together. I don't see why you can't do that man.

Also with Beasley they guy can rebound so well, I don't see why he can't be a 4. Sure he needs to get a littler stronger but he's a legit 6'9'' with real long arms. I don't see why he can't improve his D.

What do you think of Patrick Patterson?

I like Arthur too, not sure though. He doesn't seem to rebound as well as I'd like him too.

Do you still like Collison and Ty Lawson?

I don't see why Jordan can't play PF. He has the quickness and athleticism to do it. He has the size. We already have a skilled frontcourt player like Hawes. I think he has potential to be a Jermaine O'neal or Rasheed Wallace sort of player. I think that's kind of like saying you couldn't pair up Sheed and Vlade together. I don't see why you can't do that man.

Also with Beasley they guy can rebound so well, I don't see why he can't be a 4. Sure he needs to get a littler stronger but he's a legit 6'9'' with real long arms. I don't see why he can't improve his D.

What do you think of Patrick Patterson?

I like Arthur too, not sure though. He doesn't seem to rebound as well as I'd like him too.

Do you still like Collison and Ty Lawson?
Jordan simply doesn't have ball skills to be a O'Neal or Wallace type player. He has no offensive game outside 8 ft. He has the potential to develop a good low post game and he has the explosiveness to score like a Dwight Howard, but not at the 4 IMO.

He paid no attention to his D in HS and he still doesn't, you can chalk it up to youth, but I just don't see him ever being a dedicated defender. From the looks and from what I've read, I don't think he's got great length for a PF; So I don't expect him to be much of a shot blocker on the next level. No matter what position he plays he should be a pretty good scorer, 20-25 ppg is his potential and about 8-10 rpg at the PF position. A better scoring Antawn Jamison is what I'm expecting from him, not a bad player at all, just not really what we're looking for defensively.

Yea, I'm worried about his rebounding as well. The upside is at least he has the tools to be a good rebounder. It doesn't seem like there is going to be the perfect solution at the 4 for us. At least with Arthur though, you get a much better all around package and the potential to fill all those needs; however you're getting bigger bust potential too. Getting Hawes really put us in a tight spot to find a scoring, rebounding, interior defending PF. Maybe we can shoot for Greg Monroe next year ;)

I haven't seen enough of Patterson to comment.

Lawson could be a solid PG, but I'd prefer Augstin's style of play more. I really like Collison, he'd be the perfect PG for us. IMO he can run a half court and an up tempo offense, great instincts, quickness, he can shoot the lights out, and he's got all the defensive tools besides size (quick hands, great instincts, length, and very good lateral quickness).

Yeah I like Collison as well, but he hasn't been able to go so far this year so I'm waiting to see what he shows us. He has all the skills though.

I dunno I really like Lawson and I think he could be a lot better than he is but he just doesn't do it. He has the quickness, ball handling ability, and court vision to be a lot better than he is. But his stats don't blow you out of the water and when I watch him play he doesn't seem like the player I think he could be so I dunno about him. Augustin has really outplayed him this year and has some of the stuff Ty doesn't, like a nice J. But I'm sort of worried he's a bit too small to be good in the NBA. I want to see what Collison can do I guess.

To be honest I think I like Bayless more than any of them. The guy reminds me of Terry Porter a bit. What do you think of Bayless?

I guess I agree with you about Jordan. I didn't know how bad his FT shooting was. It's too bad though.

Agree to disagree about Beasley.

Agree 100% about Arthur.

What do you think of Devon Hardin??? I like him a lot. He's a monster rebounder and shotblocker. If he can add to his offensive game I can see him being a JO or a Sheed type of guy who rebounds more. The guy has the same athleticism/height like Dwight Howard, well maybe not as much athleticism but that's who he reminds me of. I could see him being like a 13/10/3 block guy IMO.

I really like Patrick Patterson. Just the way I saw him play. I think he's going to be a real good pro. Maybe like Antonio McDyess in his prime or something. He has a nice offensive game, he's a good post scorer and has a good J. Good rebounder. His shotblocking is inconsistent but he's got real long arms and a lot of strength so I don't see why he can't become a better one. In all his games he's either had 2 blocks or 0 which is kinda odd. But he definitely has potential to be a good shotblocker.

Augstin's size is a problem and sometimes it makes me want to lean towards Lawson since he's somewhat stronger and more atlhetic than him. In the end though I have to give the edge to Augustin. He's a much better decision maker, better passer, and a very good shooter. Augustin just has so much better PG skills than Lawson despite Lawson being more athletic. I think Augustin can put up 13-16 ppg 7-8 apg with good shooting %'s.

Bayless is showing more promise as a PG, but I'm still not convinced he's what we need there. If by the end of the year he's showing better PG instincts and faciliator abilities then I'd be for getting him if we don't have a top 5 pick. We need someone who can lead an offense and facilitate, that doesn't necessarily mean a bunch of assists, but it does mean getting everyone on the same page and involved. I'm not sure if Bayless can do that yet.

Trying to make Hardin a PF will definitely be a project, he has a ways to go offensively and he's definitely got the ability to do it, it just depends on how much he wants it. He will be a project though.

I've just read a little on Patterson. Sounds like a very good rebounder and defender. His size might be a problem, if he's 6-8, 6-9 he's going to need to add more strength; 220 won't do at that height. I'm sure he has the ability to add a good offensive game. Is he even planning on coming out this year though?

What do you think of Devon Hardin??? I like him a lot. He's a monster rebounder and shotblocker. If he can add to his offensive game I can see him being a JO or a Sheed type of guy who rebounds more. The guy has the same athleticism/height like Dwight Howard, well maybe not as much athleticism but that's who he reminds me of. I could see him being like a 13/10/3 block guy IMO.
I'm definitely on the DeVon Bandwagon.

Give me Rose, Hardin, and Hendrix and I'd say perfection, at least as of this point.

Bibby and Artest get the two extra picks and they remove bad contracts, but they don't return immediate young talent. You pull one hell of a draft and get those three and end up with a young talented core.

Udrich/Rose
Martin/Douby
Salmons/Garcia
Hardin/Hendrix
Hawes/Williams

Too good to be true...Petrie could never pull that off.

Give me Rose, Hardin, and Hendrix and I'd say perfection, at least as of this point.

Bibby and Artest get the two extra picks and they remove bad contracts, but they don't return immediate young talent. You pull one hell of a draft and get those three and end up with a young talented core.

Udrich/Rose
Martin/Douby
Salmons/Garcia
Hardin/Hendrix
Hawes/Williams

To even get Rose would be an awesome draft and too good to be true.

Watching Collison vs Augustin on FSN right now and also very impressed by Bayless earlier today, he lead his team to an upset over Tx A&M and had a 26/6ast game.

Udrich/Rose
Martin/Douby
Salmons/Garcia
Hardin/Hendrix
Hawes/Williams

Yea I would take that team for sure.

btw Just watched Augustin pretty much singlehandidly beat UCLA. The guy is amazing. I would take him on this team in an instant for our PG of the future. He is a play maker. Not sure of a great comparison, maybe a less athletic Kevin Johnson+a 3 pointer? I dunno. Honestly never saw much of KJ. But the guy is a great passer and a great scorer. He's very quick, he has a great J, he's a great ball handler, he's a clutch player, he's a great decision maker and manages to make something out of nothing, he's a good passer, he's a good defender(I'm a little worried about his size though), he's a great finisher, I just LOVE the way he plays. He is a leader. We could use a leader like that. I mean he carried them to the win, and he is an emotional leader for them. He really outplayed Collison, well I'm not going to fault Collison for that because he's coming off of the injury but still. Augustin has all the skills that make a great PG. I LOVE the way he plays basketball.

Arthur didn't have a great game today but I didn't watch him play so I dunno. Atleast he got 8 boards.

Hardin is really good. I dunno I almost think I'd be happy with a Augustin/Hardin draft and I don't think either of them get picked top 10.

if we keep winning we will be lucky to draft Devon Hardin, The Franchise needs to make their mind up if they want to be a 8th seed this year and lose artest for nothing, or make some trade deadline deals and actually announce its time rebuild. Thats what I want, the kings to find a direction for the future. I personally dont want to go into playoffs and have an early exit and artest opts out.....and we get the 16th pick.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't think were going to make the play-offs whether we trade Artest or not. If we don't trade Artest, then we better have some plan to keep him. To lose him for nothing would be a disator. As far as Hardin is concerned, I don't think he's going to be a lottery pick.. There's no desputing his defense and rebounding, but I think its his offense thats going to keep him out of the lottery. In which case, he would be available to us. The truth is, anyone who follows the draft and college basketball knows that some that are projected in the lottery now, and some that aren't, will change places as the season goes on.

Here's a question for you. How much better is Hardin right now than J. Williams is right now? I have my own opinion, but I want to hear yours..

Last edited:
Well I like both very much.

the current difference is ball handling and fouls (both their first 2 years).

Justin had 129 tos and 184 pfs

Devon had 47 tos and 161 pfs

Devons body looks to be able to handle more weight hes taller 6'11 or 6'10 justin being closer 6'9. I dont know wing span difference but I assume devon wins that also.

I didnt watch Justin in college so....its hard to say. I wouldnt mind having both. scouts seem to think Devon has a high ceiling.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
OH and I forgot

Hardin plays in the Pac-10. so really hardin faces alot better talent. which Williams didnt.
You pretty much said what I would have said. I think the biggest difference is the level of play. I also think that having to share the front court with Ryan is making his offense appear worse than it is. He simply doesn't get enough touches. I must also admit that I'm impressed with Robin Lopez this year. He's better than I thought he would be.

USC vs. Memphis on ESPN right now, a clash of two potential Kings lotto picks, Rose and Mayo.

I'm most impressed with Joey Dorsey right now. Wouldn't mind taking a flier on him with a 2nd rounder in June

USC vs. Memphis on ESPN right now, a clash of two potential Kings lotto picks, Rose and Mayo.

I'm most impressed with Joey Dorsey right now. Wouldn't mind taking a flier on him with a 2nd rounder in June
Ditto on Dorsey, he's like a Justin Williams that is a little bit thicker.

As for my boy Rose, he has been a little underwhelming for most of this game, but seems to be turning it on in the 2nd half. He seemed to be very passive in the first half and I was wondering why he didn't drive the hoop more. I understand that Mayo was playing some decent D, but still, he should have been more agressive.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Ditto on Dorsey, he's like a Justin Williams that is a little bit thicker.

As for my boy Rose, he has been a little underwhelming for most of this game, but seems to be turning it on in the 2nd half. He seemed to be very passive in the first half and I was wondering why he didn't drive the hoop more. I understand that Mayo was playing some decent D, but still, he should have been more agressive.
Mayo flat out shut him down.

I have this feeling we will make the playoffs as 8th seed, and not be in the lottery at all. we are playing alot better and if we start winning some away games...look out. I also think bibby will be traded to miami when he is healthy. thats why I have been focusing on Hardin.

Taj Gibson had a equal game to Joey Dorsey with a couple more blocks.

what about Davon Jefferson he looks pretty good for a freshman.

I have this feeling we will make the playoffs as 8th seed, and not be in the lottery at all. we are playing alot better and if we start winning some away games...look out. I also think bibby will be traded to miami when he is healthy. thats why I have been focusing on Hardin.

Taj Gibson had a equal game to Joey Dorsey with a couple more blocks.

what about Davon Jefferson he looks pretty good for a freshman.

Our #1 scorer just got injured and Bibby won't be back for like 2 more months dude. We're gonna be a lottery team. Just nobody knows where.

cmon man......I am a big Kmart fan, but I think Salmons with artest, garcia and even brad will step up. the kings are on fire. I want to see Hawes vs Kaman that will be a good test for spencer. I am still waiting for douby to get that three going also. we will need more mins from him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'll tell you, for the last three or four games the most clutch player has been Salmons. He's just solid. Every time we need a basket late in the game when it seems things are sliping away, he seems to be the one that comes thru to stop the bleeding. This team is, or at least can be better than I thought.