US Open

Hey, where are all the tennis buffs out there...

Had hopes for Isner against Federer but he obviously has a little more work to do. No match for the very composed and highly gifted/motivated Roger Dodger...

Always sorry to see Maria go down. She is the darling of the tennis world who just can't seem to hold up in the big matches. New York will miss her the second week.

Roddick was ready but Berdych just couldn't manage the heat, literally. Was a little put off the way Carillo and McEnroe were accusing Berdych of being a wuss and not putting it on the line. ****, the guy looks like he is ready to pass out for godssake. What do we need another death to heat stroke and dehydration. It's only tennis kids. Berdych has got a promising future. He'll be back.

Not thinking the Williams sisters will each hold serve in the 16s. Serena plays Justine and i think Venus has Jankovic. Would be amazed if they both get through their matches. As for that i haven't seen the Williams play a match against each other that i could really feel good about. But i do have a growing regard for the both of em...

May regret this but Blake doesn't have enough game to get into the finals - Roddick could if he could finally get past Federer. Law of averages???

Sidebars; Alright, already w/ the gosh dang Amex credit card commercial where Johnny McEnroe makes amends w/ the line judge at his residence from a match eons ago. Give it a rest will ya. They run that commercial 4 times an hour for days. Hello?

And my dear friend, Rafa. Stop pickin your damned arse will ya. Bad habit and you don't get any kind of an edge from it, no matter what you think. If you all want a hysterical moment, go to YouTube and look up Djokovic's impression of Nadal, Roddick and Sharapova. Priceless....

Keep in touch, fans. It's the US Open. Big dream that one day i will be there for first week of night games. Big dream....

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I really Isner! The way he closed out the first set was awesome. If he can channel that kind of focus and energy from one set to the next, he's going to be a tough competitor.

I'm a little disappointed that Venus and Serena don't have a chance to make it an all-Williams finals. I'll be glued to my set to watch their match.

James Blake drives me nuts. I love his game but he seems to just go on brain vacations at times. I'm watching his 5th set match against Haas right now. I hope he can pull it out but if he doesn't, he should really take a lot of time and study that 4th set. You don't drop a 4th by a score of 0-6 after going 6-4, 4-6, 6-3. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and the crowd is really putting their all into helping Blake hold his serve to get a 5-4 lead. (Which he just did as I was typing that...)

This is gonna be another good week of US Open tennis.

:)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And now a 5th set tie-break. This is a GOOD match!!! And it could easily end up going into the double-digits for a two-point win.

I'll be surprised if both Williams sisters get through as well...but it should be some good tennis as they both try nonetheless.

Man, I gotta remember to flip through ALL of my sports favorites channels. I've been flipping through a variety of sports today...seemingly everything BUT tennis....goodness gracious! :rolleyes:

Well that scrappy little Justine is just such a pistol ain't she? I mean regardless of how you feel about her as a person, the girl can play. She just outgunned Serena and you just don't see that too often.

But my greatest joy and delight was having my heart elevated big big big time w/ the long awaited appearance of the never forgotten Monica Seles. What a dear ambassador for the gamem she was for those of us that go back a few years. Could never forget the energy and quality she brought to women's tennis back in those days. Just such a dear person and it just warmed my heart to see her smiling next to ex-major Dinkins and expressing her love for the game. Would love to see Monica come back on any level. She could only be good for women's tennis. At whatever level she chose to involve herself.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've always liked Justine Henin's play and I feel a bit sorry for her. Her life hasn't been an easy one. I am truly enjoying this year's Open. Some of the best tennis I've seen in a long time and we're not even to the semi's yet. Could be a banner year all the way around.

I agree about Seles.

Just watched the postgame w/ Serena. She was really in a pissy mood. All she has to do is admit she was beaten by a player who played her *** off but i sense there is not much love between the two. Justine has made some errors in judgment in the recent past regarding her demeanor or court. Doesn't endear her to many of the players i'm sure. It's unfortunate. She has a hell of a game.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've always had the feeling Justine just hasn't received the acceptance or respect from some players that she deserves. I don't remember the details but weren't there a lot of problems with her mother once upon a time?

Family issues, yes. Estrangements etc. Don't know all the details. But i was watching that fateful day at the Australian i believe it was, or was it Wimbledon, when Justine walked off the court in a final that she was getting thrashed in by Amelie Mauresmo, citing stomach problems. The whole thing seemed very odd and strange to all observers and did very little to endear Justine to the community.

I wonder also about her personality in general and whether she is very skilled socially speaking, w/ the tennis community. The girl seems like all busniess. Granted she has had her share of problems with her failed marriage and strained family relations but i understand she is having some healing going on w/ family right now at a time that she needs it the most.

What i am most sure of i have said several times, the girl is a helluva player. For her size it just blows my mind. And that backhand is a thing of utter beauty...

Roddick vs Federer
Take 10? Round 10? Perfect 10? Whatever 10?

Is there any chance somebody can dismantle this juggernaut? I mean Roger is beatable but on a Slam at night in New York? With Jimmy Conners in the stands is it possible that he can finally bring some of his old magic to his protege in this great arena on a half moon. Something's gotta give w/ the Swiss sensation but i wonder if it could possibly happen under these circumstances. Would love to see Andy get one but would it have to be a Herculean effort? Curious minds need to know...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If Roddick is ever going to pull off the upset, I think it might come this time around. Federer showed a chink in his armor against Isner. If Roddick can keep his focus and manage to control his intensity, I think he just might pull off the "upset of the century."

:)

Second Set:
Goodness...the moment does not disappoint. All the stars are out tonight. Connors, Vilas, Nastase and the incomparable, ageless wonder, Boris Becker himself. (just to name a few) All in full regalia. Masterful commentating and analyis by the another all time great, Andre Agassi. It just don't get much better. What a night in New York. God, one day i'll be there. I swear. Go Andy!@!!

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wow. The score doesn't tell how absolutely riveting the Roddick-Federer match was. Federer is a machine; I don't think I even saw him sweat.

Poor Roddick played almost faultless tennis - but the few errors he made cost him dearly because Federer simply didn't make any.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I am more impressed than ever with Justine Henin. Congratulations to her for beating BOTH the Williams sisters on her way to the championship.

And tomorrow? If Federer does get beat, I'll be very, very surprised.

piksi

Hall of Famer
I am more impressed than ever with Justine Henin. Congratulations to her for beating BOTH the Williams sisters on her way to the championship.

And tomorrow? If Federer does get beat, I'll be very, very surprised.
and I will be very happy.

Go Nole !!!

I think Djokovic is the best human player right now.I really have doubts that Fedderer is human.:D
Jokes aside,great game by both players and I think we'll see them pretty often in the Grand Slam finals.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think Federer's biggest strength is his ability to remain cool, calm and collected at the end of sets when emotions are highest. He doesn't even blink when he's facing multiple-break points. He just keeps grinding away, playing flawless tennis and waiting for his opponent to make the smallest mistake.

Congrats to Federer and Henin for a great U.S. Open!!!