Justin Williams

JUSTIN WILLIAMS AGREES TO QUALIFYING OFFER WITH KINGS
SACRAMENTO, CA, Tuesday, August 7, 2007 --- The Sacramento Kings announced that center Justin Williams has agreed to the team’s qualifying offer, retroactive to July 3, 2007.
Williams averaged 5.0 ppg (.614FG%, .365 FT%), 4.4 rpg, and 0.6 bpg in 26 contests (started one) with the Kings in 2006-07. At 6-10 and 230 pounds, Williams also played for the Dakota Wizards of the NBA Development League prior to his call up with Sacramento, where he averaged 12.1 points (.556 FG%, .581 FT%), 12.3 rebounds and 3.1 blocks through 12 games.
The former University of Wyoming product played five games for Kings in the recently completed NBA Summer League as well, averaging 11.8 ppg (.511 FG%, .500 FT%), 10.6 rpg, and 1.8 bpg.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I was hoping that would finally become official, although god knows that as of right now the poor guy is SIXTH on our big man depth chart and all set up to be getting everybody doughnuts all season.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I was hoping that would finally become official, although god knows that as of right now the poor guy is SIXTH on our big man depth chart and all set up to be getting everybody doughnuts all season.

Don't remind me. Maybe just Maybe one of KT, or SAR will be gone or will be behind Williams by some odd chance.

Entity

Hall of Famer
We might not be done yet, because it would be a shame to have such a talent relegated to the bench.
The question is can we afford to relegate SAR or KT to the bench? if we do then we have ZERO chance of a trade (which may be the case anyway). So can we afford it.

We have a slight chance with KT opting out. If we NEVER play him ALL year at the end of the season he might let pride take over and go somewhere he is wanted. That is a way to got with KT if nothing else comes up.

I am hoping that we can get rid of at least ONE of the players in front of him show he can so the league what he can do.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Williams should be before KT and SAR...

..They arnt going to have trade value until they're expiring contracts anyways

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Williams should be before KT and SAR...

..They arnt going to have trade value until they're expiring contracts anyways
Trade value is relative if you are just trying to open up some room. Regardless Justin needs to be before these guys in the lineup. I really liked the combo of Justin and Spencer in the SL and will be severely disappointed if they are nothing more than hood ornaments next season. :mad:

That's great news. I really like this kid, sure plays with heart and a lot of energy, if anyone sits him instead and plays the 1/2 hearted going through the motions of the vet stiffs on the team it will truely be sad. I hope that effort is rewarded with playing time. :eek:

L

Lafayette

They need to just....

They need to man-up and buy out KT contract and possibly trade SAR regardless of the value they get back. SAR is a good player but just isn't what we expect, to late in his career.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
They need to man-up and buy out KT contract and possibly trade SAR regardless of the value they get back. SAR is a good player but just isn't what we expect, to late in his career.
I love how quickly some people want to spend the Maloof's money.

Man up and buy out his contract? What does "man up" have to do with it?

:rolleyes:

The question is can we afford to relegate SAR or KT to the bench?
yes. here's why. SAR and KT make way too much money, plain and simple. so we have two options. they either play, or they don't. if they play, they stink up the place, which causes them to have almost no trade value anyway. they don't play, we give Justin time to develop, while KT and SAR's trade values drop.

either way, their value drops and they are essentially useless. but if they don't get played, then JWill2 and SHawes get PT

Glad we did somethin right this offseason and keep this beast, too bad he ain't gonna play too much, I hope KT & Sar break their legs or fracture a body part so they can sit out and let the duo of Hawes/Justin ball up.

Out

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Glad we did somethin right this offseason and keep this beast, too bad he ain't gonna play too much, I hope KT & Sar break their legs or fracture a body part so they can sit out and let the duo of Hawes/Justin ball up.

Out
Ouch. Asking for someone to injure themselves is where I draw the line. If JW is good enough, he'll earn his PT. Seniority isn't based on paycheck on a struggling team.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The question is can we afford to relegate SAR or KT to the bench? if we do then we have ZERO chance of a trade (which may be the case anyway). So can we afford it.

We have a slight chance with KT opting out. If we NEVER play him ALL year at the end of the season he might let pride take over and go somewhere he is wanted. That is a way to got with KT if nothing else comes up.
Very good point. It just gives added pressure on Theus to play SAR and KT more and Williams less. If we don't trade these guys before the season begins, we could see the exact same scenario as last year in which the only time we got to see Williams was at the tail end of the season when playoff illusions were gone.

I also want to see Williams and Hawes get plenty of playing time, including time together. It's a bit much to ask at this point, but if they both continue to develop, they could be 'the horses' on this team for many years. I think their games can compliment each other. However, Justin is going to have to develop a decent free throw or he will present major limitations to our team at crunch time.

I absolutely don't accept the notion that you have to play guys with bigger contracts or with more experience, or because they think they 'should be the starter.' I think our new coach has enough cockiness to play those who give the best effort, and to sit those who don't. But time will tell.

now we get to see what the new Yogi Stewart can hopefully produce given more playing time this season.
Have you seen Yogi Stewart's first year numbers?

21 mpg, 6.6 rpb, 2.41 :eek: bpg

If we got that from Justin this year, I'd be ecstatic.

Side note - why did Michael Stewart not get more minutes in the NBA?? It would seem to me that any player that could board that well and post that kind of ridiculous blocked shot rate would be coveted.....

I also want to see Williams and Hawes get plenty of playing time, including time together. It's a bit much to ask at this point, but if they both continue to develop, they could be 'the horses' on this team for many years. I think their games can compliment each other. However, Justin is going to have to develop a decent free throw or he will present major limitations to our team at crunch time.

I absolutely don't accept the notion that you have to play guys with bigger contracts or with more experience, or because they think they 'should be the starter.' I think our new coach has enough cockiness to play those who give the best effort, and to sit those who don't. But time will tell.
That was one of the biggest problems with muss, he seemed like he would "reward" playing time to guys who didnt deserve it and was just trying to satisfy the players and failed at doing that as well. One thing that made me feel goog about theus was that he already identified the biggest problem here and has already said that guys will have to earn PT. Mr. powerpoint would play ronnie price for 20 games straight and even if he is playing good we would never see him again until the end of the season.

Whether or not theus can succeed with is another thing entirely, although i do like everything im hearing so far.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Ouch. Asking for someone to injure themselves is where I draw the line. If JW is good enough, he'll earn his PT. Seniority isn't based on paycheck on a struggling team.

That's what I thought last season, and he was but apparently he didn't. Even though he really did. :(

Have you seen Yogi Stewart's first year numbers?

21 mpg, 6.6 rpb, 2.41 :eek: bpg

If we got that from Justin this year, I'd be ecstatic.

Side note - why did Michael Stewart not get more minutes in the NBA?? It would seem to me that any player that could board that well and post that kind of ridiculous blocked shot rate would be coveted.....
Justin has the POTENTIAL to be the same kind of player Yogi was, IMO. And as far as why Yogi didnt play more: Injuries/surgeries.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Nice!

Next step is to kidnap either Kenny or Shareef

That may be the only way to get rid of them.

I agree with Brickie. If they don't lose a couple of vets (one way or another) there will not be enough minutes for the young guys to get enough rotation time (quality time) to give them the experience they need to find their own way in the NBA.:mad: