Kings withdraw offer to Price

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Ok let me get this straight: Despite already having 5 bigs to play the 4-5 we spend the entire MLE on Mikie Moore. Then we drop the quallifing offer of near pocket change for the young pg that seemed best in the back up rotation last season... Petrie's brilliance is so far beyond my limited understanding that I will stop even trying to understand what he is doing. I will simply keep repeating "Petrie works in mysterious ways"

Keep in mind that we had the Offer out there for Price, He decided not to sign it. Not the Kings fault.

I liked Price, wish him well.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Ditto that (or maybe Pooh?). Seems that they see something in better playmaking ability (or whatever they are looking for in a backup PG) in one of the camp guys.

Sorry to see him go. Good luck, Ronnie. Thanks for the Boozer dunk! :D

We have 2 young potential PGs who would compete with him for playing time+Bibby who will get 30-35 MPG. We made Ronnie an offer, he decided not to sign with us. He probably wanted us to withdraw the QO because it was scaring off potential teams for him to sign with. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Cleveland or Miami.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Price probably wanted us to withdraw the offer. Have you ever thought of the idea that maybe the QO was scaring off teams who might want to sign him, but were afraid the Kings would match?
All kinds of things could be written between the lines, but based on what we KNOW and what the article SAYS... Kings need a back up PG... Kings are rebuilding... Kings COULD trade Bibby. So uless a team is planing to START Price I am not sure that the Kings would not be as good or better a location IF they really wanted him.

But what do I know after all "Petrie Works In Mysterious Ways"

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Price probably wanted us to withdraw the offer. Have you ever thought of the idea that maybe the QO was scaring off teams who might want to sign him, but were afraid the Kings would match?
Likely.

He didn't sign the offer extended, so he was shopping around. I'd assume his agent spoke with Petrie to gauge the Kings interest. The Kings/Petrie have withdrawn offers/done something to help a player before when they could (Darius, for example, IIRC).

WHY would we do that?
I'm going to guess that he was tired of the situation in Sacramento, and we wanted to save face by saying "no, you didn't dump me, I dumped you first!"

It would be one thing if we had a backup PG ready to go, but we don't. Shakur is nice as cheap, undrafted rookie benchwarmers go, but he's not ready to be Bibby's backup.

An alternative could be that we're getting ready to have a stuffed roster because one or more players are about to be traded for a larger number of players, but it seems unlikely. Trades are so... 1998.

Maybe. Although it's not as if any team would be harmed by making an offer and having it matched. They'd just move on and get someone else instead.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
I liked Price too. He glory crown for last year, the awesome tomahawk dunk on Boozer, was voted the #1 Dunk of 2007 by ESPN. Gutsy guy but not likely starting NBA material yet. Shakur is more a classic distribute first PG.

Cleveland? Don't think so if they are after Bibby type. Price more a shooter too but years behind Bibbs. Hard to believe someone will start him yet. But he has that possibility. Wish him well.

I'm a little disappointed, liked the kid. But it's not a major non-move, we'll probably end up with Shakur who could end up having a better career.
All the best Ronnie.

I liked Ronnie, but I definitely did not see him as a PG, or our future PG. I liked the way he played,but he's kind of the odd man out. He is more of an undersized SG if you ask me, and we already had a bunch of those. Plus he had that offer the whole time and didnt accept it, so that probably had something to do with it. Shakur has much better size, and is actually a true PG and can actually be a future starter at the PG spot, something I unfortunately couldnt say about Price.
He did give us the Kings best dunk ever though, so ill definitely remember him for that.

there better be some offseason movement that is actually pleasing to the ear from the kings.. we signed mikki f'ng moore for 5m per year and couldn't retain price? :rolleyes:

imo price really wasnt fitting into our future plans anyway and he knew that as well..sorry to see him go but with another scenario i'm sure he'll be alright

Doing things like signing Moore and withdrawing the offer to Price make me feel like the organization is proceeding without any cohesive rebuilding plan whatsoever.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Makes me think we have a trade coming and will be getting a pg in return.. Maybe Ron Ron for Jason Williams and Dorell Wright. Bibby, Williams and Shakur at pg spot.. Shakur could learn some stuff from those 2 guys.

Makes me think we have a trade coming and will be getting a pg in return.. Maybe Ron Ron for Jason Williams and Dorell Wright. Bibby, Williams and Shakur at pg spot.. Shakur could learn some stuff from those 2 guys.
You know if you want some cheap talent for Ron Ron, please feel free to give Houston a call. We've got cheap guards of all varieties.

The CBA rule says next Monday is the deadline for a team to withdraw a qualifying offer freely (without the player's consent). I think this is just in case Petrie decides not to bring back Price, say if we sign Shukur, that he won't be stuck with Price's offer still on the table.

I don't think it means Price is not coming back. And considering there is very little noise in teams wanting Price, it is not a risky move to withdraw the QO.

And I'd think Price and his agent is well aware of the deadline and should have expected this withdrawal in light of their, so far, refusal to accept the offer.

a Qualifying Offer may be withdrawn by the Team at any time through the July 23 following its issuance. If the Qualifying Offer is not withdrawn on or before July 23, it may be withdrawn thereafter but only if the player agrees in writing to the withdrawal.

http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-XI.php#section4

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Shakur looks like a better backup PG in the longrun than Price. Ronnie's main claim to fame was his athleticism and shooting ability. He never really showed he could run the team which made him somewhat redundant. We've got another undersized SG trying to learn the PG position on our bench already. (Quincy Douby hasn't shown much yet either, but he's a first round pick with a four year guaranteed contract which earns him the benefit of the doubt). Swapping out Price for Shakur is probably a small upgrade.

I still can't tell though whether Petrie's more interested in acquiring young talent or adding enough pieces to field a competitive team this season. Getting a lot of mixed messages so far. Keeping Shakur and Price and then rotating one or both of them down to the NBDL seems like a good way to hedge your bets in case one or the other is a bust, but apparently we're determined to be the last team on the NBDL bandwagon.