KT buyout? (split)

Gary

All-Star
Ya Petrie said he doesnt think Justin or Ronnie will play summer league this year. I am guessing it is because they are both free agents and don't want to risk getting hurt and getting no contract at all. Also ya why don't we just buy out KT. Philly did it with Webb.

You know I am on that band wagon. I think KT would accept a buyout.

If we were to tell KT that he would not play for the Kings and to sit at home on the IR for the remainder of his contract that he would definitely take a buyout. Why would KT want to sit at home for 3 more years when he could take a lump sum, and then sign somewhere else and PLAY?

IMO KT hurts the team with his attitude more than he helps with his play..

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I split this out because there's no way people would follow the leap from a thread about Mustafa Shakur to a buyout of Kenny Thomas...

You know I am on that band wagon. I think KT would accept a buyout.

If we were to tell KT that he would not play for the Kings and to sit at home on the IR for the remainder of his contract that he would definitely take a buyout. Why would KT want to sit at home for 3 more years when he could take a lump sum, and then sign somewhere else and PLAY?

IMO KT hurts the team with his attitude more than he helps with his play..
have you seen Kenny play? he might enjoy taking $10-15 million to sit on his butt for a few years

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Only if he becomes an *** about not being a priority in the offense like has gone on already to a certain extent. This crap where Kenny takes time away from Justin Williams and now Spencer Hawes has to stop now.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
yeah, if we can't move him, I think at this point I really would buy him out. And I HATE buyouts. Leaves you stuck holding the financial bag with no way of alleviating it (not sure what the offset rules are if he signs a new contract elsewhere?). But sometimes you just have to suck it up and do it to remove roster clutter and chemistry problems.

he actually hustles most of the time, he just turns the ball over and blows layups
Not to mention that he's a 6'7 power forward.

edit: I look at it this way, when your SMALL forward is the same size as your POWER forward and that POWER forward does nothing to make up for his lack of size with heart, determination and skills...something is SERIOUSLY wrong with that.(and has been for a few years now)

Last edited:
the one memorable game i could remember kt having was his triple double game against the lakers 2 years ago i think he had like 26pts or something, but besides that he's been a ghost i think he'll take a buyout he can make some money from sac plus more $ with his new team if someone signs him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bricklayer said:
yeah, if we can't move him, I think at this point I really would buy him out. And I HATE buyouts. Leaves you stuck holding the financial bag with no way of alleviating it (not sure what the offset rules are if he signs a new contract elsewhere?). But sometimes you just have to suck it up and do it to remove roster clutter and chemistry problems.
From what it says, I don't think there is any offset provision:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

59. What is a contract buy-out?

Sometimes players and teams decide to divorce each other. They do this by mutually agreeing that:
The team will waive the player;

If the player clears waivers, the compensation protection for lack of skill (see question number 90) will be reduced or eliminated;

Optionally the payment schedule for the remaining salary may be shortened or lengthened.

For example, the Celtics did this with Dino Radja prior to the 1997-98 season. They mutually agreed to reduce Radja's compensation protection to 50% of its value, and then the Celtics waived him. When he cleared waivers he was paid the 50% he was owed, and he was then free to return to Europe.
But there's a twist, which needed an arbitrator's ruling during the 1999-00 season to resolve. As detailed in question number 90, on January 10 all contracts become guaranteed for the rest of the season. Compensation protection insures the player against loss of salary after being waived for lack of skill. But if he is waived after January 10, then he doesn't lose his salary, so the compensation protection does not kick in. Even though the team & player can mutually agree to reduce or eliminate the player's compensation protection, he is still owed his full salary if waived after January 10.

This was challenged by John Starks during the 1999-00 season. Starks had been traded to the Bulls, and wanted to sever ties with the team after January 10. The arbitrator ruled that in the last season of a player's contract, the team and player could choose to eliminate the contract guarantee that kicked in on January 10. Starks and the Bulls were therefore free to agree to a divorce (with no money owed to Starks) as described above.

There is one other type of buyout described in the CBA. When a contract contains an option year, a buyout amount for the option year can be written into the contract. The buyout amount may be up to 50% of the salary for the option year, and is payable with the exercise of an ETO or the non-exercise of an option.

Not to mention that he's a 6'7 power forward.

edit: I look at it this way, when your SMALL forward is the same size as your POWER forward and that POWER forward does nothing to make up for his lack of size with heart, determination and skills...something is SERIOUSLY wrong with that.(and has been for a few years now)
Or how about when your power forward is smaller than your small forward and your small forward is more powerful than your power forward?

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
Sadly, KT was our best offensive rebounder last year, and just a little behind Artest and Miller. That's probably the best part of his game and also shows how bad we were at rebounding.

thats not totally true, depends on what we can buy him out for.