Voisin: Brown Interested in Kings Job (merged)

Do you want the Kings to give Larry Brown a shot at the coaching position?

• Total voters
there is a reason he is available. memphis and charlotte passed; seattle, houston, and orlando didn't even bother. but yeah, let's not care about a man's past or the reactions from other teams, let's not use it as possible (note i said POSSIBLE) warning signs.

i mean, even on this board, talk of larry brown didn't go above one or two whispers until AV's story broke out. if you're all for the greatness of brown, wouldn't you have been pushing him from the beginning? the only coaching post i saw from you prior to all of this was rooting for SVG.

...we aren't Charlotte or Memphis. But if we want to be we can just hire an assistant for our head coaching position...hmmm.
btw, you say that as if it's a bad thing. those two teams are better than us despite the records last season, and actually have more promising futures right now.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So if he got hired by another team that would mean what to us? That we missed out? The fact is he is available, and there are many fans who have more hope in him than in all of the other candidates combined.

Do you do everything based on what other people do? Are you more re-active than active?

Yeah, hmmm, Charlotte and Memphis didn't hire him so he must be worthless. Last time I checked, we aren't Charlotte or Memphis. But if we want to be we can just hire an assistant for our head coaching position...hmmm.
Regardless of how it's spun, at least four teams with head coach openings have NOT picked Larry Brown. There has to be a reason. If he's as good as some are saying, why did at least four GMs decide they'd rather have assistant coaches than the HOF Brown? I'll tell you why. He comes with way too much baggage and they don't want to risk a repeat of what has happened in his last few jobs.

He may have been great but right now I think it's pretty clear by the job offers he HASN'T received that his time has passed. Of course, that's my opinion but it's based on what's happening now and not what happened in the prime years of his career. BIG difference, IMHO.

Regardless of how it's spun, at least four teams with head coach openings have NOT picked Larry Brown. There has to be a reason. If he's as good as some are saying, why did at least four GMs decide they'd rather have assistant coaches than the HOF Brown? I'll tell you why. He comes with way too much baggage and they don't want to risk a repeat of what has happened in his last few jobs.

He may have been great but right now I think it's pretty clear by the job offers he HASN'T received that his time has passed. Of course, that's my opinion but it's based on what's happening now and not what happened in the prime years of his career. BIG difference, IMHO.
I'm not saying you're wrong with any of your points, but one point that is going overlooked is that Memphis, Charlotte, and Seattle do not have the budget to hire Larry.

So if he got hired by another team that would mean what to us? That we missed out? The fact is he is available, and there are many fans who have more hope in him than in all of the other candidates combined.

Do you do everything based on what other people do? Are you more re-active than active?

Yeah, hmmm, Charlotte and Memphis didn't hire him so he must be worthless. Last time I checked, we aren't Charlotte or Memphis. But if we want to be we can just hire an assistant for our head coaching position...hmmm.
If he got hired by another team, it would mean nothing to me as far as my not wanting LB for the Kings coach.

As for me being reactive or basing everything I'll ignore that rather extreme statement. No, but I certainly wouldn't ignore any circumstances, opinions or information available.

Last edited:
I'm not saying you're wrong with any of your points, but one point that is going overlooked is that Memphis, Charlotte, and Seattle do not have the budget to hire Larry.
And the Kings do? The Maloofs aren't exactly spending like they were in earlier seasons. With the arena up in the air (up in smoke?) they've been rather frugal when it comes to spending, IMHO.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Coach salaries don't count against the salary cap. And one would certainly think that if Memphis, Charlotte or Seattle truly wanted Brown, it would be because they believed in his abilities. In that circumstance, I'm sure they'd find a way to pay him.

Coach salaries don't count against the salary cap. And one would certainly think that if Memphis, Charlotte or Seattle truly wanted Brown, it would be because they believed in his abilities. In that circumstance, I'm sure they'd find a way to pay him.
And if Brown really was just aching so much to get back into the NBA, he'd be willing to accept what the team could offer.;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think they're enjoying their time off. They don't agonize about this kind of stuff anywhere near as much as we - the loyal but uninformed fans - do. It's all part of the job to them. (Well, for the most part.) I'm sure they're curious and may have preferences but their job is to play for whomever is in the suit next to the scorer's table at the beginning of the season.

Entity

Hall of Famer

Why do you keep going back to this same excuse. Rick Adelman also didn't get offers from anybody last year or anybody up until Houston. Same for Phil Jackson the year he took off. Don Nelson had none for a while. Rudy T was the same. Most probably as I and many others thought he wasn't even available for coaching duties due to his job in Philly and the fact that he hasn't expressed interest until AV interviewed him. So give the job offers thing a rest its not noteworthy ask Jim Jackson.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
What I want to know is if there are any rules prohibiting this type of salary structure:
a) 2 year deal, $1 million a year
b) Gets his pick of Brookss, Shaw, Theus or other acceptable candidate to mentor and turn the team over to in year 3
c) If the successor gets his contract extended beyond that and Larry Brown completed his 2 year deal without quitting or being fired he gets a $10 million bonus which in effect gives him $6 mil per for the 2 years he coached but only if it works out to everyone's advantage.

If this type of deal were allowable and Brown and the successor were game would everyone painting apocalypse scenarios be less reluctant to at least bring him in for an interview?

eta.. nevermind, if the Theus info is true. But I fail to see Theus being a better option right now.