Artest retirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Artest won't confirm, deny if he's talked about retiring

Artest won't confirm, deny if he's talked about retiring

Link To Article on ESPN.COM http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2811743
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Sacramento Kings forward Ron Artest told multiple teammates this week that he wants to retire at season's end to spend more time with his family, according to club sources.

Reached via e-mail, Artest wouldn't confirm or deny making such declarations, telling ESPN.com: "We can talk about it after [the] playoffs."

Artest added that he will indeed play Sunday afternoon when the Kings, 4½ games out of the eighth and final playoff berth in the West, play host to Phoenix in an ABC game. Since being arrested at his Sacramento-area home March 5 after a domestic dispute with his wife, Artest has missed three games, most recently Thursday night's road loss to the Suns.

Artest pleaded not guilty Thursday to four misdemeanor charges stemming from the dispute. He tried to make it to Phoenix in time for the Kings' game after his court appearance, but weather-related travel complications prevented Artest and Kings broadcaster Grant Napear -- who also was also traveling on a commercial flight that day -- from joining the team.

The possibility of the eight-year veteran walking away from the Kings after the season to focus on family life is also raised at hiphopgame.com, where Artest has been posting journal entries this season.

But it should be noted that this isn't the first time he's brought up retirement. Before and after his 73-game suspension with Indiana during the 2004-05 season, Artest suggested numerous times publicly that he could be content without the NBA in his life. Few league observers believed him then, and similar skepticism is bound to greet his latest sentiments.

The 27-year-old has two seasons left on his contract after this one, both at salaries of $7.4 million. Artest has the option to terminate the contract after next season and enter the free-agent market in July 2008.

Artest was widely hailed as a savior in Sacramento last season after the Kings acquired him from the Pacers in a late January trade for Peja Stojakovic. The Kings were 17-24 when they got him and wound up rallying into the postseason, extending San Antonio to six games in the first round and stretching their run under co-owners Joe and Gavin Maloof to eight straight seasons in the playoffs.

During the offseason, both Maloofs openly described Artest as the new face of the franchise, expressing hope that the enigmatic swingman would finish his career with the Kings.

This season, though, has been turmoil-ridden from the start, with ongoing reports of locker-room strife, and first-year coach Eric Musselman has struggled to assert his authority over the Kings. Artest and point guard Mike Bibby both were made available before the league's Feb. 22 trade deadline, leading to speculation that the Kings will be looking to jettison both -- as well as Musselman -- this offseason.

In an interview with ESPN.com in November 2004, just one week before the melee at The Palace of Auburn Hills that led to the longest suspension in NBA history, Artest raised and then shot down the idea of early retirement in the same conversation.

"If I think I want to retire, it doesn't make me crazy," Artest said at the time. "What's so crazy about being home with your family? I don't see anything so crazy about that. If people think that's crazy, maybe they don't know what it's like to be with their family. Family is more important than money."

But then he added: "I really -- before I retire -- I want to win a championship. I want to reach at least one of the things Michael Jordan reached."

After entering his plea of not guilty last week, Artest was ordered by a Placer County Superior Court judge to stay at least 100 yards away from wife, Kimsha, and their three children until further notice. Artest is allowed to communicate with his family by telephone, e-mail and letter, with another court hearing scheduled for April 5.

He was arrested March 5 at the family's estate in Loomis, some 25 miles northeast of Sacramento. Artest is accused of grabbing, pushing and slapping his wife. He pleaded not guilty to the misdemeanor charges of battery and corporal injury to a spouse, false imprisonment and dissuading a witness from reporting a crime.

Artest has since apologized to his family and his teammates at a news conference. He's played in seven games since the incident, averaging 18.7 points and 6.0 rebounds, but the Kings are 1-6 in those games.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

If Ron does retire to be with is family, I wish him good luck. Interesting in that article he mentioned talk to me after the playoffs. LOL, its set in stone in his mind that we will make it.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Reality check.

We're talking about a game; entertainment.

Ron Artest, with all his problems, may well be considering retiring from the game to try and keep his family together.

It's about his life, not his trade value.
I think Artest is more interested in getting traded to where he wants to get traded than anything else. He's saying, if you don't trade me where I want to go, then screw it, you're getting nothing for me. This is just another passive-aggressive move by Artest to get out of the hole that he created.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Would it be different if we bought him out?

If we buy him out, that amount (of the buyout) is still going to count against our cap. Since buyouts are always for major percentages of the original deal, means we get to keep being pinned by ron's salary even with him no longer on the team.

No, if Ron wants to retire, its better for us to make him actually carry though on the idiocy. Then we are free of the contract entirely, and get all the cap room back. The problem being that unless we find a way to give him a nudge he could take all summer "deciding" what to do, and hence by the time he finally calls it quits there would be nobody of note left for us to sign. There is also the open possibility that this is all about leverage, with Ron now essentially holding a trade veto with the threat he will just retire rather than go someplace he does not want to play.

Said months ago you cannot be late in trading Ron Artest. Said it because his next incident was going to not only screw our franchise but make it extremely difficult to trade him to another taker as well. Well...here we are. He should have been gone in December. Trade deadline at the latest. Now we are at his mercy. Yay.

There is also the open possibility that this is all about leverage, with Ron now essentially holding a trade veto with the threat he will just retire rather than go someplace he does not want to play.
OMG, how dare you think something he says isn't the truth and with good intentions. I mean this is Ron Artest we're talking about here.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
OMG, how dare you think something he says isn't the truth and with good intentions. I mean this is Ron Artest we're talking about here.
Who knows. Its a possibility, and may have factored in. But Ron strikes me as far from calculating. If this was Sprewell we were talking about, there woould be no doubt. This is Ron. he acts on insinct. Ron is unhappy. Ron might well rpefer to be elsewhere. To that degree it all works together. But beign disingenuous may be a bit beyond Ron's capabilites.

Status
Not open for further replies.