Sac/Cleveland/Chicago/Minnesota

Here's another version of Bibby to Cleveland that includes Shareef going to Chicago. It's a four-team deal, but it's less complicated than it looks.

Sacramento out:
Mike Bibby
Shareef Abdur-Rahim

Sacramento in:
Mike James
Drew Gooden
PJ Brown (expiring)

Cleveland out:
Drew Gooden
Ira Newble
Scot Pollard
Sasha Pavlovic

Cleveland in:
Mike Bibby

Minnesota out:
Mike James

Minnesota in:
Sasha Pavlovic (expiring)
Scot Pollard (expiring)

Chicago out:
PJ Brown

Chicago in:
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Ira Newble

In terms of realism, a nice synthesis of rumors out there. I could legitimately see every team doing this. Of course, would I like to see the Kings get either more youth or more cap space? Sure. But this is something I could see Petrie signing off on, good for us or not.

Trade out Gooden for AV and Pollard (expiring) and this would be great
Here's the thing about Verejao -- in order to make the salaries work, realistically either Gooden or Hughes is going to have to go out in a Bibby to Cleveland trade to make the salaries work. I really can't see anyone taking on Hughes because of his injury history and contract. So it pretty much has to be Gooden. Then you have to figure that they're not going to trade BOTH Gooden and Verejao because they'd be without a power forward besides Donyell Marshall. So I don't think a trade involving AV is very likely.

Besides, he's a restricted free agent in the offseason anyway, so the Kings would have a shot at signing him.

Here's the thing about Verejao -- in order to make the salaries work, realistically either Gooden or Hughes is going to have to go out in a Bibby to Cleveland trade to make the salaries work. I really can't see anyone taking on Hughes because of his injury history and contract. So it pretty much has to be Gooden. Then you have to figure that they're not going to trade BOTH Gooden and Verejao because they'd be without a power forward besides Donyell Marshall. So I don't think a trade involving AV is very likely.

Besides, he's a restricted free agent in the offseason anyway, so the Kings would have a shot at signing him.

Gooden is better than Varejao(cavs fans seriously overrate this guy). He's a rich man's micheal smith.

Gooden is better than Varejao(cavs fans seriously overrate this guy). He's a rich man's micheal smith.
Personally I'd much rather have Varejao (assuming he's not overpaid in the offseason) -- Gooden is ok, but he's such a mediocre player that he's not quite a starter but doesn't really have a role off the bench. At least with Verejao you get someone who will always have a role -- he hustles, he rebounds, he blocks some shots, and he leads the league in charges taken despite not getting all that many minutes. Gooden's stats look good, but he makes so many boneheaded plays and he has such a low basketball IQ that it's maddening.

I'm not even thrilled with the trade I proposed, but it's better IMO than standing pat.

I heard Mike James' name mentioned earlier this morning. If people think Snow has a bad contract they ought to look at James' deal. It's a year longer than Snow's

I heard Mike James' name mentioned earlier this morning. If people think Snow has a bad contract they ought to look at James' deal. It's a year longer than Snow's
Except that James is a far better player. His deal isn't that bad for a starting pointguard, and if he can regain some of his old form (a big if, given that he's 31 and has been in a pretty good situation with KG), he could be a good value. But traditionally the point guards that age well are the ones that can shoot, and James can shoot.

This would put us at about $46-47 against the cap next year. A conservative estimate of next years cap would be in the $54-57 range (it's $53 this year). Ideally, the cap moves up a bit, and we have $10 million to work with.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/44826/20070222/bulls_turn_to_shareef_and_bonzi/

Now that Pau Gasol is unlikely to be dealt, Kings forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim is the most prominently mentioned possibility for the Bulls, though a late rumor Wednesday had the club trying to acquire Bonzi Wells from the Rockets.

Skiles met with Paxson on Wednesday morning before the team departed for Cleveland.

"As coaches, even though I know more than the average person, I still have to operate under the assumption that this is the team we're going to [have] the rest of the season," Skiles said. "If you don't do that, you're making a mistake."

Last edited by a moderator:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
In terms of realism, a nice synthesis of rumors out there. I could legitimately see every team doing this. Of course, would I like to see the Kings get either more youth or more cap space? Sure. But this is something I could see Petrie signing off on, good for us or not.
Unforunately so could I, but only because its such a shuffling deck chairs load us up with mediocre players sort of deal. In the end ok I do it just for the capspace, but otherwise you've really gained nothing out of it. Slightly more mediocre in fact afterward. Slightly better at one position, slightyl worse at the other. Long term deal back for your long term deals out. Slightly older at one spot, younger at the other. Blah.