Who will replace Nash and Iverson?

So who will Stern name to replace Iverson and Nash at the All-Star game?

I read that Ray Allen is a possibility.

Could K-Mart be another possibility?

Ray Allen and Deron Williams will be picked...

because Utah who has the third best record in the league needs a rep and Ray allen is having the best year scoring wise of his career.

my money is on ray allen and either one of chris paul or deron williams.
Chris Paul has missed 17 games this season, is scoring less than K-Mart, but his assists are high (as a PG would be). Also, the NOKs are basically in the same spot as the Kings.

Deron Williams at least plays for a top tier team.

I don't think Kevin will get it largely because he's still too "new". But his stats and contribution should put him above a team like the Sonics or Blazers.

Ray Allen may score a lot, but his team sucks worse than ours and he's the only scorer on that team.

The Kings players are always snubbed with some excuse or another.

I'm sick of it, personally.
Well Ray Allen is having a better year than Kevin Martin, no two ways about it. He's the better player and deserves it.

As for the second spot, they need another point guard which automatically excludes Martin.

Deron Williams and a big like Brand or Randolph.

Martin won't get invited, not because of other candidates but because he's already declined participation.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ray Allen and Deron Williams get first cuts. Maybe even Memo if they ignore positions.

Chris Paul deserves to be there as a franchise talent, but injuries will hold him back. Baron Davis too as the straw in Oakland. Its Stern's decision and politics plays a factor, so I guess Kevin could get in for political reasons -- promote the young guy, give the struggling Sacto franchise a boost etc. But even on that front the "correct" political choice is Williams, the "correct" major star/respect choice is Allen. The "correct" franchise PG replacing franchise PG choices are Paul or Davis etc. etc. Kevin has the numbers to go to an All Star game as a good team's #2 representative. But he's on a bad team, and he's not even clearly the main guy on that team. Its a difficult argument how Kevin goes scoring 21-4-2 on a 22 win team while Allen does not scoring 27-4-4 on a 19 win team.

Ray Allen and Deron Williams get first cuts. Maybe even Memo if they ignore positions.

Chris Paul deserves to be there as a franchise talent, but injuries will hold him back. Baron Davis too as the straw in Oakland. Its Stern's decision and politics plays a factor, so I guess Kevin could get in for political reasons -- promote the young guy, give the struggling Sacto franchise a boost etc. But even on that front the "correct" political choice is Williams, the "correct" major star/respect choice is Allen. The "correct" franchise PG replacing franchise PG choices are Paul or Davis etc. etc. Kevin has the numbers to go to an All Star game as a good team's #2 representative. But he's on a bad team, and he's not even clearly the main guy on that team. Its a difficult argument how Kevin goes scoring 21-4-2 on a 22 win team while Allen does not scoring 27-4-4 on a 19 win team.
I agree, except NOK is also a bad team. The Sonics are even worse.

I was wondering if Martin might be the "political" choice you mention because the Kings are, in theory through the Maloofs, the host of this stupid game.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I agree, except NOK is also a bad team. The Sonics are even worse.
Bad is relative; the Hornets have played through a menagerie of injuries, and yet somehow still have a better record than the Kings, and are a better team in spite of injuries. The Supersonics, meanwhile, have played half the season without their number-two scorer and the whole season without the guy who was meant to be their starting center, and are only marginally worse than the Kings.

Martin declined participation in the skills contest only because he was not going to be there as an all-star.
His reason was that he was tired and because of the teams struggle he didn't feel he deserve to be there.

Declining to participate in a lesser event like the 3-point contest is exactly why he won't get an invite. There is still prestige to being named as an All-Star and playing in the game, and I don't see Stern extending an invite after he declined to participate in the lesser event before any invite ever came.

Bad is relative; the Hornets have played through a menagerie of injuries, and yet somehow still have a better record than the Kings, and are a better team in spite of injuries. The Supersonics, meanwhile, have played half the season without their number-two scorer and the whole season without the guy who was meant to be their starting center, and are only marginally worse than the Kings.
Yes bad is relative.

We played through injuries as well. All teams play through injuries.

We suck, the Sonics suck a little worse, and the Hornets are borderline sucking.

If they will choose a player from the Sonics, who suck worse, then apparently suckiness is not a factor in David Stern's choice.

Or if it is, he's not being honest if he selects Allen or Randolf.

His reason was that he was tired and because of the teams struggle he didn't feel he deserve to be there.

Declining to participate in a lesser event like the 3-point contest is exactly why he won't get an invite. There is still prestige to being named as an All-Star and playing in the game, and I don't see Stern extending an invite after he declined to participate in the lesser event before any invite ever came.
I'm not certain that declining one of those lesser events would be a factor. It shouldn't be. All-Star players decline those lesser events every day.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Yes bad is relative.

We played through injuries as well. All teams play through injuries.

We suck, the Sonics suck a little worse, and the Hornets are borderline sucking.

If they will choose a player from the Sonics, who suck worse, then apparently suckiness is not a factor in David Stern's choice.

Or if it is, he's not being honest if he selects Allen or Randolf.
Only one of our players have missed major time, and even he hasn't missed nearly as many games as Rashard Lewis, nor is he our second-leading scorer; you can't possibly compare our situation to either Seattle or New Orleans.

And Ray Allen is a better player than Kevin Martin in every aspect of basketball.

Only one of our players have missed major time, and even he hasn't missed nearly as many games as Rashard Lewis, nor is he our second-leading scorer; you can't possibly compare our situation to either Seattle or New Orleans.

And Ray Allen is a better player than Kevin Martin in every aspect of basketball.
I can compare and I did.

Bibby may have played, but his injury and recovery affected his play for months.

Miller was out a long time, and we can see the positive impact his presence has on our offense. (Defense is a different issue.) And he's out again.

The Sonics and the Kings are different teams and their players have different roles. I'm certainly not comparing Lewis to Miller, but their impact on their team's offense is significant.

Did I say Kevin Martin was better than Ray Allen? I must have missed where I said that.

I did say Allen plays on a sucky team.

So does Kevin.

I did say I doubt very much that Kevin would be selected. I didn't list all the reasons I believe that, however.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Not factoring in team records, Zach Randolph deserved the bid over Memo.

18/7 from Memo compared to 24/10 from Randolph...And they have pretty much the same percentages from the field, with Randolph better from the line.

The only logic there is the team records, which I do not agree with one bit.

Allen did deserve it, though...Hes having a great year.

Too bad -- this year could have been Mike's chance to sneak on to the team in exactly this type of scenario. Unfortunately he decided to suck instead. :)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Too bad -- this year could have been Mike's chance to sneak on to the team in exactly this type of scenario. Unfortunately he decided to suck instead. :)
Hell, Mike is rather abruptly, even when playing well, maybe the 7th best PG in the West (Iverson, Nash, Paul, Davis, Williams, Parker). Whatever window he had for making the All Star team may be gone unless he gets traded East.