Niners Offseason

So what do you make of the offseason thus far?

Norv Turner was the frontrunner for the Dallas Head Coach job until it was announced that Juan Rivera, defensive coordinator for the Bears, will be interviewed. He should undoubtedly stand out above Norv. So what does that mean for us? Will Norv return as an offensive coordinator for us? Or will he move on to be interviewed for other head coaching jobs? Since we hired Manusky, formerly the Chargers linebacker coach, as our defensive coordinator, it seems as though Nolan will be taking over the offensive playcalling. What does everyone make of that?

Thats fine with me. As long as we keep Norv and Singletary, I'm cool. Unless we wanted to bring back Mora Jr. I think that everyone within the Niners organization has a renewed sense of optimism for the first time in 5 years or so, and I dont think they want to mess with that. I dont know about anyone else, but I sure as hell cant wait until next season, already!

Nolan won't take over on playcalling in my mind, if norv got a HC job Jerry Sulliven would be offensive cordinator.

if norv doesn't get the cowboys job he'll be back here, no other jobs open I think and no one else is calling.

if norv doesn't get the cowboys job he'll be back here, no other jobs open I think and no one else is calling.
Does that mean Atlanta has filled their HC vacancy? Or do you mean Jerry Jones was the only one interested in Norv because of their history?

Thats fine with me. As long as we keep Norv and Singletary, I'm cool. Unless we wanted to bring back Mora Jr. I think that everyone within the Niners organization has a renewed sense of optimism for the first time in 5 years or so, and I dont think they want to mess with that. I dont know about anyone else, but I sure as hell cant wait until next season, already!
Mora Jr. is already hooked up with Seattle isn't he?

I hope Norv stays. I hope we get 1-2 of these 4 in free agency.. Adalius Thomas/ Lance Briggs and Asante Samuel/ Nate Clements.

Draft some beef up front, possibly add a Drew Bennent at WR or work some deal for Calvin Johnson, and let's go!

Last edited:
Mora Jr. is already hooked up with Seattle isn't he?

I hope Norv stays. I hope we get 1-2 of these 4 in free agency.. Adalius Thomas/ Lance Briggs and Asante Samuel/ Nate Clements.

Draft some beef up front, possibly add a Drew Bennent at WR or work some deal for Calvin Johnson, and let's go!
The only reason I see Briggs coming here is because he'd be so close to home...but I doubt that he would, being so close to getting a ring in ChiTown. I think Clements would be a great pickup and maybe more realistic. Bennet would be a damn good guy to bring in, he's a big, skilled and experienced reciever and would go great with our core that we have, I think...but he might want to stick around in Tenn. now that they have Vince Young. I think getting bigger on the defensive side of the ball should be a top priority, IMO.

Sign Asante Samuel for whatever he wants. Draft Calvin Johnson (unlikely) or Dwayne Jarrett (probable). Take Reggie Nelson or Leon Hall if we can't land Samuel or Clements at CB. If we hit the jackpot and sign a FA CB and WR, draft DT Amobi Okoye or S Laron Landry. Also might wanna look at a linebacker at some point too. Probably 2nd round.

I would be shocked if Norv Turner is not the Cowboys new head coach. Over the Super Bowl weekend, cameras showed Norv in the Jerry Jones/Troy Aikman/Jason Garrett contingency as the NFL announced Michael Irvin into the Hall of Fame. That tells me that Norv is in deep with Jones and the Cowboys organization. With that said here are my Niner offseason suggestions in order of importance.

1. Hire Jerry Sullivan as OC. He is a Norv Turner, "Digital" offense disciple. Alex Smith needs continuity right now.

2. Get the best available FA defensive player. Whether that is Lance Briggs, Asanti Samuel, Nate Clements, Adalius Thomas, Cato June, Dwight Freeney, Jared Allen...I don't care, you have to come up with one of those guys THIS YEAR. Niners need defensive playmakers.

3a. Get a #1 Wide Receiver. Smith needs a reliable target in the mold of Steve Smith or Reggie Wayne. A burner, a franchise player. There are no franchise players in FA (Stallworth is the best available). So you have to hit a home run in the draft. If Ted Ginn, Jr is available you grab him......

3b. .....if Ted Ginn is not available with your first pick, grab the best defensive lineman or linebacker that can sack the quarterback.

4. Find a backup RB for Frank Gore. This Super Bowl showed that you need more than one guy to carry the load. Indy has Rhodes/Addai, Chicago had Thomas/Benson, New Orleans had McAllister/Bush and Pats had their two guys I forgot their names. I don't care if Gore says he will rush for 2,300 yards, you need a back up to support him on and off the field. According to one website Julius Jones of the Cowboys may be available in a trade.

5. Find a veteran safety that can roll with Keith Lewis. Mark Roman was a solid fill in, but they need someone to compliment Lewis who is a brusing but free roaming safet that loves to hit, but has some defiencies in other areas.

6. Insert Adam Snyder at RT and bench Kwame Harris. he has had enough time to prove himself, he has not gotten the job done.

7. Make Vernon Davis a Pro Bowl TE. Get him the rock, because dude is a freak. And he will be ready to blow up this season.

If all these things can happen, Niners should not only make the playoffs but contend immediately.:) It is going to be an interesting offseason.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
1: Sign Adalius Thomas.

2: Sign Asante Samuel.

If one and two fail sign Dwight Freeny and Nate Clements.

3: Try to trade up and grab Calvin Johnson...If not, draft best available defensive player at the 11.

If all goes according to my plan we should be pretty set.

1: Sign Adalius Thomas.

2: Sign Asante Samuel.

If one and two fail sign Dwight Freeny and Nate Clements.

3: Try to trade up and grab Calvin Johnson...If not, draft best available defensive player at the 11.

If all goes according to my plan we should be pretty set.
Rumors are Adalius Thomas is about to get franchised by the Ravens. Asante Samuel just got franchised by the Patriots. Nate Clements is now gotta be our #1 guy this offseason. Freeney got franchised by the Colts.

New 49ers plan: Sign Donte Stallworth and Nate Clements to medium length deals for top dollar. Stallworth showed he can play in Philly, but he did have some injury issues. Clements is a top tier CB. Niners should draft Gaines Adams, DE Clemson, Adam Carriker, DE Nebraska, or Amobi Okoye, DT Louisville. Defensive Line should be #1 option after CB and WR get filled.

New 49ers plan: Sign Donte Stallworth and Nate Clements to medium length deals for top dollar. Stallworth showed he can play in Philly, but he did have some injury issues. Clements is a top tier CB. Niners should draft Gaines Adams, DE Clemson, Adam Carriker, DE Nebraska, or Amobi Okoye, DT Louisville. Defensive Line should be #1 option after CB and WR get filled.
Sounds like a plan!

bah this sucks and when he joined the niners he was like I'm not going to even worry about coaching jobs as in I'm just going to be the the 49ers offensive co for a while...but just one year...sucks for our offense.

That sucks man!!! It seems like Norv was constantly playing the Niners on one end and a better job on the other. Sullivan is your man now. If not, the Niners should go after Rick Neuheisel as their next OC. Neuheisel is a young offensive minded, ex quarterback.

Well now we're stuck at kind of the ole' rock in a hard place, so to speak...we REALLY need to bring someone damn good in for the O.C. job, otherwise Alex Smith might revert back to playing like Rick Mirer. I dunno about Neuheisel, I might take a flyer on him, just to see what he wants to do with our offense...he wasnt THAT dynamic at Washington.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
It's important that the new OC be someone who is a good teacher as well as a schemer. This is an extremely young team, so putting in a good plan won't work unless you can teach the kids to execute it well.

The 49ers released Antonio Bryant today.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=512265

49ers release Antonio Bryant

The 49ers released volatile receiver Antonio Bryant on Thursday, less than a week after coach Mike Nolan met with him face-to-face in Indianapolis to discuss his situation.
A source familiar with Bryant's contract said the signing bonus he received from the 49ers last year as a free agent was tied to how many games Bryant was active. It was a way for the 49ers to protect themselves financially with a player who was considered a risk when the 49ers signed him.
His signing bonus was reported in league documents as $4 million, but he will count only $800,000 against this year's cap in dead money. Therefore, the 49ers will save about $1.5 million in cap room with the decision to part ways with Bryant.
Bryant was the 49ers' leader with 733 receiving yards in his only season with the 49ers. He caught 40 passes for an average of 18.3 yards a reception. He started 13 games. He did not start once because Nolan punished him for being late to a meeting. He was suspended for the final two games of the season after violating the league's substance abuse. When and if Bryant resumes his career, he will still have to serve the final two games of his suspension.
He got off to a great start with the 49ers, both on the field and off. He had 245 yards receiving after two games, including a 72-yard TD grab in a victory over the Rams. But then his production slipped. He had more than 55 yards receiving just twice the remainder of the season, with 78 yards receiving against the Chargers and 79 against the Saints.
Bryant faces charges of reckless driving and resisting arrest from a November run-in with San Mateo police. He has a trial date set for May 14. A pretrial date was set for April 18. If Bryant is found guilty, the misdemeanor charges of reckless driving and resisting arrest carry a possible sentence of up to a year in jail, the San Mateo Country district attorney's office said.
After Bryant's league-imposed suspension, Nolan said Bryant was on a "short leash," but that he expected him to still be a contributor to the team upon his return.
"We're not done with A.B.," Nolan said on Dec. 22, the day the league announced the suspension. "He's still a part of this football team, and hopefully he gets things in order and we rebound, because A.B. has a lot to offer us."
Nolan's decision to release Bryant was not based on any new incident in the offseason, a team spokesman said. Bryant was reinstated from the reserve/suspended list by the commissioner on Feb. 5 to give him the opportunity to partipate in the 49ers' offseason program. It also enabled the 49ers to release him. Bryant will go back on the reserve/suspended list for two regular-season games when he's on an NFL roster.

Well that's a little more money WE (49ers) can spend. Drew Bennent.. DONTE STALLWORTH?? Sacramento Kid.

Mike Nolan is serious about "Character Guys" being on the team. I like the move even though Bryant has skills. I'm a fan of good players. Good bye Antonio!