Nuggets @ Kings Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

piksi

Hall of Famer
That wasn't in the script
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
On February 3rd 2004 Kings won another game at home against the Sonics to improve to 34-12 for the season. It was another game dominated by Kings big man in general and Brad miller in particular. Kings had 32 assists on 43 FGs, shot better than 50% for the game. Sonics were up at the half but Kings turn the game around in the 3rd quarter and never looked back. Pedja lead the Kings with 26/4/2, Brad had 25/15/5, Bibby had 18/1/5, Vlade had 6/4/11/2bl. Bench was great which usually includes Bobby who had 16/6/1/2 and Peeler was solid with 14/6/5.

Brad Miller and Peja Stojakovic showed why they were named to the Western Conference All-Star team.Miller collected 25 points, 15 rebounds and five assists and Stojakovic scored 26 points as the Sacramento Kings rallied from an early double-digit deficit to defeat the Seattle SuperSonics, 117-101.Mike Bibby added 18 points for the Kings, who trailed by 10 points early in the second quarter and 61-56 at halftime before taking control. Miller, who was named to his second All-Star Game, scored 14 points in the third quarter for Sacramento, which took the lead for good, 73-71, on a 3-pointer by Anthony Peeler with 4:37 left in the period.

"I really think that he deserved it," Stojakovic said of the selection of Miller, who made his All-Star debut last season with Indiana. "He is playing on a team that has the best record and he is a big part of our success. He really deserves a shot."

"It is kinda fun knowing that I have done it on each side of the league," Miller said. "I was expecting to go home on the All-Star break. I was planning on being ice fishing and riding my four-wheeler. I could care less about the recognition."

"You just have to keep telling guys, 'Don't lose your concentration, eventually they're going to go through a cold streak if you keep the pressure on,'" Kings coach Rick Adelman said. "All game long we were able to score, it was just a matter of making some stops at the other end."
--------------------------------------------------------------
After an fairly unexpected win Kings "improved" to 18-26 which is still 3rd worst in the West. 18-26 is exactly the same record that we had last seaon before we played and beat Nuggets at home. The difference is that there is no trade in sight to turn it around and that quick fix isn't really a solution at this point anymore.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
January is over and Kings finished 5-11 as we more or less expected considering the amount of road games. 3-4 at ARCO and 2-6 on the road where one of those two wins were in Boston. All in all a very bad month with a very limited amount of highlights and lots of frustratuions, doubts, questions but still no answers in sights. Such awful January might be a good introduction in the February.
February might be the best month this season simply because it only has 28 days and 13 games for the Kings limiting the number of losses. Reaistically, Kings will go .500 this month which will keep them middle of nowhere. It starts with 3 games home stand ( DEN, NOK, CHI) which is range of 2-1 to 1-2. After that we have home and home with Sonics which we will probably split. Then we have back to back set with Rockets and Hornets which is 1-1 at best. After the allstar weekend we will beat Celtics at home before going on 4 games in 5 nights east coast road trip including WAS, NJ, IND and PHI which is a probable 1-3. Finally we finish the month with that Bobcats at ARCO. 5-8 can be expected but 6-7 is more likely.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Artest in the headlines again. Allegedly, he refused to be substituted in the game against the NOK. I don't think that it was the first time that it happened and it isn't really a news either. It is pretty pathetic anyways. Two things that can be concluded and we know both of them already. First - Ron is not really a good professional and he has some screws lose up there. Second - our coaching stuff has no authority whatsoever and if another players see that Ron can get away with everything it can cause a snowball effect if it already didn't. In the future - maybe we the coaching stuff can give Ron early notice or fill out some kind of request for a substitution. Let's say - 2 weeks notice. Amatures!
Muss got suspended for 2 games which means that he is about to coach the 2 best game sof the season. Good old addition but substraction case. Are we going to miss him - well only if we win both games. The more interesting thing here is to see what will happen while his assistants are in charge. Frightening is the goo word for it. I am sorry but if You are assistant to Muss - I just don't see how player can trust Your competence. Good luck getting Ron out of the game now. We might see thos guys begging Ron to get out or chasing him all over the court. Either way - it won't be boring. What happenes if we play well and win both games. Do the Maloofs send some additional evidence to the NBA to ask for an extension of the suspension.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like Kevin has mad a peace with the ball change and after the little inconsistant play in the beginning of January, he is back to where he was in November and December. He missed the all star game mainly because he plays on a bad team and because he plays in the Western conference but he is the closest Kings will get to an allstar this season. He is also the main responsible pearson for Kings even winning 18 games so far. He deserves more recognition but also at least this season he has earned the right to a bigger role on this team as "mediocre" as it is right now. Keep it up Kevin
Coaches corner - You can't blame Muss for winning this game because he tried everything for us to lose it but he failed. Even Garcia let him down;). He changed everyone on Garnett until he finally found Corliss who got torched. Our draft pick position will reall miss Muss in thenext couple games
Kings deserved to win that game. Both teams are fairly similar in talent but Wolves are overachieving mostly because they have KG. We lead the whole game until the last minute and it looked like we were heading for yet another almost win but Kevin Martin and Randy Foye had other plans. You have to give credit to the effort Kings are giving us every night. Too bad this team is not talented enough and also poorly coached because we play hard every night.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
AWARD TIME

TDM goes to Marc Blount who had a fun game because we didn't disturb him much
LW-VC award goes to Kevin Garnett mostly because his 8-24 from the filed helped us win. Considering how much he usually hurt us - this was a very subpar game by his standards.
Nuggets are next. They are at full strength but Iverson has ankle problems so we will just have to wait and see. It will be a high scoring game. Denver had a better road record than home record. They play fast, they have size and talent to do really well if they manage to figure it out. They play Friday night against the Blazers so we have advantage og 3 days break and their back to back set is making the playing field about even
Mike - Will Steve Blake be the new Boykins ?
Ron - our future player/coach/GM/owner
Brad - time for a triple double and good luck with Camby
Kevin - keep it up kid.
rest - mateen
Muss - about to have 2 perfect games by default.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Nuggets could be pretty scary if they get healthy and develop some chemistry. Clearly more talented but also somewhat tired. Anthony vs Artest will be fun to watch. Iverson might destroy us if he is healthy enough. Camby will have 10/20/5 blocks Steve Blake will win the TDM. LW-VC will hopefully go to one of the Denver guards because we won't win a game otherwise. It will be fast and furious.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Thanks for another great intro, piksi.

BTW - I will be at this game at ARCO (in one of the Maloof Suites). Eat your heart out. :p

Ron Artest in the headlines again. Allegedly, he refused to be substituted in the game against the NOK. I don't think that it was the first time that it happened and it isn't really a news either.
That was kind of obvious during the game. There were also a couple of other times when I saw an issue (my perception) between Muss and a player - one with Mike and another with Ron. It happened with they were on the bench. That was when I really started to believe that we need a new coach for next year. I was a big Adleman supporter, so my opinion my be a bit biased, but I did try to give him the benefit of the doubt. I have been disappointed.

That was kind of obvious during the game. There were also a couple of other times when I saw an issue (my perception) between Muss and a player - one with Mike and another with Ron. It happened with they were on the bench. That was when I really started to believe that we need a new coach for next year. I was a big Adleman supporter, so my opinion my be a bit biased, but I did try to give him the benefit of the doubt. I have been disappointed.
what did you see?

i always think i see things between some of the players. but i havent seen any coach/player stuff people have been mentioning.

Come on you "tankers" you have to be hoping for a win tomorrow right? Scott Burns first game coaching the team and all. This could be the final nail in the coffin for Muss.

what did you see?

i always think i see things between some of the players. but i havent seen any coach/player stuff people have been mentioning.
Again, this was just MY perception. I'm sure that it was nothing big, I just never noticed it before. I could have been reading into things too much.
IT was just very obvious that neither Mike not Ron were happy with his substition patterns. Mike go up once and just stood with his hand on his hips. He said something to Muss and was ignored. He sat back down and was shaking his head. He turned to Ron and just shrugged his shoulders. After that, Ron got up and walked over to where muss was squatting down and said something. Muss literally "shooed" him away. He stood there behind him for awhile then walked back to his seat. He stared at Muss for longer and then sort of shrugged his sholders as well and plopped back into his seat. All this was happening while we were giving up the lead. It could have all been just frustration at how the game was going. I tend to over analyze things. It was probably nothing. It just made me wonder.

Again, this was just MY perception. I'm sure that it was nothing big, I just never noticed it before. I could have been reading into things too much.
IT was just very obvious that neither Mike not Ron were happy with his substition patterns. Mike go up once and just stood with his hand on his hips. He said something to Muss and was ignored. He sat back down and was shaking his head. He turned to Ron and just shrugged his shoulders. After that, Ron got up and walked over to where muss was squatting down and said something. Muss literally "shooed" him away. He stood there behind him for awhile then walked back to his seat. He stared at Muss for longer and then sort of shrugged his sholders as well and plopped back into his seat. All this was happening while we were giving up the lead. It could have all been just frustration at how the game was going. I tend to over analyze things. It was probably nothing. It just made me wonder.
It seems like the team does not a lot of respect for Musselman. I remember a few games ago when Brad Miller was making comments to the media about Musselman not making the right adjustments. When I read that I was thinking "oh dear, these players don't respect their coach." I am sure that players don't always agree with their coach. I am sure there were times they disagreed with Adelman and second guessed his decisions. But, I think they also respected Adelman. I don't think Musselman has done anything to earn their respect & I think we're going to see more of this behavior in the future. Of course, hopefully I'm wrong. Maybe Musselman will magically turn the season around (after his 2 game suspension), get us into the playoffs as an 8 seed, and we'll magically transform overnight into a contender & make a run at the title.... Okay, daydream over...:eek:

It's weird, because until I read Piksi's into (another great one, by the way) I didn't realize that we are currently tied with last year's record. Somehow this year seems more dismal, but I guess that's because I'm remembering the excitement after Artest came on board....

gunks

Hall of Famer
Yeah....I think he heard that Petrie was trying to move him. This is just passive aggression rearing it's ugly head!

gunks

Hall of Famer
Already starting to get killed on the boards....If only this team had some young big sitting on the bench that prides himself on rebounding, shotblocking, and being a garbageman type player...

I coulda sworn we just signed a player like that...I musta been halucinating

anyone else think Jerry Reynolds cheat on the Cache Creek Question of the Game? i just think theres no way he would get tonights answer right. have he ever missed a question?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.