Once Bibby....

Everyone needs to calm down.

The underlying factor is that Bibby is not playing well right now. When Bibby plays well, the whole team plays well. Bibby will start getting his stroke back in the next few games, so everyone just relax and wait a few more games. Hopefully down this stretch of 6 - 8 winable games everything will start coming together.

So once Bibby plays well, the next thread will be, "I love this team!"

GO KINGS

Y

y2kings

his last few games:

3-12
6-22
8-18
4-14
5-10
6-15
7-15
6-17
5-19
3-9
5-17
5-13
6-19
4-11

thie list goes on.....What makes you think he'll pick it up in the next few games?

gunks

Hall of Famer
I agree that this team would be a lot better if Bibby plays like himself, but there's no indication of that happening any time soon.

his last few games:

3-12
6-22
8-18
4-14
5-10
6-15
7-15
6-17
5-19
3-9
5-17
5-13
6-19
4-11

thie list goes on.....What makes you think he'll pick it up in the next few games?
check out some of his stats for the previous years, would you call hart the man if he had some good games in a row, even twenty, I sure wouldn't. I wouldn't lose faith in Bibby if he played like this all year, he'll be back, and sooner than later, hes not coming off surgery or a carrer ending injury...he just lost some of his shooting touch, hell find it soon enough, we can very very easily get 5 straight games, and finish out december ona streak, martin can sit out the next couple days and come back after christmas and hes only missed two games from now. bibby will have four days of rest in a row, which we havent had for itleast a month, things in my opinion are looking up. i see a nice 5 game winning streak coming up...i havent looked at the schedule past december so maybe even more

The underlying factor is that Bibby is not playing well right now. When Bibby plays well, the whole team plays well. Bibby will start getting his stroke back in the next few games, so everyone just relax and wait a few more games. Hopefully down this stretch of 6 - 8 winable games everything will start coming together.

GO KINGS
Sorry, RThomas, but once Bibby starts playing well, the team will return to .500 or just above - mediocrity in a very competitive division. Bibby is part of the problem, but not the entire silver bullet.

And I love this team as much as anyone else - I imagine most here are not just the fair-weather types either.

Personally, the only good (in my opinion) that could come from Bibby hitting some shots is that we might be able to trade him.

Bibby's shooting is a problem, but his defense is even more of a problem. Our "team leader" is playing on one end of the court. He's the "general" ... what does that signal to the rest of the team?

The PG dictates the pace. He dictates the style we'll play. When he plays selfish and takes ill-advised/covered shots ... what is the rest of the team going to do?

Bibby will undoubtably find his shot and it will at least justify the barfing up of shots from the perimeter. But, all that will do is make us a streaky team who wins a few games instead of a horrid team with no identity. We'll become more perimeter oriented and that won't be good.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Personally, the only good (in my opinion) that could come from Bibby hitting some shots is that we might be able to trade him.

Bibby's shooting is a problem, but his defense is even more of a problem. Our "team leader" is playing on one end of the court. He's the "general" ... what does that signal to the rest of the team?

The PG dictates the pace. He dictates the style we'll play. When he plays selfish and takes ill-advised/covered shots ... what is the rest of the team going to do?

Bibby will undoubtably find his shot. But, what that will do is make us a streaky team who wins a few games instead of a horrid team with no identity.
Whoa. It's almost like I'm psychic or something...

:p

Whoa. It's almost like I'm psychic or something...

:p
I'm not necessarily anti-Bibby. I'm anti-Bibby as a PG or the "man" on our current team.

Back in the day, when he was asked to be an off-guard and not create ... he was perfect. Run off a few picks, get a nice shot. Awesome. We had a team full of guys that played solid defense and worked as a team, so Bibby's complete lack of effort on defense was negated.

On this current team - we need him to play like a PG. We need him to play defense. Two things he's shown he's incapable of.

I don't think Bibby is capable of getting his own shot AND creating for the team. He's not Steve Nash. I think he's a one or the other kind of guy.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

GO KINGS

Mike starting to hit his shots might seem inevitable at some point -- what's gone on to this point is just amazing barring some lingering injury that should get the whole training staff fired for letting him go out there and play. That said, so what? Yay, Mike starts hitting some shots, at which point we can go 12-10 over the next 22, get back to a game under .500, and have a chance of ruining our future by avoiding the top lottery picks.

This team has NO chance at contention. None. Its not going anywhere, Mike or no Mike So there comes a point when this "oh yay, we only need this or that to not be terrible" is counterproductive. Be good for Mike, but even if he recovers we will not be fine...or rather we will be "fine", which is another way of saying that frankly I'd rather be a fan of a team with a future. Contend or rebuild, never anything in between if you can avoid it.

Bibby's not going to start hitting his shots until he starts taking good shots. He needs to accept that he is not the #1 option, should not be the #1 option, and should not be trying to be the #1 option. Once he accepts that he'll get better shots -- not the dribble down and shoot 20 footers with 20 seconds left on the shot clock kind, but the kick out and shoot a wide-open 3 kind. And the Kings would be much better off with Bibby as a facilitator and #3 option guy than as someone who is trying to embrace a role he's not suited for.

Bibby of 04-05 was the ideal -- setting up teammates and scoring opportunistically. Last year was ugly and this year is uglier.

IMO Bibby is not putting in the effort. Sorry to be harsh, but I really think that he has more potential in him. It would be nice if he could work a little on his trade value, did not seem like King spent to much time considering GP's offer. Speaking for myself, I do not think that the Kings need anymore flexible peices.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
IMO Bibby is not putting in the effort. Sorry to be harsh, but I really think that he has more potential in him. It would be nice if he could work a little on his trade value, did not seem like King spent to much time considering GP's offer. Speaking for myself, I do not think that the Kings need anymore flexible peices.
Considering Bibby has an ETO he could exercise at the end of the year, one would think he would - if he could - be doing everything he possibly could to increase his value for the open market. I think this whole thing has him much more frustrated than it might seem. And it could be the harder he tries to fix things, the longer the "slump" is going to continue...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Last year Mike did just fine -- take him back in a blink at a mere 21ppg. Most of his shototing percentage woes -- and doesn't 43% sound just peachy right now -- were due to shooting so many threes. This year is something different entirely. When a career 17ppg scorer on 44% shooting and 37% 3pt shooting is now averagin 17ppg on 36% shooting and 26% 3pt shooting, its not about him trying to do things he hasn't before, its about him not beign able to do things he has in the past. Whether it be injury, the so called "offense" we are running or whatnot, I can't think of one entire game this whole season when Mike has looked remotely comfortable and in rhythm.

Last year Mike did just fine -- take him back in a blink at a mere 21ppg. Most of his shototing percentage woes -- and doesn't 43% sound just peachy right now -- were due to shooting so many threes. This year is something different entirely. When a career 17ppg scorer on 44% shooting and 37% 3pt shooting is now averagin 17ppg on 36% shooting and 26% 3pt shooting, its not about him trying to do things he hasn't before, its about him not beign able to do things he has in the past. Whether it be injury, the so called "offense" we are running or whatnot, I can't think of one entire game this whole season when Mike has looked remotely comfortable and in rhythm.
I don't know if I agree. Bibby last year was the #1 scorer out of necessity and I don't begrudge him that, but it was never ideal. A leading scorer shooting 43% is not something any team strives for, at least not a good team. He fell into patterns where he had one really good game and two bad games. I think last year he went over his head out of necessity, but Bibby as a leading scorer was really, really ugly. And now he's fallen into some really bad habits accordingly, looking way too much for his own shot. With the rise of Kevin Martin as the best offensive option it doesn't make sense for Bibby to still try to be the first offensive option -- he should be trying to set Martin up, as he did with Peja in 03/04 and 04/05, looking for his own shot second or third.

When a career 17ppg scorer on 44% shooting and 37% 3pt shooting is now averagin 17ppg on 36% shooting and 26% 3pt shooting, its not about him trying to do things he hasn't before, its about him not beign able to do things he has in the past. Whether it be injury, the so called "offense" we are running or whatnot, I can't think of one entire game this whole season when Mike has looked remotely comfortable and in rhythm.
Bibby used to get open shots and not force the issue. He's trying to be a first option and "be the leader" on this team.

Last year the offense was run with him getting higher percentage shots. He'd run around and get 3 screens and shoot the ball. It was ugly. Really ugly and he was simply dominating the ball on offense. Now he's not getting the same looks and he's still chucking.

If you can't see that he's not taking smart shots - especially compared to the looks he's had in the past, then I truly think you aren't looking objectively at it.

With the rise of Kevin Martin as the best offensive option it doesn't make sense for Bibby to still try to be the first offensive option -- he should be trying to set Martin up, as he did with Peja in 03/04 and 04/05, looking for his own shot second or third.
I'm not sure that Martin is the "best offensive option" yet, but he should definitely be the outlet at every opportunity. He's a high percentage shooter, but he's just like Peja in that he isn't the world's best creator.

Bibby is best when he doesn't touch the ball a lot on offense. He doesn't distribute and can't dribble all that well (for a PG). Which is why Miller has such high true value on this team, he can find players. But, that's just a stopgap and won't get Martin many open looks, but he will get a few slasher points.

So, I'm going back to OLD FAITHFUL here (I advise you to put your ear-muffs on if you don't want to hear it): Martin will play best, and has played his best, when we have post options on the floor. Players will have to double down on these players or sag in on them to deny them the ball which gets Martin open. When we abandon the post and ask Bibby/Martin to shoot us into games, we have real offensive woes.

When the shots go in, they are suddenly a lot smarter.

But in any case, he's not hitting shots, smart, dumb, or otherwise.
Not really. Last year I'd near scream everytime he'd jack a transition 3. They kept going in ... but I didn't like the shot. It's a poor shot. It's a stupid shot that has a high percent chance of turning into 2 the other way real quick.

Plus, stupid shots from a PG become selfish shots real quick. That's when other players start to become selfish and stupid. The PG dictates that stuff because he dictates the offense. If he plays really dumb ... the rest of the team will follow suit really quick.

A

AriesMar27

this teams offense has no identity....... bibby had a lot of open looks against the suns but the shots werent going in...