Grant Napear Must Go

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
does anyone here have league pass? ive heard some of the worst play by play guys ever from other teams. grant by far is the best with the exception of mike breen who does it for the knicks on his spare time
My wife and I couldn't agree with you more. We watch every game on Direct TV NBA package. Grant and Jerry are by far the best game announcing team on TV. Mike Breen is fabulous as an announcer, maybe the best. But the blunt Grant and home spun Jerry are the best of all NBA announcer teams. They are just pure fun to watch and listen to. :D

well said CruzDude

My wife and I couldn't agree with you more. We watch every game on Direct TV NBA package. Grant and Jerry are by far the best game announcing team on TV. Mike Breen is fabulous as an announcer, maybe the best. But the blunt Grant and home spun Jerry are the best of all NBA announcer teams. They are just pure fun to watch and listen to. :D
I heard a great many also and Grant and Jerry ain't bad.

I do think that you can get a bad impression of Grant if he addresses you as "MORON" on his radio show.:eek:

Y

y2kings

During the games, Grant does a great job of being objective. Listen to the warriors, rockets, magic, heat, celtics, bulls, lakers, blazers, broadcasts. They all have horrible homer play by play announcers. During the games, Grant is much better than most in the NBA. Having league pass gives you a new prespective.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If you guys have to continue this discussion, I think you should make an effort to clarify WHICH Napear you're talking about. There's JR (Jim Rome) Napear, who wants more than anything else to be seen as a hard-hitting, cutting edge sports talk show host. Then there's HD (Homer Deluxe - or Howdy Doody) Napear, who is a spokesman for the Kings and tries his best to make sure the fans stay involved during the game).

Two totally distinct creatures...

JR or HD?

I don't get how anyone can like Grant Napear unless your over 75 and you think he's witty, and full of spunk.......
I like Grant ok and I'm not over 75 nor do I necessarily think he's witty and full of spunk.

But I understand who he is and what is job is.

On his TV game broadcasts, he's a professional with an opinion. Do you expect a professional with no opinion? Or do you expect a professional with YOUR opinion? I think he does a good, professional job calling the games and I enjoy listening to him.

On his radio show, it's a different gig. He's a guy with strong opinions who takes calls from largely idiots, and once in a great while, someone with something interesting to say. So, what kind of talk-show guy do you want? A guy with no opinions? Or a guy with only YOUR opinions?

On his radio show, he's a "Personality". Which means he gets people stirred up to call in or listen. Whether they love him or hate him, it's only about how many listen to him.

I don't expect Grant to mimic my own opinions. I don't expect him to have any especially expert opinion either. He sometimes knows stuff about the Kings, sometimes he doesn't tell what he knows, sometimes he guesses. I think he's pretty clear when he's telling you something he knows vs. his opinion.

does anyone here have league pass? ive heard some of the worst play by play guys ever from other teams. grant by far is the best with the exception of mike breen who does it for the knicks on his spare time
Yes, I have League Pass and have heard some horrible broadcasts. I'll take Grant and Jerry over 90% of those guys.

i like grant. however, i haven't had as much exposure to him as most of the people on this board. i've never heard him to PBP during a game, i've only been able to listen to live stream of KHTK online

(THANK GOODNESS khtk is finally streaming online!!!! i love it!)

I like Grant ok and I'm not over 75 nor do I necessarily think he's witty and full of spunk.

On his TV game broadcasts, he's a professional with an opinion. Do you expect a professional with no opinion? Or do you expect a professional with YOUR opinion? I think he does a good, professional job calling the games and I enjoy listening to him.

On his radio show, it's a different gig. He's a guy with strong opinions who takes calls from largely idiots, and once in a great while, someone with something interesting to say. So, what kind of talk-show guy do you want? A guy with no opinions? Or a guy with only YOUR opinions?

On his radio show, he's a "Personality". Which means he gets people stirred up to call in or listen. Whether they love him or hate him, it's only about how many listen to him.

I don't expect Grant to mimic my own opinions. I don't expect him to have any especially expert opinion either. He sometimes knows stuff about the Kings, sometimes he doesn't tell what he knows, sometimes he guesses. I think he's pretty clear when he's telling you something he knows vs. his opinion.
Exactly......well said

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

While I agree with a lot of what you've said, and think it actually falls into the same area as my JR vs. HD comments, I would like to make one point:

He's a guy with strong opinions who takes calls from largely idiots, and once in a great while, someone with something interesting to say.
Every talk show has a call screener, someone who answers the phone, determines what the caller is going to be talking about, and puts them on hold. Grant knows ahead of time which call is going to be an "idiot" - and he chooses to take some of those calls, knowing full well he'll be able to ridicule the person on the other line.

now why exactly are we trying to get rid of grant? and how can the TEAM be shaken up when your getting rid of someone who doesnt even play?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Because we have to do something! Didn't you get the memo?

Does this mean you don't have your pitchfork sharpened?

Geez, I bet that means you don't even own a torch, doesn't it?

;)

While I agree with a lot of what you've said, and think it actually falls into the same area as my JR vs. HD comments, I would like to make one point:

Every talk show has a call screener, someone who answers the phone, determines what the caller is going to be talking about, and puts them on hold. Grant knows ahead of time which call is going to be an "idiot" - and he chooses to take some of those calls, knowing full well he'll be able to ridicule the person on the other line.
That's true. I think they even set up people to call in and be "The Idiot". The more "idiotic" the better.

Some people find idiots to be entertaining. :rolleyes:

I usually push the button on the radio and go back to The Razor and Mr. T.

And if that fails, the "CD" button.

I hate to be nit-picky

If you guys have to continue this discussion, I think you should make an effort to clarify WHICH Napear you're talking about. There's JR (Jim Rome) Napear, who wants more than anything else to be seen as a hard-hitting, cutting edge sports talk show host. Then there's HD (Homer Deluxe - or Howdy Doody) Napear, who is a spokesman for the Kings and tries his best to make sure the fans stay involved during the game).

Two totally distinct creatures...

JR or HD?
but there are actually 3 Grants...I'm partial to the Franken-Doody persona, I think one of our posters actually has this one as his Avatar.:D

I have to say this almost every year, as we see a post like this about Grant.

IMO: Grant is one of the best play by play guys in the NBA. (keyword one), I don't know anyone else that can get me so excited off of a basket/foul... His catch phrases are cool and he really gets excited when great plays happen and it shows/translates.

On the flip side. Radio show Grant, I haven't listened to for maybe over a year. He is horrible and I cannot stand him. I would go on to rant and say KOZ is the only 1140 host I can actually listen to and enjoy.

I like Krug and Town, however a lot dont... You can always turn the channel if you don't like someone. BTW Grant has one of the highest rated radio shows in SAC.

KNBR in the morning and late is the way to go. Damion Bruce at 9pm is awesome. He actually talks about sports.

I have to say this almost every year, as we see a post like this about Grant.

IMO: Grant is one of the best play by play guys in the NBA. (keyword one), I don't know anyone else that can get me so excited off of a basket/foul... His catch phrases are cool and he really gets excited when great plays happen and it shows/translates.

On the flip side. Radio show Grant, I haven't listened to for maybe over a year. He is horrible and I cannot stand him. I would go on to rant and say KOZ is the only 1140 host I can actually listen to and enjoy.

I like Krug and Town, however a lot dont... You can always turn the channel if you don't like someone. BTW Grant has one of the highest rated radio shows in SAC.

KNBR in the morning and late is the way to go. Damion Bruce at 9pm is awesome. He actually talks about sports.
Agreed, but I have my own opinions about Which Grant is the real person and it's the guy on his radio show. If I actually get into how I really feel about Grant I could be banned. Lets just say he's gutless... and has no loyalty... is a liar... is a coward... better stop.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Agreed, but I have my own opinions about Which Grant is the real person and it's the guy on his radio show. If I actually get into how I really feel about Grant I could be banned. Lets just say he's gutless... and has no loyalty... is a liar... is a coward... better stop.

KP, tell us what you really think of Napear. :p

Grant Napear is soo amazing at what he does, i mean to come up with catch phrases like "hope the sprinklers are workin cause Martin's on fire" just shows his pure intellect. And his refusal to stay consistent in his comments throughout the duration of the game exhibits his superiority of commentating.

Man do i wish i was Grant Napear so that i could live off the crumbs of the Maloofs by being a corny, talentless, brown-noser, and especiallly "objective" sports caster. One can only hope. :eek:

If I actually get into how I really feel about Grant I could be banned.
That's nothing, I hear some boards are REALLY restrictive about negative opinions. Like in Boston, you can't say a thing about their guy, whatsisname. You know, Potsie's dad.

I like Napear as PBP and on the radio show. I'm not a fan of Rise Guys. A lot of the time they're rambling/shouting/laughing at once and I can't understand how I'm supposed to be entertained or informed through the noise. And the sound effects can be irritating. Weren't they fired from another station before coming to 1140? I heard that somewhere.

And good win by the Kings tonight.

My problems with Grant have nothing to do with his opinions agreeing with mine.

My Issues are:

1. His opinions are paper thin and change depending on the politics surrounding him. In other words, you can't respect his opinions because he does not stick to them.

2. On a similiar note, he's two-faced. He presents this angry facade of being hard edged, but then he whimpers and bends over for others all the time. He paints players as saints when they are here, then trash talks them when they leave. It's not just done tmidly, it's done in very large extremes.

3. As an entertainer and show host, he's horrid. He has no charm, no humor, no wit and doesn't know how to make a show entertaining. The only time his show is good is when he messes up. All Grant Napear comedy is unintentional.

4. Tired old play by play phrases he feels he has to use in every game. You like them at first, but after a decade of hearing it you turn off the volume.

5. You know he could never handle even 10 minutes of unscreened calls. The quality of a show is always reflected by the callers, a sort of sampling of the quality of the audience... and well his callers suck.

Basically, for play by play, GG is 100x better. For a show host, Kozimor is 100x better. Grant just has seniority and no self respect, so it's like "Well... he's been here a long time He's a PR tool.. so we'll keep him."

Last edited:
I like Napear as PBP and on the radio show. I'm not a fan of Rise Guys. A lot of the time they're rambling/shouting/laughing at once and I can't understand how I'm supposed to be entertained or informed through the noise. And the sound effects can be irritating. Weren't they fired from another station before coming to 1140? I heard that somewhere.
THey've been in the radio biz for 20 years. Everybody gets fire atleast 3 or 4 times during that time. Remarkably they've only been fired once. (Being too old at then 93.7 KRXQ The Album Rock station in town)

Grant Napear is soo amazing at what he does, i mean to come up with catch phrases like "hope the sprinklers are workin cause Martin's on fire" just shows his pure intellect

Thats TURN THE SPRINKLER SYSTEMS ON BECAUSE KEVIN MARTIN IS ON FIRE!!!!!

How can you not like that?!:p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Napear is one of the most professional and balanced tv commentators in the league. Now i've never listened to the radio show, but I have NBA League Pass - and many big market cities have much worse commentators.

He isn't afraid to get on the refs, to reger to an early post, he is not a yes-man.
He has a lot of energy, even during losses.

I think he's as good as anyone else for a play-by-play. In terms of commentary, check out Marc Jackson of ESPN/NJ Nets.
Your whole problem is that you haven't heard his radio show. Until/unless you do, you cannot understand what people are trying to say.

:)