Bee: An opening thumbs down

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/70543.html

An opening thumbs down
By Sam Amick - Bee Staff Writer
Last Updated 2:44 am PST Thursday, November 2, 2006

MINNEAPOLIS -- One day before his debut as the Kings' coach, Eric Musselman watched on television as the Chicago Bulls dismantled the reigning champion Miami Heat by an astounding 42 points.

It was a defensive display of eye-popping proportions, prompting Musselman to ask his coaching staff one question about his team's opponent in the second regular-season game.

"I held up a sign that said, 'How are we going to score?' " he said.

The question, as it turns out, was premature.

And the early signs for the Kings didn't look too good.

Against a Minnesota Timberwolves squad that won't be found on any league list of defensive powers, the Kings missed the mark at Target Center on Wednesday. They fell 92-83 in a flurry of failed attempts that amounted to a 34.8 percent shooting night.

For all the defensive chatter, the Kings aren't likely to make a playoff push with offensive performances of this ilk. And that was with a full arsenal.

The triumvirate of Mike Bibby, Ron Artest and Brad Miller was intact because of Bibby's surprise start. True to his quick-healing form, he returned from his thumb injury 10 days after the team had estimated being without him for at least two weeks. Then he found his way out of the game, capping a poor shooting night by being ejected with 2:52 left in the fourth quarter and the Kings still within range at 83-77.

But in terms of offense, none of the three ever truly arrived. Bibby, Artest and Miller shot a combined 14 for 51.

The inaccuracy didn't stop there. All five of forward Kenny Thomas' misses came within two feet of the rim, and reserve center Maurice Taylor had similar problems in the paint, going 0 for 4.

Shooting guard Kevin Martin scored a team-high 23 points on 9-for-15 shooting, but he also had five turnovers.

"Thirty-five percent is pretty bad for us," said Miller, who was 3 for 11. "We had a lot of good looks. I missed like seven wide-open jumpers."

He wasn't alone.

"It was basically a bad game for everybody," said Artest, who shot 6 for 24 but grabbed 12 rebounds and made seven steals. "Brad missed a couple of shots he doesn't miss. ... Bibby missed some jump shots that he doesn't usually miss. Kevin missed some early, and he doesn't miss. Shareef (Abdur-Rahim) missed some shots that he doesn't miss."

Nothing like pounding a point.

Forward Kevin Garnett (24 points, 12 rebounds) and a late surge by guard Troy Hudson (11 of his 15 points in the fourth quarter) carried the T-wolves.

But for three quarters, the Kings followed through on the grind-it-out approach they had so often discussed. T-wolves guard Ricky Davis even compared the Kings' defense to an East Coast type -- not pretty, but plenty effective and aggravating for the foe.

The Kings survived a 16-point first quarter and trailed only 43-41 at halftime, with Musselman testing all sorts of lineups in an attempt to get things going.

"They played pretty good defense for a Sacramento team, brought a little of that East Coast defense," Davis said. "I don't know if that's because of their new coach over there, but it was good. I'm not used to seeing that."

The Kings were alive, too, because of ball control, with just six turnovers through three quarters. Six minutes into the fourth, the total had soared to 15.

There were bad passes by John Salmons, Abdur-Rahim and Bibby, an Abdur-Rahim offensive foul and a Thomas traveling call. The T-wolves capitalized for a 12-5 run and a 76-71 lead.

In the final six minutes, Martin had three turnovers as the Kings -- who scored only 17 fourth-quarter points -- finished with 18 turnovers.

"The fourth quarter was sloppiness, including myself," Martin said.

Game in review

Cheers

Shooting guard Kevin Martin spent much of last season struggling to produce on the road, but he made it happen against Minnesota with a 23-point night. His shot wasn't quite as accurate as normal, but he filled the stat sheet with tip-ins, a fast-break dunk and a few jumpers to hit nine of 15 shots.

Jeers

Granted, the officials have a much shorter leash on the players this season when it comes to arguing and attitude. But in his return from a thumb injury, point guard Mike Bibby's ejection with 2:52 left and the Kings trailing 83-77 was ill-timed and unneeded. He earned one technical for arguing a call, then continued long enough for Derrick Stafford to give him the heave-ho.

Player of the game

Troy Hudson was the virtual nail in the coffin, hitting three huge three-pointers in the fourth quarter and scoring 11 points in the period that the Timberwolves won 28-17.

Key stat

The Kings won the rebounding battle 51-38.

Injury report

Per Bibby's return, the Kings' roster is back at full health.

About the writer: The Bee's Sam Amick can be reached at samick@ sacbee.com.

Definitley a poor shooting performance last night... it seemed that kev was the only one who was really hitting shots although he did have 5 turnovers as well... we really need to recover from this game and go back out there on Friday and get us a win at Chicago.

"It was basically a bad game for everybody," said Artest, who shot 6 for 24 but grabbed 12 rebounds and made seven steals. "Brad missed a couple of shots he doesn't miss. ... Bibby missed some jump shots that he doesn't usually miss. Kevin missed some early, and he doesn't miss. Shareef (Abdur-Rahim) missed some shots that he doesn't miss."

Interesting that Artest didn't mention his starting PF who was abysmal from the field.

Interesting that Artest didn't mention his starting PF who was abysmal from the field.
Maybe he mentioned KT, but not in the kind of language they're willing to print.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

Oh for crying out loud...

He was 3 for freaking 8!

That is NOT enough shots to have an "abysmal" nght, unless you miss em all...He's one make away from a perfectly respectable 50%...And he wasn't chucking jumpers, he was trying to do stuff inside.

Im done though...No one had a good game.

It's not worth talking about anymore though...Everyone played bad, and everyone could be bashed for one thing or another...Let's just wait until tommorrow when we play the Bulls, and hopefully we have a better game!

GO KINGS!

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SLAB - Did you watch the game? Did you see how BADLY Kenny missed those inside shots? At least two of them I could have made...

You can be a Kenny Thomas apologist all you like, but please don't become a Hedoist in the process.

;)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well KT WAS only 3-8, and he's not supposed to be a primary or even secondary option for us. That's hardly worth noting, and hardly what killed us on offense. Ron and Brad and Mike and Kevin and SAR are supposed to be the scorers, so them missing is more a cause of concern. Its kind of like worrying about Ron omitting Mike when talking about a bad rebounding game for us.

Besides, Ron was back in exaggerate mode, and so everybody he mentioned had to get he designation "and he doesn;t miss those". Well, Kenny DOES, so he wouldn't have fit the statement anyway. ;)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
SLAB - Did you watch the game? Did you see how BADLY Kenny missed those inside shots? At least two of them I could have made...

You can be a Kenny Thomas apologist all you like, but please don't become a Hedoist in the process.

;)
Hey, Im not arguing he should have made the shots, I just noted he didn't take anough shots to warrent an "abysmal" night.

Trust me, Im definatly going to avoid the overboard standing up for KT...I know what he does and doesnt do, and when he doesnt do something he's supposed to do, then I'll be right alongside the people saying "He did __________ badly."

:)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well KT WAS only 3-8, and he's not supposed to be a primary or even secondary option for us. That's hardly worth noting, and hardly what killed us on offense. Ron and Brad and Mike and Kevin and SAR are supposed to be the scorers, so them missing is more a cause of concern. Its kind of like worrying about Ron omitting Mike when talking about a bad rebounding game for us.

Besides, Ron was back in exaggerate mode, and so everybody he mentioned had to get he designation "and he doesn;t miss those". Well, Kenny DOES, so he wouldn't have fit the statement anyway. ;)
Not to pick at nits or anything, but he SHOULD have been at least 5 of 8. It was how badly he missed a couple of close-up gimme's that got me upset. He put them up there like marshmallows and then got in Artest's face when Ron tried to tell him to show a little more authority inside when he's a foot from the basket.

Bibby played poorly and got himself kicked out of the game - but hey, let's talk about K9s poor attitude instead. Never mind that his hustle factor is second only to Ron's and he did pull down 10 rebounds last night.

K9 has facial expressions that many do not care for so he is clearly a cancer to the team and should be traded. Go ahead and make him your scapegoat for the season, because guess what - he does not care what you think.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And the fact he doesn't seem to care is one of things that I find so endearing.

:rolleyes:

He's being paid MILLIONS of dollars to play a game. Without the fans, he'd be flipping burgers somewhere. Excuse me if I'd like to see - JUST ONCE - something that resembles some kind of TEAM attitude from someone wearing the uniform of the team I've supported since 1985.

And with that comment, I'm bowing out of this discussion because I'm saying things I normally would not say. You guys want to put KT on a pedestal, that's your choice.

:rolleyes:

He's being paid MILLIONS of dollars to play a game. Without the fans, he'd be flipping burgers somewhere. Excuse me if I'd like to see - JUST ONCE - something that resembles some kind of TEAM attitude from someone wearing the uniform of the team I've supported since 1985.

And with that comment, I'm bowing out of this discussion because I'm saying things I normally would not say. You guys want to put KT on a pedestal, that's your choice.
ugh......... no comment. I don't put KT on a pedestal.......tried once but he made a face I didn't like and decided he wasn't a TEAM player on the pedestal I've supported since 1982.

If you do not like him that is fine, but do not say that he does not care. The dude hustles more than most on the team. There are players on the team that could take hustle lessons from K9.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bibby played poorly and got himself kicked out of the game - but hey, let's talk about K9s poor attitude instead. Never mind that his hustle factor is second only to Ron's and he did pull down 10 rebounds last night.

K9 has facial expressions that many do not care for so he is clearly a cancer to the team and should be traded. Go ahead and make him your scapegoat for the season, because guess what - he does not care what you think.

KT has been a grumpy cancer everywhere he has been. This is nothing new, as I tried to warn people about the day we traded for him. Philly probably had a limo waiting for him out back just to speed his beloved arse out of town. He's not grumpy about the Kings, or grumpy about the situation, he's just grumpy and largely self-centered by nature once he hits the court. Eternally concerend about gettting "his" you name it -- respect, shots, minutes, accolades, whatever. Its not going to change. And if it were the end all and be all of being a basketball player, he would be playng at the YMCA. Fortunately it is only one aspect -- (the aspect that makes you almost untradeable despite having decent talent).

KT has been a grumpy cancer everywhere he has been. This is nothing new, as I tried to warn people about the day we traded for him. Philly probably had a limo waiting for him out back just to speed his beloved arse out of town. He's not grumpy about the Kings, or grumpy about the situation, he's just grumpy and largely self-centered by nature once he hits the court. Eternally concerend about gettting "his" you name it -- respect, shots, minutes, accolades, whatever. Its not going to change. And if it were the end all and be all of being a basketball player, he would be playng at the YMCA. Fortunately it is only one aspect -- (the aspect that makes you almost untradeable despite having decent talent).
Brick with all do respect where do you get your information???? Billy King and the Philly players are very cool with KT. AI, Iggudala (sp?), Korver still all come to KT's Basketball camp every year. The issue was with O'Brian the whole team hated him. The team finaly got King to fire him but KT had already left town. Billy King is even quoted as saying he regreted trading KT and not firing OB earlier. Before that Philly tried for 2 years to get him from Houston but Houston did not want to let him go but they hd Mo Taylor and Griffen behind KT so Houston got a deal they couldn't refuse. Rudy T's comments where "Larry Brown owes me one for sending him that kid". Why do think he is a cancer because how he carries himself? Don't judge his locker room presence unless you have spent some time in the locker room. Again with all do respect your BB knowledge is awsome but your way off on this one.

I recall there was one play where KT was wide open, i mean no one within 10 feet of him and he blew the layup. He should have dunked it.

Not to pick at nits or anything, but he SHOULD have been at least 5 of 8. It was how badly he missed a couple of close-up gimme's that got me upset. He put them up there like marshmallows and then got in Artest's face when Ron tried to tell him to show a little more authority inside when he's a foot from the basket.
VF- are you sure that's what Artest was telling KT? I am just curious if you are just assuming or if we know that from somewhere for sure because I know we had another thread regarding that confrontation. Either way, it makes sense that he was saying something like that, but I was just curious.

VF- are you sure that's what Artest was telling KT? I am just curious if you are just assuming or if we know that from somewhere for sure because I know we had another thread regarding that confrontation. Either way, it makes sense that he was saying something like that, but I was just curious.
I would guess thats what he said, thats what I would of told him. I'm a charter Member of the KT apologist club. But dunk the ball KT Artest was right to get in his a#@! But not a bad teamate cause he did not want to hear it at that moment. He knows it!

Artest is continuing his pattern of poor shooting going back to last season's playoffs. He has to change his shot selection or else he'll hurt the Kings more than help them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I wasn't there, of course, but considering the situation I made a semi-educated guess.

Last edited: