Wells talk with Rockets

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Now way they would give up Head, nor do I think we could fit him under the tax threshold. And really, at this point not sure where he would fit in our already overstuffed backcourt. Be nice, but just such a jumble.

In any case, as I mentioned I think given the Battier for the #7 deal, asking for, and getting, a first is neither unreasonable nor unlikely. Bonzi is a major player in the league who just took one of the Rockets big instate and indivision rivals to the cleaners in May.

Last edited:
I'd hold out for the first, and we could probably get it. TMac/Yao/Battier/Bonzi is a tough squad with any kind of health. Would mean that Battier would probably end up playing a lot of PF, but when your PF position sucks as bad as the Rockets, that's not really a bad thing.
If we did get a 1st rounder, I would assume it would be a conditional one...lottery protected and all, of course.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
One of the importat considerations that Houston has is how to they TOP offers by Denver and other teams looking to pick up a steal by signing Bonzi for Vet Min or LLE. Houston CAN beat all oter offers but only if the Kings help them... hence the hold out for a first round pick. Why help out a divison rival for a second round pick? I'd rather see Bonzi go to Denver or Miami.

Bricklayer

One of the importat considerations that Houston has is how to they TOP offers by Denver and other teams looking to pick up a steal by signing Bonzi for Vet Min or LLE. Houston CAN beat all oter offers but only if the Kings help them... hence the hold out for a first round pick. Why help out a divison rival for a second round pick? I'd rather see Bonzi go to Denver or Miami.
Well Houston is no more a division rival than Denver is. Kind of on the same plane even. And they may be willing to give us something for him, which swings me around to having an active rooting interest in them getting him over the others. Besides, that will be a fun team to watch if they do, Van Gundt notwithstanding.

No way they would give up Head....
I often click to the most recent page of threads... and this is how page 3 of this thread starts.

Really fires the imagination.. wondering how trade speculations got to THIS point. I mean if we can't get a good basketball player for Kenny, Hart, Bonzi etc... well, Head would do nicely!

oh, there's a player with that name?... my bad.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Well Houston is no more a division rival than Denver is. Kind of on the same plane even. And they may be willing to give us something for him, which swings me around to having an active rooting interest in them getting him over the others. Besides, that will be a fun team to watch if they do, Van Gundt notwithstanding.
Sure but the Kings have no ablity to effect a Denver deal. Refusing to help Houston may or may not kill the deal with the Rockets but I see no reason to help them for less than a first rounder.

Now I do suspect that Bonzi will be LESS effective with Denver due to breathing problems and more likely personality conflicts, but in general sure Denver and Houston are about all the same to us hence the decision to ONLY bail out Bonzi and help Houston IF the pay off is nice, a second rounder would not be enough to get me to pick up the phone.

While the Kings are my team...I'm definately getting the NBA pass this season for the 1st time. You can catch some Bulls games on WGN in Sac and that should be fun to watch as well. There are lots of good teams to keep an eye on this year, especially Houston if they get Bonzi, Phoenix, Clips, etc. I found myself rooting for the Clips because they did better than the Lakers this year and you have to love that! :D I know they are our divisional rivals, but they have a fun team with Brand, Cassell, Cat, Cory, and the emergence of the young Shaun Livingston.

another question, to what extent could bonzi and yao's offensive games coexist? i guess bonzi can kind of drive but he plays mostly inside and hasn't proven he can hit consistent open jumpers. can this be problematic for yao passing out of double teams?

Bricklayer

another question, to what extent could bonzi and yao's offensive games coexist? i guess bonzi can kind of drive but he plays mostly inside and hasn't proven he can hit consistent open jumpers. can this be problematic for yao passing out of double teams?
People like to try to invent these issues. There is no issue. Its actually allowable in the NBA to have more than one post player on the team. Think its in the bylaws somewhere.

I will say this -- I actually do NOT think I would do this for a 2nd rounder. A second rounder from a Rockets team loaded up with TMac, Yao, Bonzi, Battier is practically worthless. Pick #50-55 in the draft or something, and oh yay, maybe a 5% chance to even stick in the NBA. Giving the Rockets the goods to kick our *** for such a piddly pick wouldn't be worth it unless we had IMMINENT plans to use that trade exception.

Do it for a first though, and wouldn't want to hear any bunk about it from the Rockets either. Bonzi is a better player than all but a handful of first rounders any given year, and certainly far more ready to help a seriosu team step up into contention. Put another way, if the Rockets felt that Shane Battier was worth the #7 pick in the draft, then Bonzi Wells is worth a first rounder as well.

TRUE ^^

This was my initial reaction as well -- Bonzi's not a good passer, he turns the ball over a lot and he's not a jump shooter. Yao's going to be stuck in the post and Bonzi's opportunities in the post or otherwise are going to be limited. But when I thought more about it I actually think he might be an ok fit. Bonzi's weaknesses on offense are minimized by the fact that he won't be doing much passing since Yao and McGrady will have the ball, and he also is the type of player who can contribute without the ball with his rebounding and hustling. So while he probably wouldn't score much, as long as the Rockets get the 05-06 hustling Bonzi he'd probably be a good fit.