All things Woods ...updated (merged)

Usually I would agree, but Woods' underachieving or low productivity has more to do with his attitude and the situation he's been in than his skill level. Hopefully his attitude will improve in Sac and if that does than I would expect to be quite satisfied with him as our backup center.
I didn't say I wouldn't hope. ;) :D

Because he hasn't gotten regular minutes anywhere. With the Kings he would get that. He also hasn't had guys like Artest and Musselman on his teams.
Dude how come every scrub we sign up will be a good pick up for us. Hart was supposed to be a great back up for Bibby last year and Sampson was going to address our rebounding and shotblocking last season.

Fact is, these guys are not good enough to be major players in ANY rotation. Simple sense tells you that if he couldn't get a regular game in Toronto of all places, then he is not much to write home about. I mean Rafael Araujo of all people was getting minutes before Loren. Fact is he is nothing more than a 12th man type of player. A 3rd big on a team whose job is to wave the towel and get into the game once in a blue moon.

If he couldn't get a regular game time in a struggling team like the raptors then what makes you or anyone else think he will get regular minutes in a team that is a play-off contender? He always been a scrub and will always be a scrub.

Musselman is no different to any other coach in the NBA that wants to win. That is, he alwasy play a solid veteran over a promising youngster. Nothing in his career to date suggests that he is rookie's coach. He plays them as a last resort unless they are exceptional talents. Thats no different to any other coach out there that wants to win. Being coached by Musselman and playing with Artest will do nothing to a 28 year old with questionable attitude and work ethic. If anything, it will see him stuck on the inactive list or at best riding the end of the pine.

Having said all that, I don't know what people expected. You can only get as good a quality as you are prepared to pay. We had change to offer and for that little money, you are not going to get quality. At least Woods is athletic and can block a shot here and there but if he is our regular minutes back up, then kiss goodbye any chance of play-offs next season.

It's not a bad signing, but I wonder...with the Woods signing, does Justin Williams or Louis Amundson have less chance of making the team? I'm not very high on Woods, but I will acknowledge that some of the stat lines he puts up once every 12 games are very impressive.

Dude how come every scrub we sign up will be a good pick up for us. Hart was supposed to be a great back up for Bibby last year and Sampson was going to address our rebounding and shotblocking last season.

Fact is, these guys are not good enough to be major players in ANY rotation. Simple sense tells you that if he couldn't get a regular game in Toronto of all places, then he is not much to write home about. I mean Rafael Araujo of all people was getting minutes before Loren. Fact is he is nothing more than a 12th man type of player. A 3rd big on a team whose job is to wave the towel and get into the game once in a blue moon.

If he couldn't get a regular game time in a struggling team like the raptors then what makes you or anyone else think he will get regular minutes in a team that is a play-off contender? He always been a scrub and will always be a scrub.

Musselman is no different to any other coach in the NBA that wants to win. That is, he alwasy play a solid veteran over a promising youngster. Nothing in his career to date suggests that he is rookie's coach. He plays them as a last resort unless they are exceptional talents. Thats no different to any other coach out there that wants to win. Being coached by Musselman and playing with Artest will do nothing to a 28 year old with questionable attitude and work ethic. If anything, it will see him stuck on the inactive list or at best riding the end of the pine.

Having said all that, I don't know what people expected. You can only get as good a quality as you are prepared to pay. We had change to offer and for that little money, you are not going to get quality. At least Woods is athletic and can block a shot here and there but if he is our regular minutes back up, then kiss goodbye any chance of play-offs next season.
lol

I just happen to disagree with you mostly on Woods, and Salmons if you're including him as a "scrub". I also never said it's a definite on Woods being something of decency here. I think he would get some regular minutes here though. I'm just keeping an open mind about them for the most part. Signing Woods likely isn't going to greatly effect us in a bad or good way.

Hart turned out not to fit in Adelman's system. I gave him 2-3 months, and gave up on him for the most part. With Musselman he would of fit better as strictly a ball-handler, defensive/hustle player. If he stays, he'd be that off the bench sometimes during the season. Pressure defense will require more use of the bench, specifically the guards here.

Disagree Loren Woods will be the reason we won't make the playoffs. I think we would with the team we have right now, and think it's being underrated to a degree actually.

So chap, for the most part, we agree to disagree here. :)

Last edited:
It's not a bad signing, but I wonder...with the Woods signing, does Justin Williams or Louis Amundson have less chance of making the team? I'm not very high on Woods, but I will acknowledge that some of the stat lines he puts up once every 12 games are very impressive.
If no other moves are made, then they would have less of a chance to make it. The team can only carry fifteen (and I'm not sure they'll carry that many) and he would make number seventeen.

I'm not sure this rumor is valid or not and I'm even less sure if any other moves will be made. Time will tell.

Time will tell, indeed ^. All the rest of this month and just about the whole month of september.

I personally think there will be more moves, and think signing Woods would trigger something else.

Far as Williams/Amundson goes, they still have their oppurtunity in camp, and it all depends on how the roster will be by October what their situation would be after camp.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been posted:
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/

Sam Amick said:
Forest for the tree
The Kings’ search for a big man has led them into the woods – Loren Woods, that is.

The 7-foot-2 free agent and five-year veteran worked out for the Kings last weekend, according to a team source. Woods, a second-round pick in the 2001 draft by Minnesota, played sparingly in Toronto the past two seasons. The Arizona product has rebounding and shotblocking capabilities that could come in handy if he flourished, but has always struggled to see court time.

His best season was in 2004-05, when he averaged 3.9 points, 4.9 rebounds and 15.8 minutes in 45 games. Since playing in 60 games as a rookie, the 45 games was his highest total.

Mostly, Woods could fit the bill as a relatively cheap, young, perhaps promising option for the team that has little financial room left before the luxury tax threshold hits and needs a big man to back up Brad Miller big time. They have already considered Michael Olowokandi, Kelvin Cato and Scot Pollard. But it looks like the Kings are headed for Woods.

Stay tuned.

lol

I just happen to disagree with you mostly on Woods, and Salmons if you're including him as a "scrub". I also never said it's a definite on Woods being something of decency here. I think he would get some regular minutes here though. I'm just keeping an open mind about them for the most part. Signing Woods likely isn't going to greatly effect us in a bad or good way.

Hart turned out not to fit in Adelman's system. I gave him 2-3 months, and gave up on him for the most part. With Musselman he would of fit better as strictly a ball-handler, defensive/hustle player. If he stays, he'd be that off the bench sometimes during the season. Pressure defense will require more use of the bench, specifically the guards here.

Disagree Loren Woods will be the reason we won't make the playoffs. I think we would with the team we have right now, and think it's being underrated to a degree actually.

So chap, for the most part, we agree to disagree here. :)
I haven't included Salmons into that mix. I have included Woods, Sampson and Hart.

You say Hart didn't fit in Adelman's system and would fit in Mussleman's system. Based on what? Pressure D? C'mon man, Hart couldn't fit into Gregg Popovich's system. A coach that absolutely loves pesky defensive guards. The only decent minutes Hart ever got in SA was back in 2003-2004 when SA was savaged by injuries to the PGs during the year. Simple fact of the matter is, that Hart is no NBA player. He is a borderline NBA player. A scrub that will either fill out a 12th spot for a good team or get regular minutes on a **** expansion team.

What I said in my post above is that any team where Loren Woods gets regular minutes will not make the play offs because he is NOT good enough. Never has been and never will be. If he in fact has signed on with us, he will be what Jamal Sampson was. An inactive player who is an extra body in practice sessions and might get a couple of minutes here and there in the blow out games.

There is a reason these guys don't get regular minutes anywhere they go and its because they are not good enough.

We don't need him for offense we have plenty of guys that can put the ball in the hole, so as long as he comes in and block shots and rebound which he can do then it's a great pickup. The Kings need shot blocking, rebounding, and athleticism and Loren Woods could bring all that to the Kings

I haven't included Salmons into that mix. I have included Woods, Sampson and Hart.

You say Hart didn't fit in Adelman's system and would fit in Mussleman's system. Based on what? Pressure D? C'mon man, Hart couldn't fit into Gregg Popovich's system. A coach that absolutely loves pesky defensive guards. The only decent minutes Hart ever got in SA was back in 2003-2004 when SA was savaged by injuries to the PGs during the year. Simple fact of the matter is, that Hart is no NBA player. He is a borderline NBA player. A scrub that will either fill out a 12th spot for a good team or get regular minutes on a **** expansion team.

What I said in my post above is that any team where Loren Woods gets regular minutes will not make the play offs because he is NOT good enough. Never has been and never will be. If he in fact has signed on with us, he will be what Jamal Sampson was. An inactive player who is an extra body in practice sessions and might get a couple of minutes here and there in the blow out games.

There is a reason these guys don't get regular minutes anywhere they go and its because they are not good enough.
1. I said what I said about Hart above, and from what I've gathered I feel that was the situation with him. I think now he wouldn't be used that much, if he stays, but as an extra defender and ball-handler off the bench sometimes during the season.

2. Disagree on the first sentence.

I think Woods will get some regular minutes here, so far. Potapenko I'm not sure on what he'll become of, his status is uncertain, but if he's still here, I'd assume he'd play back-up C over Woods. You didn't accuse me of saying this, but I'm gonna say it again, I don't think it is a definite Woods will be something above-average for us.

3. With Hart, I agree and already have made it clear for awhile he didn't fit and I was wrong about him. With Sampson, I agree, I didn't say or expect him to get regular minutes of any kind here last season. I expected him to play sometimes during the season, but that isn't regularity obviously. With Woods, as I've said, I'm keeping an open mind about him for the Kings.

Sam Amick said:
Forest for the tree
The Kings’ search for a big man has led them into the woods – Loren Woods, that is.

The 7-foot-2 free agent and five-year veteran worked out for the Kings last weekend, according to a team source. Woods, a second-round pick in the 2001 draft by Minnesota, played sparingly in Toronto the past two seasons. The Arizona product has rebounding and shotblocking capabilities that could come in handy if he flourished, but has always struggled to see court time.

His best season was in 2004-05, when he averaged 3.9 points, 4.9 rebounds and 15.8 minutes in 45 games. Since playing in 60 games as a rookie, the 45 games was his highest total.

Mostly, Woods could fit the bill as a relatively cheap, young, perhaps promising option for the team that has little financial room left before the luxury tax threshold hits and needs a big man to back up Brad Miller big time. They have already considered Michael Olowokandi, Kelvin Cato and Scot Pollard. But it looks like the Kings are headed for Woods.

Stay tuned.
Nice to read that, I'd rather we'd get Cato or Olowokandi. But, I'd be alright with Woods.

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
If Williams and Amundson can't unseat LW for a spot in the rotation they really have no future in the NBA.

If Williams and Amundson can't unseat LW for a spot in the rotation they really have no future in the NBA.
It might not be talent that would keep them from unseating him, it may simply be the lack of a roster spot. I actually think Amundson is pretty safe with his reported potential 3 year deal considering Price was only given a two year deal under similiar circumstances.

I think the roster situation will be more clear and situated by early October, and given what Williams has shown already, he should make the team as a result of both things.

Besides the source a couple other things seem fishy to me...

Why wait to make any announcement? Why not just let the cat out of the bag?
And why Woods. It's no secret that we need front line help but there are better potential signees than him... I THINK most could agree on that.

I'm kinda hoping this is a flat out untruth or there is more to this than what is currently apparent. I.e. trade etc.

Well, Amick of the Bee is more than just a rumor. If they did indeed make him an offer, they may be waiting on the league to approve it. No press conference till then. But even tho Amick is a decent source, even he is speculating based on what he heard from a source, at this point.

in Petrie we trust, wait for another year till Hart, Salmon & what was this new promising player's name again?... develope into star players.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Remember Diop. He was considered a bust until he was put in the right role at Dallas and became a legit contributor for them. Woods has the tools to fill a role position we happen to have open. If he fills his role as a shotblocker inside presence off the bench then job well done. I could care less if he takes a shot.