Wells, Nuggets eye sign-and-trade deal

I'm excited about KT! He whines and is not a team player...But the guy sure can rebound! He's a pesky defender too, cant really cover the big PFs, but knocks the ball away from em every now and then.

I'd rather Miller gets traded away then Thomas.
Tend to agree. Or at least Brad coming off the bench.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No, he really, really can't. Not on offense, not on defense. Nene's best case scenario is to eventually develop into a player who puts up Kenny Thomas numbers. The extra height and bulk means squat considering the guy can't block a shot, and doesn't do anything special in defending the post. He's got no game away from the basket and picks up garbage points inside. He was a downright embarassment against SA in the playoffs last time he played, and I don't see why that's going to all of a sudden change now that he's coming off a major surgery. There are a dozen big men who would play for the league minimum who would put up the Nene numbers if they had similar minutes. The guy is a waste of space, just because it's A LOT of space doesn't make him worth coveting.

Where did you hear this?

I would let Bonzi walk a thousand times before I even remotely considered taking on Nene at $10M a year.
Uh...have no idea which Nene you have watched, but there has NEVER been any question of him being a scrub or garbage scorer. Indeed the whole excitement about him coming in as a rook was that he was a big physical post player with a strong if simple post game. Also has quick hands and shows flashes of special ballhandling ability from time to time. Considerable skill for such a big guy. The questions about him would be the rebounding and shotblocking. But in his last season before the injury he appeared to have turned the corner into respectability in those areas (rebounding up to about 12/per 48, shotblocking to 1.8/per 48) and hence I think the big contract.

I expect him to have a pretty good season at least. You can't just look at his career averages and write him off, that's quite the one-dimensonal and lazy view.

R

Rome

Nene is a great player and ppl will soon realize why he got that contract.

Give the guy 32+ minutes and he will fill the stats sheet.

Nene is a great player and ppl will soon realize why he got that contract.
Nene will be an albatross around that team's neck.

Indeed the whole excitement about him coming in as a rook was that he was a big physical post player with a strong if simple post game.
My bad - I would tend to agree that he isn't your classic garbage man on offense, but I'd draw the line at mediocre and simple post game. His hands, however, are questionable, and his footwork in the post is downright awful. This guy's upside is not Hakeem. It's not even OP.

But in his last season before the injury he appeared to have turned the corner into respectability in those areas
Those numbers are skewed by the fact that he played so few minutes in that season before "the injury" - ironically, also a season riddled with injury.

He's this season's Tyson Chandler, his embarassing deficiencies just lie on the other end of the court.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
actuallythe Bonzi KT S&T sugestion is prety good. Not sure if it works out financially but since Nene is such a risk with potential I would only want to make a deal where we could shelter our down side. Bonzi's lost and KT is expendable. The real tric is some how geting a trade exemption so it works out under cap.

By the way, since I only see a handful of games every season, I thought it would be fair to quote someone who makes a living watching and writing about them.....

The scouting report on Nene is no secret: If he's more than 10 feet from the basket, let him shoot. Combined with his shortage of post moves, that makes Nene basically a garbage man, which is a tough role to play when you don't rebound.
But by all means, let's talk about the buzz that surrounded him as a rookie, and his 'potential'.

Don't the Kings need rebounding and interior defense? Nene does not and never will provide any of this.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
By the way, since I only see a handful of games every season, I thought it would be fair to quote someone who makes a living watching and writing about them.....

The scouting report on Nene is no secret: If he's more than 10 feet from the basket, let him shoot. Combined with his shortage of post moves, that makes Nene basically a garbage man, which is a tough role to play when you don't rebound.
But by all means, let's talk about the buzz that surrounded him as a rookie, and his 'potential'.

Don't the Kings need rebounding and interior defense? Nene does not and never will provide any of this.
Who made the quote?

gunks

Hall of Famer
Thats funny.

I never knew what the fuss was about with Nene...

...And with that contract he has now? His risk is starting to outweigh his potential IMHO.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Its unfortunate you chose to quote someone who apparently doesn;t understand basketball terminology.

If you can post a guy up, in a spot he likes, intentionally throw him the ball, and he can make a move and score with consistency, that's not a garbage man. That's an offensive weapon. That's also Nene. Amusingly, and here I will just have to assume this is one of the standard local beat writers with an axe to grind, its also exactly what basically ALL of the hype was about Nene in his first two years. The post game. A real post player, whoohoo! Wasn't much else to him. If he had actually been agarbage player, he probably wouldn't even still be in the league.

As for the shooting range -- the whole current fascination with big men with jumpers is laughable -- many of the greatest bigs to ever step on the floor couldn't shoot a jumper to save their life. And the three who won all of the titles in the post-Jordan era do almost all of their damage inside (Shaq, Duncan, Wallace). I could probably make a reasonable looking argument that having big men with jumpers is actually bad for chances of ever winning a title. And people wonder where all the great centers went -- well, they probably went outside to shoot jumpers like a bleeping pansyass shooting guard.

As for the rebounding/shotblocking -- I was a Nene sceptic, still am to some degree. When the buzz about him was still loud I was pointing early and often to his sad rebounding and shotblocking numbers as evidence he was a paper tiger. But then year 3 rolled around, and he put up these numbers:

23.9min 9.6pts 5.9reb 0.9stl 0.9blk

And it may have changed things. May well have gotten him this contract too. because you know what? All of a sudden those are not bad rebounding or shotblocking numbers per minute at all (nor bad scoring numbers). Actually rather resembles the sort of numbers Pollard used to put up for us (sans scoring of course). And so now there is hope. He was very young in yr 1 and yr 2. He progressed in yr3. Lost yr 4 to injury. Would not surprise me to see him come out and be solid on the galss and as a shotblocker from here on out. Never expect him to dominate in those areas. But if yr3 is any indicator of growing up/progressing, he could be solid.

Last edited:
Does anyone actually know if this trade is even possible? Nene signed with Denver, and I'm pretty sure its going to be a while before he's eligible to be traded.

As for the shooting range -- the whole current fascination with big men with jumpers is laughable -- many of the greatest bigs to ever step on the floor couldn't shoot a jumper to save their life. And the three who won all of the titles in the post-Jordan era do almost all of their damage inside (Shaq, Duncan, Wallace). I could probably make a reasonable looking argument that having big men with jumpers is actually bad for chances of ever winning a title. And people wonder where all the great centers went -- well, they probably went outside to shoot jumpers like a bleeping pansyass shooting guard.
Wow that really sounds like our boy Brad Miller the 7 foot guard, who does anything but guard in the paint, but boy can he shoot away from the rim for a big man. :rolleyes:

And the three who won all of the titles in the post-Jordan era do almost all of their damage inside (Shaq, Duncan, Wallace).
Wracking my brain, trying to remember the last time Wallace did damage (inside or out) on that side of the court. And I'd hardly agree that this description fits Duncan - he has an incredible mid-range game facing the basket that's equal to his post game.

And the center who won both titles in the middle of Jordan's eras had a great game away from the basket, even if his post game was better than the three you mention. But regardless, his game was based on skill and finesse, not just size and.... well, just size.

There is a post by Sam Amick in Kings Blog at Sacbee.com.
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/003585.html

And here's the article

August 08, 2006
Where's Bonzi?
Has Bonzi Wells found a new team yet?

Feel free to e-mail in and let me know. I’ve been burning a bit of vacation time, but didn’t get any news releases or calls to that effect. Last I heard, Wells and his agent, William Phillips, had - according to one Western Conference general manager - hit the free agency period looking for a $10 million annual salary and a five-year deal, this for an almost 30-year-old who missed 30 games to injury last season and is only one year removed from a time when character issues still surrounded his name.

Hmmm. Wonder what’s taking so long?

As was the case when negotiations began on July 1, the only way Wells is going to find any sort of big payday is through a sign-and-trade, which Phillips insists is still a possibility. But on numerous occasions, Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie has indicated that he’ll only do so if he receives someone to make a significant difference. Or maybe not. Maybe the Kings would play hardball in not offering Wells the money he wanted, then bring aboard mediocre talent just to push them over the luxury tax threshold of which they’re not too far from now. I’m picking the former.

According to numerous agents and league sources, the Wells camp inaccurately gauged his worth on the current market and may have felt entitled because of other deals done (see Peja Stojakovic, Wells’ former teammate, signing for five years and $64 million with New Orleans). Perhaps, as the Rocky Mountain News has suggested, he’ll take a one-year contract at the $3 million-per-year range with the Denver Nuggets to, essentially, delay his free agency and try again next offseason.

- Sam Amick

I would guess that the Nuggets must have found somewhere to ship off KMart, and/or are making room for Bonzi. It only saves them about 1 million off the luxury tax, so sending one of the guys who plays at the position where you are the thinnest for a guy who plays where you already have a solid 3 man rotation doesn't make much sense unless they are really worried about KMart and Camby missing time from injuries. Otherwise it looks like they might be making room for another trade to me.