Wells, Nuggets eye sign-and-trade deal

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_4890428,00.html

Bonzi Wells turned down a five- year, $36 million offer. Now he's eyeing the Nuggets, who are concerned about the luxury tax. It doesn't appear to be a merger with a good chance of happening. But both sides are looking into it.
William Phillips, Wells' agent, said Wednesday he has had discussions with the Nuggets this week about the free agent shooting guard. Wells recently rejected a deal to return to Sacramento at a starting salary of about $6 million.
"It's just as strong as from the beginning (of free agency)," Phillips said of the Nuggets' interest in Wells. "We're focusing on a sign- and-trade."
Phillips wouldn't name players who have been discussed. Nuggets director of player personnel Mark Warkentien declined comment.
The Nuggets wouldn't mind trying to get Wells for a one-year, low- dollar deal, giving him a chance to test the market again next year.
But Phillips said his concern now is putting together a sign-and- trade.
Wells made $8 million last season. After he turned down their offer, the Kings last week signed guard John Salmons.
"We just didn't get to the number (Wells wanted)," said Phillips, not offering details. "I believe we can still get to that number."
The Nuggets have the $5.2 million midlevel exception, which is less than what Wells rejected. The Nuggets are being cautious because they are $3 million from the luxury tax.
Nuggets free agent forward Reggie Evans is said to be seeking an amount around the midlevel exception, further complicating matters. The Akron (Ohio) Beacon Journal reported Evans met with Cleveland on Tuesday.

"It's just as strong as from the beginning (of free agency)," Phillips said of the Nuggets' interest in Wells. "We're focusing on a sign- and-trade."
Doesn't sound too convincing.

Phillips really screwed up. Won't be surprised at all if he's fired after these turn of events, that is if a better deal doesn't come along.

In order for a sign and trade to happen Wells' agent is going to have to do alot of work because the Kings are about 2 mill away from the luxury tax level. He's going to have to bring in a 3rd team who's willing to take on one or two of our expiring deals in order for us to take back a contract for Bonzi's. The only person on Denver's roster right now who is making enough money to work in this trade is Camby(who I would take) but he's got another 3 years and about 25 million left on his deal and is not the most healthy of individuals.

Good luck Bonzi but I think you a screwed and you have no one to blame but your agent.

At this point it makes one wonder if Bonzi would take the MLE($5.2) + $2 Million a year for 5 years... that way the Kings could scoop up a Nugget worth about 2 mil a year plus the trade exception. Am I completely lost as it is only 6:35am? Or am I thinking of this correctly?

At this point it makes one wonder if Bonzi would take the MLE($5.2) + $2 Million a year for 5 years... that way the Kings could scoop up a Nugget worth about 2 mil a year plus the trade exception. Am I completely lost as it is only 6:35am? Or am I thinking of this correctly?
I'm pretty sure the trade exception(if the Nugs have one) can't be combined with a player and that's way a third team would have to be involved. Someone can check but I think that was what I read in the Indiana/Harrington soap opera.

Only way I can see this happening is if the Nuggets finally realize that no one wants Kenyon Martin and they decide to dump Camby or Nene to clear some room to fill out their roster. If they were to give up Camby or Nene to the Kingsthey could sign Bonzi, sign Reggie Evans and whatever 7 footer is available and they might be better off than their current overpaid frontcourt and gaping hole at the 2.

Seriously doubt it though.

Denver is stupid, they need shooters. Bonzi hitting those 3's against San Antonio is a pipe dream. I think everyone watching that game was like no no no no no ... yes. Am I wrong?

If you can get Camby for Bonzi you do it first, no questions asked. Then you try to dump Hart, Corliss, Pot, etc to get under the tax threshold.

I am beginning to wonder if Bonzi's agent realizes the Kings pretty much are going to dictate any sign and trades; he can focus on and discuss a S+T all he wants but it has to make sense for the Kings.

Kenyon Martin makes absolutely no sense. Nene is a base year player (I think he signed his contract already) so that isn't going to happen. If it was Camby for Bonzi straight up, I'd do that in a heartbeat-and if I were Denver I wouldn't even consider it. Outside of that though, I don't see a whole lot decent options for the Kings to get back.

I am beginning to wonder if Bonzi's agent realizes the Kings pretty much are going to dictate any sign and trades; he can focus on and discuss a S+T all he wants but it has to make sense for the Kings.

Kenyon Martin makes absolutely no sense. Nene is a base year player (I think he signed his contract already) so that isn't going to happen. If it was Camby for Bonzi straight up, I'd do that in a heartbeat-and if I were Denver I wouldn't even consider it. Outside of that though, I don't see a whole lot decent options for the Kings to get back.
Actually, if the Kings could find a taker for a contract in Charlotte or Atlanta or a team with a trade exception, a Nene S&T could definitely work. Something like this:

Sacramento outgoing:
Bonzi - S&T @ $6.25 million
Pot + 2nd round pick to Atlanta - $3.6 million
Total outgoing: $9.85 million

Sacramento incoming:
Nene - $10 million
Total incoming: $10 million

Denver outgoing:
Nene - $5 million (BYC number)
Totaly outgoing: $5 million

Denver incoming:
Bonzi - $6.25 million
Total incoming: $6.25 million

Of course, this depends on Bonzi accepting a deal starting at $6.25 million, but at this point does he have a choice?

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I doubt if there is much to this, I think it is just more Phillips PR trying to create interst elsewhere, but if Denver did do it they would be NUTS. But hey if it landed a legit big for Sacramento then go for it!

I guess I stand corrected. It could happen. And if that were a scenario that presented itself, you'd be a fool not to do that.

In either case (Bonzi for Camby or Nene) Denver is giving up a lot.

Denver is stupid, they need shooters. Bonzi hitting those 3's against San Antonio is a pipe dream. I think everyone watching that game was like no no no no no ... yes. Am I wrong?

Word. You nailed it.

Miller can't really shoot.
Boykins is average.
Carmelo, as good as he is, likes his SHOT way too much and has his occasional 2-14 shooting nights.

Is Voshon Lenard still even alive?

Actually, if the Kings could find a taker for a contract in Charlotte or Atlanta or a team with a trade exception, a Nene S&T could definitely work. Something like this:

Sacramento outgoing:
Bonzi - S&T @ $6.25 million
Pot + 2nd round pick to Atlanta - $3.6 million
Total outgoing: $9.85 million

Sacramento incoming:
Nene - $10 million
Total incoming: $10 million

Denver outgoing:
Nene - $5 million (BYC number)
Totaly outgoing: $5 million

Denver incoming:
Bonzi - $6.25 million
Total incoming: $6.25 million

Of course, this depends on Bonzi accepting a deal starting at $6.25 million, but at this point does he have a choice?
Nope. not gonna happen.

Why?

Because it makes too much sense. GMs don't deal when it makes sense. Think of something really far-fetched that no one thought of before, and that'll be more likely to occur than the sweet deal of yours, which I might add, I am a very big fan of.

Because it makes too much sense. GMs don't deal when it makes sense. Think of something really far-fetched that no one thought of before, and that'll be more likely to occur than the sweet deal of yours, which I might add, I am a very big fan of.
To be fair, this deal doesn't really make sense. It makes gads of sense for the Kings but not a whole lot for Atlanta and little or no sense for Denver. I have a hard time believing Denver would value Bonzi greater than Nene.

If you can get Camby for Bonzi you do it first, no questions asked. Then you try to dump Hart, Corliss, Pot, etc to get under the tax threshold.

Definitely. I'd absolutely love it if we got Camby. If we don't deal Brad, one of them would be a great back-up, both could use one anyways and both would get good minutes.

Last edited:
I bet they want to give us Kenyon. Doubt Petrie wants to take on that big contract though, so they'd have to take KT back and give us a ton of draft picks.

Camby or Nene would be great but that's their starting frontcourt. Their core is basically Melo/Nene/Camby with the first two as the future of their franchise.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Camby is one of the best centers in the league....In the 50 or so games he plays a season.

I would rather we got Camby too though, as I dont really understand why everyone gets all wet over Nene (I know, potential).

Plus if Camby ends up on the Kings all his DNPs will give Justin Williams (should he make the roster) more PT!

Brad doesn't work as a 4 in general anymore.

If we got Camby and still had Brad, it'd be one of them coming off the bench, but both getting good minutes. I'll take Camby's 60-65 games (average of 65 over the last 3 seasons) for what the guy brings to both ends of the court.

Brad doesn't work as a 4 in general anymore.

If we got Camby and still had Brad, it'd be one of them coming off the bench, but both getting good minutes. I'll take Camby's 60-65 games (average of 65 over the last 3 seasons) for what the guy brings to both ends of the court.
Camby would start IMO. Too good to be off the bench.

That's what I'd prefer, and is better than Brad overall anyways. Aside from his awesome energy, defense, and rebounding, Camby's jumper is legit, gets hustle points all over the place, and he's a decent passer as well.

To be fair, this deal doesn't really make sense. It makes gads of sense for the Kings but not a whole lot for Atlanta and little or no sense for Denver. I have a hard time believing Denver would value Bonzi greater than Nene.
Sure it does.

Denver can't get rid of Kenyon Martin. They happen to have one of the best trio of bigs in the league while having a hole at the Off Guard position that's the size of Texas. Having a back up big is nice and all, but it's not as much of a priority than having a Shooting Guard that can play. Or having one at all, for that matter.

So, since Camby's contract is too big and most likely won't fit with Bonzi's... that leaves only one logical option possible. Some sort of deal involving Bonzi and Nene. Plus fillers if needed here and there.

Last edited: