Napear Says "Kings Should Sign Scot Pollard"

Would you sign Scot Pollard to the Veteran Minimum of $1.75 million?

• Total voters
R

Rome

Nah I don't want to see Pollard in a Kings uniform next season. I'm pretty sure we can find someone better at this point.

Nah I don't want to see Pollard in a Kings uniform next season. I'm pretty sure we can find someone better at this point.
The guy in your avatar smoking and all would be good, he sure changed our team around for the better when he came to us from the Lakers. ;)

Can we find someone better? Pollard was good for the Pacers when J'O and crew were out... I don't really think the Kings have many options. He is a fan favorite, a serviceable big man, good attitude, and may be re-energized being back in Sac Town...

I think Grant sees a new color guy in his future in the Tom Tolbert, goofy tall white guy mold. Maybe Scot could have some of the same success, and Grant could hitch a ride onto some national brodcast games. Also could do a lot for the radio show replacing Lamb with Scot.

I'm all for it though, I'd rather listen to Scot and Grant than Jerry and Grant.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I love Camby, he sure if fun to watch, even if he doesn't play the whole season. He is the athletic guy that I'd love to see in a Kings uniform.

Why is it that we still need to address the most glaring weakness on our team as in prior years and only have the LLE $ to spend on it. Do we honestly expect that this will do it? We lose Bonzi for nothing and nobody wants KT, the teams that do don't have or going to give us the guy we need. So barring a big trade like Miller for Camby or Dalembert, etc what hope do we have? Barring the big trade to get what we need, we have scraps in $ left to spend to stay under the cap and can pick from very green youngins in Justin Williams, or others that come to our camp, and the trio of Kandiman, Cato, and Wright. I see why so many people are upset with Petrie spending $25M/5 yrs for Salmons, he does play 3 positions which is invaluable, but we need to address our 4/5 weakness, and unless we trade Bibby, Miller, and/or SAR with scrubs, we aren't going to get the impact player we need, unless of course the Maloofs open up their wallet and spend to get what we need. Dallas, SA, Miami have a 3-4 7 footers or near 7 footers, we have 1 that plays like he's 6' 8" and a PF that is 6' 7" and tries to play bigger.

I love Pollard, but unless we can sign him to the league veteran min than we'll have to pass. We already have Corliss who is a chearleader off the bench and a locker room jem. We also have the best fans in the league so why do we need cheer leaders on our roster, we don't need them, we need results on the court not rah rah guys that ride the pine. :D

What gets me so ticked is that Petrie admits that we will suck in rebounding more this year than next and last year we were one of the worst. How does this "minor" detail lend itself to us being an elite team? It would be nice to have a trio of 7 footers as the other elite teams in the league, but I'll take 1 or 2 that play 7 feet or near physically, not being a tweener like KT trying to play like you are 6'10" or above. Every year we know we need this and don't get it, when will this stop and we finally make the big trade to bring in what we need???
Don't be so sure that Corliss is just a "cheerleader" next season. You may be very surprised.

Actually Scot is still a serviceable big man and his 4.8rpg in 17mpg sound really good to me. He injuried a lot two last seasons though but at minimum it's not a question: you take any help you can get. Also there's a msitake in the poll. Minimum salary for Scot as a vet with 9 year of experience will be 1,071,000, not 1,75 mln.. And in team salary (for LT purposes) only 719,000 (a minimum salary for 2-year vet) will be included.
1.75 means LLE and I probably use it on Scott as well if nobody else is available. Though there's rumblings that Wolves will get Wright for LLE.

Last edited:
Yeah about Wright... I'd like to see us get him, if not him, then Cato, then Kandi. Then after them comes Voshkul and Pollard.

Last edited:
Okay, once again - I'm torn. I would vote "no" but not because "he can not stay healthy."

I just don't think he'd do the job we really need to have him do...and I do not want to see the small group of Kings fans who turn on our own using Scot as the latest target for their ire.
Exactly how I feel. He had his time with us, he's changed and the team has REALLY changed since he was last in uniform for Sacramento. When he was here, we loved him for what he did and didn't care about his limitations. If he came back people would be pointing out his mistakes and what he can't or doesn't do instead of just rooting for him.

It's a new era and we need to find someone new.

When he was here, we loved him for what he did and didn't care about his limitations. If he came back people would be pointing out his mistakes and what he can't or doesn't do instead of just rooting for him.
Most people didn't give a damn about Skinner's limitations and wanted him to get much more playing time. Why not with Pollard?

Bottom line, there are at least 4 guys we can get that would be better defensive bigs than Pollard. One of them with more than just defensive ability.

Bottom line, there are at least 4 guys we can get that would be better defensive bigs than Pollard. One of them with more than just defensive ability.
I would love Wright for LLE but I doubt Kings can get him for that: T-Wolves can offer him a starting spot. Kings could probably work out a S&T for Hart (allowes his salary to be $2.26mln.) and a couple of second-rounders. Though Memphis has Stoudamire, Lowry and now Atkins. Hart wouldn't even be a 3rd stringer there.
Cato? He took a big step back last year. It sure was because of injuries but he's simply declining as well.
Olowocandi? Not sure he's better than Pollard at this moment: he's better offensively but worse on D than Scott.
Who else is left?

Yeah, Wolves have the advantage in the starting spot. But we have an advantage as well in that Musselman knows Wright :p. Who knows, I'm still gonna hope we get him till he's signed by another team.

Cato? Yeah, he had an injury ridden season. But, he is rehabbing the ankle, as he said. He can still help the interior defense with his size, presence, and rebounding.

Olowokandi. Big, long, rebounds and will block shots. Most importantly, be a presence in the paint.

Jake Voshkul. This isn't just some big stiff who didn't play for Phoenix. He defends pretty well in the post, has a legit jumpshot, is a good rebounder, plays hard, and has nice size at 6'11" 250. Proved me wrong when I saw a bunch of the Bobcats last season.

Pollard. Is Pollard, and not what he was. Still can d up, get some boards, and use his size, sure.

Those are our realities right now for the LLE for big men. If were going to use the LLE, which I suspect we will, one of those guys will be signed for it.

Last edited:
scot in damaged goods... you'll be luck to get 44 games out of him at this point... someone like cato or kandiman will be more servicable for the LLE...

scot in damaged goods... you'll be luck to get 44 games out of him at this point... someone like cato or kandiman will be more servicable for the LLE...
Olowokandi played 36, 43, 62 and 48 games last four seasons; Cato played 27 games last season. They are definitely ironmen compared to Pollard,aren't they? :rolleyes:

Pollard. Is Pollard, and not what he was. Still can d up, get some boards, and use his size, sure.
When I watched Pollard as a King that was his game. How then is he not what he was?

Olowokandi played 36, 43, 62 and 48 games last four seasons; Cato played 27 games last season. They are definitely ironmen compared to Pollard,aren't they? :rolleyes:

When I watched Pollard as a King that was his game. How then is he not what he was?
He's been lesser since he left us, because of age and injuries. I didn't say every game or most games like with us, but can still bring those things to a degree. Hence, Pollard is not what he was.

Anyway, I'd still take any of the other 4 over Pollard because of that and what I said about them. If the case now and recently with Pollard was not the case, it'd be different. But it's obviously not.

Cato, Voskuhl, Olowokandi, Pollard.

As bad a guy as he is, I would prefer Danny Fortson. Another problem child but at his best 3X the rebounder of any of them. He's having some contract issues with Seattle from what I read, so why not? We believe in fixing problem personalities.

He's not an FA though. What those guys and Wright were in discussion about is getting them for the LLE. Which we could very well do.

Aside from that though, I'd be fine getting Fortson. He's a great banger and hustler, just gotta dislike his constant foul trouble and attitude toward the refs. Not sure where he'd fit with KT here. Fortson's too small height wise to be a regular back-up center.

I'd do KT for Fortson though, as Fortson is an expiring deal.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer

The only thing is that it is well known that Scot has a pre-existing back condition. The others sat out for different reasons.

The only thing is that it is well known that Scot has a pre-existing back condition. The others sat out for different reasons.
Here's a list of Pollard's injuries:
Apr 10, 2006: Missed 1 game (plantar fasciaitis).
Apr 9, 2006: Plantar fasciaitis, day-to-day.
Apr 7, 2006: Missed 2 games (sore left foot).
Apr 4, 2006: Sore left foot, day-to-day.
Mar 21, 2006: Missed 3 games (foot injury).
Mar 17, 2006: Foot injury, day-to-day.
Jan 27, 2006: Missed 10 games (back injury).
Jan 13, 2006: Back injury, day-to-day.
Jan 8, 2006: Missed 1 game (flu).
Jan 5, 2006: Flu, day-to-day.
Dec 4, 2005: Missed 5 games (stomach virus).
Nov 25, 2005: Stomach virus, inactive list.
Nov 9, 2005: Missed 3 games (calf injury).
Nov 1, 2005: Calf injury, inactive list.
Mar 22, 2005: Missed 1 game (sprained right ankle).
Mar 20, 2005: Sprained right ankle, day-to-day.
Feb 11, 2005: Missed 1 game (back injury).
Feb 9, 2005: Back injury, day-to-day.
Jan 21, 2005: Missed 1 game (back injury).
Jan 19, 2005: Back injury, day-to-day.
Jan 14, 2005: Missed 20 games (back injury).
Nov 28, 2004: Back injury, day-to-day.
Nov 23, 2004: Missed 6 games (back injury).
Nov 10, 2004: Back injury, day-to-day.
Nov 9, 2004: Missed 1 game (back injury).
Nov 6, 2004: Back injury, day-to-day.
He missed 10 games 'cause of his back last season after 29 in the previous one.