What's in the Black Box?...

http://www.nba.com/news/blackbox_060628.html

Commissioner Stern to open box at 11:30 a.m. ET on June 28
What’s In The Black Box?
On June 28, NBA Commissioner David Stern will introduce the NBA's newest employees, as he announces the Class of 2006. Before that, however, he will unveil the contents of the black box below -- sure to change the way you see the game. Check back Wednesday at 11:30 a.m. ET to see what's in the black box.

Well..it's a gimmick to make people to watch the Draft. Whatever..any smart ideas you guys can come up with? :D

It's hard to be certain when all I have to look at is this picture (which has no definite indicators concerning size) but my guess is that it's about the size of a basketball.

So the NBA will announce that the most advanced scientific laboratories in the nation have devised a way to implant a computer chip in a basketball. This chip will report very precise GPS location information, allowing TV broadcasters to display a "comet-like" tail behind the ball.

This will make it easier for fans watching televised broadcasts to follow the basketball as hockey players pass it back and forth and shoot it into the net. Oh, wait, wrong sport. Sorry :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Here's the text of the article from the hoopsworld rumor mill section:

Not quite sure why this has not gotten more press, but the NBA will be using a new basketball design next season. The new ball is no longer going to be leather, rather a composite surface, and has a strikingly different look. One of the side effects of this new non-leather ball will likely be the decrease in shooting percentages, as the ball tends to “bobble” out a touch more than the normal NBA ball. The new ball was used exclusively at the NBA pre-draft camp. The new ball is also featured in print on the cover of the NBA’s 2006 draft guide. Ironically, neither the NBA nor Spalding has put out a release on the new ball yet. There had been rumors of the new ball design for the past few months - it was surprising to see it in use in Orlando, especially without any press on the new ball or its features – but it’s coming.
I didn't notice much of a difference in the pre-draft camp games I watched on ESPNU.

new ball design? dammit...i'd say larry bird is rolling over in his grave, but he's not dead.

what's the point? i agree with whoever posted above about being sick of the nba's gimmicks. the article above mentions that shooting percentages are likely to drop, but it doesn't mention any positive features. just that it looks different and isn't made of leather. if there's no obvious benefit, but there is an obvious downside, then why mess with something that has worked just fine for the past 60 years?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
There's a picture on hoopsworld. I was just too lazy to upload it to photobucket and re-link it...

I suspect the answer to this might really be pretty simple... and I suspect Stern will have an explanation.

Remember, this "story" is from the rumor mill part of hoopsworld. They've obviously jumped the gun on this. It's still round, it still bounces, etc. I don't see the reason for the panic... at least not yet.

I mean it seems like all the rule changes etc. that have been made in the last decade have been to make the game more offensive, therefore more exciting. Making a ball bouncier where you may get *the bounce* less often on a shot, would make it LESS offensive. Guys would have to find a new touch that have been doing it for 10 years professionally. I just don't get that premise.

Here are the two changes:

#1. Instead of the Jerry West logo, it'll have David Stern's face with a big schmoozey smile on it. It'll give Mark Cuban and Dirk a bull's eye for when they want to kick the ball again.

#2. For you conspiracy theorists, there will be a computer chip/magnet that will allow David Stern to control the ability of the ball to either go in the hoop or repel away from the hoop. This way he can plan years ahead of who he wants to match up in the Conference Finals and NBA Finals and ultimately who he wants to win.

The reason for the change is obvious. The new ball is cheaper.

David Stern probably successfully bid on a huge cache of slightly used rubber kickballs on e-Bay. I read that American kids are no longer allowed to play kickball anymore because of all the liability and personal injury lawsuits. Kickball has been deemed to be too dangerous by the American Bar Association.

Last edited:
Look, I know this is just nitpicking, but that basketball is just WAY unconventional. Why change the basketball which has remained the same for years and years.

It could just be Stern pushing the LeBron and Wade era down our throats.

Or it could just be a big picture of him on the ball. Who needs Jerry West?

The reason for the change is obvious. The new ball is cheaper.

David Stern probably successfully bid on a huge cache of slightly used rubber kickballs on e-Bay. I read that American kids are no longer allowed to play kickball anymore because of all the liability and personal injury lawsuits. Kickball has been deemed to be too dangerous by the American Bar Association.

along with almost every other sport we used to play as kids. no wonder our kids play way too much video games, it's the only thing still allowed at schools.

personally, i think there's a rattlesnake in the box. if they don't play by the rules, it'll come out and bite players in the ___________.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I thought that was dodgeball? Is it kickball now too? I'm an overgrown child, playing in two adult kickball and one dodgeball leagues this summer. I hope sports aren't outlawed in school by the time I have kids of proper age.

The ball looks a little different, perhaps a tad like the new soccer ball that uses larger sections to make a more uniform and rounder ball. As long as it has minimal impact on the game I could care less. At least the colors are the same.