NFL 2024-2025 Thread

With the injuries and Trent & Aiyuk re-signing so late I thought this had all the indications of a big let down season for the Niners. Still definitely time to turn things around, but I won't be surprised if this ends up being a really disappointing year where they miss the playoffs. If so, I wonder if Shanahan is let go. There seems to be some frustration among the Yorks with the current regime.
Yeah, Losing to the VIkings away was somewhat understandable, but the Rams are missing their #2 and #3 players on offense - and the 49ers defense got abused in the 2nd half.....yes a chunk of it is losing Greenlaw for running game, but the DBs are no bueno, and they've neglected them in the draft by making poor/average looking picks. 49ers may have been able to win if Bell focused and did his job, but its wholly looking bad - losing to the injured Rams is a warning sign. Their offense can pull it together some, but the defesne doesn't look like it.

This may affect Purdy's contract/resigning too even though its not really on him. 49ers get a poor Patriots offense at home - see how that goes.

With the injuries and Trent & Aiyuk re-signing so late I thought this had all the indications of a big let down season for the Niners. Still definitely time to turn things around, but I won't be surprised if this ends up being a really disappointing year where they miss the playoffs. If so, I wonder if Shanahan is let go. There seems to be some frustration among the Yorks with the current regime.
There’s going to have to be big changes soon. Purdy’s massive deal, Trent on his last legs, so many holes around the elite pieces but the elite pieces don’t seem to be covering it anymore.

I don’t think Shanahan gets the axe if this season tanks, but can he head a rebuild under the weight of a massive QB contract?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
We already know that the Yorks will blow up a good thing for personality reasons (Harbaugh) so I wouldn't rule it out, but I think letting Shanahan go would be a monumental mistake on their part. If Jimmy G doesn't overthrow Emmanuel Sanders they might be Super Bowl champs in 2020. If Spencer Burford doesn't miss his assignment in OT they might be Super Bowl champs in 2024. Who knows what happens in 2023 against the Eagles if Purdy's arm still works.

Even in the game today, all of the drops were what stalled out the offense not the play calling. He's putting guys in position to win and making the right calls -- which is everything short of actually throwing the ball and catching it himself.

We already know that the Yorks will blow up a good thing for personality reasons (Harbaugh) so I wouldn't rule it out, but I think letting Shanahan go would be a monumental mistake on their part. If Jimmy G doesn't overthrow Emmanuel Sanders they might be Super Bowl champs in 2020. If Spencer Burford doesn't miss his assignment in OT they might be Super Bowl champs in 2024. Who knows what happens in 2023 against the Eagles if Purdy's arm still works.

Even in the game today, all of the drops were what stalled out the offense not the play calling. He's putting guys in position to win and making the right calls -- which is everything short of actually throwing the ball and catching it himself.

Yeah, people are getting silly again. It's not on Shanny and Purdy when Bell and Aiyuk have 5 combined drops that hit them squarely in both hands. What sort of playcalling/passing can help that?

Professional WR's need to catch the damn ball when you get 2 hands on it. Simple as that.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
On the bright side, Purdy is still looking like a franchise QB. I know people are still waiting for him to drop back down to reality.
Dude was out there scrambling 50 yards to try to find anyone open every other play and still somehow putting up a 300 yard, 3 TD, no INT gem, threw a flipping dart out to his WR for the potential game winner only to have the dude display Mikki Moore levels of stone hands, and is still somehow going to take most of the blame for this loss.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Dude was out there scrambling 50 yards to try to find anyone open every other play and still somehow putting up a 300 yard, 3 TD, no INT gem, threw a flipping dart out to his WR for the potential game winner only to have the dude display Mikki Moore levels of stone hands, and is still somehow going to take most of the blame for this loss.
If anything I'd say it's the strategy of letting key pieces of the defense depart (via trade or free agency) while paying all of the skill players on the offense top 5 salaries which is starting to look questionable. And it's hard to blame any one individual for that. Same with losing top coordinators to other teams year after year... This Niners front office has been a victim of it's own phenomenally successful development pipeline and unbeatable market economics.

I'm not writing off this season so early, not until we at least see the key injured guys return or we get news that they won't be able to. There's still a ton of time to turn this around and a lot of the holes can be filled internally.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
We’re in 2020 again. Except this time we come out of it with a guy on a 60 million dollar contract, and a bunch of aging injured former stars on massive deals.

Blow it up, the sooner the better.

If anything I'd say it's the strategy of letting key pieces of the defense depart (via trade or free agency) while paying all of the skill players on the offense top 5 salaries which is starting to look questionable. And it's hard to blame any one individual for that. Same with losing top coordinators to other teams year after year... This Niners front office has been a victim of it's own phenomenally successful development pipeline and unbeatable market economics.

I'm not writing off this season so early, not until we at least see the key injured guys return or we get news that they won't be able to. There's still a ton of time to turn this around and a lot of the holes can be filled internally.
"Writing off" - I'm getting closer - I've seen enough of the secondary plus the mediocre 2 LBs to show this team is gonna have problems against nearly every team it plays. The Patriots are a good litmus test - as they got wiped by the Jets 24-3 - the Jets defense crushed em.....if the 49ers defense gives up points in the mid-20s or higher at home it'll be a good indicator of just how poor they are.