Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Assume we will sign at least one of our pre-season guys with this. Maybe a more right-now move as well if McDaniels was 4.7m? If my tracking is right we have two contract spots open with this move.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

Sounds like we're going shopping for somebody in the UFA market?

Also, case of ownership cheaping out? Instead of just eating the McDaniels contract, forcing us to give up a 2nd? I assume we're just looking at vet min's to fill the spot, so we don't need the space.
We're hard capped because of DDR and we need someone that can actually play NBA minutes at the 4 right now.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hopefully something good comes of it.

So far the Kings gave up a 2nd pick to send Davion and Vezenkov to Toronto for McDaniels and now they've given up another 2nd round pick to get rid of McDaniels.

McNair doesn't have a great track record with the 2nd round picks he's actually made, but they DO have value, especially for a team paying Sabonis and Fox the max or close to it, as well as over $23M to DeRozan with Keegan eligible for an extension soon.

Hopefully something good comes of it.

So far the Kings gave up a 2nd pick to send Davion and Vezenkov to Toronto for McDaniels and now they've given up another 2nd round pick to get rid of McDaniels.

McNair doesn't have a great track record with the 2nd round picks he's actually made, but they DO have value, especially for a team paying Sabonis and Fox the max or close to it, as well as over $23M to DeRozan with Keegan eligible for an extension soon.
Yeah this is making me scratch my head. Sasha willingly left the NBA. Davion’s cap hit wasn’t outrageous, and he’s still a solid bench player.

Not really sure why we basically used 3 2nd round picks to dump Davion

Yeah this is making me scratch my head. Sasha willingly left the NBA. Davion’s cap hit wasn’t outrageous, and he’s still a solid bench player.

I'm not entirely sure what the math works out to being, but I think these had to happen in order to bring DDR in. And usually, any "cap dump" scenarios is predicated by cheap ownership wanting to save money.

I mean I’ve seen enough from Jones to know he has an nba future. He rebounds, passes and defends well. Is there any reason to do this now as opposed to next year? I don’t think he is going to blow up or anything, certainly not this year
Monte doesn't even have to do it now as well. This gives him wiggle room to see how it plays out this season. This might end up just being about wiggle room and better to get what was likely dead salary in his eyes off his books regardless. I'm still not totally sure what Monte's cap is. Spotrac still has cap holds for Ford and McGee on there. Monte still might have been trying to get under the luxury tax, if so, this did the trick.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

In order to re-sign Malik and make the sign-and-trade for DeMar the Kings had to be at or below the first apron. So I chalked up that initial salary dump as just the cost of doing business. But today's move needs to also be followed up by something that improves the team or it just looks like throwing away assets to get rid of McDaniels. I see the trade being reported as "opening up a roster spot" which is technically true, but the Kings already HAD an open roster spot. Now they have two.

I'm not entirely sure what the math works out to being, but I think these had to happen in order to bring DDR in. And usually, any "cap dump" scenarios is predicated by cheap ownership wanting to save money.
Yes, the first salary dump was definitely necessary to complete the DDR S&T. I'm not sure what's going on now. But I'd be very surprised (and disappointed) if it was just a cost saving move.

Monte kind of squashed himself cap wise during the run it back year. He put himself right at the luxury tax so he had two options, stay as is, or dump salary to make a move. He chose the latter.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Monte doesn't even have to do it now as well. This gives him wiggle room to see how it plays out this season. This might end up just being about wiggle room and better to get what was likely dead salary in his eyes off his books regardless. I'm still not totally sure what Monte's cap is. Spotrac still has cap holds for Ford and McGee on there. Monte still might have been trying to get under the luxury tax, if so, this did the trick.
Cap holds can be removed either by the player signing elsewhere or the team just renouncing their rights.

Sean’s tweet seems to indicate that a now move is coming though, at least that’s how I interpreted it. I assume we will know yet today or tomorrow if it’s an internal signing or FA deal of some sort

In order to re-sign Malik and make the sign-and-trade for DeMar the Kings had to be at or below the first apron. So I chalked up that initial salary dump as just the cost of doing business. But today's move needs to also be followed up by something that improves the team or it just looks like throwing away assets to get rid of McDaniels. I see the trade being reported as "opening up a roster spot" which is technically true, but the Kings already HAD an open roster spot. Now they have two.

Yes, the first salary dump was definitely necessary to complete the DDR S&T. I'm not sure what's going on now. But I'd be very surprised (and disappointed) if it was just a cost saving move.
Honestly, I'd be a little more disappointed if Monte didn't hold onto his MLE and let it ride. That could actually be of value during the season. Can the teams still use the MLE for trade during the season? There's nobody on the FA market right now worth more than a min. contract.