[NBA] 2024 Free Agency mega-thread

It’s too bad we don’t have the goods to trade for him.
I mean I think we do have the “goods” to trade for him but it wouldn’t be cheap. It’d have to be something like…

Kevin Huerter
Devin Carter
2027 or 2028 SAC 1st (2 years after 1st to ATL)
2029 or 2030 SAC 1st (4 years after 1st to ATL)
2031 SAC 1st or 2031 SAC 2nd (6 years after 1st to ATL; Otherwise, a 2031 SAC 2nd)

for

Lauri Markkanen

…that gives us the following roster…

PG - Fox / Monk
SG - Ellis / Jones
SF - Murray / Barnes
PF - Markkanen / Lyles
C - Sabonis / Len

It would suck to lose Devin Carter (since I’m very high on him) but we at least have Keon Ellis’ defense/length to hold down the SG spot. I think that’s a pretty darn attractive offer to a rebuilding team that is looking to move off of Markkanen.

Personally, I’d probably turn down that offer from a Kings perspective since I am so high on Carter (if we draft Knecht, I’d probably pull the trigger), but the point is that I think we do have the assets to trade for him. It will be interesting to see what he ultimately goes for though.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I wouldn't want to pay Hartenstein $30 million per year, but he and Valanciunas are two guys who really would have helped this team. That Valanciunas deal (3 years, $30 million) is the biggest blow so far (as in, I wish we'd made that deal) -- that guy on that contract is an absolute steal for Washington.

All these are such good value contracts. Can't believe we weren't in on any of them
why? Since when in 30 years have the Kings been a player in free agency.

when combined with Monte’s “skill” in picking players, the repeated selling of draft picks every damn year must be one of the dumbest strategies ever. We shall see if he can pull off the Ingram trade. If so my opinion may change but I’m not holding my breath as the only trades Monte can make is giving away draft picks for questionable assets.

I mean I think we do have the “goods” to trade for him but it wouldn’t be cheap. It’d have to be something like…

Kevin Huerter
Devin Carter
2031 SAC 1st or 2031 SAC 2nd (6 years after 1st to ATL; Otherwise, a 2031 SAC 2nd)

for

Lauri Markkanen

PG - Fox / Monk
SG - Ellis / Jones
SF - Murray / Barnes
PF - Markkanen / Lyles
C - Sabonis / Len

It would suck to lose Devin Carter (since I’m very high on him) but we at least have Keon Ellis’ defense/length to hold down the SG spot. I think that’s a pretty darn attractive offer to a rebuilding team that is looking to move off of Markkanen.

Personally, I’d probably turn down that offer from a Kings perspective since I am so high on Carter (if we draft Knecht, I’d probably pull the trigger), but the point is that I think we do have the assets to trade for him. It will be interesting to see what he ultimately goes for though.
Also, it would be such a Monte move to trade for Markkanen when everyone is talking about Ingram. ;)

Kevin Huerter
Devin Carter

for

Lauri Markkanen

PG - Fox / Monk
SG - Ellis / Jones
SF - Murray / Barnes
PF - Markkanen / Lyles
C - Sabonis / Len

That’s a lot to lose on our end though. I can see the appeal of Ingram. Expiring, would require less assets, and he’s no scrub himself. Injury and defense are my only concerns with him. Markkanen would fit better I think. Slides Keegan to the forward position and suddenly we find ourselves a bigger team overall.

Kevin Huerter
Devin Carter

for

Lauri Markkanen

PG - Fox / Monk
SG - Ellis / Jones
SF - Murray / Barnes
PF - Markkanen / Lyles
C - Sabonis / Len

If including Carter gets Lauri done, you do it. It's a hell of a risk, with Lauri being a UFA, but I think we're starting to see how important having team control is going to be to keeping your stars and balancing this new CBA. Lauri is worth pushing all your chips in for.

That would take OKC out of the running for Lauri. Who are the teams that would consider making a push for him?

Ok here is my list

1) Indiana - Jarace Walker or Benn plus picks
2) San Antonio- tons of picks and a young player
3) Golden State - Kuminga and picks
4) Houston- Jabari? Or Eason and picks
5) Sac- Carter, Kev and picks
6) Orlando- just picks really

Last edited:
There is still like 200 picks in Presti's pocket. **** if we had Monte had 2 more years for rebuild he can do the same.
Monte never truly tanked for assets nor took assets into cap space for draft picks. Presti commited to a strategy and executed it. Monte explicitly never committed to any strategy.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If including Carter gets Lauri done, you do it. It's a hell of a risk, with Lauri being a UFA, but I think we're starting to see how important having team control is going to be to keeping your stars and balancing this new CBA. Lauri is worth pushing all your chips in for.
I would absolutely hate to lose Devin Carter. I am very high on him, and he's the archetype of guard you really want in your playoff rotation.

But maybe if you can move Barnes for another piece that gets rerouted to Utah instead?

I think Huerter for Beef Stew is going to be our “big” move. Then sign Highsmith to something reasonable. Put Stanley Johnson on the main roster. Grab some athletic center for backup rim protection. And then wait for next draft to push in all the chips.

I just don’t see a sustainable trade path to Lauri or BI.

I would absolutely hate to lose Devin Carter. I am very high on him, and he's the archetype of guard you really want in your playoff rotation.

But maybe if you can move Barnes for another piece that gets rerouted to Utah instead?
Yeah, I would too. Carter was like my favorite prospect in this draft, I think he's going to be a stud.

But that might be the price of getting a Lauri. He's a guy you shove all-in on and adding Carter would be shoving all in, for sure. I'd include either Keon or Carter to get it done.