Kings picking 13th overall (formerly the draft lotto thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please reread my comments.

What I'm highlighting is that it's more likely that the selected player will be out of the league or contributing to some other team, than being a major part of your team. Contributing to some other team may not always be bad, particularly if you have traded him to get something of value, but often, that's not the case.

Once again, I'm not against trading Davion. Quite the opposite in fact. From a value perspective, I think trading him for #22 is a bad idea. It helps Suns much more in the short and medium term, while promising us little in the long term.

Yes, I understand that he will need to get paid (someone else likely will if we don't, and we might lose him for nothing) as against the fact that the rookie scale contract will allow us to take a flyer on a young player, and hope he develops. That said, I do hope that we can combine some of our guard depth to get some FC help with some established players instead.

Needless to say, easier said than done.
You can say the same thing about Davion.

He could very well be contributing for another team next year considering he will be up for a new contract, and we would already have Fox, Ellis, Monk, Jones, and potentially #13 as our guards. He’s, at best, our 4th guard in the rotation and could be overtaken by Jones and/or #13 (if we use it on a guard) in the near future. How much are we willing to pay for that type of player vs. another team who could consistently use him in a 20 mpg role?

If we can get a solid asset for Davion, we have to seriously consider it (especially a pick as high as #22) considering our current roster construction and how strict the cap rules and aprons are going forward.

Also, these are players taken #22-#30 going back to the 2000 draft that seem like good returns.

• 2000: Deshawn Stevenson
  • 2001: Gerald Wallace, Sam Dalembert, Jamal Tinsley, & Tony Parker
  • 2002: Tayshaun Prince, Kristic, & John Salmons
  • 2003: Travis Outlaw, Kendrick Perkins, Leandro Barbosa, & Josh Howard
  • 2004: Delonte West, Tony Allen, Kevin Martin, & Beno Udrih
  • 2005: Jarrett Jack, Ian Mahinmi, & David Lee
  • 2006: Marcus Williams & Kyle Lowry
  • 2007: Jared Dudley, Wilson Chandler, Aaron Brooks, Aaron Afflalo, & Tiago Splitter
  • 2008: Courtney Lee, Kostas Koufos, Serge Ibaka, Nic Batum, & George Hill
  • 2009: Omri Casspi, Taj Gibson, & DeMarre Caroll
  • 2010: Trevor Booker, Quincy Pondexter, Jordan Crawford, & Grevis Vasquez
  • 2011: Kenneth Faried, Nikola Mirotic, Reggie Jackson, Norris Cole, Cory Joseph, & Jimmy Butler
  • 2012: Miles Plumlee
  • 2013: Mason Plumlee, Solomon Hill, Tim Hardaway, Reggie Bullock, Andre Roberson, & Rudy Gobert
  • 2014: Rodney Hood, Clint Capela, Bogdan Bogdanovic, & Kyle Anderson
  • 2015: Bobby Portis, Tyus Jones, Larry Nance, & Kevon Looney
  • 2016: Pascal Siakam & Dejounte Murray
  • 2017: Jarrett Allen, OG Anunoby, Kyle Kuzma, Derrick White, & Josh Hart
  • 2018: Aaron Holiday, Anfernee Simons, Mo Wagner, Landry Shamet, & Robert Williams
  • 2019: Grant Williams, Jordan Poole, Keldon Johnson, & Kevin Porter
  • 2020: Immanuel Quickley, Payton Pritchard, Jaden McDaniels, & Desmond Bane
  • 2021: Isaiah Jackson, Quentin Grimes, Bones Hyland, Cam Thomas, Day’Ron Sharpe, & Santi Aldama
  • 2022: Walker Kessler, Nikola Jovic, Peyton Watson

I think McNair is a pretty good drafter so I feel even better about his odds to find a cost controlled, diamond in the rough/rotational player than the average GM.

Last edited:
Please reread my comments.

What I'm highlighting is that it's more likely that the selected player will be out of the league or contributing to some other team, than being a major part of your team. Contributing to some other team may not always be bad, particularly if you have traded him to get something of value, but often, that's not the case.

Once again, I'm not against trading Davion. Quite the opposite in fact. From a value perspective, I think trading him for #22 is a bad idea. It helps Suns much more in the short and medium term, while promising us little in the long term.

Yes, I understand that he will need to get paid (someone else likely will if we don't, and we might lose him for nothing) as against the fact that the rookie scale contract will allow us to take a flyer on a young player, and hope he develops. That said, I do hope that we can combine some of our guard depth to get some FC help with some established players instead.

Needless to say, easier said than done.
most people like the value of Davion isn’t worth 22. In fact most won’t even trade a 2nd for him. This fact highlights the dangers of drafting under 6-3 guards into a crowded situation. Your ability to “sort it out” later is limited and you lose value.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
so you are saying every deal that occurs within minutes happened within those minutes. :rolleyes:
Now you're just arguing to argue.

You asked if the CBA allowed teams to sign-and-trade a player during this period. The answer is no.

If Monk wanted a sign-and-trade it wouldn't be announced as a re-signing now because turning it into a sign-and-trade would be clear evidence of tampering. Period.

so you are saying every deal that occurs within minutes happened within those minutes. :rolleyes:
You're missing the point.

Everyone knows tampering goes on. But the fact is we announced Monk resigning. If it were a s&T, the Pelicans would have had to talk with him before being "allowed"

Would be an open and shut tampering case. It's not happening.

Also, these are never reported as signings and then s&t later. If a guy is s&t, it's reported as such Initially. Not later

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Everyone knows tampering goes on. But the fact is we announced Monk resigning. If it were a s&T, the Pelicans would have had to talk with him before being "allowed"

Also, these are never reported as signings and then s&t later. If a guy is s&t, it's reported as such Initially. Not later
You’d think the fan of a team that got waylaid by the Bogi-Bucks tampering situation would understand this but you’d be thinking wrong

Now you're just arguing to argue.

You asked if the CBA allowed teams to sign-and-trade a player during this period. The answer is no.

If Monk wanted a sign-and-trade it wouldn't be announced as a re-signing now because turning it into a sign-and-trade would be clear evidence of tampering. Period.
so has anyone actually announced anything?

It would not be a violation for the Kings to say we will sign you as a sign and trade and help you get where you want. You can’t tamper with your own players.

now if they talked about a pre-arranged deal that would be tampering.

You’d think the fan of a team that got waylaid by the Bogi-Bucks tampering situation would understand this but you’d be thinking wrong
Guys you can’t tamper with your own player.

We can absolutely say (and I’m not saying we did ) we will work with you in a sign and trade deal, should one arise, so you can get to where you want. If that conversation is all that has officially occurred it absolutely is not tampering.

if the Kings and Pels got caught negotiating a deal it would be tampering. But no hint of any such talks have emerged.

Guys you can’t tamper with your own player.

We can absolutely say (and I’m not saying we did ) we will work with you in a sign and trade deal, should one arise, so you can get to where you want. If that conversation is all that has officially occurred it absolutely is not tampering.

if the Kings and Pels got caught negotiating a deal it would be tampering. But no hint of any such talks have emerged.
Then why would it have been announced that he intends to resign with the Kings? If the intention was to trade him, there's no chance it gets announced early.

You're wrong dude, let it go

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

This like already happened once to us and cost us DDV & Bogi leaving for nothing.

So, who do we like at 13?
With Monk back in the fold, i’m actually warming up to Holmes. I think he could be a nice complement to Sabonis and even spot him at times playing center. I watched some interviews of his and he‘s sharp.
Many think he could be had later in the draft but that’s tricky if he’s your guy. I also wouldn’t mind Holland if he falls. Think he’s got the defensive tools at a position of need too good to pass up.
The pick may not pay dividends for awhile, so also won’t be surprised if it’s traded.

You can say the same thing about Davion.

He could very well be contributing for another team next year considering he will be up for a new contract, and we would already have Fox, Ellis, Monk, Jones, and potentially #13 as our guards. He’s, at best, our 4th guard in the rotation and could be overtaken by Jones and/or #13 (if we use it on a guard) in the near future. How much are we willing to pay for that type of player vs. another team who could consistently use him in a 20 mpg role?

If we can get a solid asset for Davion, we have to seriously consider it (especially a pick as high as #22) considering our current roster construction and how strict the cap rules and aprons are going forward.

Also, these are players taken #22-#30 going back to the 2000 draft that seem like good returns.

• 2000: Deshawn Stevenson
  • 2001: Gerald Wallace, Sam Dalembert, Jamal Tinsley, & Tony Parker
  • 2002: Tayshaun Prince, Kristic, & John Salmons
  • 2003: Travis Outlaw, Kendrick Perkins, Leandro Barbosa, & Josh Howard
  • 2004: Delonte West, Tony Allen, Kevin Martin, & Beno Udrih
  • 2005: Jarrett Jack, Ian Mahinmi, & David Lee
  • 2006: Marcus Williams & Kyle Lowry
  • 2007: Jared Dudley, Wilson Chandler, Aaron Brooks, Aaron Afflalo, & Tiago Splitter
  • 2008: Courtney Lee, Kostas Koufos, Serge Ibaka, Nic Batum, & George Hill
  • 2009: Omri Casspi, Taj Gibson, & DeMarre Caroll
  • 2010: Trevor Booker, Quincy Pondexter, Jordan Crawford, & Grevis Vasquez
  • 2011: Kenneth Faried, Nikola Mirotic, Reggie Jackson, Norris Cole, Cory Joseph, & Jimmy Butler
  • 2012: Miles Plumlee
  • 2013: Mason Plumlee, Solomon Hill, Tim Hardaway, Reggie Bullock, Andre Roberson, & Rudy Gobert
  • 2014: Rodney Hood, Clint Capela, Bogdan Bogdanovic, & Kyle Anderson
  • 2015: Bobby Portis, Tyus Jones, Larry Nance, & Kevon Looney
  • 2016: Pascal Siakam & Dejounte Murray
  • 2017: Jarrett Allen, OG Anunoby, Kyle Kuzma, Derrick White, & Josh Hart
  • 2018: Aaron Holiday, Anfernee Simons, Mo Wagner, Landry Shamet, & Robert Williams
  • 2019: Grant Williams, Jordan Poole, Keldon Johnson, & Kevin Porter
  • 2020: Immanuel Quickley, Payton Pritchard, Jaden McDaniels, & Desmond Bane
  • 2021: Isaiah Jackson, Quentin Grimes, Bones Hyland, Cam Thomas, Day’Ron Sharpe, & Santi Aldama
  • 2022: Walker Kessler, Nikola Jovic, Peyton Watson

I think McNair is a pretty good drafter so I feel even better about his odds to find a cost controlled, diamond in the rough/rotational player than the average GM.
Well, it was Monte who drafted Davion :)

Jokes apart, I do agree with Monte being a good talent evaluator. Every GM will have some hits/misses, and sometimes the outcomes are a combination of a variety of factors beyond your control, and they can make you look like a genius/idiot. Overall, Monte has had an excellent record so far.

Impressive work on the list above. At the risk of being unnecessarily picky, I would like to highlight that out of 9 possible picks from #22 to #30, the count varies from 1 (2000, 2012) to 6 (2011, 2013, 2021), with an mean of 3.96. So, still less than a 50% chance of getting a useful player.

I will end the discussion from my side, since I'm not adding any useful information, and likely repeating myself. I understand that backcourt logjam needs to be cleared. I also believe that Davion is likely gone after this year, and it will probably be better to get something for him, instead of losing him for nothing.

The place where I differ is that I am hesitant to exchange him for #22 (or worse). I can understand that he might not be valued much higher, but I think that such a trade will not help us in any way. Yes, there is a chance we draft a useful player, but it's more likely that we are trying to see what we can get for the player we draft in a couple of years. I would rather do that now, not bother with getting and developing another young guy who will spend most of his time in Stockton, tantalize/frustrate fans, and then be considered as part of trade packages. Trading Davion for draft considerations would be my least favorite option.

Well, it was Monte who drafted Davion :)

Jokes apart, I do agree with Monte being a good talent evaluator. Every GM will have some hits/misses, and sometimes the outcomes are a combination of a variety of factors beyond your control, and they can make you look like a genius/idiot. Overall, Monte has had an excellent record so far.

Impressive work on the list above. At the risk of being unnecessarily picky, I would like to highlight that out of 9 possible picks from #22 to #30, the count varies from 1 (2000, 2012) to 6 (2011, 2013, 2021), with an mean of 3.96. So, still less than a 50% chance of getting a useful player.

I will end the discussion from my side, since I'm not adding any useful information, and likely repeating myself. I understand that backcourt logjam needs to be cleared. I also believe that Davion is likely gone after this year, and it will probably be better to get something for him, instead of losing him for nothing.

The place where I differ is that I am hesitant to exchange him for #22 (or worse). I can understand that he might not be valued much higher, but I think that such a trade will not help us in any way. Yes, there is a chance we draft a useful player, but it's more likely that we are trying to see what we can get for the player we draft in a couple of years. I would rather do that now, not bother with getting and developing another young guy who will spend most of his time in Stockton, tantalize/frustrate fans, and then be considered as part of trade packages. Trading Davion for draft considerations would be my least favorite option.
First off, if you agree that McNair is a good talent evaluator, then you would probably agree the odds are actually higher than 50%, fair?

Secondly, it’s not just about finding a useful player with #22. As you can see from the list I compiled, there’s a fair amount of starting caliber talent as well as all stars. That type of talent should be weighted in your 50% consideration especially when you’re giving up a 4th guard who will be coming off his rookie deal at the end of the season.

Lastly, you mention using who we draft at #22 in a future trade down the road and the at your rather just try to make that trade now. Why? We still don’t know what we have in Murray. Is he going to top out as a 3&D player? Is he going to develop into that 3rd star we need? We really need that question answered before we start surrendering assets for role players/complementary pieces. This trade allows us to maintain that asset (#22) and package it down the road if needed vs. forcing the issue and trying to make that move now.

Davion really turned the corner the last 3rd of the season. He finally figured out how to play off of Sabonis. Besides the solid shooting numbers (except for ?!!:mad::$/:&/!?!!! free throws), he starts making plays for other taking it to the rack.

Our 4 guard rotation is solid with Davion being #4. I can see him being a trade chip - but only if the Kings are getting a starter back (like 13, Davion and Duarte for Kuzma and 26). I think Davion will also be valuable at the trade deadline.
The idea is nice but in the end that's more of a luxury the Kings can't nor should attempt to afford, especially when the current result as is looks to be nowhere near contention. As the season wore on last year and the teams that were there at the end got bigger, the Kings had to get bigger as well. I'm not sure how Brown would have navigated things had both Huerter and Monk been there at the end of the season. Brown was already starting to ditch any combo that included Davion in 3 guard rotations because it was just too small. Davion is the type you don't hang onto as a 4th guard unless he really regresses. Once his contract is up if one team comes knocking you either overpay or he's gone. It's one thing when you have someone like Monk making 7 million a year as opposed to 20. The Kings are now nearing the apron territory. Time for Monte to condense.

I think the better question is who don't you like? Me? That guy the Kings just worked out apparently, McCain. At least not for the Kings. People had him mocked to the Kings as a Monk replacement, whelp, even at that he doesn't really bring anything to the Kings table they don't already have a ton of. Carter? Bub? I can still see a use for them. Not smallish shooters that play mostly off ball like McCain or Dillingham. McCain is a big body though, but I think he's probably going to be asked to slim down a little of that muscle mass at some point.

First off, if you agree that McNair is a good talent evaluator, then you would probably agree the odds are actually higher than 50%, fair?

Secondly, it’s not just about finding a useful player with #22. As you can see from the list I compiled, there’s a fair amount of starting caliber talent as well as all stars. That type of talent should be weighted in your 50% consideration especially when you’re giving up a 4th guard who will be coming off his rookie deal at the end of the season.

Lastly, you mention using who we draft at #22 in a future trade down the road and the at your rather just try to make that trade now. Why? We still don’t know what we have in Murray. Is he going to top out as a 3&D player? Is he going to develop into that 3rd star we need? We really need that question answered before we start surrendering assets for role players/complementary pieces. This trade allows us to maintain that asset (#22) and package it down the road if needed vs. forcing the issue and trying to make that move now.
If I had to bet, it would be Murray being a really good 3 and D wing, who can sprinkle in some other offensive game sometimes. I wouldn't bet on him developing a Paul George type of go to offensive variety.

Sure, we're all hoping he does, but I wouldn't bank on it at this point

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I will preface this with the caveat that I am an idiot, but here is how I see it:

I'll assume that there are seven players who have no chance of falling to #13 - Sarr, Risacher, Sheppard, Clingan, Buzelis, Castle, Knecht. So, of the players I list below, I suspect five of them will join those seven and be drafted in front of us. I'll break out the players I think should be candidates for our pick into two tiers, and into guard/wing/big categories.

Tier 1 Guard:
Devin Carter

Tier 2 Guard:
Nikola Topić
Rob Dillingham
Bub Carrington
Ja'Kobe Walter
Isaiah Collier
Jared McCain

Tier 1 Wing:
Tidjane Salaun
Ron Holland
Cody Williams
Terrence Shannon

Tier 2 Wing:
Tristan da Silva
Johnny Furphy
Kyshawn George

Tier 1 Big:
Zach Edey

Tier 2 Big:
Kyle Filipowski
Daron Holmes
Kel'el Ware

As you can see, I've got six players in the first tier, so in principle we should not need to dip into tier 2 here. But of course, we could trade down, etc.

As far as guards go, Carter will probably not be available. With Monk back, drafting a guard here would be a strange move, and would basically force us to trade not only Huerter but possibly Davion as well. I find Topic very hard to rank, as I haven't been able to see full game film and he is currently injured - I simply have him listed due to his reputation. I've placed Dillingham in front of Carrington because I think he has a higher floor. That said, I think Carrington may have the higher ceiling, and if we decided we had to take a shot at a guard despite our roster needs elsewhere, I'd go after Bub, but I feel like drafting him is kind of like closing your eyes, swinging as hard as you can, and hoping you make contact. The other guards do not seem reasonable to me at #13.

For wings, Salaun is another bit of a mystery - he didn't really pop statistically but he has the prototype big wing body (rare in general, and very rare in this draft) so he's a guy that you take and hope you can develop. I guess I believe a bit more in Holland than I do in Williams, but they are very close as longer-term development wings. Shannon is an older player, and a bit smaller (6'7" in shoes) but with his legal troubles behind him I think we have to look at his production - he is a walking bucket and plays with high energy and would immediately step into our rotation. I have da Silva in tier two - there's something to the Jaquez comparisons in a dude that can do everything, but I feel like one of Jaquez' best traits is how hard he plays, and da Silva always looks like he's coasting out there to me. Good player, but where's the fire? Furphy has a chance to be a very good shooter, but his measurements and athletic profile don't really pop. Kyshawn didn't really impress me as value at #13.

For bigs, I think I've already made the case for Edey. He put together advanced stats that are only paralleled by Duncan and Zion, and his reputation as immobile was belied by both his combine numbers and his effort against Clingan in the NCAA title game, where I think he came out ahead, even though Purdue didn't. There are obvious questions about how (or even if) he can be paired with Sabonis but the Kings need size, and the league is going to start building around young huge offensive centers like Wemby and Clingan. I think the small-ball trend is going to reverse somewhat. If Edey's there, he's my pick. Filipowski is next on my bigs list for his inside/outside game and passing ability and the fact that he's not going to be a defensive liability. Holmes is interesting, but doesn't fix our size issues, and Ware reminds me a bit too much of WCS for me to get too excited.

I will preface this with the caveat that I am an idiot, but here is how I see it:

I'll assume that there are seven players who have no chance of falling to #13 - Sarr, Risacher, Sheppard, Clingan, Buzelis, Castle, Knecht. So, of the players I list below, I suspect five of them will join those seven and be drafted in front of us. I'll break out the players I think should be candidates for our pick into two tiers, and into guard/wing/big categories.

Tier 1 Guard:
Devin Carter

Tier 2 Guard:
Nikola Topić
Rob Dillingham
Bub Carrington
Ja'Kobe Walter
Isaiah Collier
Jared McCain

Tier 1 Wing:
Tidjane Salaun
Ron Holland
Cody Williams
Terrence Shannon

Tier 2 Wing:
Tristan da Silva
Johnny Furphy
Kyshawn George

Tier 1 Big:
Zach Edey

Tier 2 Big:
Kyle Filipowski
Daron Holmes
Kel'el Ware

As you can see, I've got six players in the first tier, so in principle we should not need to dip into tier 2 here. But of course, we could trade down, etc.

As far as guards go, Carter will probably not be available. With Monk back, drafting a guard here would be a strange move, and would basically force us to trade not only Huerter but possibly Davion as well. I find Topic very hard to rank, as I haven't been able to see full game film and he is currently injured - I simply have him listed due to his reputation. I've placed Dillingham in front of Carrington because I think he has a higher floor. That said, I think Carrington may have the higher ceiling, and if we decided we had to take a shot at a guard despite our roster needs elsewhere, I'd go after Bub, but I feel like drafting him is kind of like closing your eyes, swinging as hard as you can, and hoping you make contact. The other guards do not seem reasonable to me at #13.

For wings, Salaun is another bit of a mystery - he didn't really pop statistically but he has the prototype big wing body (rare in general, and very rare in this draft) so he's a guy that you take and hope you can develop. I guess I believe a bit more in Holland than I do in Williams, but they are very close as longer-term development wings. Shannon is an older player, and a bit smaller (6'7" in shoes) but with his legal troubles behind him I think we have to look at his production - he is a walking bucket and plays with high energy and would immediately step into our rotation. I have da Silva in tier two - there's something to the Jaquez comparisons in a dude that can do everything, but I feel like one of Jaquez' best traits is how hard he plays, and da Silva always looks like he's coasting out there to me. Good player, but where's the fire? Furphy has a chance to be a very good shooter, but his measurements and athletic profile don't really pop. Kyshawn didn't really impress me as value at #13.

For bigs, I think I've already made the case for Edey. He put together advanced stats that are only paralleled by Duncan and Zion, and his reputation as immobile was belied by both his combine numbers and his effort against Clingan in the NCAA title game, where I think he came out ahead, even though Purdue didn't. There are obvious questions about how (or even if) he can be paired with Sabonis but the Kings need size, and the league is going to start building around young huge offensive centers like Wemby and Clingan. I think the small-ball trend is going to reverse somewhat. If Edey's there, he's my pick. Filipowski is next on my bigs list for his inside/outside game and passing ability and the fact that he's not going to be a defensive liability. Holmes is interesting, but doesn't fix our size issues, and Ware reminds me a bit too much of WCS for me to get too excited.
I've become a fan of Edey. Not saying he will be as good defensively as Gobert, but imagine Gobert with an offensive bag. Edey has a decent freethrow percentage and his shooting form looks pretty nice. From all accounts, he has an insane work ethic similar to Davion. Is he slow? Yeah, he is a giant. But he has better combine results than some of the best bigs in recent years. His agility numbers are better than or equal to people like: Bam Adebayo, Rudy Gobert, Steven Adams, Al Horford, Brook Lopez, DeAndre Jordan, Demarcus Cousins, Nikola Vucevic, Julius Randle, Pascal Siakam, John Collins, PJ Washington, Chimezie Metu, Nic Claxton, Neemias Queta, and Naz Reid. Hell, he had better numbers than many of the "better and faster bigs" in: Alex Sarr, Donovan Clingan, and DaRon Holmes.

Now, I'm not saying that he will be faster in game, that's different, that requires processing speed and reaction, but he has the raw numbers to prove he is not going to be the slowest person in the league. Zach Edey is a bit of a freak of nature himself. He is 7'4", with a 7'11" wingspan, 9'1" standing reach, and 300 pounds. To be able to move as well as he does at that size is pretty insane.

Last edited:
Who I like:

PG: Carrington (with Monk back only would happen if both Davion and Huerter are traded).
SG: McCain (the same).
SF: Furphy (long term, but I like him).
PF: Dunn (all prospects in this year have some weaknesses in their game. If he can be just passable at shooting he's a steal).
C: Filipowski. (I like him more than Holmes, Ware, Edey or Missi. Nice fit to continue the rol of Sabonis off the bench and maybe to play with him as the PF).

I have doubts with Topic, Holland, Cody Williams, Da Silva and Tyler Smith

I wouldn't like Ware, Edey, Salaun, Collier or Walter.

For our 2nd round I would like Klintmann if he falls or Freeman, McCullar, Ighodaro or Mogbo

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I think the better question is who don't you like? Me? That guy the Kings just worked out apparently, McCain. At least not for the Kings. People had him mocked to the Kings as a Monk replacement, whelp, even at that he doesn't really bring anything to the Kings table they don't already have a ton of. Carter? Bub? I can still see a use for them. Not smallish shooters that play mostly off ball like McCain or Dillingham. McCain is a big body though, but I think he's probably going to be asked to slim down a little of that muscle mass at some point.
I get this for McCain who can handle the ball a bit but will mostly be looked at in the NBA as a shooter. But Dillingham only played off the ball as much as he did because he was on a Kentucky team with a million other guards. He's one of the most (if not the most) dynamic off the dribble shot creator in this draft. To call him a smallish shooter is baffling to me. That's almost like calling Kyrie Irving a smallish shooter.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I get this for McCain who can handle the ball a bit but will mostly be looked at in the NBA as a shooter. But Dillingham only played off the ball as much as he did because he was on a Kentucky team with a million other guards. He's one of the most (if not the most) dynamic off the dribble shot creator in this draft. To call him a smallish shooter is baffling to me. That's almost like calling Kyrie Irving a smallish shooter.
He’s a smallish shooter in the same sense that Lakers Malik Monk was. His teammates didn’t give him the ball enough to do much other than spot shoot.

Got a chance to look a bit closer at Edey, since it does seem he's on our radar.

-Think there's virtually no chance he busts as an NBA player. He's too big and his mobility is good enough that he'll be able to stay on an NBA floor at least as a rotation player. Both on offense as post player and a defensive rim protector
-He's loves that left shoulder bump/right hook move. He spams it, but hey. It's so damn successful, why wouldn't you? Will need to see more creativity at the NBA level to really trust as an NBA starter.
-Can use the left hook, but clearly not as comfortable as he is with the right
-One of the most statistically dominant stat profiles I've ever seen from a college player:

65.9% TS
33.4% USG
10.8% TOV
14.6% Ast
22% TRB
.808 FTr (wut)

Absurdly efficient with the biggest workload in the country, doesn't turn the ball over, dominant rebounder, and shows he's a good passer out of the post. I get the contextual factors of him being so much bigger than everyone else, but 2 things: That's going to continue to be the case in the NBA and... these numbers still have to count for something. He just played the NCAA on rookie mode the last 2 seasons with these video game numbers.

-Defensively, he's an absolute wall at the rim. Very hard to move him off his spot and he really just has to get a hand up to get a good contest on any drive or shot. Again, he's such a smart player that he fully understands how to contest shots without getting into foul trouble.
-In space, he gets slow footed and will have possessions he just gets smoked. This will be one of his biggest hurdles in the NBA to prove; I think everyone knows he'll be a good-great rim protector, but the modern NBA requires bigs to at least have some ability to defend in space.

Overall, I think he's going to be a good pro, but I think he's a case where I would consider fit with us as a reason to knock him down a few slots. Unless we trust Domas to just go full C-Webb and transition as a 4 man, there's no chance both of them will be able to share the floor together. I don't know if Edey is a great stylistic fit either with Fox/Monk as a slower big that's not trying to get up and down the court. Purdue, as an example, was 204th in the country in possessions per game.

Carter
Knecht
Holmes
Da Silva
Edey
Bub

Is my ranking of guys I've taken a closer look at. Bub vs Edey is a real interesting conversation on shorter-term value of Edey locking up that back-up C slot and being able to contribute to winning right away vs Bub as an upside play, 2 years down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.