The LOLakers thread

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
If Russell opts out they have to either relinquish his hold or they are operating over the 2nd Apron in the meantime???

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The Pyper tweet sums up my true thoughts. I think JJ might actually have the tools but it won't be with the Lakers under the current roster, and so inevitably that means he likely gets canned after two seasons.

Plus they have a future interim in Brooks on the staff.

The Pyper tweet sums up my true thoughts. I think JJ might actually have the tools but it won't be with the Lakers under the current roster, and so inevitably that means he likely gets canned after two seasons.

Plus they have a future interim in Brooks on the staff.
I tend to agree with this as well. I think JJ will be too small for the large spotlight that will now shine down on him in LA. He maybe lasts 2-3 seasons in LA, but performs well enough under the given circumstances to be snatched by another team out there, and his time to flourish will then arrive.

This league has steadily grown into a “it’s not what you know, but who you know” league. It surely isn’t kind those who have put the time in and paid their dues all while gaining real-world experience.

Nope. Instead it’s “let’s take a flier on this former player because he’ll mesh with our stars”. That’s french for “kiss their *****”

IDK why the LA LeFraud’s don’t just give LBJ the title of player/head coach then call it a day.

What a waste of time.

Two things can be true; the Lakers may be foolish for hiring JJ Redick right now and Redick may someday be a very good head coach. He's got a great mind for the game. He embraces analytics but isn't utterly driven by them. He's a pretty natural teacher. The question remains if he's an effective motivator and if he can be successful wrangling big egos.

Unfortunately, the Lakers job represents a nasty crucible to figure out if Redick has what it takes as a coach. That organization is rather poorly-managed, with a too-many-cooks approach to team building, yet the expectations remain sky high, because it's Los Angeles. It's the Lakers. It's 17 championships and the Celtics just broke the tie. I expect Redick to fail, honestly, but I wouldn't necessarily fault him for it.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Two things can be true; the Lakers may be foolish for hiring JJ Redick right now and Redick may someday be a very good head coach. He's got a great mind for the game. He embraces analytics but isn't utterly driven by them. He's a pretty natural teacher. The question remains if he's an effective motivator and if he can be successful wrangling big egos.

Unfortunately, the Lakers job represents a nasty crucible to figure out if Redick has what it takes as a coach. That organization is rather poorly-managed, with a too-many-cooks approach to team building, yet the expectations remain sky high, because it's Los Angeles. It's the Lakers. It's 17 championships and the Celtics just broke the tie. I expect Redick to fail, honestly, but I wouldn't necessarily fault him for it.
Stop trying to be fair and rational! This is a time for knee-jerk ridicule damn it.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'd like to see Rondo get a assistant gig, I think he could eventually move to head coach one day too. Understands the game very well
I remember when he was on the Kings there was discussions he *wouldnt* thrive as a coach because he’s too smart for his own good. Think it was radio talk, but he naturally understands certain things about the game, and it’s foreign to him why others can’t see it his way. Instead of being able to coach / teach it’s like “Why can’t you just do it / see it like I do.”

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I remember when he was on the Kings there was discussions he *wouldnt* thrive as a coach because he’s too smart for his own good. Think it was radio talk, but he naturally understands certain things about the game, and it’s foreign to him why others can’t see it his way. Instead of being able to coach / teach it’s like “Why can’t you just do it / see it like I do.”
it's fine to be a know it all but it's how you present what you know to your players in a non-demeaning way and in a way where they will prosper under your tutelage that makes or breaks a coaches prospective career

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

Lakers are in the second apron so they literally can’t trade for Grant unless they decide to move one of AD or Lebron for him thanks to how their roster is set up and the fact Grant is making a crapton of money.
Well, when LeBron declines his $51M player option to play for the minimum with Bronny (not happening), they'll have lots of cap space!