Bajaden's real 2024 Mock Draft: Part one

Bajaden's Real Mock Draft: Part Two

16. 76'ers: Jared McCain: SG/PG, 6'3", 203 Lb's, 6'3.5" Wingspan, Freshman, Duke

I guess you could argue that the 76'ers don't need another 6'3" guard, but in fact, with only two players signed for next season, they need a bit of everything, and at this point, McCain is probably one of the best players available. He's one of the best shooters in the draft who can play on or off the ball equally. He's a smart player who knows how to move without the ball. He's not a true PG, but is capable of handling the ball and some creating for others as well as himself. Smart player who always seems to make the right decision. He's not a great athlete, but has good instincts on defense where I think he's more than capable of holding his own. He's a very good shooter, and a high IQ player who can really light it up at times. I think he has a higher upside than most do.

17. Pelicans: Ja'Kobe Walter: SG, 6'5", 198 Lb's, 6'10" Wingspan, Freshman, Baylor
32.3 mpg - 15.9 ppg - 37.6% fgp - 34.1% 3pp - 79.2% ftp - 4.4 rpg - 1.4 apg - 1.1 stl's - 0.2 blk's - 6.3 3pa

In simple terms, there's two ways to look at a player when evaluating him. Potential and results. I'm more of a results guy who does consider potential. As a result, I'm not as high on Walter as some others. Yes, he did score around 16 pt's a game, but wasn't very efficient doing it. On the other hand, he's young, and he wasn't terrible either. He showed the ability to be a solid defensive player, and he has good size for the guard position. I'd like to see him put the ball on the floor and attack the basket a little more. He needs that 3 pt percentage to get up around 38%.

18. Tyler Smith: PF, 6'10", 223 Lb's, 7'1" Wingspan, 19 Years old, G-League Ignite
22.5 mpg - 14.3 ppg - 47.8% fgp - 35.2% 3pp - 74.2% ftp - 5.2 rpg - 1.7 apg - 1.0 stl's - 0.8 blk's - 3.4 3pa

In several of the games I watched Smith was the best player on the G-League Ignite team. He's a good shooter although his average took a bit of a dip, it still ended up being respectable. He's a very good athlete who shows the potential to be an above average defender. He runs the floor well and gets some easy baskets in transition. He has great size and length for the position and looks the part of a stretch four. He needs to get stronger and tighten up his handles a bit. He's showed good lateral quickness on the perimeter sliding his feet, but sometimes got lost on the defensive side. That said, there's a lot to work with. He has a high ceiling and a fairly high floor. A good combination! I like Smith a lot.

19. Raptors: Tyler Kolek: PG, 6'3", 196 Lb's, 6'3" Wingspan, Senior, Marquette
33.0 mpg - 15.3 ppg - 49.6% fgp - 38.8% 3pp - 85.1% ftp - 4.9 rpg - 7.7 apg - 1.6 stl's - 3.9 3pa

Kolek is another of my favorite players in this draft, and may be the best all around PG in this draft. I thought he defended well at the college level, but his defense is probably his biggest question mark. His basketball IQ and court vision are off the charts. He is the essence of what a floor general should look like, directing his teammates where to pass or where to be on the floor. He's constantly directing traffic. He's a very good offensive player who shot around 40% from three for most of the year. He's not afraid to attack the basket, and once in the lane, you have no idea what he's going to do! To some players, that's no man's land. To Kolek, that's setting the table.

20. Cav's: Jaylon Tyson: SF, 6'7", 218 Lb's, 6'8" Wingspan, Junior, California
34.3 mpg - 19.6 ppg - 46.5% fgp - 36.0% 3pp - 79.6% ftp - 6.8 rpg - 3.5 apg - 1.2 stl's -0.5 blk's - 4.5 3pa

Tyson has flown under the radar to some degree! Probably because Cal wasn't a very good team. But if you watched Cal play, whatever the reason, you would have noticed Tyson. He was the best player on the team. After transfering from Texas Tech to Cal, his shots almost doubled from 8 to 15. And while his 3 pt percentages went down a little, almost everything else went up. He had shot over 40% from three the year before. He's a solid defender and a good athlete. He doesn't have the length that teams are looking for defensively, but he has good instincts and good lateral quickness, plus the effort. He doesn't quit on plays. I think he has the ability to be a solid rotational player and perhaps eventually, a starter.

21. Pelicans: Kyle Filipowski: C/PF, 7'0", 230 Lb's, 6'10.5" Wingspan, 20 years old, Duke
30.4 mpg - 16.4 ppg - 50.5% fgp - 34.8% 3pp - 67.1% ftp - 8.3 rpg - 2.8 apg - 1.1 stl's - 1.5 blk's - 3.1 3pa

I like Filipowski even if he is the designated T-Rex of the draft. He shot almost 35% from three this year which was a big improvement from his freshman year. He also shows signs of a midrange game. He's not a bad post player with good footwork along with some baseline spin moves. All he needs is a little polishing. He has the foundation already laid. The question is, is he big and long enough to guard centers, or is he quick enough to guard PF's. He a good passer and you could run the ball through him in the high post.

22. Suns: Isaiah Collier: PG, 6'4", 205 Lb's, 6'4.75" Wingspan, Freshman, USC
30.0 mpg - 16.3 ppg - 49.0% fgp - 33.8% 3pp - 67.3% ftp - 2.9 rpg - 4.3 apg - 1.5 stl's - 3.0 3pa

Collier had an up and down season. He had a very rough beginning for a player that was considered a top five pick in this draft. Nothing went right and he started his fall from grace. Suffering a broken hand didn't help. But in the last third of the season he started to look like the player he was supposed to be and that seemed to stop his slide. He's a very good passer with good court vision and excell's at running the pick and roll. His 3pt shot needs some work as does his freethrow shooting. He's a crafty player who can self create or create for others. He loves to attack the basket and is a good finisher where his size and strength help. So to me, the jury is still out. He's a good athlete, and has the skill set to be a solid PG in the NBA.

23. Buck's: Johnny Furphy: SF, 6'9", 202 Lb's, 6'8" Wingspan, Freshman, Kansas
24.1 mpg - 9.0 ppg - 46.6% fgp - 35.2% 3pp - 76.5% ftp - 4.9 rpg - 1.0 apg - 0.9 stl's - 0.3 blk's - 3.8 3pa

Furphy sort of came out of nowwhere to work his way into the first round. I'm high on Furphy who has a picture perfect jumpshot. He shot a respectable 35% from three and a very good 46% overall. He's pretty much a perimeter scorer right now, but has handles good enough to play the guard position. He runs the court well and has shown some passing skills in the open court. Defensively you can see glimpses of potential. He's a good athlete with good quickness. I like his long term potential and the Bucks need some talented youth on the team.

24. Knicks: Dillon Jones: SF, 6'6", 236 Lb's, 6'11" Wingspan, Senior, Weber St.
37.0 mpg - 20.8 ppg - 48.9% fgp - 32.4% 3pp - 85.7% ftp - 9.8 rpg - 5.2 apg - 2.0 stl's - 3.4 3pa

Jones is another of my favorites. He's a much better shooter than that 32% from three would indicate. Especially on catch and shoots. He shot close to 40% for a good part of the season until defenses caught up with him. Jones is a big bruising player that doesn't mind contact around the basket, that can be attested by his almost 10 boards a game. He's a good finisher at the basket, but isn't a high flyer. He seldom dunks the ball. Jones is a good passer with good court vision. He has good handles, but tends to get a bit loose at times. I would like to see fewer turnovers. Some worry about his ability to defend, but I think he has good defensive instincts and is capable of guarding two through five, thanks to his huge wingspan.

25. Knicks: Da'Ron Holmes: PF/C, 6'10", 236 Lb's, 7'1" Wingspan, Junior, Dayton
32.5 mpg - 20.4 ppg - 54.4% fgp - 38.6% 3pp - 71.3% ftp - 8.5 rpg - 2.6 apg - 0.9 stl's - 2.1 blk's - 2.5 3pa

I've gone back and forth with Holmes all year. Holmes is an ugly player, and I'm not talking about his face. He always appears a bit stiff. He's not a fluid athlete. He always looks a little mechanical to me. However, as I said, I'm a results guy, and Holmes gets results. He's turned himself into a good basketball player who can do a little bit of everything. While he mostly scores around the basket, and loves to dunk the ball, he does have a nice midrange shot, and a three pt shot that you have to respect. 38.6% is nothing to sneeze at!. He's a solid rebounder and a very good rim protector. He's also a surprisingly good perimeter defender.

26. Wizards: Kel'el Ware: Center, 7'1", 230 Lb's, 7'4.5" Wingspan, Soph, Indiana
32.2 mpg - 15.9 ppg - 58.6% fgp - 42.5% 3pp - 63.4% ftp - 9.9 rpg - 1.5 apg - 0.6 stl's - 1.9 blk's - 1.3 3pa

First let me say that Ware made a huge jump this season over last years season. But Ware still has a way to go in my opinion. Offensively, he does shoot the three, but he only took 1.3 a game. So make of that what you will. He has a midrange jumper, but most of his scoring comes at the basket on alley oops, putbacks and some posting up. He's not a bad post up player, but sometimes lets a much smaller player force him into a bad shot. Like others, he needs to get stronger. My major concern is his lack of hustle at times. He's always the last one down the floor. That worries me!

27. Timberwolves: Kyshawn George: SF, 6'8", 208 Lb's, 6'10.25" Wingspan, Freshman, Miami
23.0 mpg - 7.6 ppg - 42.6% fgp - 40.8% 3pp - 77.8% ftp - 3.0 rpg - 2.2 apg - 0.9 stl's - 4.2 3pa

George was a surprise for me this year. While he has the height of a SF, and the handles of a guard. He can get anywhere he wants on the floor. He's a very good passer with great court vision and a very good 3 pt shooter. He's just an average athlete. No explosive first step. But it doesn't seem to matter.Despite not being a great athlete, he seems quite capable of keeping his man in front of him and that includes guards. He has excellent instincts on defense. He had a very good first year at Miami and it's possible he pulls his name out of the draft, but I doubt it. He's a riser and could go as high as17 or 18.

28. Nuggets: Kevin McCullar: SF, 6'6.5", 209 Lb's, 6'9" Wingspan, Senior, Kansas
34.2 mpg - 18.3 ppg - 45.4% fgp - 33.3% 3pp - 80.5% ftp - 6.0 rpg - 4.1 apg - 1.5 stl's - 0.4 blk's - 4.5 3pa

McCullar is a Nugget kind of player. He's one of the better defenders in college, and this season he showed off a new and improved 3 pt shot. While he did fade later in the season ending up at 33%, his corner catch and shoots are closer to 40%. I doubt you'll ever see him an a dribble hand off, but if he can hit the open catch and shoot then he's a valuable asset because of his defense. He has good enough handles to play some SG and he can guard one through four.

29. Jazz: Baylor Scheierman: SF, 6'7.5", 205 Lb's, 6'8" Wingspan, Senior, Creighton
36.8 mpg - 18.5 ppg - 44.8% fgp - 38.1% 3pp - 87.6% ftp - 9.0 rpg - 3.9 apg - 0.9 stl's - 6.9 3pa

Baylor is another of my favorites. I think he's an underrated player. He has crazy eye's and a lot of dog in him. He's a better defender than he's given credit for. He's a terrific rebounder and one of the better shooters in the draft. He's not just a catch and shoot player. He can come of DHO's and screens. I think the Jazz are getting a steal in Scheierman. He's a fierce competitor who plays with a chip on his shoulder. He's an extremely confident player with good basketball IQ. He's not a great athlete, but he makes up for it with hustle and smarts.

30. Celtics: Zach Edey: Center, 7'5", 299 Lb's, 7'10.75" Wingspan, 9'7" Standing Reach, Senior, Purdue
32.0 mpg - 25.2 ppg - 62.3% fgp - 50.0% 3pp - 71.1% ftp - 12.2 rpg - 2.0 apg - 0.3 stl's - 2.2 blk's - 0.1 3pa

Once again, I'm biased. I'm not as high on Edey as others are. Thus he gets the 30th pick. I give him credit for transforming his body over the last few years remind me of Marc Gasol. I've always lookded at Edey as a backup center. He can't defend away from the basket, and at some point he'll have to in the NBA. He'll also have to adjust to the defensive 3 second rule which they don't have in college. I hope I'm wrong about him. I wish him no ill will.
Thanks for write-up.

De Silva does remind of Murray, his natural foot speed looks a little better, and he looks pretty tenacious going for jump shot blocking. Nice drop passes to the post. Silva 3pt form looks very good. He doesn't look like his mid-range/post up is as polished as Murray. Nor his rebounding. Assuming the Kings resign Monk, De Silva seems like a good pick to bolster 3/4 depth.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Baja - do you have Bub Carrington falling into the 2nd round?

If so, I'd hope Monte does whatever he can to get a late 1st or early 2nd to nab him.

My 2nd round draft crush continues to be Jamal Shead, but if Bub drops that far, he's a steal IMO.

@bajaden
Interesting and thanks for your thoughts. Word is Carter, Buzelis and Salaun are rising.

Holland and Knect are falling and could be available when we pick. Curious how you rank for the Kings the following players: Holland, Knect, Da Silva, Smith.

does your ranking change if I say when I look at the combine length and quickness stats Smith looks almost exactly like Herb Jones but younger.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
@bajaden
Interesting and thanks for your thoughts. Word is Carter, Buzelis and Salaun are rising.

Holland and Knect are falling and could be available when we pick. Curious how you rank for the Kings the following players: Holland, Knect, Da Silva, Smith.

does your ranking change if I say when I look at the combine length and quickness stats Smith looks almost exactly like Herb Jones but
younger.
I've been watching more and more of Holland and the more and more I see, I'm not a big fan for the Kings. Solid player, good upside but he looks like Corey Brewer to me. Brewer had some of the same offensive skills but it never translated and while he had a solid career, it's hard if a player becomes a 3 and D guy with an iffy 3 ball, not a great frame, and a turnover rate that doesn't suggest being a big playmaker. A team like Houston would be a better fit.

@bajaden
I tried to post the table as an image but can’t get it to load but the similarities between Smith and Herb Jones is striking. I have added Keon and Keegan’s Twin for fun

Measurable / Jones / Smith / Ellis / Murray
Wingspan
/ 7’ 0.25” / 7’ 1” / 6’ 8.5” / 6’ 11.25”
Standing Reach / 8’ 10” / 8’ 9” / 8’ 6” / 8’ 10”
Lane Agility / 11.02 / 10.74 / 10.87 / 11.11
Shuttle Run / 3.17 / 2.99 / 3.02 / NT
FT% / 71.3% / 73.2% / 88.1% / 74.7%

for a team that could use a 3 and D wing at the 3 spot who is long enough to bother taller quicker 3’s the measurables Smith sure seems to indicate he has the physical tools that can’t be taught.

what do you think of Smiths defensive IQ?

@bajaden

does your ranking change if I say when I look at the combine length and quickness stats Smith looks almost exactly like Herb Jones but
younger.

Measure / Holland / Smith / DaSilva / Knect
Wingspan
/ 6’ 10.75” / 7’ 1” / 6’ 10.25 / 6’ 9”
Standing Reach / 8’ 8” / 8’ 9” / 8’ 8.25” / 8’7.5”
Lane Agility / 11.1 / 10.74 / 10.81 / 10.56
Shuttle Run / 2.91 / 2.99 / 2.82 / 2.79
FT% / 72.8% / 73.2% / 83.5% / 77.2%

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Baja - do you have Bub Carrington falling into the 2nd round?

If so, I'd hope Monte does whatever he can to get a late 1st or early 2nd to nab him.

My 2nd round draft crush continues to be Jamal Shead, but if Bub drops that far, he's a steal IMO.
Sorry I took so long to get back to you but I've had one thing after another taking up my time. But to answer your question, yes, I actually have him right now at pick 31. I think he's definitely 1st rd material, but then I have about 8 or so players in the second round that could just as easily go in the 1st rd.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I agree on the way the draft will fall. I do think getting DaSilva at 13 is too high but Carter for us makes little sense in a crowded back court. I think Carter is a great fit for New Orleans and he won’t make it to 17. I think New Orleans keeps the 17 pick and trades us 17 and 21 for 13 to grab Carter before Miami and we take a couple wings
As you probably know by now, I don't adhere to the reach thing. If you like a player, and he's your guy, you draft him and go home happy. Most people might not know, or remember, but Kobe Bryant was considered a reach by many. Peja was considered a reach. I could go on and on with this reach nonsense. Who decides someone is a reach? A bunch of pundits who sit around and try and put the players in order in an egg basket.

Who is the better player right now, Holland, or Da Silva? It's easily Da Silva, and he should be better, he's more experienced. Holland is the better athlete, but the NBA graveyard is littered with great athlete's who never quite lived up to expectations. I'm totally confident that Da Silva will be at minimum a solid rotational player, and perhaps a solid starter. I can't say the same thing about Holland. The Kings aren't in a position right now for projects.

I agree with my son's method. I put players in a tier. Tier one, tier two, and tier three. I have no one in tier one in this draft and just a few players in tier two. Most are in tier three, and then the rest fall into tier four. I Iook at all the players in tier three as equal in talent. Different, but equal for the most part. As a result, I then look for the best player to compliment the rest of the players on my team. I don't care where that player is slotted to be drafted by a bunch of pundits. I'm not always right, but I've been right more often than I've been wrong.

There are other players that I like as well. Obviously Carter is one. I like Smith, but he's also a bit of project. I also like Holmes and in many ways he'd be a perfect fit next to Sabonis. I love Tyson's game, but he lacks some of the length we need. I couldn't quite sell myself on Filipowski, but could be wrong. He's inticing! At the end of the day, I tend to go with my gut, and it kept bringing me back to watching film on Da Silva. Not a lot of flaws to be seen. He's an underrated athlete and and a very underrated defender. Good passer with a great feel for the game.

Most of all, he knows how to play the game!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
@bajaden

does your ranking change if I say when I look at the combine length and quickness stats Smith looks almost exactly like Herb Jones but younger.
I love Knecht! Not so much Holland. Holland has a ton of potential, but he's not ready to contribute for a while. Knecht is instant offense. Anyone that saw that Tennessee game against Kentucky where Sheppard and Knecht dueled each other for the entire second half knows what Knecht can do. One of the most fun games to watch last season. For those that didn't see it, Kentucky won! Barely! If Knecht falls you take him. He's an underrated defender and a better athlete than most think, supported by his 39" vert at the combine and good numbers in the agility drills.

I'll be stunned if he drops to us. Another player that could drop, and who would have to be considered if your looking for a Monk replacement is Dillingham. A bit undersized at just over 6'2" in shoes, but that dude can light it up. Terrific handles and he's a better passer than given credit for. Not endorsing him, but I think you'd have to think about it.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love Knecht! Not so much Holland. Holland has a ton of potential, but he's not ready to contribute for a while. Knecht is instant offense. Anyone that saw that Tennessee game against Kentucky where Sheppard and Knecht dueled each other for the entire second half knows what Knecht can do. One of the most fun games to watch last season. For those that didn't see it, Kentucky won! Barely! If Knecht falls you take him. He's an underrated defender and a better athlete than most think, supported by his 39" vert at the combine and good numbers in the agility drills.

I'll be stunned if he drops to us. Another player that could drop, and who would have to be considered if your looking for a Monk replacement is Dillingham. A bit undersized at just over 6'2" in shoes, but that dude can light it up. Terrific handles and he's a better passer than given credit for. Not endorsing him, but I think you'd have to think about it.
I like Dillingham, but I think the idea of trying to draft a Monk replacement is a bad one. Monk is a unique player, and not necessarily the archetype you'd envision for a Fox/Sabonis/Murray led team, but it works because of who Malik is - an explosive athlete who has become a fantastic playmaker and who can get hot and score in bunches. His infectious personality and friendship with Fox is also part of the package. The NBA has tons of undersized scoring guards, but few of them impact winning the way I feel Malik has for the Kings.

So I don't think you can go into the draft hoping to replace him. You hope he re-signs but go into the draft looking for who you think has the most potential, since the Kings always need to be collecting assets to improve.

But in terms of Dillingham in particular, the thing that worries me is that he's coming into this draft 30 lbs lighter than Malik did as a rookie. He's going to struggle to hold up on defense and he's going to get targeted for switches pretty much every minute he's on the floor.

Last edited:

I'll be stunned if he drops to us. Another player that could drop, and who would have to be considered if you’re looking for a Monk replacement is Dillingham. A bit undersized at just over 6'2" in shoes, but that dude can light it up. Terrific handles and he's a better passer than given credit for. Not endorsing him, but I think you'd have to think about it.
so yeah I would agree though of those 4 I think he is the least likely to actually be on the board at 13. How do you rank the other 3 for the Kings?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Since I was trying to stay within the word limit with my 2nd round post, I tried to keep my write up on Enrique Freeman brief. But he has an interesting story. He wasn't recruited by any major colleges coming out of highschool, and ended up being a walk on at Akron. So he had to earn everything he has up to this point. He went from being a walk on to being the best player on the team. He was a double/double machine this past season while averaging just a tick under 13 rebounds a game. One third of those were offensive rebounds.

He's a terrific rebounder in traffic with a very quick leap and second leap. He won defensive player in the league two years ago. He has a non stop motor, and while visually, he doean't seem that imposing, he's a very physical player who loves posting up. He has great footwork around the basket which comes from having to play center for Akron for the first couple of years. I can only imagine how much more physical he'll become with an additional 10 or 15 Lb's of muscle.

He a very good help defender, especially when defending the basket. He had great timing on when to help and when to stay home. He makes good reads and has a very good feel for the game. He's developed into a decent if somewhat inconsistent shooter, but he's good enough that you have to guard him. He shoots close to 40% on open catch and shoots. He's not an off the dribble guy. At least not yet. Freeman is the kind of player the Kings need. He's a hustle guy that will grab some tough rebounds, block some shots, deflect some shots, play solid defense and likely score 12 or more points just by taking what falls in his lap.

He's a humble kid that has worked his butt off. He knows what he's good at and doesn't try to be something he's not. I may be looking at him through rose colored glasses, but I don't think so. This is a smart kid that knows where his potential lies.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I've been watching more and more of Holland and the more and more I see, I'm not a big fan for the Kings. Solid player, good upside but he looks like Corey Brewer to me. Brewer had some of the same offensive skills but it never translated and while he had a solid career, it's hard if a player becomes a 3 and D guy with an iffy 3 ball, not a great frame, and a turnover rate that doesn't suggest being a big playmaker. A team like Houston would be a better fit.
I had to laugh a bit because my son and I have had several discussions about the Rockets, and the talent they have. One of the knocks on the Rockets was that they had talent, but not the proper player development. We both believe that has changed recently, but my point is, the last place you would want to send a young player to be developed is to a team full of young undeveloped players. He needs to go to a team that doesn't need him to be good right now, and is known for player development.

Too often we draft these players and expect them to be our saviors, when in fact, we're lucky if they turn into solid rotational players. I have no idea how good Holland will be. It really depends on his opportunity, and his desire. You can scout all you want, but the biggest unknown is how much does the player desire to be great? What is his work ethic? Does he want to be the best player on a bad team, or would he rather be the 3rd or 4th best player on a winning team? It's hard to know the answer to that.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Since I was trying to stay within the word limit with my 2nd round post, I tried to keep my write up on Enrique Freeman brief. But he has an interesting story. He wasn't recruited by any major colleges coming out of highschool, and ended up being a walk on at Akron. So he had to earn everything he has up to this point. He went from being a walk on to being the best player on the team. He was a double/double machine this past season while averaging just a tick under 13 rebounds a game. One third of those were offensive rebounds.

He's a terrific rebounder in traffic with a very quick leap and second leap. He won defensive player in the league two years ago. He has a non stop motor, and while visually, he doean't seem that imposing, he's a very physical player who loves posting up. He has great footwork around the basket which comes from having to play center for Akron for the first couple of years. I can only imagine how much more physical he'll become with an additional 10 or 15 Lb's of muscle.

He a very good help defender, especially when defending the basket. He had great timing on when to help and when to stay home. He makes good reads and has a very good feel for the game. He's developed into a decent if somewhat inconsistent shooter, but he's good enough that you have to guard him. He shoots close to 40% on open catch and shoots. He's not an off the dribble guy. At least not yet. Freeman is the kind of player the Kings need. He's a hustle guy that will grab some tough rebounds, block some shots, deflect some shots, play solid defense and likely score 12 or more points just by taking what falls in his lap.

He's a humble kid that has worked his butt off. He knows what he's good at and doesn't try to be something he's not. I may be looking at him through rose colored glasses, but I don't think so. This is a smart kid that knows where his potential lies.
Not to shill a product, but the nice thing about YouTubeTV is that you can ask it to record *every* college basketball game that comes on - which means that after Baja did this write-up I found that I did indeed have several different options for watching full games of Freeman. By chance I picked the game against Ohio in the MAC semis where he went for an absolutely silly 24/21/7 blocks. Terrific energy player and unbelievable rebounder with his 7'2" wings. Probably has role in the league based on that alone.

He seems to have a long way to go on offense - only took 54 threes on the season and only one jumper in that game (not counting an emergency turnaround as the shot clock expired), and to me he didn't look very polished in the post, though he was facing frequent triple teams and a few quadruple teams, so that could have something to do with it. He won't see that in the NBA, but I don't think his size will allow him to do a lot of post-ups anyways.

He doesn't really seem to be on a lot of the mocks, even in the second round, so he's got a good chance of being there at #45 right about where the talent pool is starting to really fall off.

I'd say right now he has easily jumped up into my top four of plausible guys at #45, along with Antonio Reeves, Adem Bona, and Oso Ighodaro. Nice find by Baja!

I highly doubt he'll fall anywhere near #45. Let me put it this way: there's an argument we should consider him at #13.
Do you think he would be a good player to take at 13 or maybe we can trade back into the late teens/early 20s to take him?

Here are some Terrance Shannon highlights. I like his aggressiveness on offense and defense, seems to have a bit of Jimmy Butler in his game.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Do you think he would be a good player to take at 13 or maybe we can trade back into the late teens/early 20s to take him?
To my (admittedly amateur) eye, this draft is all over the place. Shannon doubly so, because of the allegations (which tanked his stock hard) and the acquittal (which is bound to shake things up a lot). There are mocks out there that just didn't have him listed at all, and that's not exactly reasonable for a guy scoring 23 points a game and putting up .235 WS/40 in a power-5 conference, even if he is a senior. If I wanted to guess a safe range for him I'd say 10-25. That's pretty wide, but it's hard to know where he stacks up and what teams are going to think about the allegations against him.

So, if we were heart-set on him as a 6'7" wing who can score, create his own shot, and not be a disaster defensively, I wouldn't fool around and try to finesse him in the late teens/early 20s, I'd just take him. But if instead we're just looking to BPA the draft without trying to address specific weaknesses the fact that he's now "pickable" (for us or somebody else) would only increase my likelihood to trade down from #13 (either for 2 picks, or in any deal involving current players) because the talent pool just got deeper.

I had to laugh a bit because my son and I have had several discussions about the Rockets, and the talent they have. One of the knocks on the Rockets was that they had talent, but not the proper player development. We both believe that has changed recently, but my point is, the last place you would want to send a young player to be developed is to a team full of young undeveloped players. He needs to go to a team that doesn't need him to be good right now, and is known for player development.

Too often we draft these players and expect them to be our saviors, when in fact, we're lucky if they turn into solid rotational players. I have no idea how good Holland will be. It really depends on his opportunity, and his desire. You can scout all you want, but the biggest unknown is how much does the player desire to be great? What is his work ethic? Does he want to be the best player on a bad team, or would he rather be the 3rd or 4th best player on a winning team? It's hard to know the answer to that.
Who is is undeveloped on that team though? Whitmore is their youngest player, but players like Smith and Sengun will be entering their 3rd season. Green will be in his 4th. Amen will be 22 next season and did make a dent last year as one would expect considering he went straight into pro ball. Him developing what he lacks is possible, but getting better as a shooter comes in the game usually. And that's the thing, I think they might be in a position to condense talent fairly soon which could very well open a spot for a player like Holland, and they have a history of liking defense first wing types with flaws. Holland looks like someone who can actually step in right away on the defensive side and make an impact. Also he does very well in straight line open floor drives to the rim and the Rox have the guards to make that work. They were 5th in fastbreak points last season. This might be a place where Holland can come in right away and take a spot in the league.

Also, I don't see Holland as super raw, more like flawed (like Amen somewhat) and those aren't always the same thing. He's actually pretty solid in what he does do, he's pretty well developed physically considering his slight frame, and he's played against pros. Now, if he can get beyond his flaws then he could be a star, but players coming out of the G-league especially I think shouldn't sit and watch necessarily. Going back to the G-league does what for them? If Holland gets better IMO it comes from finding his way into a rotation sooner than later and that has to be a team that can use him for his abilities now.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
To my (admittedly amateur) eye, this draft is all over the place. Shannon doubly so, because of the allegations (which tanked his stock hard) and the acquittal (which is bound to shake things up a lot). There are mocks out there that just didn't have him listed at all, and that's not exactly reasonable for a guy scoring 23 points a game and putting up .235 WS/40 in a power-5 conference, even if he is a senior. If I wanted to guess a safe range for him I'd say 10-25. That's pretty wide, but it's hard to know where he stacks up and what teams are going to think about the allegations against him.

So, if we were heart-set on him as a 6'7" wing who can score, create his own shot, and not be a disaster defensively, I wouldn't fool around and try to finesse him in the late teens/early 20s, I'd just take him. But if instead we're just looking to BPA the draft without trying to address specific weaknesses the fact that he's now "pickable" (for us or somebody else) would only increase my likelihood to trade down from #13 (either for 2 picks, or in any deal involving current players) because the talent pool just got deeper.
I think he's probably going to go in the 20s. He wasn't just a senior, he was a 5th year senior. By the time a player gets to their fifth year of college basketball I would question how much of that increased production was just the result of having more experience and physical maturity than 99% of their opponents. Most of the elite players in college, his potential top 30 pick peers in this draft class, are first and second year players. But even ignoring the age advantage he had this past season, I'm lukewarm on him as a talent. I probably wouldn't take him in the top 25.

On Freeman great shot blocking for his size - maybe better than Murray in that even - could come into the team have the best shot blocking for his size.. That's exciting; I love LOVE shot blocking! Good rebounding, nice hook, ok 3, but like many, little to no left hand shooting or hook - usual handicap. If picking at 45 or whatever seems fine. Pick him up and De Silva and call it day.....

how will our draft priorities look if we re-sign monk?

moving away from PG/SG shooters and aiming at the SF-PF-C territory?
yes, sabonis needs a better back-up, but defence-wise, i would like an aaron gordon type PF playing next to him... not a starter for next season, but for the forthcoming seasons.
ok, starting PF is keegan's spot, maybe we can move him to SF and barnes slowly to the bench
so, we can chase HB's successor in the long run
or, topić at #13 ... yes, there is a torn ACL and our backcourt is packed (if monk stays)... but if he inherited his father's mentality, he will definitely work on his 3pt shot, never make any locker room issues and be a 100% team player... we can use another playmaker

i'm aware that monte will go for the BPA regardless of the position, but we can still do some calculating on our own

Can't see the reason for picking Topic unless you think Fox will bail in the next few seasons or you plan to trade him (which they won't/shouldn't) Topic is a worse fit than Haliburton was since he' can't shoot it atm. In terms of talent it's a great pick but it could turn out very similar to SGA/Giddy (better comp than Hali) where they had to be split.

Can't see the reason for picking Topic unless you think Fox will bail in the next few seasons or you plan to trade him (which they won't/shouldn't) Topic is a worse fit than Haliburton was since he' can't shoot it atm. In terms of talent it's a great pick but it could turn out very similar to SGA/Giddy (better comp than Hali) where they had to be split.
But OKC just got a really good player for Giddy. If the Kings think Topic is on a different tier than the other players, they should grab him. That being said, I don’t think the Kings are keeping the pick.