[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (JUN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pretty sure the Jazz have changed their jerseys three times in the last six years.
The recent ones were awful. No design whatsoever. Just JAZZ and UTAH is basic oversized font.

I also really like the black alternate here. I was never a big fan of the purple and white mountain jerseys from the late 90’s and early aughts…but I like that these retreads say Utah instead. I always thought “Jazz” on the mountain jerseys looked weird.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The recent ones were awful. No design whatsoever. Just JAZZ and UTAH is basic oversized font.

I also really like the black alternate here. I was never a big fan of the purple and white mountain jerseys from the late 90’s and early aughts…but I like that these retreads say Utah instead. I always thought “Jazz” on the mountain jerseys looked weird.
To be fair, their name should have probably been changed years ago as the team in Utah being called the Jazz is probably even more of a misnomer than a team in LA being called the Lakers. Just having Utah on their jerseys solves that entirely. Not sure I like the font they used on the numbers though.

Dan Hurley to be next Lakers coach.

JJ: "This is malpractice."
LA is "targeting" Hurley. This doesn't mean he's going to become the Lakers' next coach. He may ultimately decide he can't justify turning down the massive offer they're preparing, but I also find it hard to believe that he'd be tempted away from the great program he built at UConn, as well as the job security it affords him, for a much more high pressure and volatile NBA head coaching position with considerably less job security, especially since LeBron is now in the twilight of his career. It just doesn't seem like that attractive of an opportunity, outside of the pay.

LA is "targeting" Hurley. This doesn't mean he's going to become the Lakers' next coach. He may ultimately decide he can't justify turning down the massive offer they're preparing, but I also find it hard to believe that he'd be tempted away from the great program he built at UConn, as well as the job security it affords him, for a much more high pressure and volatile NBA head coaching position with considerably less job security, especially since LeBron is now in the twilight of his career. It just doesn't seem like that attractive of an opportunity, outside of the pay.
This...

A little premature, IMHO, to consider it a done deal. I've seen these kinds of rumors many times in the past, only for them all to die at some point.

Until pen meets paper, and Hurley is sitting next to Lakers management and front office personnel during a press conference, I do not consider this to be a "done deal", as @coolhandluke implies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Why would you leave a blue blood college program for 2 years in LA?

Rick Pitino should give him a call.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Why would you leave a blue blood college program for 2 years in LA?

Rick Pitino should give him a call.
Pitino and Calipari would give one story, but Donovan and Stevens would perhaps give another.

I kinda figure that two consecutive championships might look like the zenith college coaching performance for Hurley, so why not try the big lights and big money out in LA?

The dude to most feel sorry for if Hurley goes is Alex Karaban. Passed on the draft to return to UConn, only perhaps to have his coach bolt so late he can't transfer out?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The dude to most feel sorry for if Hurley goes is Alex Karaban. Passed on the draft to return to UConn, only perhaps to have his coach bolt so late he can't transfer out?
Aren't transfer rules such that you can leave free at the start of every quarter now? I believe we're still in Spring, but he could definitely transfer and enroll somewhere for Fall if Summer registration is already cut off. Not sure if any top programs have openings though.

I don't think that Florida and Baylor are remotely comparable to UCONN though (and UMass was never a sustainable gig for Calipari, pretty sure they got clipped for violations after he left?) I don't know though because the Lakers just spit coaches out and I don't see any indication the players there are looking to be coached.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Aren't transfer rules such that you can leave free at the start of every quarter now? I believe we're still in Spring, but he could definitely transfer and enroll somewhere for Fall if Summer registration is already cut off. Not sure if any top programs have openings though.

I don't think that Florida and Baylor are remotely comparable to UCONN though (and UMass was never a sustainable gig for Calipari, pretty sure they got clipped for violations after he left?) I don't know though because the Lakers just spit coaches out and I don't see any indication the players there are looking to be coached.
I thought the entrance to the portal closed May 1st, but college rules have been changing so fast it's hard to keep up.

Donovan built a monster at Florida - back-to-back champs like Hurley - before bailing out. Stevens was obviously a big up-and-comer at Butler but spurned at least one blue-blood job (UCLA) for the NBA.

It just seems that the college-to-pro coaching move is not universally a disaster.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I know Florida was nice under Donovan but they don't have the long term success under multiple coaches. I think UCONN is now a program that recruits itself. They are probably the most recent recipient of Blue Blood status but I don't think anyone questions it at this point.

Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, Duke, UCONN.
Honorary Blue Blood: Arizona - doesn't have the titles but dating back to Lute Olson is top 5 in regular season success and conference championships over last 40 years - will be put to the test in the Big-12.
Legacy Blue Blood that is in jeopardy of losing status: UCLA

that's it.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

gotta love it when your opposition apparently is actively interested in making itself worse. Buddy should definitely sign with the T-Wolves. Also how in the hell are the Suns going to sign him? They’re so far above the second apron that I’m pretty sure their tax bill exceeds their actual salaries by a wide margin.

This is an example of "you never know who a team might go after", when it comes to wanting to go a different direction.

I don't think anybody would have predicted that LA would bring in a college head coach
The Lakers hired Butch van Breda Kolff after he took Princeton to the final 4 in the mid-60s. Princeton then hired Pete Carril.

gotta love it when your opposition apparently is actively interested in making itself worse. Buddy should definitely sign with the T-Wolves. Also how in the hell are the Suns going to sign him? They’re so far above the second apron that I’m pretty sure their tax bill exceeds their actual salaries by a wide margin.
Could be a KCP replacement (with another player I assume for defense) if KCP ends up costing over 20mil. Than again Buddy/MJP on one team yeah that's a easy no the low IQ/poor dribbling would lose any improtant game.

Status
Not open for further replies.