Following Potential *2024* Draftees

I think Zubac would be a good comparison and a floor for Edey. Mike Brown has had success with big centers in the past with Zydrunas Ilgauskas in Cleveland.

Edey is huge and has great touch around the basket (62.3% FG%). He shot 71.1% from FT and has a nice stroke, so I think he could develop a 3 point shot in time. He just started playing organized basketball 6 years ago in his Junior year of high school(he was a hockey and baseball player until he grew too tall) and he dominated college basketball for 2 years. He is still very new to the game and has some nasty, which the Kings need. He's also shed a little weight and came in at 299 lbs at the combine.

The problem with a Domas-Edey pairing would be Domas not shooting the 3 pointer enough to spread the floor. If Domas could put up 3-4 3s per game on a good percentage (37%+), I could see a Domas-Edey front court working out. Edey would definitely help erase some mistakes by our defenders at the rim.

If he doesn't land on the Kings, I could see Miami taking him at #15 and with the proper coaching and nurture, he could become a real difference maker in the league and Miami knows how to develop players. He's the type of players that will get people saying in a few years, how did he last so late in the draft? You can't teach a legit 7'4" with a 7'11 wingspan.
Yeah skilled 7'4 is hard to find. I think he's absolutely a long-term NBA player. Just in what capacity is the question.

I'm a huge fan of Holmes. Everything about his profile screams super upside bet as a "unicorn" rim protector 4/5 swing guy. I love his developmental curve where every season he's taken a pretty huge leap in production. I'd take him over Ware and Edey pretty easily.

In terms of a floor case, looks like he'll be a guy who can block some shots and just be athletic out there. Seems a pretty safe bet to be a long-term back-up at the very least

Edey with faster 3/4 sprint than Clingan and better lane agility than Sarr. Great day for him to go with the 7’4 size and crazy wingspan
I mean, I get the concerns with him and lateral movement, but at the same time, how much does that really matter if you're 7'4 with a giant wingspan? Like of course Wemby's mobility at his size is once in a life-time, but he still employs a lot of the same tactics on defense; he gets beat, but it just doesn't matter because he has the best recovery of pretty much anyone in NBA history.

Karaban might have moved into the first round. 6’6.5 with 6’11 wingspan and a 8’10.5 standing reach which is 5 inches more than TDS. He also won 3 shooting drills.

Da Silva with a 8’5.5” standing reach is really rough… That’s the same standing reach as Harrison Barnes which is not only below average for a PF but below average for a SF. Keon Ellis has a 8’6” standing reach for example. However, his max vertical at 35.5" is not too bad and his shuttle run at 2.82 sec is really fast. Will be interested to see how his lane agility shakes out.

I haven't seen any measurements for Chomche yet, but his shuttle run of 2.84 sec is really fast. If that's any indication of how fast/agile he is, that's quite the athletic freak combined with his size, length, and strength at his age.

Dalton Knecht seems to be having a great combine from a measurement standpoint:
  • Height w/o Shoes = 6'5.25"
  • Wingspan = 6'9"
  • Standing Reach = 8'7.5"
  • Shuttle Run = 2.79 (1st at the combine)
  • Lane Agility = ??? (Saw it reported that it was 2nd at the combine)
  • Max Vertical = 39"
We obviously know about his offensive talent, but those measurement make me wonder what his defensive potential could be.

The one thing that seems to be popping out to me is that I'm not really seeing many players who are measuring out with PF size. There does seem to be many players measuring out with SG/SF size:
  • Dalton Knecht
  • Ron Holland II
  • Cody Williams
  • Matas Buzelis
  • Ja'Kobe Walter
  • Kevin McCullar Jr.
  • Terrence Shannon Jr.
  • Kyshawn George
  • Tristan Da Silva
  • Ryan Dunn
  • Jaylon Tyson
The only guys that seem to be measuring out with PF size are:
  • Tyler Smith
  • Bobi Klintman
  • Alex Karaban
I'm sure Chomche will be included in that list but his measurements aren't out yet, and I didn't include Kyle Filipowski or DaRon Holmes II as I see them more as Cs than PFs.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Counterpoint: The Ringer also famously compared Keegan Murray to Al Horford
+1. The Ringer's "shades of" comparisons are often way, way off IMO.

The 2 bigs that really intrigues me at #13 is Kel'el Ware and Zach Edey. Edey is just massive and a great rebounder and rim protector with great touch around the basket. While Ware has flashed some outside shooting and is a good rebounder and rim protector.

Both would help solve the Kings dire need for some size, length and rim protection in the front court.
I don't think Edey is any better than Len as an NBA rookie. IMO the Kings need to hit on a higher upside play rather than drafting a role player.

As for Kel'el Ware, I never like guys who lack a motor. Ware has always had tantalizing tools, but he runs way too hot & cold and too often just doesn't compete the way you'd like to see.

Edey with faster 3/4 sprint than Clingan and better lane agility than Sarr. Great day for him to go with the 7’4 size and crazy wingspan
I have watched Edey play for three years and he moves very, very slowly. If he did well in these drills, it tells me his reaction time is really bad. He was generally a step and a half behind everyone in college, but made up for it with his size ( and different rules). That usually means he will be 2-3 steps behind in the NBA.

Da Silva with a 8’5.5” standing reach is really rough… That’s the same standing reach as Harrison Barnes which is not only below average for a PF but below average for a SF. Keon Ellis has a 8’6” standing reach for example. However, his max vertical at 35.5" is not too bad and his shuttle run at 2.82 sec is really fast. Will be interested to see how his lane agility shakes out.

I haven't seen any measurements for Chomche yet, but his shuttle run of 2.84 sec is really fast. If that's any indication of how fast/agile he is, that's quite the athletic freak combined with his size, length, and strength at his age.

• Wingspan = 6'9"
  • Max Vertical = 39"
We obviously know about his offensive talent, but those measurement make me wonder what his defensive potential could be.

The one thing that seems to be popping out to me is that I'm not really seeing many players who are measuring out with PF size. There does seem to be many players measuring out with SG/SF size:
  • Dalton Knecht
  • Ron Holland II
  • Cody Williams
  • Matas Buzelis
  • Ja'Kobe Walter
  • Kevin McCullar Jr.
  • Terrence Shannon Jr.
  • Kyshawn George
  • Tristan Da Silva
  • Ryan Dunn
  • Jaylon Tyson
  • Tyler Smith
  • Bobi Klintman
  • Alex Karaban
I'm sure Chomche will be included in that list but his measurements aren't out yet, and I didn't include Kyle Filipowski or DaRon Holmes II as I see them more as Cs than PFs.
I’m a bit skeptical on the numbers but if Chomche is that quick he could be a defensive monster.

Dunn supposedly had a Barnes like standing reach which, if true, will impact his defensive ability in the NBA. Go Go Gadget arms matter.

I have watched Edey play for three years and he moves very, very slowly. If he did well in these drills, it tells me his reaction time is really bad. He was generally a step and a half behind everyone in college, but made up for it with his size ( and different rules). That usually means he will be 2-3 steps behind in the NBA.
the stats were all off and have not been officially posted at the NBA site yet. If the numbers seem off they probably are.

the thing about Bronny James is that as much as people love joke about him declaring for the draft and his dad’s whole thing about wanting to play with his son, there were times when he was at Sierra Canyon in high school where he DID look like an NBA level prospect. Not his father of course but like a role player level two way grinder.
He was also proven to be shorter than his "official height" but the vertical jump another shooting drill and the 3 point shots worked for his benefit. Still a 6.1" guard that wasn't a scoring machine in college doesn't seem to have that much future in the NBA. Let's see how he will do in the scrimmage today.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He was also proven to be shorter than his "official height" but the vertical jump another shooting drill and the 3 point shots worked for his benefit. Still a 6.1" guard that wasn't a scoring machine in college doesn't seem to have that much future in the NBA. Let's see how he will do in the scrimmage today.

Important distinction is that he’s 6’1.5” without shoes, which is more like 6’3”-ish in in game height. Not great by any means but he’s also got a solid wingspan in the 6’7” range which puts him in the Jrue Holliday mold, which is probably a good model for who he should try to embrace being in the league.

Going to be interesting to see how Djurisic looks in the scrimmage. Thought he made a mistake withdrawing from the draft last season but a strong performance today probably puts him right back into the mid-first round range.

the thing about Bronny James is that as much as people love joke about him declaring for the draft and his dad’s whole thing about wanting to play with his son, there were times when he was at Sierra Canyon in high school where he DID look like an NBA level prospect. Not his father of course but like a role player level two way grinder.
Bronny seems absolutely worth a 2nd round flier. Sure, not close to ready yet now, but a dude with his athleticism and willingness to play defense and potential shooting? On the shorter side, but with an excellent wingspan and a huge vert.

Camp him in the G-League for 2 years and see what he looks like as a 22 year old with 2 years of professional basketball/development under his belt. People just have to remove the name (maybe you can't though?) and there's absolutely NBA skills/athleticism there if he develops right.

Bronny seems absolutely worth a 2nd round flier. Sure, not close to ready yet now, but a dude with his athleticism and willingness to play defense and potential shooting? On the shorter side, but with an excellent wingspan and a huge vert.

Camp him in the G-League for 2 years and see what he looks like as a 22 year old with 2 years of professional basketball/development under his belt. People just have to remove the name (maybe you can't though?) and there's absolutely NBA skills/athleticism there if he develops right.
And you have to give him some slack for last season - I’m sure his game was affected by almost dying.

I’m a bit skeptical on the numbers but if Chomche is that quick he could be a defensive monster.

Dunn supposedly had a Barnes like standing reach which, if true, will impact his defensive ability in the NBA. Go Go Gadget arms matter.
Initial reports have Dunn with a 7'1.5" wingspan, 8'7" standing reach, 2.88 shuttle run, and a 38.5 max vertical. Compared to Barnes, he has a 2.25" advantage on wingspan, 1.5" advantage on standing reach, but Barnes had a 1.5" advantage on the max vertical (which I doubt he still has today).

The wingspan, vertical, and shuttle run are obviously good for a PF but the standing reach leaves a lot to be desired for a PF especially when your starting C is already below average lengthwise.

Initial reports have Dunn with a 7'1.5" wingspan, 8'7" standing reach, 2.88 shuttle run, and a 38.5 max vertical. Compared to Barnes, he has a 2.25" advantage on wingspan, 1.5" advantage on standing reach, but Barnes had a 1.5" advantage on the max vertical (which I doubt he still has today).

The wingspan, vertical, and shuttle run are obviously good for a PF but the standing reach leaves a lot to be desired for a PF especially when your starting C is already below average lengthwise.
yeah 8’7” is a bit below what you want for a defensive stopper. On a better note from a podcast I heard his touch was pretty good but his form is broken. Form can be fixed

That was 15+ years ago!
Haha, no kidding. The thing is the center spot in relation to skill is kind of coming back around a little. Look at Len, he had a huge impact in his minutes. The NBA has already basically let it be known, prep for a more physical league. As they transition away from the Curry types they are looking at players like Zion, Wemby, Jokic, etc. to carry it on.

• Wingspan = 6'9"
  • Max Vertical = 39"

• Dalton Knecht
  • Ron Holland II
  • Cody Williams
  • Matas Buzelis
  • Ja'Kobe Walter
  • Kevin McCullar Jr.
  • Terrence Shannon Jr.
  • Kyshawn George
  • Tristan Da Silva
  • Ryan Dunn
  • Jaylon Tyson
  • Tyler Smith
  • Bobi Klintman
  • Alex Karaban
I think there's something up with the standing reaches this year. While fans harp on length, I think it's obvious that GM's must be looking at athletic ability moreso because I mean, it's obvious some of these 42 inch verts are inflated and it's the standing reach once again being the trick.

Yeah, it's like with the leapers of the combine, does it actually translate to in game? How many times have we seen Reed dunk all over the defense? lol. The difference is teams still run drop and being the size of Edey makes it potentially viable with him.