KING IN ARABIC

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
So, my first thought when looking at that picture was, "Is Ranadivé the only one who doesn't carry his own golf balls?" But then I thought, "Why would a billionaire carry his own golf balls?"

... But then I thought, "... What if those aren't golf balls? :eek:"

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, my first thought when looking at that picture was, "Is Ranadivé the only one who doesn't carry his own golf balls?" But then I thought, "Why would a billionaire carry his own golf balls?"

... But then I thought, "... What if those aren't golf balls? :eek:"

Old (and mildly inappropriate) story. Apparently Leslie Nielsen once went golfing with Bill Clinton during his presidency. On one of the holes Nielsen asked, "what's in your pocket?"

Clinton replied, "Golf balls"

To which Nielsen asked, "Is that anything like Tennis Elbow?"

The more I think of it, I think Monk may not demand a starting spot to re-sign with the Kings. But, I think he would need assurances that there would be an open competition and the opportunity to start, if it's best for the team. I'm hoping his loyalty to Fox and to what the Kings did for his career helps sway him to re-sign. I can't see a scenario where the Kings are better off if Monk leaves in FA.

After all, I'm sure he realizes by now that even a FA pitch from another team to a "starting spot" is not a guarantee once the actual games start and the coach need to make adjustments to the lineup.

The more I think of it, I think Monk may not demand a starting spot to re-sign with the Kings. But, I think he would need assurances that there would be an open competition and the opportunity to start, if it's best for the team. I'm hoping his loyalty to Fox and to what the Kings did for his career helps sway him to re-sign. I can't see a scenario where the Kings are better off if Monk leaves in FA.

After all, I'm sure he realizes by now that even a FA pitch from another team to a "starting spot" is not a guarantee once the actual games start and the coach need to make adjustments to the lineup.
Initially not, the question should be asked though, how good are they with him and is it worth potentially hampering flexibility moving forward? We've been hearing about a 1 + 1 type of deal and I think that would be best because if Monte can't improve this team with some combo of Huerter/Barnes/picks going out then the safest thing is to draft BPA at 13 and keep the cap fluid. At the very least try and shave off that 2025-2026 salary on the Huerter/Barnes deals. No Malik, no Huerter, no Barnes in 2025 means major potential to bring in a 3rd star to put around Fox and Domas while still having Murray on his rookie deal. If Monte can unload some money and take a step sideways next season he could have mucho space in 2025 which is realistically Monte's last chance to do so since Fox and Murray will have major contract upgrades the next season. As of now you might be able to bid for guys like Donovan Mitchell, Julius Randle, Aaron Gordon, Jamal Murray, or Jimmy Butler and still add a Naz Reid level talent on top of it. It's a gamble but Monte is running out of trade options now and having belief in his current set up is fine, but he's got to be realistic about what the results have told him so far.

Initially not, the question should be asked though, how good are they with him and is it worth potentially hampering flexibility moving forward? We've been hearing about a 1 + 1 type of deal and I think that would be best because if Monte can't improve this team with some combo of Huerter/Barnes/picks going out then the safest thing is to draft BPA at 13 and keep the cap fluid. At the very least try and shave off that 2025-2026 salary on the Huerter/Barnes deals. No Malik, no Huerter, no Barnes in 2025 means major potential to bring in a 3rd star to put around Fox and Domas while still having Murray on his rookie deal. If Monte can unload some money and take a step sideways next season he could have mucho space in 2025 which is realistically Monte's last chance to do so since Fox and Murray will have major contract upgrades the next season. As of now you might be able to bid for guys like Donovan Mitchell, Julius Randle, Aaron Gordon, Jamal Murray, or Jimmy Butler and still add a Naz Reid level talent on top of it. It's a gamble but Monte is running out of trade options now and having belief in his current set up is fine, but he's got to be realistic about what the results have told him so far.
Dude, I know you aren't the biggest Monk fan, but what do you mean? The Kings offense fell off a cliff pretty much the moment he got hurt. Just our luck that our defense finally becomes good, only for the offense to die because of Monks absence.

I want to see what a healthy Fox/Keon/Monk trio can do over a large sample. The goal should be to keep a strength a strength...not go backwards

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

I would be fine with an open competition but I think we are best with him off the bench unless there is some radical overhaul to the team construction that replaces his scoring in the second unit and someone else makes a leap defensively in the starting unit to offset what we lose with Keon there.

Dude, I know you aren't the biggest Monk fan, but what do you mean? The Kings offense fell off a cliff pretty much the moment he got hurt. Just our luck that our defense finally becomes good, only for the offense to die because of Monks absence.

I want to see what a healthy Fox/Keon/Monk trio can do over a large sample. The goal should be to keep a strength a strength...not go backwards
No, the goal should be not to get STUCK and I didn't say just let him walk, make it a short deal that allows both sides some type of opportunities to safeguard. Monk might be worth way more than that Kings deal, the Kings might not have the tools to contend as is. The defense climbed with Ellis and Davion so that's an issue and for me it's not about being a fan of any one player. I understand you are, I get that. You think he's a superstar in waiting and he might be, we haven't seen it yet though. Right now I think the smart move is to keep the cap fluid so a deal that gives Monk and the Kings flexibility is better for both parties. I'm a fan of Monte getting this team beyond that line and again, the Kings decline started in January. The Kings overall record without Monk was 4-6, right in the neighborhood how their 10 game outlooks on average looked since that point. How much better would the Kings be at the end with Monk? I agree they would have been better for sure but we all pretty much knew the end of the year was going to be a nightmare. It is far from safe to assume the Kings finish would have been much different if you are Monte McNair. For the same reasons he thought just keeping things the same were. Yeah, it could always work, but at some point you're betting against actual result.

So far the 5 man unit stats of all units that got the majority of time have one negative rated unit and that's Fox, Monk, Keon, Keegan, and Domas. It might not be a solid conclusion beyond all else but that is a result to draw some type of conclusions from.

Last edited:
No, the goal should be not to get STUCK and I didn't say just let him walk, make it a short deal that allows both sides some type of opportunities to safeguard. Monk might be worth way more than that Kings deal, the Kings might not have the tools to contend as is. The defense climbed with Ellis and Davion so that's an issue and for me it's not about being a fan of any one player. I understand you are, I get that. You think he's a superstar in waiting and he might be, we haven't seen it yet though. Right now I think the smart move is to keep the cap fluid so a deal that gives Monk and the Kings flexibility is better for both parties. I'm a fan of Monte getting this team beyond that line and again, the Kings decline started in January. The Kings overall record without Monk was 4-6, right in the neighborhood how their 10 game outlooks on average looked since that point. How much better would the Kings be at the end with Monk? I agree they would have been better for sure but we all pretty much knew the end of the year was going to be a nightmare. It is far from safe to assume the Kings finish would have been much different if you are Monte McNair. For the same reasons he thought just keeping things the same were. Yeah, it could always work, but at some point you're betting against actual result.

So far the 5 man unit stats of all units that got the majority of time have one negative rated unit and that's Fox, Monk, Keon, Keegan, and Domas. It might not be a solid conclusion beyond all else but that is a result to draw some type of conclusions from.
Well let's not construe words here shall we?

I've said "offensive star" multiple times and proven that with comparisons to Beal and LaVine, who people considered stars at one point.

I can pretty much guarantee we would have been significantly better offensively because the only real change (outside of a struggling Huerter being hurt too), was Monk going down. We jumped in defense because Keon/Davion became staple rotation players. What we haven't seen is good versions of Keon/Davion with a healthy Monk.

Also, lets be better than this. You're not one of the troll posters around here who don't qualify they're posters and I very much enjoy your viewpoint on the Kings and the game. This is a 34 minute sample of those 5 on the court. That's literally nothing. I don't think 5 man units really tell you all that much either in the context of an entire season either. There's 3936 minutes in a season, and you're trying to make a point with a unit that was on the floor for 0.8% of the year. Come on.

Well let's not construe words here shall we?

I've said "offensive star" multiple times and proven that with comparisons to Beal and LaVine, who people considered stars at one point.

I can pretty much guarantee we would have been significantly better offensively because the only real change (outside of a struggling Huerter being hurt too), was Monk going down. We jumped in defense because Keon/Davion became staple rotation players. What we haven't seen is good versions of Keon/Davion with a healthy Monk.

Also, lets be better than this. You're not one of the troll posters around here who don't qualify they're posters and I very much enjoy your viewpoint on the Kings and the game. This is a 34 minute sample of those 5 on the court. That's literally nothing. I don't think 5 man units really tell you all that much either in the context of an entire season either. There's 3936 minutes in a season, and you're trying to make a point with a unit that was on the floor for 0.8% of the year. Come on.
Oh you mean like "you don't like Monk"? ;) And there was nothing at all trollish intended in my post and I as well very much respect your opinion. I'm not arguing the Kings wouldn't be better offensively, I never did, the thing about the end of the season is whether or not those guard lineups would have worked or would have been tossed regardless. Would Fox, Ellis, Monk, and Davion all have gotten time? My bet would be no. The Kings were facing bigger teams and the injuries forced the Kings to play bigger since all the guards on the team right now are either small or lack physical strength to guard up. With the league getting bigger having a crop of 175 pound guards might not work as well.

Now is the point where Monte is going to actually have to start investing major money in the peripheral pieces so it's a different game now. Yes, it's effectiveness could change but that assumption is based on hope, not fact at this point even with as little information and proof there may be to glean information from. It is simply my opinion that it would be wise to not assume anything with this roster and the safer bet for Monte would be to be able to give himself an out before he hits the same wall Petrie did nearly 20 years ago where if and when you make moves it's either a total gamble (Artest) or incremental inches every step that are mostly sidesteps (take your pick of Reef, Moore, John Salmons, and so on and so on). If Fox and Domas weren't already on max deals and soon to be supermax type stuff with Fox the timeline would be different, but considering how much Monte has been looking at the trade market and saying this teams time is now, I think he understands that he's close to that point. If he can't add something to really help push the team then yes, I do think a back door is the way to go. Once Fox, Murray, Domas, and Monk are taking up pretty much all of your cap, you are what you are. That could be a contender and confidence is good, but we saw last season the potential downsides when the league looks a little different.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

I love Malik Monk but 25 million a year seems a little rich. Also not sure the Thunder need another guard but sure whatever.
The way teams throw money around every single offseason, it’s not surprising. The most surprising thing about Malik is that we got him for so cheap two offseasons ago as teams were throwing their cash around.

I love Malik Monk but 25 million a year seems a little rich. Also not sure the Thunder need another guard but sure whatever.
Do the Thunder really have cap space? I can't imagine they go fire a huge contract when they're going to have SO many dudes to pay in the upcoming years.

Chet and Williams are both max guys and up in 2 seasons
Giddey is up after next year, but they're probably fine letting him go. Wouldn't be surprised if he's traded this summer.
Jaylin Williams up in 2 seasons
Wiggins and Joe have club options and then UFA
Shai has 3 years left, but his next contract is going to be one of the biggest in the NBA with all his All-NBA/MVP type stuff he's going to rack up until then.

-No shot he goes to the Pistons, unless they just dropped a 40mil/season deal on him.. which... possible.

-Magic we've talked about, think they're one of the better available fits.

-Sixers is interesting and kind of a fun fit with Maxey in the back-court. Kind of similar idea to us with a star guard/star big that he'd be the 3rd guy off of.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Do the Thunder really have cap space? I can't imagine they go fire a huge contract when they're going to have SO many dudes to pay in the upcoming years.

Giddey is up after next year, but they're probably fine letting him go. Wouldn't be surprised if he's traded this summer.
Shai has 3 years left, but his next contract is going to be one of the biggest in the NBA with all his All-NBA/MVP type stuff he's going to rack up until then.
The Thunder have 30+ picks in the next seven drafts (and only one in this one!) and they're going to have to start cashing those in. That means two things to me - one is that Jaylin and Wiggins and Joe won't get paid by the Thunder because can just be replaced either via the draft or by trade. The other thing is that the Thunder could afford to take a risk on Monk with a bigger deal, because if it doesn't work out they can burn some picks to get him off of their hands. I think they've totally got the latitude to make that move if they want.

-No shot he goes to the Pistons, unless they just dropped a 40mil/season deal on him.. which... possible.

-Sixers is interesting and kind of a fun fit with Maxey in the back-court. Kind of similar idea to us with a star guard/star big that he'd be the 3rd guy off of.
The Thunder have 30+ picks in the next seven drafts (and only one in this one!) and they're going to have to start cashing those in. That means two things to me - one is that Jaylin and Wiggins and Joe won't get paid by the Thunder because can just be replaced either via the draft or by trade. The other thing is that the Thunder could afford to take a risk on Monk with a bigger deal, because if it doesn't work out they can burn some picks to get him off of their hands. I think they've totally got the latitude to make that move if they want.
To expand on @Capt. Factorial's post...

According to the following website: https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com...r-draft-pick-assets-protections-through-2030/

The following is what the Thunder's draft capital looks like for the next 7 drafts/years:

• Oklahoma City first-round pick
  • LA first-round pick
  • Houston top-four protected first-round pick
  • Utah top-10 protected first-round pick
The two worst of the four first-round picks will go to Dallas (second-least favorable) and Indiana (least favorable).

• Houston or LA first-round pick
  • Miami lottery-protected first-round pick
  • Philadelphia top-six protected first-round pick
  • Memphis or Boston second-round pick
  • Atlanta top 31-40 protected second-round pick
  • Oklahoma City second-round pick
  • Dallas or Philadelphia second-round pick
  • Golden State second-round pick
  • Denver top-five protected first-round pick
  • LA first-round pick swap
  • Minnesota second-round pick
  • Dallas first-round pick swap
  • Milwaukee second-round pick
  • Utah second-round pick
  • Denver top-five protected first-round pick
  • Atlanta second-round pick
  • Boston second-round pick
  • Houston second-round pick
  • Miami second-round pick
  • Phoenix second-round pick
  • Houston second-round pick
  • Miami second-round pick

Be afraid of the Pitsons. They don't make sense, and have money. Lol.

Monk in theory could easily start next to SGA. The greatest threat for the Kings is a team looking to save face. Monk as a last option for someone is the scary thing.
They have made it known they want more size at the 5. Maybe they mean as a back up but i think it’s more likely they start a bigger 5 next year

SGA
Dort
JDub
Chet
New center

that’s my prediction anyway.