NFL 2023-2024 Thread

SLAB

Hall of Famer
KC was like “Here take this game” for 3.5 quarters. If Brock was great, he would have taken it. If Kyle was to ever win a SB it was now. But Kyle was Kyle. Purdy was every bit the 7th rounder he is. Moody is the biggest blunder of the year. There’s no positive going to next year. There is none.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I hate and love you all. This sucks
Oddly feel more optimistic after this one than I did in 2019. Probably entirely based on the fact we didn’t see our QB crap himself on national television instead of keep the game close but the fact Brock pretty much went toe to toe with Mahomes all game until the defense just ran out of gas is encouraging to my little homer heart. The Niners also finally have their own picks to use again.

losing twice to the same team in the Superbowl is a stinger no doubt, as a Bengals fan watching them lose in the Superbowl, I feel for you folks. Slab at least saw it coming so he isn't on the edge

SLAB

Hall of Famer
losing twice to the same team in the Superbowl is a stinger no doubt, as a Bengals fan watching them lose in the Superbowl, I feel for you folks. Slab at least saw it coming so he isn't on the edge
I’m sitting back watching the world burn. People pretending there’s optimism are kidding themselves. Kyle will always Kyle. Never gonna happen. Goodnight. To quote Seth Rollins, “I hate football” and it’s never going to get better.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I’m sitting back watching the world burn. People pretending there’s optimism are kidding themselves. Kyle will always Kyle. Never gonna happen. Goodnight. To quote Seth Rollins, “I hate football” and it’s never going to get better.
Andy always Andy-ed until he finally didn’t.

I won't tell you how to fan but I can say that becoming numb to these things does wonders and helps you move on faster

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I feel like there’s a lot of vitriol aimed at Moody and Shanahan and not enough at random special team dude who had a punt bounce off his calf.

also the worst injury the Chiefs had was their backup defensive end getting an ouchie on his index finger while the Niners had their key cog linebacker tear his Achilles running onto the field and Deebo and Kittle both missed huge chunks of the game with moderate injuries

On the absolute bright side, the Niners absolutely have found their franchise QB.

On the negative side, every ****ing thing else
Franchise QB? I don't know. Seems not good enough to win against HOF superstar QB. Mr Irrelevant short (6'1"), more system QB, game manager. Especially concerned about all the passes batted down. Mahomes (6'2") very rarely batted down seeing angles better, quick decisions in the pocket to avoid big, tall linemen swatting his ball. Even HOF Super Bowl champ Drew Brees (6'0") rarely had passes batted away. Brock Purdy now joins Kaepernick and Garoppolo to lose the big game. Hopefully Purdy recovers from this and gets better since they never did.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Well, that stinks. On the bright side, I won't be buying like $500 of 49ers Super Bowl gear for my son, wife, and me. :rolleyes:

Watch Draper get on 1140 tomorrow and talk **** about Brock and the 49ers like he always does.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I won't tell you how to fan but I can say that becoming numb to these things does wonders and helps you move on faster
There’s a reason I’ve watched like 5 Kings games in total this year. The Warriors loss broke me as a fan. I just don’t care. And we’ll see how it tracks, but I don’t really want to continue caring here either. Life is so much easier when your team is utter crap.

That’s why I love the Giants more than the rest!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Well, that stinks. On the bright side, I won't be buying like $500 of 49ers Super Bowl gear for my son, wife, and me. :rolleyes:

Watch Draper get on 1140 tomorrow and talk **** about Brock and the 49ers like he always does.
Purdy deserves the Draper treatment for going JimmyG/Sanders right over Deebo’s head.

There’s a reason I’ve watched like 5 Kings games in total this year. The Warriors loss broke me as a fan. I just don’t care. And we’ll see how it tracks, but I don’t really want to continue caring here either. Life is so much easier when your team is utter crap.

That’s why I love the Giants more than the rest!
you're going through sport trauma, which is normal for us all. We cope in different ways and so having a forum to vent is a nice touch. Enjoy the journey and take it in stride, don't get too high or too low. Fandom becomes much more pleasurable.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Franchise QB? I don't know. Seems not good enough to win against HOF superstar QB. Mr Irrelevant short (6'1"), more system QB, game manager. Especially concerned about all the passes batted down. Mahomes (6'2") very rarely batted down seeing angles better, quick decisions in the pocket to avoid big, tall linemen swatting his ball. Even HOF Super Bowl champ Drew Brees (6'0") rarely had passes batted away. Brock Purdy now joins Kaepernick and Garoppolo to lose the big game. Hopefully Purdy recovers from this and gets better since they never did.
Purdy really not responsible for the defense just running out of gas to end the game.

Tough breaks on a freak punt hitting an ankle, which quickly turned into 7 points.....and then a blocked extra point. Wasn't meant to be this time, but they competed really well and made them earn it in the end.

Had this been the old rule of sudden death in overtime, they'd have won, like New England did in one of their wins

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Tough breaks on a freak punt hitting an ankle, which quickly turned into 7 points.....and then a blocked extra point. Wasn't meant to be this time, but they competed really well and made them earn it in the end.

Had this been the old rule of sudden death in overtime, they'd have won, like New England did in one of their wins
Hell it was probably the trauma of the New England OT FG in the 28-3 game that spurred Kyle to ask for the ball first instead of defer like he probably should have.

The window might be open for another year or two but It’s going to be tough to be as good or better positioned to win a championship than this team was.

Just left the door open all game.

You leave the door open for Mahomes. He’s going to walk in. Field goals with time remaining won’t beat him. When Tampa beat them. They stepped on their throat.

Didn’t think there was any way the Niners would blow this if the defense held the Chiefs to under 20 in regulation.

The difference between the Niners and Chiefs is if you hand something to the Chiefs, they’re going to take it. They win with house money. Niners flushed it.

The third quarter performance offensively and from Shanahan was killer. Completely ignored CMC when the Niners had the chance to sustain drives and land a deathblow after Mahomes threw the pick. Quick 4 and outs and the defense gets worn down to a nub.

Defense ultimately broke but I don’t blame them. They performed well but losing a Greenlaw in this style matchup is killer. They held strong but were let down time and time again on the other side of the ball and special teams. They played winning game.

Chiefs defense deserve credit. Most of the credit probably more than Mahomes. They had been the most impressive defense in the playoffs and were great tonight.

I thought Purdy played good but Chris Jones was blowing him up all game. He did miss Deebo on a touchdown in the first half but I thought he played well in the fourth.

Brock didn’t get good protection on third down whatsoever.

CMC came up big in the fourth. Not much imagination from Shanahan in the last red zone drive though.

Kittles bathroom break or whatever happened killed the Niners. He didn’t have a great game but he probably doesn’t have the first down and momentum negating penalty

The failed PAT is the games biggest ghost though. There was just no way that wasn’t coming back to haunt them

Sad ending. They had it

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
you're going through sport trauma, which is normal for us all. We cope in different ways and so having a forum to vent is a nice touch. Enjoy the journey and take it in stride, don't get too high or too low. Fandom becomes much more pleasurable.
This year for both the Kings and the 49ers I've tried to be hopeful but not expectant. Am I disappointed with the loss? Absolutely. Devastated? Nope. I have no impact on the game. I watch for fun. Intentionally trying to internally level out my ups and downs as a fan has helped a lot over the years. If they won I would have been absolutely stoked. But not expecting it has helped with the loss.

The 49ers had the momentum but couldn't figure out the pressure on offense the last offensive drive. Then the defense had a 2nd and 14 and then a 4th and 1 mid-field but could not contain Mahomes - totally expected........ Mahomes won the game on runs as expected........49ers and Shanahan completely fail the 3rd Quarter on offense.....Shanahan didn't get back to the run fast enough, and then the goof on the punt gifted the Chiefs a 20 yard short field for a TD drive and then of course the point after miss from Moody. Purdy looked gassed the last drive of their offense as well. Jennings had a great game, but Purdy looked average - thought he didn't scramble enough like he did vs Lions. No interceptions is a plus, but he's gotta check-down more quickly. I'm not too disappointed, but feel like the game was there for the taking with all the Chiefs mistakes (interception and drive extending penalties).. 49ers failed to capitalize on offense. 49ers Defense gets A- while the offense gets a B-, Special Teams C. Chiefs defense gets A- with offense getting a C+, Special Teams A. So the Chiefs win the close game really on Special teams on the 2 plays. The turnover and the missed point were capitalized on. 49ers did not capitalize on their last drive failing to score a TD. . Key was a the 2nd and 4 that got stuffed creating a 3rd and 4.....a timeout on 2nd and 4 or even 3rd aend 4 might've been warranted, to discuss and draw up a creative play.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
This year for both the Kings and the 49ers I've tried to be hopeful but not expectant. Am I disappointed with the loss? Absolutely. Devastated? Nope. I have no impact on the game. I watch for fun. Intentionally trying to internally level out my ups and downs as a fan has helped a lot over the years. If they won I would have been absolutely stoked. But not expecting it has helped with the loss.
Should be noted that one loss doesn’t negate the good moments from which we extracted joy throughout the season. those still happened.

Hell it was probably the trauma of the New England OT FG in the 28-3 game that spurred Kyle to ask for the ball first instead of defer like he probably should have.
I would think that "analytics" or common sense would tell you to always defer. Then you know whether or not you have to on 4th down, based on what the opponent does. Seems pretty basic