Kings trade rumor SZN 2023-2024 edition!

We'll find out after the deadline who he really thinks should be playing regularly
I don't think coach Brown is the type of coach that decides his rotation dependent on boosting their trade value. If he did, he would be playing the heck out of Davion, HB and Huerter and he hasn't even been running any plays for them to showcase them (except for this last HB game).

IMHO Coach Brown plays the players he feels gives the team the best chance to win (right or wrong).

Would the Kings do Barnes + Mitchell for Duncan Robinson and Caleb Martin? Miami needs a starting PF and a back up PG and the Kings get a athletic do it all SF in Martin (Murray moves to PF) and another elite floor spacer in Robinson (could look to move Huerter in another deal or keep both).

My dream scenario would be Barnes + Mitchell + top 15-20 protected pick/salary filler if needed for Robinson (40% 3)/Martin (40% 3 assuming low attempts)/Jovic (41% 3 on low attempts and elite passing but still super raw)..

Last edited:
Would the Kings do Barnes + Mitchell for Duncan Robinson and Caleb Martin? Miami needs a starting PF and a back up PG and the Kings get a athletic do it all SF in Martin (Murray moves to PF) and another elite floor spacer in Robinson (could look to move Huerter in another deal or keep both).

My dream scenario would be Barnes + Mitchell + top 15-20 protected pick/salary filler if needed for Robinson (40% 3)/Martin (40% 3 assuming low attempts)/Jovic (41% 3 on low attempts and elite passing but still super raw)..
I did read somewhere that the Heat were open to moving Martin. I haven’t really seen much of him but seems he plays bigger than 6’5”. Both he and Robinson went undrafted whereas Barnes and Mitchell both top ten.
Guess you never know for sure.

I did read somewhere that the Heat were open to moving Martin. I haven’t really seen much of him but seems he plays bigger than 6’5”. Both he and Robinson went undrafted whereas Barnes and Mitchell both top ten.
Guess you never know for sure.
I like Caleb Martin a lot. I’m pretty sure @The_Jamal feels the same.

He’s sort of what you would hope Duarte could become. Similar size/length, good defender, high motor, decent shooter, can pass/handle a bit, lower usage, higher IQ, etc. He could potentially start for us at SG as well.

He’s sort of what you would hope Duarte could become. Similar size/length, good defender, high motor, decent shooter, can pass/handle a bit, lower usage, higher IQ, etc. He could potentially start for us at SG as well.
Good info, appreciate it. Seems like another, not so flashy move that would make a difference.
I don’t really see the Kings being that far off. Respect seems to be a major issue and that can‘t be denied once we start winning some of those close heart wrenchers.

Ohh yeah. I've been on the Martin twins for years, but am surprised Caleb surpassed Cody in terms of production. He's a perfect fit here; flexible quality wing defender that's an elite shooter and doesn't take a lot of USG.

He's significantly better than Duarte and he's an actual flexible 2-4 defender. Kind of like how Alex Caruso is the best case scenario for what we would hope Davion develops into, Caleb Martin is like the best case scenario for what we'd hope Duarte develops into. Him and Keegan on the wings would give us a good chance at a solid defense.

Speaking of which, I'd absolutely go snag Cody Martin with CHA selling and buy-low on him. He's been hurt the last few years, but he was SO good in 21-22. Shouldn't cost us more than a contract and a 2nd.

it’s the guys I’ve been saying the entire time
Guess what? I think the Kings have literally been linked to EVERY SINGLE RUMORED PLAYER ON THE BLOCK. lol. I can see maybe a straight across deal for some unused pieces. O'Neal is a FA this summer and I would almost totally expect gettable with the MLE should Monte want to go there. Even though he'd be a nice fit, DFS for picks would be a poor decision. Maybe something like Davion/filler?

Guess what? I think the Kings have literally been linked to EVERY SINGLE RUMORED PLAYER ON THE BLOCK. lol. I can see maybe a straight across deal for some unused pieces. O'Neal is a FA this summer and I would almost totally expect gettable with the MLE should Monte want to go there. Even though he'd be a nice fit, DFS for picks would be a poor decision. Maybe something like Davion/filler?
If we had to flip 2 FRP for anyone available, DFS is at the top of my list over LaVine, Grant and Kuzma. Easily.

If we had to flip 2 FRP for anyone available, DFS is at the top of my list over LaVine, Grant and Kuzma. Easily.
does that not make you nervous? He is signed for this year and then one more year. He will almost assuredly opt out the year after that. I dunno, that leaves us very little flexibility moving forward. Marcus Smart was traded for 2 first rounders. He has flaws but that’s an impact defender. Is DFS a top 20 wing defender in your opinion?

I'm not sure I'd flip 2 picks for any of those guys considering the Kings having to trade ones so deep to do it. DFS is a good solid role player although his offense is sketchy when it comes to both productivity and shooting percentages but flipping star packages for role guys is waaay too dangerous even if they fit like a glove. Now, if you could somehow end up with both a star talent AND someone like DFS do it all day. Maybe like a player like Bojan or LaVine and him. That would be a trajectory changing haul potentially.

does that not make you nervous? He is signed for this year and then one more year. He will almost assuredly opt out the year after that. I dunno, that leaves us very little flexibility moving forward. Marcus Smart was traded for 2 first rounders. He has flaws but that’s an impact defender. Is DFS a top 20 wing defender in your opinion?
This season DFS has a lower defensive rating than every single rotational King other than Barnes and Davion at 119.

Which by the way shows exactly why things like individual defensive rating are crap stats. Bad team, bad stats, that's the correlation.

By the way, the Kings offense is the thing that's fallen this season if you go by the numbers. Well, actually it's also that simply put the game is even more offensive based (yet again!) and teams have stepped up around the Kings talent wise. I was just looking at the NBA ratings this year and the Kings offense this year is good for 13th best in the league. The defense is around where the Kings wanted to be should their hold as best on offense carry on which is 17th. Top 20 was a good mark for a team like this. LAST YEAR. The crazy thing is the Kings record as best ever on offense is in danger of not only not holding but this one season could push them down to 8th all time in one fell swoop should the current rankings stay as they are. They probably won't but yes, the game of basketball is BROKEN. Last year the Nuggets won a ring as the lowest rated defensive team for a champion ever at 15th in defensive rating.

Now, the question is whether or not the Kings going for more defensive personnel is on it's own the clear answer. Now, I'm not talking 2 way stars or not adding defensively capable players, clearly the Kings need that. Nobody can argue that. I'm talking rotational players like Finney-Smith, O'Neal, Thybulle, etc at a higher value. In looking at the teams with currently better records than Sacramento that have higher defensive ratings but lower offensive ratings the only two teams that make the cut at a quick glance are the TWolves and Cavs. The Kings big spot isn't remotely like those two teams. In terms of build the Kings do seem to be far more like the Nuggets. The Jokic/Domas debate is what it is, Jokic is an MVP level player, so on the surface is an Aaron Gordon on steroids to make up the gap the missing piece? Or is a build into a bit of a different direction the way? This is why I think making up the talent gap around Domas, Keegan, and Fox at one spot is crucial. Then adding a role playing defender at the other makes perfect sense.

This season DFS has a lower defensive rating than every single rotational King other than Barnes and Davion at 119.

Which by the way shows exactly why things like individual defensive rating are crap stats. Bad team, bad stats, that's the correlation.
yeh individual defensive rating seems fairly useless as far as I can tell. If DFS is the defensive floor general type I could be talked into a deal. I don’t know if that’s him or not. We have one guy that really talks on defense and it’s Domas. We need a hound.

This isn’t to crap on Barnes he’s playing amazing but I just don’t think it lasts. But the way we look with him playing like this will probably be how we’d look with offensive upgrades in Kuzma/Grant just a thought
I agree. If you could just get 17 from Barnes none of these conversations even happen. I mean a career high at age 31 is obviously the exception. But the post turnarounds is something he hasn’t done all year. I mean why did that just start? That’s the question. Who’s fault was it that he only stood in the corner most of the time?

Best trade - no trade ...
Haha, Monte's trying to contend, and not likely looking to move talent for need anyway. Actually, if Brown keeps Barnes as a focus of the offense then maybe a 3 and D player at the SG spot like Brown tried with Duarte could work? Hmmm.... the issue is and always will be that Barnes will eventually stop feasting but even if he goes back to being a 17 per game player with Keegans defense and shooting next to him, roster balance might be in sight.

Haha, Monte's trying to contend, and not likely looking to move talent for need anyway. Actually, if Brown keeps Barnes as a focus of the offense then maybe a 3 and D player at the SG spot like Brown tried with Duarte could work? Hmmm.... the issue is and always will be that Barnes will eventually stop feasting but even if he goes back to being a 17 per game player with Keegans defense and shooting next to him, roster balance might be in sight.
It is all about playoff at the end …
If we have KH and HB playing like last few games and fox at the level from first 20-25 games we will be contender for conference final for sure (with a bit of luck with draw … )

Yeah, he is. Very confident DFS is one of the best role players in the NBA and is one of the few fits next to Domas that can actually work.

And to be clear, I don't think any of these guys are worth their asking price. Moreso if we HAD to pull the trigger on one of them, I'd take DFS over the other 3 very easily.

I think you could get DFS for a contract+ 1 FRP though. And that's significantly better than multiple FRP for any of the "star" talent available.

I agree. If you could just get 17 from Barnes none of these conversations even happen. I mean a career high at age 31 is obviously the exception. But the post turnarounds is something he hasn’t done all year. I mean why did that just start? That’s the question. Who’s fault was it that he only stood in the corner most of the time?
They tried to make room for Keegan to grow and it went too far. 30 a game isn’t sustainable but 13-15 a game with great efficiency is