Kings trade rumor SZN 2023-2024 edition!

I would be beyond wary trading for Siakam knowing full well there is a high likelihood you’re getting half a season out of him. The price is too steep to pay, I would look elsewhere. Not a question of talent, but given his strong (and very public) desire to stay in Toronto and his outside shooting percentages, I wouldn’t risk it. I’d rather sell the farm for Mikal Bridges and that would most certainly have to include Keegan. One of the few players in the league I’d entertain the idea of trading Keegan for. He’s the right age, the right fit, good outside shooter and there has been some recent frustration from the Nets recently, though nothing super significant. If not, then maybe target Grant from the Blazers, but I’d avoid giving Keegan up in that scenario.

I would be beyond wary trading for Siakam knowing full well there is a high likelihood you’re getting half a season out of him. The price is too steep to pay, I would look elsewhere. Not a question of talent, but given his strong (and very public) desire to stay in Toronto and his outside shooting percentages, I wouldn’t risk it. I’d rather sell the farm for Mikal Bridges and that would most certainly have to include Keegan. One of the few players in the league I’d entertain the idea of trading Keegan for. He’s the right age, the right fit, good outside shooter and there has been some recent frustration from the Nets recently, though nothing super significant. If not, then maybe target Grant from the Blazers, but I’d avoid giving Keegan up in that scenario.
Bridges is awesome but why would the Nets trade him? he has probably the best value contract in the league, is young and one of the top two way players in the game. He isn’t a number one option but could be a number two in the right situation. If the Nets did trade him it would need to be for a disgruntled superstar. The better bet is they package all those picks and a couple young players for a star if one becomes available

He’s been at 31.5% the last 4 seasons (counting this one).

But putting that aside for a second, I’ve mentioned in previous posts that I think Siakam is a talent upgrade and would make this team better than it is today (he’s just leaps and bounds better than Barnes) but the fit & spacing makes me question if it would be good enough to actually reach title contender level. And if it doesn’t, we’ve essentially capped out our team and have minimal assets to try and improve further.

Defenses really start scheming and adjusting to your roster in the playoffs. I could see the team looking really good in the regular season only to have teams try and take advantage of Sabonis’ and Siakam’s lack of shooting to neutralize our #1 scoring option (Fox).

You couple that “fit” risk, with the risk that he could walk in the off-season for nothing and the risk that we’d essentially have minimal assets to improve the team further, and it’s a no for me. At least in Anunoby’s case, I didn’t have the same “fit” concerns (and he’s many years younger than Siakam) making that risk a bit more worth it from my perspective.
Spewing about fit and spacing again? I imagine you didn’t watch yesterday’s game or any of his last couple of games to make that conclusion. But whatever you’ll continue your take without having any coherent explanation (other than 3pt shooting blah blah blah which by the way went up 2% after the game and oh by the way he’s shooting over 40% since start of Dec) or video proof to back it up. If Siakam is a fit risk, then everyone not named Giannis/Durant/Lebron is.

What Monte needs to strongly consider is if goal is to be a championship contending team in say 2-4 years, what is the path to get there. We can’t do it with our current core. And players like OG, Grant, etc while nice would be option #4 or 5 on the contending teams. If we don’t make a big splash effort to get a 3rd all star at least by the off-season, we would be wrong to assume we can resign Fox after the 2025-26 season.

Last edited:
Spewing about fit and spacing again? I imagine you didn’t watch yesterday’s game or any of his last couple of games to make that conclusion. But whatever you’ll continue your take without having any coherent explanation (other than 3pt shooting blah blah blah which by the way went up 2% after the game and oh by the way he’s shooting over 40% since start of Dec) or video proof to back it up. If Siakam is a fit risk, then everyone not named Giannis/Durant/Lebron is.

What Monte needs to strongly consider is if goal is to be a championship contending team in say 2-4 years, what is the path to get there. We can’t do it with our current core. And players like OG, Grant, etc while nice would be option #4 or 5 on the contending teams. If we don’t make a big splash effort to get a 3rd all star at least by the off-season, we would be wrong to assume we can resign Fox after the 2025-26 season.
So let’s try this a different way (since you somehow still think swapping good shooters with bad shooters will create more space for Fox when the ball is in his hands)…what are you proposing we trade for Siakam?

Bridges is awesome but why would the Nets trade him? he has probably the best value contract in the league, is young and one of the top two way players in the game. He isn’t a number one option but could be a number two in the right situation. If the Nets did trade him it would need to be for a disgruntled superstar. The better bet is they package all those picks and a couple young players for a star if one becomes available
Not saying the Nets would do it (probably wouldn’t) but I’d rather see Monte try to reach for Bridges than get half a season rental for Siakam. Siakam is a good player, don’t get me wrong, and he would help us in some aspects, but him signing an extension here is very unlikely. For that reason alone, I wouldn’t go for it. Grant is a more realistic target, but does have a very large contract to consider. Monte, as usual, keeping things very close to the chest.

Not saying the Nets would do it (probably wouldn’t) but I’d rather see Monte try to reach for Bridges than get half a season rental for Siakam. Siakam is a good player, don’t get me wrong, and he would help us in some aspects, but him signing an extension here is very unlikely. For that reason alone, I wouldn’t go for it. Grant is a more realistic target, but does have a very large contract to consider. Monte, as usual, keeping things very close to the chest.
Bridges isn’t even an option though the target needs to be Grant

Mostly likely with Monte limited on assets or what he's willing to move, it was never anything but LaVine, lol. At least not right now. And honestly, I think if it's something not even involving a future 1st Monte is right on the money. It obviously makes sense for Monte to wait for a few weeks to see what else might come up but Monte needs to have some type of standing offer for LaVine if Monte is looking for a talent bump. If Monte were willing to bite on Beal but not LaVine I'm not really sure what it would all be about. They are both the same basic player on bad to horrid contracts if not able to play to their potential. LaVine is actually a better all around player and contract.

dude12

Hall of Famer
At this point, I’m shopping Huerter and Sasha ( if you’re not going to play him) and Davion but I’m not looking for a big name. Go get a guy like Dorian Finney Smith or similar role player. Just make sure you can sign Monk in the offseason

There are surprisingly very few teams who could use an upper tier wing. I came up with:

Kings
Pacers
Lakers
Grizz
Golden State (maybe)

the rest are either set at both wings, only shooting for super stars (Knicks) or are crap teams not looking to buy.

If Golden state buys that frees up Wigs. Don’t think the Lakers will be in on the forwards but who knows. That really leaves the Pacers and Grizz as our biggest competition. Pacers are intriguing with a Jarace Walker to dangle but these whipper snappers would have to put aside the boujee lifestyle to live in cold country. Grizz have an unstable star.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I haven't done one of these in awhile, but here goes...

I'm combining a couple of rumors (mainly that Atlanta wants out on Dejounte Murray and Clint Capela and has been interested in adding Pascal Siakam) with my unimpeachable desire to add Onyeka Okongwu to this Kings roster...

NOTE: I'm pretty sure the only reason this trade doesn't work on the trade checker tool (currently) is that Dejounte Murray can't be traded until January 5th.

Okongwu has a Poison Pill contract (which counts for 8.1 Mill in outgoing salary for Atlanta but 14 Mill in incoming salary for whoever picks him) so it's a challenge to get the salary cap numbers this close.

Why for Atlanta is easy -- they add an All-Star big to a lineup which is underperforming this year and get do-overs on both the Kevin Huerter trade and the Dejounte Murray contract extension. The hope for them would be that they can recover this season and make a playoff run with a re-configured roster.

Why for Toronto is also easy. If Siakam wants out, this gets them a young All-Star PG who averaged 21pts/9ast/8reb/2stl per game in San Antonio before partnering with Trae Young in Atlanta and a decent depth option at C to replace Siakam who fits their defense-first style of play. Immanuel Quickley has only started 28 games in his first 3 1/3 seasons in the league so I don't think having him on the roster would prevent Toronto from grabbing Dejounte Murray while he's on the trade block.

Why for the Kings? We'd be buying low on a defensive PF/C who I think would pair up well with Fox and Sabonis as a screen setter, lob catcher/dunker, multi-position defender, rebounder and shot blocker. He can also slide over to backup C and share the floor with Vezenkov at times opening more rotation minutes for a guy that many of us would like to see on the floor more for the Kings. Bey (if we re-sign him) gives us a young backup SF who has at times excelled as both a shooter and a defender but keeps finding himself as the odd man out on bad teams with too many young forwards.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'm pretty sure Bey might be gettable with part of the MLE in the summer. We have to see what the Hawks do but they have a serious glut at G/F.
Sure, I buy that. He's really just a throw-in to match salaries in this deal though and I think a lot of us are ready to move on from Huerter anyway so the whole "wait and get Bey in the summer instead" idea isn't a reason not to make this trade. If we can get him now and see how he fits for our 2024 playoff run why not do that, right?

I wish I knew what happened last off-season with Kuzma. Did he really turn down the kings because of role? He signed a relatively cheap contract so he didn’t go back to the Wiz for money. He had to know they were going to be rebuilding and he would eventually get traded to a team not necessarily of his choosing. We may never know.

This sounds nice on paper :

The closing lineup of Fox, Malik Monk, Keegan Murray, Siakam, and Sabonis would be a nightmare for opposing teams.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Hey, hey! Ho, ho!
Harrison Barnes has to go!

Hey, hey! Ho, ho!
Harrison Barnes has to go!
And as soon as Barnes goes, somebody else will get immediately nominated to be the guy who gets picked on. Seen it enough times, folks.

Well, if you send off Barnes AND Huerter AND Davion for Siakam, then in two weeks the bete noire of the board will be...Pascal Siakam, and the torches and pitchforks will be out there screaming that it's a good thing he's an expiring contract and we didn't need those 2 FRPs anyway. Seen it enough times, folks.

And as soon as Barnes goes, somebody else will get immediately nominated to be the guy who gets picked on. Seen it enough times, folks.

Well, if you send off Barnes AND Huerter AND Davion for Siakam, then in two weeks the bete noire of the board will be...Pascal Siakam, and the torches and pitchforks will be out there screaming that it's a good thing he's an expiring contract and we didn't need those 2 FRPs anyway. Seen it enough times, folks.
Are you saying barnes isn’t a scrub? He shouldn’t be starting for a team that’s serious about making a playoff run that was evident back in his prime when he was laying wide open bricks in the finals