IST Quarterfinals: New Orleans Pelicans at Sacramento Kings, 12/4/2023, 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern (TNT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It feels bad because the kings had a huge lead and pissed it away with stupidity.

Just didn't value the game at all, I'm talking about those turnovers they had in the first half it was like 5 in a row I think.

Didn't deserve the win.

Will note that I was watching kind of on and off during that turnover time but I think that's what happened.
to be fair, that huge lead was only for 8 minutes. New Orleans had closed the gap by the end of the first and then went on their huge run.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I don’t have faith in this team winning anything without changes. We are what we are, a solid playoff team but not a contender.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Chuck is sortof right. The problem for the Kings this season (and last season) is that rely too much on three pointers to pull them out of holes. Getting stops more consistently would help to avoid getting into those big holes in the first place. We're missing a piece on defense -- someone who can matchup with length and size in the paint...

What Chuck seems to have forgotten about is that the Kings were getting a lot of layups and dunks in the first quarter off the dribble handoff. Healthy Keegan was also mixing a lot of back down midrange jumpers into the offense earlier in the season. Getting Keegan healthy and back on his grind would also do wonders for our offense.

We're not going anywhere as a just shooting team.

I've been saying we desperately need a tough 3/4 type guy that can defend wings and be passable on offense or we are not going anywhere in the playoffs.
I’m not suggesting we rely on the shooting but if you are built largely to shoot you can’t lose the percentage battle very often or the results won’t be there.

The Kings played well enough to qualify for the In-Season Tournament Quarterfinals in the first place and it was a 5pt game mid-way through the 4th. From that point on we had open shots that didn't fall and they had open shots that did. That's not a matter of being outclassed, that's just a bad roll of the dice.

These teams played even tonight with each team taking turns going on a huge run and they ended up on top. Allowances should also be made for the Kings "fouling" the Pelicans with their faces twice. That set the tone that their physicality was going to be rewarded and we were going to be playing behind. I'll give it up to the Pelicans for forcing the issue and being physical enough to take us out of our gameplan for around 20 minutes. They also have a better bench unit than we do and Ingram is a helluva shot-maker.

I give them props for being a good team and they're going to be a tough matchup for everyone this season. But considering the Kings have already beaten almost every contender in the west this season besides the Pelicans, I don't think they're a better team than the Kings and I don't think three games is a big enough sample to abandon all hope.
Pels if healthy are a top 6 team in the West. But that’s a big if. This was only the 2nd game all year they’ve had Zion, BI, McCollum, and Murphy playing together. Murphy is their Keegan, he is a major piece for that team. And their rook Hawkins has looked really nice in place of McCollum even though he didn’t see the court today.

Another night where are opponent outshoots us from 3. 45-34 percent. That is now the 7th time that has happened in our 8 losses. IMO that is our biggest issue. We can’t have that as a shooting team that plays at best average defense.
The shooting pretty much falls on Fox today too; 1-7 from 3. Without him, we were 13-34 from 3 for 38%. Which is more than good enough for what we expect from the ancillary guys.

Really do think it was as simple as Pelicans torching us in that first half stretch without Keegan, Fox inexplicably turning the ball over like 4 times in a row the late 1st/early 2nd and Fox just having his worst overall game of the year where we were actively worse with him on the floor for a good chunk of tonight. HB remains a massive problem on defense, especially if his offense is going to keep up with this disappearing act.

Kingz19

Hall of Famer
Felt much like a home letdown from last season.

Where the Kings got off to a hot start and expect the opponent to roll over and die. Then seemed unprepared for when they don’t. Kings have nursed leads pretty well this season. They had a free fall in this one though.

Kings miss way too many open threes.

Huerter’s three bricks on shootaround quality open threes pretty much sucked the air out of our last good push. Trey also bricked wide open threes.

Pelicans players seemed to hit their threes when left wide open.

Pelicans appear to be a tough matchup for the Kings though. Kings need to get in on that long athletic wing action. I know Keegan but we can use a couple more.

We can start by looking at HB. 4 points and 4 rebounds in 31 minutes. You would think you can say the guy tore it up defensively atleast… of course he didn’t and hasn’t. I like the guy. He’s been a pro. He’s been here awhile now..but Kings can get more skilled and more athletic in every facet at that position probably not for much cost at this point. HB isn’t making a positive impact out there most nights.

The bench was bad in this game. Monk came in hot but then had a drought and nobody else off the bench scored until the late third or early 4th I think.

Fox played better in the second half but that stretch where he had 4 points and 5 turnovers pretty much ruined the game. He hasn’t played to his standard in any of the Pelicans games this season.

Domas had a strong triple double game. I also liked that he made all 10 of his free throws.

Keegan was good. Just happy he got back in the game.

Keon had a nice stint

Lyles had a rough one.

Javale didn’t make an impact in his game.

neither did Sasha.

Huerter was bad in the second half

Was there an announcement I missed on Chris Duarte? He wasn’t on the active roster tonight

Everyone keeps talking about this Brand new Keegan. I don’t know what I’m missing because I’ve seen the exact same Keegan as last year but with better defense. He still has zero play making ability. He either passes it immediately, or shoots, I guess now he takes two dribbles then passes but nothing to suggest he will ever develop into a number two Guy like we need him to be.

Am I missing it?

hrdboild

Staff member
IMO, if Zion gets in shape, they are a better team than the kings.
It's not going to happen in 6 months. I'd actually be surprised if it ever happens. This is who he's been for the last 8 years.

yeah to add insult to injury, two of the long wings that kicked our ass Herb Jones and Trey Murphy were picked after Davion.
Reset the clock.

Pels if healthy are a top 6 team in the West. But that’s a big if. This was only the 2nd game all year they’ve had Zion, BI, McCollum, and Murphy playing together. Murphy is their Keegan, he is a major piece for that team. And their rook Hawkins has looked really nice in place of McCollum even though he didn’t see the court today.
I'm not a Pelicans fan. Yes they're a good team. Top 6 in the West, sure. So are the Kings. I'm still picking my guys to win every time. Boston is the only team that scares me. Everyone else I think is beatable. And Boston lost tonight too!

hrdboild

Staff member
Everyone keeps talking about this Brand new Keegan. I don’t know what I’m missing because I’ve seen the exact same Keegan as last year but with better defense. He still has zero play making ability. He either passes it immediately, or shoots, I guess now he takes two dribbles then passes but nothing to suggest he will ever develop into a number two Guy like we need him to be.

Am I missing it?
If you didn't watch him play this season before the back injury, than yeah you missed it. The two dribbles and pass thing is cause he's playing hurt. He was balling out last month before the injury.

You got a good team. I’m happy for you cause your saints are horrid! 49ers season is just heating up for our run to the Super Bowl!

yeah half of the fan base wants them to lose out for a new coach and Lsu QB. The bad thing is that our division is so bad that we can still win it smh. The 49ers are a regular season team, so I’m not surprised. I wait until the playoffs to see what they do. Only 1 team wins the sb and you never know on any given sunday. I actually have the Chiefs repeating. They are a playoff team and the nfl wants Mahomes to be the next Brady. The Pelicans have to carry the torch right now for us.

If you didn't watch him play this season before the back injury, than yeah you missed it. The two dribbles and pass thing is cause he's playing hurt. He was balling out last month before the injury.
I have not missed a single game this season or last and been to two live this year. He also made a few dunks last year. But he def doesn’t consistently attack and his 3 shot seemed more money last year if we being technical about it. How many fts he averaging this year and how many should be expected from a starting sf?

Status
Not open for further replies.