[Game] Kings @ Rockets, 11/6/2023 5pm Pacific 8pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with starting Monk is that you lose his firepower coming off the bench. I think it is more important to let Monk finish games than start at this point. Otherwise there is no reliable bench production.

Also, Davion has basically given us zero offense when he comes off the bench. When he starts, he at least gives us some offense. We need to get Davion going on offense somehow.

Also, Davion has basically given us zero offense when he comes off the bench. When he starts, he at least gives us some offense. We need to get Davion going on offense somehow.
I'm in the minority, but I thought Davion was alright on offence last game. He had a couple of well timed drives and relocated well for a catch and shoot three of Domas. I feel it's more realistic to expect him to score that way rather than forcing it as a mini Fox.

And I guess the point that SactownKid has been making - in no fewer than 1,000 posts - is that without Fox we only really have Monk who can genuinely attack off the dribble at this point in time.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I would start Monk and then sub him out using the Fox sub pattern…..start, out at 6 minute mark, back in when Domas comes out so that we have either Domas or Monk on floor. I like Davion but there is a reason he didn’t play in those last playoff games.

Brown should get creative if he has too utilizing his roster…Kessler for wing D, Ford to run offense, dude actually can create offense, Colby doing his all around game, Duarte D, Sasha needs to be willing to knock down the 3 ball. Got to have it

The problem with starting Monk is that you lose his firepower coming off the bench. I think it is more important to let Monk finish games than start at this point. Otherwise there is no reliable bench production.

Sactownkid said the same thing in the game thread.

My response is who cares? Lets make sure our starters can function properly again and Monk gives you like 70ish% of the same kind of skill-set that Fox does. Attacks downhill, attacks the rim, is the 3rd best playmaker on the team.

Davion has just been atrocious all season.

It might be time to pull the plug and move his minutes over to Colby/Duarte full-time. And see if we can still extract any sort of value from him now, because he's trending like someone who will bring in nothing this summer if he doesn't turn his season around quickly.

Jones might be. Duarte … meh
Duarte has been actually pretty good on defense, but his offensive has been terrible. Hasn't hit shots like 60% of the roster and he's been fouling like crazy basically every game. Fairly ok with him off the bench so far, but certainly not a guy I want to shove into a 30+ MPG role.

My response is who cares? Lets make sure our starters can function properly again and Monk gives you like 70ish% of the same kind of skill-set that Fox does. Attacks downhill, attacks the rim, is the 3rd best playmaker on the team.

It might be time to pull the plug and move his minutes over to Colby/Duarte full-time. And see if we can still extract any sort of value from him now, because he's trending like someone who will bring in nothing this summer if he doesn't turn his season around quickly.
Besides the last Houston game where everyone played horrible, the starting unit is not the problem. Our starting unit with Davion held the lead in both the 1st and 3rd quarter of the Warriors game, against a far superior team.

I don't think us losing the last 2 games is necessarily a function of bad play with Davion as the replacement PG with the starting unit. There are other bigger issues like our top 2 shooters all of the sudden can't shoot being the biggest problem.

I'm NOT suggesting someone smack Dillion, but if he keeps blowing kisses to the bench, then someone needs to put a body on him.

One person needs to step-up to this behavior at least.

I don't think us losing the last 2 games is necessarily a function of bad play with Davion as the replacement PG with the starting unit. There are other bigger issues like our top 2 shooters all of the sudden can't shoot being the biggest problem.
This!

If Huerter and Murray can't find the basket, then shots need to to go to other players, more mins need to go to other players, plays need to be ran for other players.

One game ago you were telling other posters to think about context, his 3 minutes at a time. Pretty big shift in one game?

Not enough of a sample size to pull the plug on anything. If Keegan and Huerter aren’t shooting 20% from 3 is this even a discussion? Now if we’re at game 20 and the numbers show the same absolutely look to make changes.

One game ago you were telling other posters to think about context, his 3 minutes at a time. Pretty big shift in one game?
How is this lack of context? This simply is the record of our Davion minutes this year. And the reality is we're getting demolished when he's on the floor. Of course, that's not all his fault and because the sample is so small, it's very swingy and changes drastically every game right now. But it's certainly not a good indicator going forward, especially in a crucial year 3 of his career for his development.

We've seen him for 2+ years now and the same issues he had as a rookie haven't gotten better; in most cases they've actually gotten worse. He's not a playmaker and the offense stalls when he's the primary ball-handler. One thing I have liked is when he moves off-ball, things actually seem to work quite a bit better. Hopefully, that's something Brown can install with him and let Fox/Monk/Colby/Domas be the primary initiators on offense. Because clearly, with a 2+ year sample now, Davion hasn't figured out how to be a primary facilitator

Besides the last Houston game where everyone played horrible, the starting unit is not the problem. Our starting unit with Davion held the lead in both the 1st and 3rd quarter of the Warriors game, against a far superior team.

The difference with our 2 shooters is they're going to positively regress to career norms sooner rather than later. It's impossible for them to keep being 20% 3pt shooters... they wouldn't be in the NBA otherwise. There's nothing inherently wrong with them; they're just missing shots they normally make. And both Keegs/Huerter have really picked it up defensively and on the glass to at least recoup some of their impact from their massive shooting slump.

Davion's issues are more so a macro problem with his development so far. He's not a primary facilitator (or at least we're just flat out better when Fox/Domas/Monk are in that role) he's not an elite shooter, he's not an elite scorer. Which is why you've seen him struggle so much to find a role offensively, even though his defense is among the best in the NBA (although that hasn't been as lockdown this season either).

dude12

Hall of Famer

Those plus minus numbers on Davion look about right to my eye test. I’ll say it again, Brown sat Davion during the playoffs for a reason, and I agree that the 3 point shooting by others is to fault as well but if we are shooting well, then Monk needs to be on the floor instead of .Davion.

Brown has his work cut out tonight.

How is this lack of context? This simply is the record of our Davion minutes this year.
My post was not saying that you were not considering context fairly for Davion. It was saying that one game ago, perhaps not even one full game ago, you were telling other posters who were down on Davion to remember his context. It just seems like such a sudden shift from 'lets be fair' to 'lets move on quickly'.

My post was not saying that you were not considering context fairly for Davion. It was saying that one game ago, perhaps not even one full game ago, you were telling other posters who were down on Davion to remember his context. It just seems like such a sudden shift from 'lets be fair' to 'lets move on quickly'.
I just looked back and I've been adamantly defending Huerter. Haven't really commented on Davion so far this year, outside of I really like the offense with him moved off-ball. Perhaps thinking of a different poster?

They should have kept Terence Davis on the roster to continue developing him. His ability to score is missed, especially in this situation with Fox out and Huerter not producing much. Monk and Davis as an athletic scoring guard combo, gives the ability to still function as a high octane offense, which is what should still be this team's identity.

But instead they went the route of change, just to make change. Probably as a knee jerk to game 7. We'll see how it works out, but I don't know that this roster is actually more dangerous than what we had last season.

I just looked back and I've been adamantly defending Huerter. Haven't really commented on Davion so far this year, outside of I really like the offense with him moved off-ball. Perhaps thinking of a different poster?
You're right, it was The Mobb who defended Davion, apologies. It must be the 'The' in the user name.

They should have kept Terence Davis on the roster to continue developing him. His ability to score is missed, especially in this situation with Fox out and Huerter not producing much. Monk and Davis as an athletic scoring guard combo, gives the ability to still function as a high octane offense, which is what should still be this team's identity.

But instead they went the route of change, just to make change. Probably as a knee jerk to game 7. We'll see how it works out, but I don't know that this roster is actually more dangerous than what we had last season.
I hear you on this one.... I've wondered the same, and also wondered why Davis hasn't landed anywhere. However, I think it's just too quick to jump to this conclusion. We are clearly taking one step back at the moment, in hopes of taking two steps forward by the end of the year. That's the gamble in my opinion with the ultra-focus on defense. I think if it's not working by the trade deadline we see something happen, otherwise, I feel like we need to give this a shot at working.

Status
Not open for further replies.