Votes: 14 40.0%
  • No - we need to another big move (s)!

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Wait and see....

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters

gunks

Hall of Famer
Seems this debate is going on in each thread so I figured, what the heck... Let's have ourselves a little poll!

Personally, I'm ok with running it back. I think a healthy Domas and a healthy Fox + 2nd year Keegan + organic growth and improved chemistry from another year under COTY Mike Brown will pay off.

Never mind the ridiculous contracts players like Grant (160 million holy ****) and Kuz (100 million, lol!) are getting. HB looking like a good deal right now and I'm not even really a fan!

Monte already cooked, now he's just letting everything simmer so the flavors can come together next season!

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Nope. Last year so many things went right. Our health. The lack of health for everyone else. We’ll be a playoff team, but as is I still just see us as first round fodder. Good enough when you were bad the past 17 years.
Yeah, I wouldn't even be so like wait and see if the Suns and Lakers moves didn't work so well last season. Then, the Suns now might have just blocked off the top 2 spots from everyone else anyway. Whatever they do likely determines where everyone else is for the next two seasons. If Sasha does come over and lives up to the hype I do think Monte will have to reorganize some things at the deadline around that. You can throw 12 bodies at bad teams all you want but when teams with a powerhouse talent core stick to it they'll slaughter the masses all day.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
If anyone can point to a single FA move that would make us better, be my guest lol.

What I'm still iffy on is selling 24. Let's see how we finish this out before I complain about it.
Yeah, it would have just been more about addressing need. If it comes down to star power Monte was likely always going to have to trade for it. The pressure is on Keegan now to fill the gap. Malik in a contract year might be great but it's still about the minutes. His uptick in minutes is clearly going to be tied to a downgrade for Huerter and if you play a Kevin Huerter 20 mpg what's the value in it really?

Too early to even know what we’re gonna do but I’ll vote “run it back” for now. Monte is definitely working those phones IMO, so, not sure how this’ll age in the coming days.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Nope. Last year so many things went right. Our health. The lack of health for everyone else. We’ll be a playoff team, but as is I still just see us as first round fodder. Good enough when you were bad the past 17 years.
I mean, we didn't have our main guys miss much time...but Fox, Domas, and Keegan all had broken hands against the (filthy filthy oh how I hate them) Warriors.

That series was so close, I think it could have broken (no pun intended) differently if our top guys were healthier. Heck, we could have won if Davion was more consistent from 3, maybe he gets there this offseason, Curry isn't dropping 50 on his head!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I mean, we didn't have our main guys miss much time...but Fox, Domas, and Keegan all had broken hands against the (filthy filthy oh how I hate them) Warriors.

That series was so close, I think it could have broken (no pun intended) differently if our top guys were healthier. Heck, we could have won if Davion was more consistent from 3, maybe he gets there this offseason, Curry isn't dropping 50 on his head!
Davion being so useless on offense he wasn’t used when Curry was killing us really really really soured me on him. I went through a roller coaster on Davion that series. I saw his defense and the light finally went off “KEEP HIM!” Then he was deemed so bad to barely play in the most important minutes of the season… trade him.

Davion being so useless on offense he wasn’t used when Curry was killing us really really really soured me on him. I went through a roller coaster on Davion that series. I saw his defense and the light finally went off “KEEP HIM!” Then he was deemed so bad to barely play in the most important minutes of the season… trade him.
I Disagree, Brown made a mistake not riding with Mitchell game 7 and Curry went off.

Nah.

His intangibles are too valuable to just dump.

Finding a decent shot doesn't sound too hard I'm sure he could do it.

If he does your opinion on him would change 100%.

I just think what you would lose from him isn't so easily replaceable and that him just getting a better shot sounds like the easiest solution.

Of course if he can't shoot after X amount of years then that's something else but I think he needs to be given a chance

Kingz19

Hall of Famer
If there is any feeling of letdown..it’s because they had a lot of us expecting some major moves when they freed up all that space moving our 24th pick with Holmes.

As it stands now, it appears we didn’t really need to urgently move Richaun’s deal to bring back HB, Trey, sign Sasha(which we haven’t done yet) and trade for Duarte. So that’s kinda boring. Especially for those of us who would’ve really liked to keep that 24th pick. I guess they just didn’t want to pass up an opportunity to move Richaun without taking any salary back.

As for free agency..I’m not terribly let down. The only free agents I wanted the Kings to move on would’ve been a Grant Williams or PJ Washington to take over the 4…but just because guys may be available doesn’t always mean they are available to you. Jerami Grant is another guy I wanted, but not for near what he got.

I like the Duarte trade. A lot seem pretty cold on it. There are a multitude of quickly identifiable reasons he had a rough season last year and found himself out of favor that have nothing to do with his ability or upside.

I’m more concerned about his health than I am about his sophomore numbers. I’m comfortable we can expect more of a pickup from his rookie season here.

My excitement for Sasha hasn’t waned. Kings figure to be even more lethal offensively next season.

In the end, The Kings are nearly top to bottom a team of players in the early stages of their primes. You can realistically expect some sort of leap from almost everybody 1-10 except HB and Lyles who I think are where they are. Couple that with continuity I do expect the Kings to be an improved team next season.

Still want a big though, even though it’s sure to just be a part time player with Trey returning.

Last edited:
Let's ignore the huge issues of defense, rebounding, athleticism, etc.

If we ignore it, then it'll just go away (when we run ot back).
Here's the thing though, Monte can only really fix that by changing out some of his core role guys like Huerter, Barnes, Lyles, Murray, etc. Fox and Domas are the pieces you don't change. The 10 mpg max and not even playing in some games was the defensive role last year for Kessler and KZ. That ain't fixing anything even though it helped some here and there. This will have to be schemed away and it could be. The Kings jumped up to around the middle range in defensive rating for a stretch last season. The major issue is the offense can't falter if they make the playoffs again. The question is who is going to bail out the team if Fox isn't doing his best MJ impression again?

gunks

Hall of Famer
Let's ignore the huge issues of defense, rebounding, athleticism, etc.

If we ignore it, then it'll just go away (when we run ot back).
lol... kind of my thoughts when we resigned HB.

I think Keegan might be able to step it up on the boards and at least get us 6 per. I also expect his defense to continue to improve.

Team defense will hopefully improve with another year under Brown... although we'll probably always be middling at best with this roster, unfortunately.

Nah.

His intangibles are too valuable to just dump.

Finding a decent shot doesn't sound too hard I'm sure he could do it.

If he does your opinion on him would change 100%.

I just think what you would lose from him isn't so easily replaceable and that him just getting a better shot sounds like the easiest solution.

Of course if he can't shoot after X amount of years then that's something else but I think he needs to be given a chance
The thing is though is what that value is long term vs. another team. If Davion ends up that 16-18 mpg player like he was last year then that certainly has a cap and if he is that good a team will come snooping around and do what the Lakers did to the Heat with Gabe Vincent. With Fox playing his role MLE level money on a backup PG will cement your cap in the wrong way. Monte still has time to wait but the trade value goes down in relation to his value on the open market.

I think better balance.
Let's say Dillion Brooks (1 signing).

Roll out . . .
Fox. Davion
Monk. Huerter
Brooks. Barnes
Keegs. Sasha
Sabonis. Lyles

I'd really like to see Huerter moved.

Fox. Davion
Brooks Monk
Barnes. (Huerter's replacement)
Keegs. Sasha
Sabonis. Lyles

The thing is though is what that value is long term vs. another team. If Davion ends up that 16-18 mpg player like he was last year then that certainly has a cap and if he is that good a team will come snooping around and do what the Lakers did to the Heat with Gabe Vincent. With Fox playing his role MLE level money on a backup PG will cement your cap in the wrong way. Monte still has time to wait but the trade value goes down in relation to his value on the open market.
If Davion improves his outside shot is there a scenario where he actually starts alongside Fox?

Davion guards the point guard Fox the 2 and well the offense is the offense

If Davion improves his outside shot is there a scenario where he actually starts alongside Fox?

Davion guards the point guard Fox the 2 and well the offense is the offense
I don't think so but if it does happen again it's like strings that are connected. If one is pulled another is along with it. If he starts what does that make Huerter? You're paying Huerter starter money as it is. Those 16-18 minutes go to Huerter now? Monte is going to have to consolidate at some point he's not going to be able to escape it. Every team does. Petrie did with Hedo, BoJax, etc.

But adding Sasha and to a lesser point Duarte is not running it back…..but yeah, I’m good running it back with these smaller adjustments
There is something to be said about keeping the chemistry of the team and making minor adjustments. Adding a big name on a 20-30 million contract immediately changes the culture.

It could also be Monte thinking the team has players Brown didn't use, like Kessler and Queta. Forcing Brown's hands to use the players Monte already brought in. Monte went ahead and brought in 3 more 6'7ish light skinned dudes to go along with Kessler Edwards. Monte is is like, this is what I like. Pick one and use him.

There is something to be said about keeping the chemistry of the team and making minor adjustments. Adding a big name on a 20-30 million contract immediately changes the culture.

It could also be Monte thinking the team has players Brown didn't use, like Kessler and Queta. Forcing Brown's hands to use the players Monte already brought in. Monte went ahead and brought in 3 more 6'7ish light skinned dudes to go along with Kessler Edwards. Monte is is like, this is what I like. Pick one and use him.
From the move of 24th pick it surely shows Monte wanted to add that big player, it just didn’t work as he expected. I appreciate Monte but let’s not try to look for a silverlining for everything he did.

From the move of 24th pick it surely shows Monte wanted to add that big player, it just didn’t work as he expected. I appreciate Monte but let’s not try to look for a silverlining for everything he did.
And Shams flat out said the Kings had an offer on the table for Beal. Even if not true players are going to believe it.

Monte already cooked, now he's just letting everything simmer so the flavors can come together next season!
A few weeks ago, when Monte made the pilgrimage to my nona's for her legendary lasagna, he asked the secret to her legendary sauce. She peered into his soul, knowing he was asking about more than the sauce. She could see Monte was ready to hear the ancient words of wisdom. "Let it simmer" she said in her soft but steely voice. Monte nodded slowly. He knew he had received what he came for.

We all enjoyed the rest of the meal in quiet, knowing anticipation of the next Kings season.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago, when Monte made the pilgrimage to my nona's for her legendary lasagna, he asked what the secret was for her legendary sauce. She peered into his soul, knowing Monte was asking about more than the sauce. She could see he was ready to hear the ancient words of wisdom. "Let it simmer" she said in her soft voice. Monte nodded slowly, he knew he had received what he came for.

We all enjoyed the rest of the meal in a quiet, knowing anticipation of the next Kings season.
I had a feeling that's what happened.

dude12

Hall of Famer
It’s understandable to ***** and complain if a team that doesn’t make the playoffs, runs it back. But this team is on the upswing, so you run it back with a few tweaks.

Someone was talking about Denver and how they were making small changes in the last years as they had their pieces in place but kept changing the role players….like we will be doing