Kings trade Richaun Holmes and 24th overall pick to Mavericks for ????

Yes and no.

Can only imagine the pressure on Monte. The league is built on the principle of "what have you done for me lately". There is a slew of COTYs who get fired within a couple of seasons of winning the awards and GMs who turn from darlings to nemesis. We had our Cinderella story. Now we need to take the next step. If we don't, or worse, fare worse than last year, the media and fans might turn pretty soon. We will also have a target on our back next year.

The risk of course is that Monte is forced to overpay for some player(s) to use the cap space. After trading the FRP, there is lots of pressure and expectation to not run it back. He also knows that this is the last chance to get a FA for the current version of the Kings. If he is unable to get the guy he has targeted, does he overpay other players in order to use the cap, and hope for trades later? Using the cap would be a smart move, overpaying, obviously not.

Easy for us armchair GMs to list our preferences, and the worth we assign to players. Let's see what we can land, particularly if the plan is to use part of the space to up Domas' salary, and bring back Lyles. We will need to get at least one more center (even if Neemias is ready to contribute), one starting PF/SF, and hopefully bring back Lyles. Given the requirements, the available space doesn't seem much (once we add up Domas' raise, Lyles' cap hold, and Neemias' QO, I guess we will have something like 20M to get a backup center, and a starting quality SF/PF). Sounds less in fact.
In general I agree with this. It's less cap space than it seems.

I think the national media types speculating on a "big move" for the Kings are partly hoping for a big headline to report. They live in the world "big news". So a bunch of smaller ones (that make sense for us) aren't nearly as fun to speculate about (nor do they get the ratings). Beware the carnival barkers.

Admit it Sactown, you got a little too far out on your skis and you got called on it.
No, I agree he's not the worst contract, I specifically said worst VALUE contract. IMO, backup C is the worst value contract in the league if it's starter level money. Now, that can be debated all day, but in looking around the league you don't want to pay starter money to a backup C right now. I said that from day 1 once Holmes became a backup. We have to see what Simmons does next season. If he's healthy he'll come back. Had Holmes been a King still, he doesn't play. If Simmons is healthy, he plays.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Could not agree more. However, can't see Bucks trading him as he is a perfect fit next to Giannis the same way he would be a perfect fit next to Sabonis
It's wishful thinking on my part. However, all this buzz about Monte going after Middleton is I believe a feint by Monte to bid up the price on Middleton, thereby indirectly putting the financial squeeze on the Bucks to unload Bug Eyes or maybe some other assets on the Bucks. Just like I think the Draymond-Kings buzz is a feint - Monte just wants to put the squeeze to the Warriors as much as possible by bidding up the Draymond price tag.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Honestly unless there’s some crazy obvious upgrade out there, i don’t want us spending on one bigger name player. Give me depth Vs overpaying a Kuzma type
I agree. When I look at Kuzma play he gives me the same feeling that I get watching Porzingis - both are talented underachievers that never seem to have the impact on the game that their size or talent would indicate. I can only surmise that their competitive spirit is subpar.

I agree. When I look at Kuzma play he gives me the same feeling that I get watching Porzingis - both are talented underachievers that never seem to have the impact on the game that their size or talent would indicate. I can only surmise that their competitive spirit is subpar.
This. He very well could come here and be a perfect fit + prove me wrong and im open to that - i just hope it isn't at the cost of depth and fit so we can fill some other holes.

It's wishful thinking on my part. However, all this buzz about Monte going after Middleton is I believe a feint by Monte to bid up the price on Middleton, thereby indirectly putting the financial squeeze on the Bucks to unload Bug Eyes or maybe some other assets on the Bucks. Just like I think the Draymond-Kings buzz is a feint - Monte just wants to put the squeeze to the Warriors as much as possible by bidding up the Draymond price tag.
Hope this is true. I was clamoring last off season for us to sign him, BUT id be really skeptical of draymond bringing much positivity to this group AND with warriors moving poole for Chris Paul, this seems like an effort to squeeze every last drop out of the group they can, i doubt the warriors let him go. Also hope monte doesn't sign an inury prone 32 y/o to a $120M contract

https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/...y-were-very-close-to-ayton-trade-around-draft

Important info as Dallas tried to include R. Holmes in a trade to Suns.
I'm calling BS on that, why the heck would the Suns consider that? This has every bit the feel of someone trying to depress the market for Ayton or to give Ayton the idea that sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side. lol. That or Stein is trying to get someone to pay up for the story, hahaha.

Mr. McNair is certainly keeping everyone guessing. We are pretty sure Sasha is coming over from Greece, but what is his next move? He may have two or three targets in mind--depending on player interest--and is waiting until the starting pistol goes off to put his plans into action. (This assumes he plays by the rules and is not calling agents already.) It may be something totally unexpected, with all the salary cap he has accumulated via the Holmes-Prosper trade.

Honestly, right now im hope we just sign back HB($15M/yr) and Target Lopez as our FA signing) ($20M) usong our cap and bring in Sasha using part of the MLE ($6-7M) and bring back lyles using the rest of the ($6-7M). Then throw a BAE or vet minimum to get a combo 1/2 guard and call it.

I thing brook lopez cover deficiencies for Sabonis (defensive and outside shooting) and with him/sabonis and Murray on the front line, rebounding shouldn't be a problem.

Fox/Mitchell/3rd Guard
Huerter/Monk/3rd Guard/Ellis
Murray/HB/Edwards
Sabonis/Sasha/Murray
Lopez/Lyles/Sabonis

Only worry is sabonis chasing stretch 4s,but Lopez will be able to cover some of those deficiencies at the rim. But i suspect tha Murray should take a step forward defensively this year.

Last edited:
Mitchell + 1st round for Zack Lavine. Bulls wants to trade him. Let's GO!!!
Not sure he really improves us enough in the areas where we were deficient. He also needs the ball to he effective which is why he and Derozan didn't really work well. Fox is the PG version of Derozan, can imagine he would be a better fit for us.

Lavine is actually a damn good player - and his defense for Team USA was spectalur. If he was locked in at playing a winning role and healthy - I’d be all for it. And Monk could take on more PG duties.

BUT - I think Lavine has a bad knee and his contract is going to be horrible going forward.

Last edited:
Not sure he really improves us enough in the areas where we were deficient. He also needs the ball to he effective which is why he and Derozan didn't really work well. Fox is the PG version of Derozan, can imagine he would be a better fit for us.
The Kings needs someone that can spell Fox in the playoffs from constant carrying. LaVine would easily fill that role.

I don't really think so. You can't have too many pick and roll able players these days. I mean, the cost difference is what it is but regardless, LaVine is a legit star, Monk is a good, good hot and cold spark.
I just think in terms of what we'd be paying too.

I'd rather spend all that money on someone that fulfills more needs rather than break the bank on lavine

Mitchell + 1st round for Zack Lavine. Bulls wants to trade him. Let's GO!!!
He's a true 2nd/3rd star. I'd throw everything minus Keegan for him. People don't realize how dynamic Fox-LaVine can be. People have a big misconception that he's injury prone, but in the last 4 years, he's played more games than Fox.

He's finally healthy and I would bet big on him.

He's a true 2nd/3rd star. I'd throw everything minus Keegan for him. People don't realize how dynamic Fox-LaVine can be. People have a big misconception that he's injury prone, but in the last 4 years, he's played more games than Fox.

He's finally healthy and I would bet big on him.
No one doubts his capabilities, health maybe but i dont think anyone doubts his ability. Just that he needs the ball to be effective. Playong next to Derozan didnt work and Fox abd Derozan have a very similar style of play that also requires them to have the ball.

No one doubts his capabilities, health maybe but i dont think anyone doubts his ability. Just that he needs the ball to be effective. Playong next to Derozan didnt work and Fox abd Derozan have a very similar style of play that also requires them to have the ball.
Didn't work on what level? Winning? Maybe, but we know there's more in on that. They have little depth and Lonzo getting hurt has totally derailed them partly because of that. DeRozan and LaVine succeeded at the same time individually so it wasn't like a Fox/Hali situation for sure. Williams is a good role player but that was a bad draft year if you needed stars in hindsight they take Hali but eh. Their problem is they can't really upgrade their roster at this point, LaVine would no doubt upgrade the Kings roster and the Kings have some depth in place already. If the Bulls run it back I think the can become a bubble playoff team, the Kings could become a contender if it worked.

it appears part of the goal is to extend Sabonis and that likely could not have been done without the trade. I assume he has 2 free agents he is after and if those fall through worst case scenerio he has a locked up sabonis, Barnes and Sasha.
it could absolutely been done without the trade if you were willing to pay a bit of Luxury tax.

all that could have been done without selling the 24 pick (who was a good fit at 3 and D) for basically 25M.

it could absolutely been done without the trade if you were willing to pay a bit of Luxury tax.

all that could have been done without selling the 24 pick (who was a good fit at 3 and D) for basically 25M.
Alright walk me through it. Barnes gets 18-20 mil a year and Sabonis wants close to max

Yes and no.

Can only imagine the pressure on Monte. The league is built on the principle of "what have you done for me lately". There is a slew of COTYs who get fired within a couple of seasons of winning the awards and GMs who turn from darlings to nemesis. We had our Cinderella story. Now we need to take the next step. If we don't, or worse, fare worse than last year, the media and fans might turn pretty soon. We will also have a target on our back next year.

The risk of course is that Monte is forced to overpay for some player(s) to use the cap space. After trading the FRP, there is lots of pressure and expectation to not run it back. He also knows that this is the last chance to get a FA for the current version of the Kings. If he is unable to get the guy he has targeted, does he overpay other players in order to use the cap, and hope for trades later? Using the cap would be a smart move, overpaying, obviously not.

Easy for us armchair GMs to list our preferences, and the worth we assign to players. Let's see what we can land, particularly if the plan is to use part of the space to up Domas' salary, and bring back Lyles. We will need to get at least one more center (even if Neemias is ready to contribute), one starting PF/SF, and hopefully bring back Lyles. Given the requirements, the available space doesn't seem much (once we add up Domas' raise, Lyles' cap hold, and Neemias' QO, I guess we will have something like 20M to get a backup center, and a starting quality SF/PF). Sounds less in fact.
I don't think Kings fans, after missing the playoffs for 16 years straight, are going to riot if the team competes for a championship over the next 5 years yet falls short (looking at you, Bills fan).

This whole post reeks of seriously strong recency bias.

Kings fans were just happy to get an invite to the dance this year. Even if it takes 3 years to reach the Western Conf Finals, these fans are here for it.

I don't think Kings fans, after missing the playoffs for 16 years straight, are going to riot if the team competes for a championship over the next 5 years yet falls short (looking at you, Bills fan).

This whole post reeks of seriously strong recency bias.

Kings fans were just happy to get an invite to the dance this year. Even if it takes 3 years to reach the Western Conf Finals, these fans are here for it.
After 17 years of sucking, I am definitely not on the “championship or bust” team at all. I just want to enjoy the seasons and be competitive while also being a well run and respected organization. The deeper the playoff run, the more fun it gets of course, but my expectations are not sky high.

Mr. McNair is certainly keeping everyone guessing. We are pretty sure Sasha is coming over from Greece, but what is his next move? He may have two or three targets in mind--depending on player interest--and is waiting until the starting pistol goes off to put his plans into action. (This assumes he plays by the rules and is not calling agents already.) It may be something totally unexpected, with all the salary cap he has accumulated via the Holmes-Prosper trade.
Monte certainly came out of nowhere with the Sabonis and Huerter deals. Hell, I wasn't expecting monk for relatively cheap either.